Annoying tailgaters

What kind of camera can I get to keep an eye on tailgaters on two lane roads? I don’t need a back up camera that only works in reverse but one that works while driving. Or is there a set of big mirrors I can buy that will let me see behind?
2017 Tab 320 S
2014 Mazda CX 5
Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.

Comments

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2019

As for mirrors, there are extensions you can buy for very little that snap onto your existing ones.  I had a pair and they worked well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-3891-Universal-Trailer/dp/B001AJH1HK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Extended+View+Tow+Mirror&qid=1553533659&s=gateway&sr=8-4
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    edited March 2019
    Check out an outfit called NuVending (nuvending.com).  Despite the name they have nothing to do with nuCamp.  Look for 

NUCAM WR WATER RESISTANT HD WIRELESS CAMERA WITH NIGHT VISION, MAGNETIC BASE & BUILT-IN BATTERY

The magnet is one seriously strong magnet but there really isn't anything on a TAB to attach it to.  I fabricated a steel plate and attached it to a quick-release plate to mount it on my tripod.  I set the tripod on the bed pointing out the window.
    The camera is really a nice camera.  It gives a good view behind but only has a 100 degree field of view.  That however is enough.  By the time a passing vehicle leaves the camera view it is well into my side mirrors.
    The really nice thing, in my opinion, is that it does not require a monitor mounted on the dash.  The signal is sent via bluetooth to your cell phone or iPad.  You can record the signal on your iPad or phone to review later if needed.
    The internal battery is usb rechargeable and the camera will function while plugged in.  So far, for me, the camera batteries have lasted over 10 hours of continuous operation without being plugged into a USB port.  A full charge (they say) takes 4 hours, so plenty of time overnight to recharge.
    It is a bit pricey at $210.00 but has worked well for me.
    The view is about like the view on a vehicle backup camera--"objects may be closer than they appear'--but you soon adjust.

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I went with the Swifthitch camera. It comes with a pretty nice stainless steel ball with adhesive to mount to the T@b. It works really well

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have never had an issue knowing when someone was back there even when completely in the blind spot, I usually see them coming up and or going around curves, etc. On long straight Roads they usually just go around. If there is someone back there (even one), I usually start looking for a pullout, unless I know they will have a passing lane, long straight stretch, etc. Coming up in less than five minutes.

You should already be towing with enough mirrors to see down both sides, if not correct that, any wider mirrors may help, but not much if traffic is totally behind the trailer.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • NHCraigNHCraig Member Posts: 26
    Any backup camera will give you a rear view mirror if you wire it to power rather than the reverse (blue wire) lead.  I've done that on mine.  The only thing I had to work out was that at first I wired it right to the 12v power lead in the box.  Then, it's on all the time, which means the LED lights are on all night!  So I ran it to a plug in the battery box that I can connect when driving, disconnect when not.  I like the security of feeling like I've got that rear view mirror again.  The only thing to get used to is that things are a lot closer than they appear, since the camera I've got is meant as a backup camera.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2019
    I actually have found that 99.9% of drivers have been completely reasonable about our 'presence' on the highway. Polite & patient. 

It surprised me at first, I expected folks to be in a big hurry, and intolerant, but no!

I take the same attitude as @GatorEgg, and pay attention to what's ahead of me, letting the folks behind me do the same. I've got enough to worry about here up front!

I'll keep a close watch in the side mirrors for 'passers', but that's all I can really do, is be aware.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited March 2019
    I think that the main reason for wanting to see what's directly behind you (as opposed to in an adjacent lane) is knowing whether it's time to start looking for a pullout to let people pass. But usually that kind of road has plenty of bends where you can use your side mirrors to check if there's someone back there. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ChanW said:
    I actually have found that 99.9% of drivers have been completely reasonable about our 'presence' on the highway. Polite & patient. 

It surprised me at first, I expected folks to be in a big hurry, and intolerant, but no!

I take the same attitude as @GatorEgg, and pay attention to what's ahead of me, letting the folks behind me do the same. I've got enough to worry about here up front!

I'll keep a close watch in the side mirrors for 'passers', but that's all I can really do, is be aware.
    And truckers are pretty good at flashing their lights 9s you know you are good to change lanes.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Way better to kill your lights off, on to signal safe to move over. Flashing high beams is frowned on because it blinds the driver if they are looking in the mirror. Most trucks have an "interrupt" switch to momentarily kill power to the lights.
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Ok, so what is behind you is important.

emergency vehicules often comes from behind and all bit police cruiser have the acceleration to pass when ever they want.  Some roads are just way to dangerous to attemp passing w/o the vehicule in front slowing down or moving a side just a tad.  

But all this can not happen when you just look foward, thinking that what is behind you is none of your worries.

i am a Paramedic and a traveler.  In our neck of the wood, we only have one road and it is a two lane with only a couple passing area, many turns and many hills!  And that road is more than 400 miles long, no divided highway at all, no service road, hardly any dirt roads parrallel to this.  So sharing the road is very important.

so not taking care about what is behing you, when you are simply driving around, and site seing at the same time ( yep, the panorama is also very nice) creates a lot of frustration to the people following, and at one point, some will take a chance and double when it is not the right time.  So seeing what is behind you allows you to slow down a bit when a passing area is available, and or move a bit to the side and slowing down will let some drive by in a safe manner.

it will not prvent tailgaters, but it will rduce pressure from time t time.

the paramedic in me will thank you by hazzard blinking of some kind of signal light if I am in my personal vehicule.  :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Luckyj YES! Don't be oblivious to traffic except immediately in front of front bumper, DONT speed up in passing lanes, if anything slow down more, always pull off at 1st safe pullout when impeding traffic, how much traffic is a judgment call, but more than two probably indicates you are a problem and the more backed up behind you, the more frustrating for others and the more chances for unsafe passing, especially frustrating if you are ignoring safe pullouts. You can't control how much others tailgate, only how much you tailgate, just be a courteous driver instead of a me 1st driver and that is about all you can control.
    True story:
    I used to haul a sailboat up to a lake at 7500' each summer. I did this for 10 years so I knew the road pretty well.
    One year I was trucking up the mountain and there were a couple of guys in a beat-up old pickup truck in front of me who ignored every pull-out for at least 10 miles. I'm sure that it never occurred to them that the chick hauling the boat wanted to pass them. 😂
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Well, I'm always a courteous driver, driving the speed limit in the right hand lane.  It is the speeding tailgaters who are making it unsafe.  What kind of person inches up to a foot behind your vehicle?  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    edited May 2019
    Anyone ever see or try something similar to this solar license plate cam? Just saw it at Costco yesterday, $125. Stated range is "33' with no obstructions", so not really sure how likely it is to work. Note that the pics don't show anything but a flatbed utility trailer, and the few Amazon rating don't look great (connection issues).

However, this option on Amazon looks to be rated quite a bit better, but needs to be hard-wired. I assume the Tab400 has a license plate light, anyone know if that's a valid option (compared to brake-light wiring)?
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    I'll let you know.  I have one of these on order, but only because Costco has such a good return policy.  I am skeptical that the license plate light and the camera placement can coexist peacefully.  But I'll give it a try.

I see from the manufacturer's website that it released new firmware in November 2018.  I am hopeful that the bad reviews are because the prior firmware was buggy and the update corrected the connectivity issues.
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
    Excellent, I'll be curious to hear. I thought about just buying it as well, knowing I could return it.
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2019
    No joy. The top of the frame where the camera is mounted sticks out too far to get it up and under the license plate light. Thus, there’s no way to install it using the existing license plate screw holes. There are two tabs included with the kit that I suppose you could use to lower the whole frame and license plate, but I think the camera would then block the light that illuminates the plate. You wouldn’t be legal to drive it at night.  Drag. Back it goes. 
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
    Bummer, thanks for trying!
  • lisacolisaco Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2019
    I just purchased the Nucam wireless camera (thanks @falcon1970) for my 2020 T@B 320s Boondock Edge. Now I'm trying to figure out where to install it on the back of the camper using the magnet on the camera. I'm thinking about the area above the license plate (see attached photo). There is a screw there and I could get someone to install a metal plate for the camera's magnet to connect to. I'm wondering if the camera would be high enough to view vehicles behind the trailer? (about 3 1/2 feet from the screw to the ground) Or maybe I should try to install the camera higher on the bottom part of the Yakima basket? I will be using to camera for backing up purposes as well as seeing vehicles behind me on the highway. Thoughts?
    2020 T@B 320s Boondock Edge
    "XEN@ Road Warrior Princess"
    Portland, Oregon
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I just installed a wireless backup camera to the Yakima rack using the Yakima brackets and screws for the wind deflector (which is now in storage).  Ran a 12V line to the left turn signal/brake light wiring.  Works great while backing up or driving down the road at highway speeds - assuming you're not wearing polarized sunglasses. I'll post a photo later today.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @lisaco
    Looks like a good plan. 42" should be high enough to see vehicles behind you and certainly enough for backing into a campsite.  If you mount it outside the trailer I would rig up some sort of safety cable as well.  That magnet on the camera is pretty powerful but vibration and potholes may slide it off the metal plate.
    I mounted mine on a tripod sitting on the bed in my 400 and looking out the rear window.  That puts the camera at about 70" off the ground.  42" or 70", the view will be about the same if you have a semi right on your tail!

The orange bags are 5 lb sandbags from The Sandbag Store.  The idea is to keep the tripod and camera from bouncing around when I go over the whoop-de-do's on our Interstates.  If the tripod moves out of position the camera focuses on the window and not through the window.  Rather disconcerting until I realized what was happening.
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I purchased mirror extenders for my Sequoia to get a better view of what’s behind the 400.  It made quite a difference compared to opening the front and rear shades. But, I’m reminded of this quote from Cannonball Run. Disclaimer: I don’t condone this behavior.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I tried mirror extenders on my Tacoma for about a month, and I gave them to someone to drop off st Goodwill. 

Two nights in in a row, I almost T-boned a car in a roundabout because the mirrors hid the cars from my vision. Scared me!

If you use extended mirrors, be very careful of the big blind spot. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    The best safety device I have purchased over many years of towing is blindspot mirrors.  I have installed them on all the vehicles I have owned.  I mount them at the lower outer edge of each mirror, including extended mirrors when used for towing.  That placement leaves me plenty of visible mirror surface on the remainder of the mirror so I can see what is happening further behind me.  They are invaluable in seeing vehicles right next to you, especially on busy highways where you may have to make split-second decisions to avoid a collision.  Very inexpensive and a real life saver.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2019
    I took Atlas’s advice and anytime I tow our 400 we leave the front and rear shades open to allow for a great visual opening through the trailer.  This allows me to see whomever is behind the trailer while traveling down the road.  If for whatever reason we leave a jacket or hoodie hanging on the hook at the front of the trailer we stop and remove it.  

I have several theories why people might tailgate.  I think that since the 400 has such a high profile, people get behind the trailer and stay up close in an effort to draft (if you will) and reduce the effects of wind drag on their vehicle on long stretches of interstate highway driving.   Others might be trying to see inside the trailer and determine the manufacturer.   The last time I was at the factory I picked up an extra nuCamp emblem, mounted it on the drivers side of the trailer and suggested to them they put an emblem on the drivers side too (as opposed to just the passenger side) so people can identify who built it.  

But I agree, it’s frustrating when people tailgate on interstate highways.  There have been times when this occurs on long stretches of interstate and if it irritates me I turn on my turn signal and will get over and ride in the passing lane if conditions permit.  This usually works as the tailgater normally moves on up the road and things return to normal.  When I see traffic ahead starting to slow down I also flip on my 4-way emergency flashers to alert drivers behind me that a problem is coming up and to eliminate someone rear-ending the trailer.  

Distracted drivers who text and drive are the biggest safety concern out there today (along with alcohol & drugs) and this is another reason you need to know who’s behind you.  I’ve seen it all and it’s a sad day when professional semi-truck drivers are texting, watching TV, etc. and not paying attention when hauling a 10K pound plus cargo laden rig down the highway and swaying from dude to side, going off the edge of the road, etc.  You know who the real professionals are by their attentive and courteous actions.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    I have several theories why people might tailgate.  I think that since the 400 has such a high profile, people get behind the trailer and stay up close in an effort to draft (if you will) and reduce the effects of wind drag on their vehicle on long stretches of interstate highway driving.   Others might be trying to see inside the trailer and determine the manufacturer.
    On two lane roads folks may simply be trying to get a look around you so that they can pass. A trailer in tow is a big visual obstruction that is very hard to see around and size up for a pass. They are also shortening up the distance that they need to cover when they finally make a move to go by. When you tow you are not the fastest driver on the road. There is always going to be someone that wants to go faster. The best thing to do is just settle in and enjoy the ride.
    On an interstate where there is lot's of room for passing...that's annoying. Worse yet is someone that pulls into your blindspot and hovers there without moving by.