How I installed a Lagun table in my 2019 T@B 400

I really missed my Lagun table from my T@B S Max and the versitility it gave me. Here’s how I installed the Lagun table in my new T@B 400. 

Because I needed 18” from the wall so the table would move completely around, I needed to build a 6 1/2” extension onto the factory’s front inside wooden box that houses the electrical wiring, hose for an air conditioning duct just inside the door, and the Alde heating components for the frontheating ducts. 

Since I’m not anywhere near home and my workshop, I chose to use a premade butcher block type tool storage wooden top (approximately 18”x26”) from Home Depot. I purchased two of the tops, one for the actual Lagun tabletop and one for the wooden extension. The light color looks good with my light colored inside walls.

I cut the sides to fit the slanted floor, made it 6 1/2” deep, approximately 14” tall at its tallest point and approximately 6 1/4” wide. This allowed enough room to be able to secure the rear piece to the factory’s wooden box. (If you attempt this, please check the factory’s plywood box for the placement of everything inside the box so you do not screw into the electrical wiring or any components inside the factory’s box.)

The Lagun table in place. 

The side of the underside of the tabletop. 

The table top can be moved any number of ways sideways or forwards or backwards. 

The tabletop positioned longways from the front wall. 

When I get home, I will be making bed slats and runners so the front dinette/sofa/bed area can still be used as a sofa or bed. 

I do love this table. I spend a lot of time at the table when I’m inside. There’s plenty of room for the iPad or laptop, lots of room for a meal, and lots of room for an atlas to figure out tomorrow’s route.  I love that I can push the tabletop out of my way to get up or to allow someone to sit across the table from me. I can loosen the connectors and remove the table for travel, or for bed or sofa use when I finish the bed slats. It’s light enough to easily move wherever I want. 
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,490
    @Verna very nice work...even if you didn't have your shop tools!  ;) You're just plain talented! I love my lagun table and that was one thing I didn't like in the 400 I looked at. Versatility in small spaces is always a good thing! Thanks for sharing!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,448
    That looks smart @Verna!  I think better than the original.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Maybe a new option for the 400?
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I like that a lot better than the factory table.    I really like that lagun table
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I love this!  I saw my first T@B 400 in  person this week and hated the table immediately.  The Lagun is quite the improvement.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    How did you cut the second board for the base? Ifs a very neat job!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @Photomom. I have a 20V circular saw (no electricity here in this dispersed camping campground), and I made measurements, many of them. Measure 2 or 3 times and cut once. 

I screwed the back of my box  to the factory plywood box. Then I screwed my already assembled box to the sides of my box’s back piece. It’s sturdy, and I’vd been using it for about 4 weeks. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    Gorgeous Verna!
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Verna, I appreciated your detailed info about your Lagun table install, which inspired me to look for an alternative source for the table 'kit'. (I like your butcher block tabletop!)

The Lagun USA site has the kit and installation parts... Did you try them for your 'non standard part'?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited October 2019
    @ChanW, you’re very welcome. No, I didn’t contact Lagun USA. nüCamp’s price was acceptable to me. 

I really like the Home Depot workbench top. It has laquer on it and it should last a couple of years, if not more.  I just can’t believe how much the Lagun Table opens up the space. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    edited February 2019
    @verna that's very nice.  I am thinking about that for our 400 but maybe with a slightly smaller oval table.  Trying to find out all available shapes and sizes.  Might just do one out of 3/4" ply
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Nice to see I'm not the only one that disliked that white table! Beautiful Verna! 
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2019
    @Verna posts in February,  I finally read it in July.  Mom always tried to instill in me the idea of getting to a place 15 minutes early.  Oh well..  This looks really good young lady.  That was something I wasn’t enthused about with the 400. Good fix.  Sometimes easy ideas just don’t spring to mind.  You have to see them here and say, oh right.....  
     We love our Lagun table (after purchase add on..  in fact I think half of our camper has been modded from ideas from here).  Jody calls it the devil table though, because she hates the adjustment knobs.  Some areas of the table probably need that “special” knob, but I’m mulling the idea of a star knob for some...

Lastly Verna, you mentioned your home workshop.  Where would that be, if your house is gone?  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Just a bump, so can now be at 977 in my comments... Closing on a 1000...  Someday I’ll have 5127....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• SWickershamSWickersham Member Posts: 13
    Oh WOW! That desk is beautiful!! The stool is its own kind of BEAUTIFUL!
    Very nice Verna.  Its one thing to own the tools, its another to make magic with them.  Me, I'm more of a butt joint and 2 coats of varnish man....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited July 2019
    Wow that is incredible!!!! 
  • k4mank4man Member Posts: 14
    Nice job. I'm thinking about installing a Lagun. I'm wondering however, if you can still use the table to make up the bed with the Lagun system, i.e. does all the underside hardware get in the way of making it into a bed where that ledge is underneath? Am I correct in thinking that you need to basically pull most of the hardware off in order to make up the bed?  Thanks.
    2020 T@b 400 Boondock
    TV: 2013 Lexus GX 460
    I made 1x3 oaken bed slats that are stored under the driver’s side cushions during the day. There are two layers of slats, one sliding onto a cleat attached just under the lip of the plywood seat base, and the other layers fits on top of the the lower level of slats. My sister slept well on the bed for a month while we traveled through Canada and the PNW. 

The upper layer is cut to follow the contour of the plywood cabinetry under the cushions. 

The slats are held together with a nylon strap that is screwed to the slats

Here you can see the two layers of slats. I actually leave these slats in place, using it for a place to
    put a dog bed for Sunny Day. 

All of the slats lays in place

The slats are 26” from the front wall

These slats stay in place all the time

The slats that are stored under the cushion are approximately 10 3/4” in width. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna, cool desk! Is that your work, or the example they want you to go by? Beautiful.

Thanks again for pointing out that Home Despot cabinet top for your table. So has your (surprisingly inexpensive) tabletop kept its shape through the months and miles? It being only ¾", I've wondered about potential warping, but you've been kind enough to trial it for me! =) 

Are you still happy with it?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited August 2019
    @ChanW, the table top is still working just fine. The lacquer finish is great to clean, and I’ve seen no reason to change the top yet. No warping at all. 

The photo is from the internet and that is what I am using to make the desk from. I’ve had a slight setback of a broken finger, but with a splint I’ve been able to start planing and jointing the cherry lumber. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @k4man, I actually do not use the table top for the bed/sofa configuration. I put the tabletop at the head of my bed (like a wooden headboard) and it was not in my way while sleeping. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Planing and jointing with a broken finger? Ouch! Take care!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Yup, @ChanW. The flexible stretchy bandage gives me a bit of grip. My brother will be there to keep me out of trouble. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • SWickershamSWickersham Member Posts: 13
    Verna would it be possible for you to post a picture of the cleat that you rest the slats on when in bed position? Much appreciated.
    @SWickersham, sorry I forgot these two photos. The cleat is a 1”x2” red oak (with some simple shellac on it) screwed under the top piece of plywood of the cabinet. I made sure the distance from the underside of the plywood top equaled the thickness of my slats). I think I used 1 1/2” exterior deck screws (they hold very well and I had them on hand). 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • HAWAIIANTABHAWAIIANTAB Member Posts: 18
    Yeah, I don't know why they don't come standard with the lagun system, as the stock box spring system is so heavy/bulky and clumsy as well as expensive to build. That's going to be my next major mod, when I have the time.  
    Thanks for the pics and tips.............