Options

Fantastic Fan Upgrade to 7350 - dramatic improvement in efficiency

DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
After reading previous posts about the benefits of upgrading Fantastic Fan to 7350 in my 400.  I upgraded prior to a recent 3800 round mile trip to Florida which included some dry camping (Walmart, Cracker Barrel ..) and from 14 to 86 degrees.  After the upgrade, the fan not only was remarkably quieter, had fourteen speeds instead of three and had a handy remote control but it appeared to be less of an energy hog.  I received a Camping World catalog yesterday which had an interesting table of Amp Draw comparison between the three speed fans and the 14 speed Model 7350.  The three speed fans draw 3 - 2.29 -1.86 A at Low, Med and High speeds while the 7330 only draws 0.2 - 1.9A throughout its speed range (low to high).  Pretty remarkable that the draw at low speed is 15 times higher with the three speed fans. 
I know others have noted increased efficiency with the upgrade but to see the actual numbers highlighted the advantage during dry camping even more.
2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
Massachusetts

Comments

• Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    Did you replace it yourself? If so, how difficult was it?
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • Options
    I did the upgrade myself with the upgrade kit.  It wasn't too hard after re-reading the instructions and viewing YouTube videos.  The upgrade from the kit can be done inside the Tab without disturbing the seals.  The most important issue is obtaining the correct kit as I have read there are two versions one with corner cutouts (newer models) and the other with straight corners (older models).  
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    This sounds like a great idea. How do I know which model fan I have in a 2018  320S ?
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing
    Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
    2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
    Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I understand that Fantastic Fan customer service is really good and should be able to help you locate the model number and appropriate upgrade kit.   customersupportcenter@dometic.com
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I can attest to the huge difference in using the upgraded Fantastic Fan over the 3-speed Fan.

The factory was not aware that I, and many others, were not able to regularly use the 3 speed FF while boondocking due to the heavy power consumption. I can now use the upgraded fan daily to exhaust the heat (it’s finally getting warmer in the desert!). The remote control is an added plus.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    How does this compare to replacing the original Fantastic Fan with a MaxxAir Fan Deluxe, installation effort aside?
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    @DenisP ;  nice summary, Thanks.

For those of us not ready to invest the $$ of an upgrade kit, you might review the discussion to change the 3-speed FF to variable speed.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I don’t know personally how the FF 7350 compares to the Maxxair Deluxe beyond the online reviews. The FF is supposed to be a bit quieter but the built in hood of the Maxxair has its advantages also. I had installed a fan cover previously over the FF on my 400 so I decided to go the upgrade route and not disturb the roof seal. 
    The remarkable thing to me is the fan motor and fan blades are the same but the performance and convenience is quite different with the bonus of significantly lower energy use at all speeds but the highest. My DW loves the fan and the ease of control. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Dear Wife in my reference. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    @DenisP
    Would you mind posting a link to the kit which fit your 400?  Seems like a great boondocking uppgrade
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    @Awca12a  Here is a link to the kit which fits my 2018 400: https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Fantastic-Vent/FV807357.html
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited January 2021
    Yup. This upgrade was a game-changer for me. I was perfectly comfortable with the fan only at about 7500' in 80 degree weather (dry heat) with fan usage and it did not exceed my ability to replenish with solar. I have the range breakdown on my power co sumption spreadsheet.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Does this same upgrade apply to the 320?
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    Yes. I believe @jkjenn has a 320 which she has made the great spreadsheet tracking specific power usage posted. The upgrade is specific to the vintage of the fantastic fan as there are two types of flanges as noted in previous discussions about the upgrade. My 2018 400 fan has indented corners and at some time earlier the corners are straight. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    There was a thread last summer about replacing the controller on the stock fan.  Using a PWM controller with a rheostat style switch instead of the three speed switch, there were reports the amp usage was much lower than the stock fan, with less fan and motor noise, also.  There are some mentions of the amp savings in the thread, and some owners might find it an easier mod than having to work on top of the trailer.   If I can do it....

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    This mod is done inside the camper. You don’t need to go on the roof
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Thanks, I don't think I worded that well....

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    In addition to the reduction in power consumption the upgrade provided wireless remote to control the variable speeds reverse and thermostat control of the fan.  One feature provided, I didn't install was the rain sensor as I have a Aero-flo cover on the fan.  
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    jmiller808jmiller808 Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2019
    I insta6ins the upgrade kit in my 320 last night for the better energy efficiency but am curious if you are having a similar issue to what I'm having.

It seems the remote only seems to want to work if I have it pointed directly at the fan in a very specific location. And it's pure luck if I hit the right spot.

Anyone else have that issue and have a fix? I searched to the end of the internet and have not found anything about it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @jmiller808 I haven't experienced that issue and I purchased additional remote so I could have one mounted between the door and the galley along with one by the head of the bed on my 400.  Both remotes operate the fan from their mounted position and when removed.  Most of the time they stay in their mounts without issue.  Another reason for the second remote is that the upgraded fan will only operate with a remote so if it is lost you can't operate the fan.  
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Ok. Wonder if the IR sensor in mine is being interfered with some how. I may have to take it out and take a look
  • Options
    Just for the heck of it, replace the remote batteries first to see if that makes a difference.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Good call @DenisP. Apparently the brand new batteries they package with the remote were junk. A fresh set of Duracell was just what it needed.

Now to experiment and see if I can program my Logitech Harmony remote to work with it so I can have everything controlled with just 1 remote, multiple remotes laying around irks me to no end
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Does this upgrade do anything about the whining noise? It is quite loud on any speed except high. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    It definitely seems quieter to me. But results might vary depending on which type of motor your existing fan is, the install instructions showed 2 different motors.
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    @JeffroNC call Dometic (owners of Fantastic Fan) and explain what is going on. They may just give you a new one if it’s not too old.  (866) 869-3118
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2019
    I recently installed this upgrade.  It works great, except for one small glitch.  When the rain sensor detects moisture, it closes the dome automatically as it should but the fan continues to run.  The reason is that Dometic presumes that the original fan has a plunger switch mounted in the frame/garnish that cuts power to the fan motor when the dome closes.  The fans we get from the factory have no such switches because they are entirely manual.  Has anyone attempted to retrofit a plunger switch so that the fan motor stops whenever the dome closes?  I know I can call Dometic.  I'm asking whether anyone here has actually done it before I bother.  For those interested, this appears to be the part that's missing.  http://www.dyersonline.com/atwood-fan-tastic-vent-plunger-style-dome-switch.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp_7vgN7Z4QIVCrXACh2cPQf_EAQYASABEgJQAfD_BwE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    I removed the rain sensor as I have a cover over the fan. I had read that some people had problems with the rain sensor in high humidity locations so instead of any potential false closures, I never installed the sensor. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2019
    DenisP said:
    I removed the rain sensor as I have a cover over the fan. I had read that some people had problems with the rain sensor in high humidity locations so instead of any potential false closures, I never installed the sensor. 
    It takes some getting used to but the rain sensor works fine, even in humid conditions.  You just have to override it, raise the hood to get some airflow, and then reactivate it.  I like it much better than the bulky covers which can spoil the teardrop profile.  If I can get a dome switch to work, it should suit my needs well.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax