Options

Diamond Plate tub mounted correctly?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @Sharon_is_SAM Actually, I just received a call within the last hour from the owner of the dealership, and he was very apologetic.  They are a relatively “new” dealership to the nüCamp products, and he took full responsibility for the decision to replace the damaged tub with one from another unit.  He admitted that he had no idea they were different, but can definitely see the issue now.  I had to laugh when he suggested I might possibly consider a career working for the FAA.  He promised to work with nüCamp to get a correct replacement drop shipped to me directly, but just needed the logistical help from them to get the incorrect part back from me as well (I guess he’s still got a unit in the yard with a “hole”, probably the one in the picture above).  I’m glad the dealer stepped up, as they really were good to work with up til now and I had hoped to maintain that feeling.  

So, it looks like things are progressing toward my new T@B soon to be sporting an even newer LP tub, one that fits!  I’ll have to snap a photo and post here of the tubs side-by-side when I get them together.  And, as suggested earlier, it will be a great opportunity to add the expanded metal back to “enclose” the tub and secure its contents more safely.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    It is my experience that the tubs on the T@G, T@B 320 series and T@B 400 series are all exactly the same size.  I traded in my T@G but had modified to the inner steel frame work to hold two smaller propane tanks.  I traded up to a 400 series but told the dealer I wanted to swap the steel inside my old T@G tub with the steel inside the new T@B 400.  He said, "That's fine" and let me do the work.  It wasn't hard - only involved replacing eight rivets.  What was interesting is that the holes of even the rivets matched exactly.  So they are all the same tubs.  It's just that they notch the tubs on the T@B 400's to allow for the spare tire holder.  That stuff is easy to cut.  In fact, I am wondering if nu-camp is having individual dealers do this work because, from the the pictures above - some of them are doing it better than others and that would suggest that it isn't being done at the factory.  That rubber edge should be right up to if not even touching the front of your trailer - regardless of series. So, if your tub isn't up tight - notch it a little more.  However, good time to remember the old saying:  "Measure twice - cut once!"
    nbrandt
    2018 T@B400
    2015 Tundra 2wd, 4.6

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Sounds like this should all work out for you!  Glad the dealer stepped up.  Now, what do you do with that extra tub?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @nbrandt. Good advice. In years and projects past, I’ve measured once, cut once, thrown it away, and started over a few times before (with some choice 4 letter words thrown in after the 2nd step, to be sure). Yes, the interiors of the tubs are probably identical, and if you’re right that the dealers cut them to fit the unit themselves, then possibly it was not clear as to how it should have been cut for a 400 and someone just got whack-happy with the trimming tool. It will be interesting to see what lands on my doorstep.  I agree too that the tub sides should extend back to near the trailer wall diamond plating. That would be ideal.  My 8” gap bugs me more each time I look at it now. 
    @Sharon_is_SAM. The dealer would like the current one back, so, provided he can work out the logistical details with nüCamp’s help, I’ll expect they’ll be sending a courier service of some sort to haul it off for me once it is removed.  

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Well, my biggest T@B “issue” to date has finally been resolved.  The replacement tub for my 400 BDL finally arrived and is now fully installed. It only took about 30 minutes to do the actual replacement, but before installing it I decided to cover the opening in the back with 1/2” “pen enclosure wire”.  It only cost about $12 in parts from Home Depot, so it was a lot less expensive than the stretched metal I had originally wanted to use (and still the preferred material IMHO), but still looks OK and will function just as well. See pics below.

I’m very happy with the new tub, and the fit is so much more satisfying than the original mal-fitting 320 or T@G tub that had been installed by my dealer (read previous posts to follow/recall the story).

Here’s the originally installed incorrect tub with the 8” gap and contour that did not follow the trailer’s, that also sat about 2-3” further forward on the frame,

And this is the new one installed today (only about 1” between rubber and trailer wall all the way down):

And this gives an idea of the backing I installed:

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @ADRawli, glad to hear it all worked out well for you.  The fit of the tub looks great and you did a nice job with the screen in the back of the tub.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Good use of PVC to protect your LPG plumbing!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    ADRawli said:
    Does anyone else who has a T@B 400 Boondock have their diamond plate tub mounted about 4 inches from the trailer’s wall?  The tub has a rubber seal that follows the curve of the wall, but it’s mounted so far from the wall that it serves no purpose.  I don’t know that the tub could have been mounted further back due to the spare tire drop lug, but it seems a bit misplaced, or at least a design opportunity..  Also, the LP tank to regulator hose is pulled so tight I’m worried the edge of the diamond plate might be sawing through it as the trailer jostles.  Anyway, just wondering if my 400 Boondock might be needing some adjustment. 
    Mine is installed the same way.  Take a close look at the notch on the passenger side near the frame.  Your see the end of the hex screw you use to lower and raise the spare tire.  If the tub is butted up right next to the housing that holds that screw, it is installed normally.  Besides, you don’t want the tub to be touching the fiberglass. As you go down the road, the frame flexes a little and the tub will rub it’s way into the fiberglass. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @ADRawli I see rust and oxidation on your propane tank already, do you live in a saltwater environment or is that due to towing in road salt?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @N7SHG_Ham You know, that’s a good question.  No, we don’t live near saltwater nor in a place where road salt is used regularly.  However, we did purchase our trailer in March from a dealer located near New Orleans, probably less than 30 miles from the Gulf.  Might be the reason we have rust on one of the safety chains and a bit you noticed on the LP tank, as well as the oxidation on the valve handle.  But the trailer was built in Aug 2018 so it couldn’t have been in Mississippi for more than 6 months, but I doubt it was on site anywhere near that long. So,  I’m not sure why.  Any advice on how to remove the rust/oxidization?

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @ADRawli that looks minor and tanks are relatively inexpensive to replace, I would be more concerned about underneath the unit. Mine was towed from the factory to the dealer in February when the roads had a salt brine, wished that hadn't happened, but it did. I just bought a a bottle of Salt and Corrosion Terminator by CRC and am going to try that on the front and underside of the unit.
  • Options
    CoolparrotCoolparrot Member Posts: 18
    Quick question on these tubs. I'm looking at replacing my plasyic tub on my 320s with a diamond plate tub off a T@G boondock. Are these tubs the same size and curvature deeming them interchangeable? Any info on this would be very helpful! Thanks! 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The T@G’s tub is not the same size as the T@B’s tub. I do not know the exact difference although the T@G’s tub is smaller. 

If a search for T@G tub doesn’t give you info here, email tech@nucamprv.com and ask him what the difference is. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Quick question on these tubs. I'm looking at replacing my plasyic tub on my 320s with a diamond plate tub off a T@G boondock. Are these tubs the same size and curvature deeming them interchangeable? Any info on this would be very helpful! Thanks! 
    Not sure about the switch that you're making, but when I replaced the plastic tub on my 2013 clamshell with a diamond plate tub from a 2018 320 I had to drill new holes. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    FiddlerJonesFiddlerJones Member Posts: 1
    I have a question about mounting the new metal tub. Do I just drill new holes or make a platform to attach it to?
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @FiddlerJones I recently asked Creed at nuCamp about the new style aluminum tub to replace my plastic version and this is what he wrote about attaching it to the trailer: "The wholes would not line up – you would align the new aluminum tub and use self tapping screws to fasten it to the A-Frame."

He also confirmed the LP gas regulator attached to the trailer would need to be moved to align with the hole in the tub and possibly also the battery shut off switch.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    edited December 2020
    dsfdogs said:
    @FiddlerJones I recently asked Creed at nuCamp about the new style aluminum tub to replace my plastic version and this is what he wrote about attaching it to the trailer: "The wholes would not line up – you would align the new aluminum tub and use self tapping screws to fasten it to the A-Frame."

He also confirmed the LP gas regulator attached to the trailer would need to be moved to align with the hole in the tub and possibly also the battery shut off switch.
    Yes, that was my experience even with the previous version of the metal tub. I through-bolted it to the frame, though. It was pretty easy to move the regulator. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab