Options

HITCH DROP. Can someone please just help. I can’t figure this out.

So, I measured the car and it’s 16 3/4” to the car measurement (A) and 15 3/4” when I asked Den to get in the back of our Ford Edge to make it heavier. NüCamp says to expect 16”(B) for the Boondock. I understand both of these measurements may fluctuate based on weight in the TV and/or the T@B so I think we want an adjustable. We won’t be towing anything but the T@B. Is this what I need? Is there anything I am missing? Thank you so much! My brain is exhausted from reading and learning for sure.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45812?fbclid=IwAR3olH-sQPDJ3Jvd5JWOK1EjdxU1guUS4z38nt6hLLoDIv2dyvxEPupt-Ig

and then do you recommend a stainless steel ball so it doesn’t rust? It’s about twice the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-40052-CURT-Trailer/dp/B0009T6EBG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1549656937&sr=1-1&keywords=40052+curt&fbclid=IwAR21fxL75paA7-ThOqBa0vrLYtwefe-slqZ6mu1ifPVpAzKPF1CjHFAd_dA

I am a a nervous wreck trying to get all of this in order. Our T@B is off the line, Austin finishes our mods today so it’s time for that last minute hustle.

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
Custom Colors & Custom Interior
We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

Comments

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414

• Options
    And we have the factory tow package but this is our assembly. https://accessories.ford.com/exterior/trailer-towing/kit-trailer-hitch-bar-11472.html

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited February 2019
    You are over thinking it.   

If you need to go out with a yard stick and get an eyeball measurement,   then best guess the amount of drop or rise you need to hit the recommended height,   then go to autozone, or oreillys or advanced auto find the right receiver and ask them to let you put it on your vehicle for a more precise measurement.   A simple try it before you buy it.      I would buy it from them just because its the right thing to do.

I have the old cheap ball,   who cares if it rust,  I take it off the truck when I am not using it.   Cost me 5 bucks 30 years ago and has successfully hauled countless toys.    Not sure why you need that fancy receiver hitch?     Again I have a non adjustable cheapo from the car parts store,  probably 30 years old as well.     you can get a two inch drop with a ball for $25 bucks at walmart. 

I am a kiss sort of guy,  keep it simple stupid.     that drop hitch looks too complicated and expensive for what it is.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    I let the dealer get me set up with correct hitch, sway, and brake controller.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you are picking the trailer up from a dealer, ask them to set you up with the correct ball mount. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    ColleenD2 said:
    The brochure says the hitch is a class 2, the one you listed is a class 3. Different size shanks. You need to get the correct class and ball size.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    I don’t believe buying at the dealer is a choice. He doesn’t have a store or anything fancy. Just a good guy, a pole barn and good prices.

• Options
    Thanks everyone. And one life glitch right now, it’s 12° and I have a broken tow and had surgery so I can’t wear anything but a flip flop for 2 weeks so I am trying to do it from home. Also, the car is parked .4 miles away and I can’t walk to it to measure. Haha I guess the lesson is I wait until the last minute and go to the auto parts store on the way to pickup. Our dealer is 3 hours away, plenty of places to shop between here and there.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2019
    @ColleenD2, when we went to pick up our new Tab, we (I) tried to have the hitch all ready, with the correct drop, just as you are.

I was sure I'd measured everything right and had the hitch, ball and everything ready...

Got to the dealer, and he showed me how wrong I had it! Well, wrong enough to matter, anyway.

Luckily, there was a NAPA parts store right down the road, still open. Ran down there, picked up one with the right drop, and it came with the ball...
    Edit: come to think of it, it didn't come with the ball, but they were kind enough to bolt on the ball for me, with their tools.  

Only a $35 lesson. Not too bad.

Might be best to wait to 'try it on', if you can. Is there a parts store near your dealer? Or has the dealer a selection of hitches?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    The height adjustment can just add one more rattle spot to the reciever hitch.  Just figure out the correct height and buy it.  If you are a little off, it is better to be a bit low in front rather than too high in front.
    You can also buy a U shaped clamp that can take out the rattle where the reciever slides into the reciever hitch on the tow vehicle.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Colleen, OUCH! Sorry you’ve had such a tough time! Here’s what I did. Took a measurement from flat ground to the top of the receiver. In theory the top of the ball on the hitch piece should be 16” up from the ground. That gives you a fair idea of the depth of drop hitch you will need. Off the top of my head I’m not sure how tall the ball itself is. I do know it is a 2” receiver setup, which is standard for the weight you’re pulling, etc. When we bought our Ascent this fall I did the same measuring to figure out the right drop. Our Highlander takes a 2” drop hitch, the Subaru Ascent takes a 10” drop hitch. I’ll try to post a few pics to help when you can get to your tow vehicle. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Also consider that your vehicle is likely to squat a bit from the weight of the tongue, so even if you calculate everything to a theoretical fraction of an inch, there is still going to be some unpredictability.
    I tend to agree with ChanW that if you can wait to "try it on" this task will be a whole lot easier.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    The ball itself is 2 1/2 inches high.

jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    ColleenD2 said:
    So, I measured the car and it’s 16 3/4” to the car measurement (A) and 15 3/4” when I asked Den to get in the back of our Ford Edge to make it heavier. NüCamp says to expect 16”(B) for the Boondock. I understand both of these measurements may fluctuate based on weight in the TV and/or the T@B so I think we want an adjustable. We won’t be towing anything but the T@B. Is this what I need? Is there anything I am missing? Thank you so much! My brain is exhausted from reading and learning for sure.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45812?fbclid=IwAR3olH-sQPDJ3Jvd5JWOK1EjdxU1guUS4z38nt6hLLoDIv2dyvxEPupt-Ig

and then do you recommend a stainless steel ball so it doesn’t rust? It’s about twice the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-40052-CURT-Trailer/dp/B0009T6EBG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1549656937&sr=1-1&keywords=40052+curt&fbclid=IwAR21fxL75paA7-ThOqBa0vrLYtwefe-slqZ6mu1ifPVpAzKPF1CjHFAd_dA

I am a a nervous wreck trying to get all of this in order. Our T@B is off the line, Austin finishes our mods today so it’s time for that last minute hustle.

I understand your frustration, establishing an even ride level between tow vehicle and camper is not easy.  Unfortunately, a simple B-A=C equation does not allow for variables like typical tv and camper loads and impact of tongue weight on rear suspension, etc.  The collection of your T@b from the dealer may not be the best time to make a correct judgement.   When I first purchased our T@b, I already had an adjustable ball mount, which I use for a couple of utility trailers I own.  This allowed me to adjust and test for the perfect ride height.  However, once I had determined the correct drop (8" for my Cherokee Trailhawk). I purchased the appropriate mount.  I would not recommend long term/distance use of an adjustable mount for a camper since that adjustment mechanism introduces an additional element of mechanical play that can be very irritating and uncomfortable.  My recommendation therefore is to purchase an adjustable mount (or ideally borrow!) from somewhere that will allow you to return/exchange it for the perfect permanent mount.  It is well worth taking the trouble to get it right.  Hope this is helpful.  Good luck!
  • Options
    GeonTracieGeonTracie Member Posts: 27
    With my Jeep Liberty I knew there would be drop so before picking up our T@B I installed air leveling bags in the rear coil springs. If I have a light load, let out some air. Heavier load, add some air.

2018 T@B Outback
    2016 Jeep JKU TV
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    edited February 2019
    Keep it simple,  measure the hitch height of your trailer when level.  Buy a drawbar that puts the top of the ball 1 1/2 to 2" higher.  When hooked up you will have a 1 1/2" to 2" settle.  Stainless steel is not necessary as you need to keep a thin film of grease on the ball. You could add some timbren or sumosprings if needed.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Thank you all. I appreciate it the help.

• Options

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @ColleenD2 Don't spend the extra money on the stainless ball. You can buy a cheap rubber cover that will keep the ball clean and rust free.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    dmerzbac said:
    @ColleenD2 Don't spend the extra money on the stainless ball. You can buy a cheap rubber cover that will keep the ball clean and rust free.

Or the neighbor dog's tennis ball that keeps finding it's way into our yard...
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Great idea! 

• Options
    @ColleenD2 I've never covered the ball. I do recommend a can of silicone spray in your tool kit and spray the ever loving out of the underside of the mount and the lift handle, and some on the ball the first time or two. They tend to be tight until you've used them a few times and they loosen just a bit. there's also a learning curve to them. Not hard, just takes a bit of practice to see what works for you. Stop, breathe, and enjoy the journey! Also, any great goofs make great campfire stories and we all have them!  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options

• Options
    @ColleenD2 Looks like a fancy version, and will work. You can buy it in any hardware store. Works well on your keder rail, squeaky door hinges, etc. I brought it when we picked up Ladybug and the tech gave the whole hitch and ball set up a good dousing with it. I also use it twice a year on my garage door runners to keep them running smoothly in the tracks. Very handy stuff! I look forward to seeing pics of your new 320U! The wait can be hard, huh? Try not to overthink and over buy. It is always a work in progress. Last winter I decided to reorganize things while I had down time. That sort of backfired as I couldn't remember where I had moved some items to, just where I had originally put things.  :)
  • Options
    JonJon Member Posts: 8
    I hate to start a new thread so I'm hoping someone will find this here.  I see the 320 info above, but does anyone know the coupler (bottom) height for a std/non-Boondock 2019 Tab 400?  I don't see it on the nuCamp website.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly @Jon it is 20".  I set my hitch ball height at 22" and my trailer pulls level.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @Jon my bad, yours is a non- Boondock so set your ball height on TV at 10-20" and you should be level when towing.  What do you tow with?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama