Options

Front window rock protection

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Use only this product. Available at Walmart or Home Depot.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    We just need Dale to come up with one of these for our T@Bs, with a hole for the hitch to stick out while towing  😁

Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    I like it
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    edited April 2019
    @Dalehelman you used the double sided tape to attache the & channel, no screws, correct?

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    lkc001 said:
    @Dalehelman you used the double sided tape to attache the & channel, no screws, correct?

Correct 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman--thanks!  another great mod from the master =)
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @ADRawli  Is that a for real thing?

Woohoo!
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @lkc001 It really is.  I have a neighbor at the other end of the block that has two of them. You can find them on Amazon for around $240-$330, depending on size:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07PQPQXW9/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_size_name=3&qid=1555700777&sr=8-37
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    Does the stone come from passing cars or from your tv kicking it up?
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    Vehicles going in the opposite direction. Opposing vehicles doing 60 mph each equals a rock doing 120 mph. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited April 2019
    Vehicles going in the opposite direction. Opposing vehicles doing 60 mph each equals a rock doing 120 mph. 
    Sorry, but this is not right.

The incoming vehicule will act as a rock or a solid structure and technicaly will not move.  So same force will apply and result.  If a car hit a semi trailer truck at same speed, of hit an in coming semilar vehicule that come faster (like let say twice the speed) them more energy than a rock will be transmited toward the slower and/or lighter vehicule and this last one will have supported more energy.  But not necessarly twice as stated up-here for equal opposing speed.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    Luckyj said:
    Sorry, but this is not right.

The incoming vehicule will act as a rock, and technicaly will not move.  So same force will aplly and result.  If a car hit a semi trailer truck at same speed, of hit an in coming semilar vehicule that come faster (like let say twice the speed) them more energy than a rock will be transmited.
    Thanks for the clarification. I think.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I think what Dalehelman was saying is that opposing velocities combine.  If a rock is moving at 60 mph and you are moving at 60 mph in the opposite direction the effect is the same as if a rock were moving at 120 mph and you were stationary.  In real life, if an opposing vehicle moving at 60 mph were to kick up a rock, the rock would probably not attain 60 mph.  However, even if the rock was kicked up and was stationary (in relation to the highway) and you were moving, the rock would have the force (f=ma) of your velocity.  Enough to chip a window on your vehicle--as I have discovered several times.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    (kinetic energy)
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited April 2019
    I think what Dalehelman was saying is that opposing velocities combine.  If a rock is moving at 60 mph and you are moving at 60 mph in the opposite direction the effect is the same as if a rock were moving at 120 mph and you were stationary.  In real life, if an opposing vehicle moving at 60 mph were to kick up a rock, the rock would probably not attain 60 mph.  However, even if the rock was kicked up and was stationary (in relation to the highway) and you were moving, the rock would have the force (f=ma) of your velocity.  Enough to chip a window on your vehicle--as I have discovered several times.
    I know excatly what is was saying, but it is not thrue.  Use to think that my self too.  As a paramedic, how work and traumas scene analyses depend on speed ans energy.  But After talking to a doc after a face to face impact between a 1990 ish jeep cherokee and a 53 ft semi at 60 miles per hour, the doc told me that my assesment of the twice thw speed was wrong got me into searching and I realized how wrong I was.

it is physic 101.  ;)

this will explain it way better than I can.  :)

http://warp.povusers.org/grrr/collisionmath.html
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Another way of thinking of it is all the kinetic energy carried by vehicles or brick walls (0.0) is converted to damage when stopped, aside the karmic debt portion.  KE = 1/2 m v^2.  A vehicle doing 50m/s carries four times the energy of one doing 25m/s.  But two vehicles at 25m/s carry only twice the energy.  So yup, not the same as twice the speed.  Still twice what one car at 25m/s carries.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    DougH said:
    Another way of thinking of it is all the kinetic energy carried by vehicles or brick walls (0.0) is converted to damage when stopped, aside the karmic debt portion.  KE = 1/2 m v^2.  A vehicle doing 50m/s carries four times the energy of one doing 25m/s.  But two vehicles at 25m/s carry only twice the energy.  So yup, not the same as twice the speed.  Still twice what one car at 25m/s carries.
    Now you did it no more camping for me.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    DougH said:
    My brain hurts. Are the equations always in metric? I always hated physics for that. Now, dilutions in metric, no problem for me. It's physics, not math in general. lol
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    Very nice work. Get ready a lot of folks are going to know just how you did it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    And I’m going to refer them to DH John!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nice!
    Success!  One less thing to worry about.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    My general observation is that people who worry about things must maintain a certain worry balance. I.e., once you solve one problem another arises to take it's place.  ;-)
    Nice cover, though! Can it stay in place as the window open thus doubling as a translucent privacy screen or sun shade? It sorta' looks like it can.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Yes Scott.  We are already onto our next worry to fill that worry void!  The new worry involves a raised, cargo platform for the van cabin to allow for a flat surface.  John is on his second trip to Home Depot.  Not done with this project.  This is going to be a real redneck solution, so, no pictures will follow.  If we like the idea, I may recruit someone with real skills to copy the prototype.

The window cover plastic u channels are mounted directly on the lexan, so, yes, you can open the window and it acts to diffuse the light.  I much prefer my red and white striped window covers😁
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM

I did place a layer of this plastic between the Coroplast and the window. To prevent the possibility of scratching the window.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Expressions-Insta-Cling-Window-Tint-Extra-Dark-5/16672493

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Good to know @Dalehelman.  I see a trip to Walmart in the very near (immediate) future🙂
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I tried the plastic....I was unsuccessful, lol. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @Dalehelman, the Cling Window film worked nicely.  Did you put a nut behind those screws?  Our u channel holes are not threaded.  How do you get the screws to stay put?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    I uses a thread tap to thread the hole for the thumb screw.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Ok, tape it is!