Options

See what's coming in the new 2021 T@B 320!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    One thing I noticed that therenis more wood in the 2021, including this around the doot.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Many toilet cassettes have wheels, like a trolly, on them to make it easier to move them about when full.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    jkjenn said:
    One thing I noticed that therenis more wood in the 2021, including this around the doot.

That is actually in the 2020s too. Its to accommodate the new door, with a place to mount the screen. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    Here are the steps with a cassette in a FHU campsite on a daily basis, because with two people overnight needs only that thing will be full. (Two - Three uses per person each night)
    <cut>

The steps for an 8 gallon blackwater tank on a daily basis with hoses already connected
    <cut>
    First, I think that you’re overestimating how frequently the cassette will need to be dumped.
    Second, I think that you should recognize that most T@Bbers aren’t camping at full hookup sites. Only 4 of the 42 people who responded to my survey are camping mostly at FHU sites. It’s great that you enjoy your trailer this way but it’s not really how most people use their T@Bs. 

For those who camp at places where there’s no sewer hookup or maybe even no dump station (most T@Bbers), the cassette will provide more options for getting rid of black waste. For an extended stay (4+ days), currently the only options are to drag around a blue boy or break camp and go to a dump station. Neither option is particularly appealing. 

So although this change might not suit some people, I would hope that people could understand the reasoning behind it. 
    When hubby and I are camping together, we DO have to empty the portable toilet every morning. The portable toilet has a 5 gallon capacity. Age and medical conditions create a lot of overnight liquid for us. So, I believe that we would have to empty a cassette or dump an 8 gallon tank with the same frequency. (As a matter of fact, with a regular holding tank, I think we might actually use the toilet more during the day instead of walking down to the comfort station.)

True, I guess I am in the minority, I like my  full hookup. I like camping resorts. Even though the FHU campers are in the minority, it feels like we are being shut out. They've dropped customization, and they dropped the non bath models.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    In general the revisions to the Kitchen are good. Positive latching hardware is a great change! The new front door is wonderful. A larger bath room is welcome, but the capacity of the cassette waste tank might be a problem - there wasn't a very large tank before. The deeper cabinets at the rear above the bed reduce what was already a cramp space. The thinner exterior trim looks great. In the real world of water hoses and adapters, the new water cabinet would make those connections a little more difficult. Hoses coming out will conflict with the flap door. I'd gladly change that for the old exterior access to storage which made access to wheel chucks etc.. a breeze. The new spare tire location below the trailer frame I saw in another video by Princes Craft is a disaster for ground clearance. As someone that takes his modified 2019 320 Boondock on dirt trails, I wouldn't recommend this one.
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    Cherokee said:
    The new spare tire location below the trailer frame I saw in another video by Princes Craft is a disaster for ground clearance. As someone that takes his modified 2019 320 Boondock on dirt trails, I wouldn't recommend this one.
    I think you can get a spare tire mounting bracket for the small platform in front of the tub.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Cherokee, the difference between the original black tank and cassette is only 2 gallons.  You can fill the cassette up to max capacity, doubt I would do that to a small black tank mounted directly under the toilet.

Also did ye not see the photo on pg 2 of this post?    Cheers

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Denny16 said:
    Cherokee, the difference between the original black tank and cassette is only 2 gallons.  You can fill the cassette up to max capacity, doubt I would do that to a small black tank mounted directly under the toilet.

I’m pretty sure that I read somewhere that the cassette uses less water per flush. If that’s true there might not be much of a capacity difference. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    That is my take on this — much to do about nothing, the capacities are going to be very close.
    cheers
  • Options
    edited March 2020

jkjenn said:
    Cherokee said:
    The new spare tire location below the trailer frame I saw in another video by Princes Craft is a disaster for ground clearance. As someone that takes his modified 2019 320 Boondock on dirt trails, I wouldn't recommend this one.
    I think you can get a spare tire mounting bracket for the small platform in front of the tub.

I hope so, but it would be an extra cost that you didn't pay for in 2019
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Denny16 said:

Coming up from the bottom would solve the door problem. But that would take a lot more effort then it takes now with the connections on the side of the trailer. I don't know about you, but I'm often tired by the time we stop and the additional effort to connect is not something I'd be happy to do. And opening a valve is MUCH easier then carrying the waste, but perhaps owning one of the older one's has made me lazy. Still, I'd gladly change this option for the old exterior access to storage which made access to wheel chucks etc... a breeze.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Denny16 said:

Water weights 8.34#/gal; waste water/sludge may weigh a little less, but a cassette is NOT light when full. On a cold day, reaching under the trailer, feeding the hose up then bending that stiff hose 90 degrees will not be welcome task either. It rains in my world.  
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2020
    Well, this cassette discussion has been enlightening, and convincing (in both directions!)

If we're camping at a campground with pit toilets, or otherwise, I think I'd prefer lugging myself to the toilet to 'dump', rather than a 5-6 gallon cassette to the pit or dump station. Our experience with our Tab so far has been limited to shorter stays, so no potential overflow situations have arisen, where we need to empty our black tank before departure. For us, a blue-boy would probably suffice in the unusual extended stay, but I can't say we've needed it or tried it yet.

Too, I hate to think what might happen to rest-area toilet facilities if this cassette dumping need takes hold in the US... Those toilets are bad enough already! It could eventually evolve into a cassette-friendly dump station provided in rest-areas, but that evolution always seems to take hold slowly.

It seems to me that this conversation should be archived for all potential purchasers. And a true option, of either a cassette or a black tank offered by NuCamp, seems to be in order. The arguments for each way are completely valid.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    lino said:
    Unfortunately this means the end for me for Nucamp
     At least until I am ready for a camper with no bathroom 
    If you already own a T@B then how does this affect you? 
    If the T@B you have gets totaled or stolen, then few options to get a replacement that you love.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    A couple of other small things I noticed on the new T@b.

The first I thought about after I got home. I went to PJ's video and looked at the cani ets. Look how little space the plumbing under the sink takes up. It appears they may have used the HEPVO valve. This is not something you would due to cut corners and cost.

The second thing is the high quality latches in the rear overhead cabi ets. They are really robust.

• Options
    Cherokee said:
    On a cold day, reaching under the trailer, feeding the hose up then bending that stiff hose 90 degrees will not be welcome task either. It rains in my world.   
    Put a right angle adapter + quick connect on the water port. Easy peasy. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    A couple of other small things I noticed on the new T@b.

The first I thought about after I got home. I went to PJ's video and looked at the cani ets. Look how little space the plumbing under the sink takes up. It appears they may have used the HEPVO valve. This is not something you would due to cut corners and cost.

The second thing is the high quality latches in the rear overhead cabi ets. They are really robust.

Yes! the plumbing is clean and the new hardware is great!
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    Cherokee said:
    On a cold day, reaching under the trailer, feeding the hose up then bending that stiff hose 90 degrees will not be welcome task either. It rains in my world.   
    Put a right angle adapter + quick connect on the water port. Easy peasy. 

Good suggestion - but shouldn't Nu-Camp  have worked this out better from the beginning? They sell these to people who are not as mechanically inclined and slight built people like my 115# couldn't lift a full waste cassette. 
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Cherokee ...I think nuCamp does a pretty good job of figuring a lot of things out...and they do listen to their customers (us)...but there is not "one size fits all" when it comes to how we all use our trailers...Marceline's poll proved that...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    That was my thought also, or a short (strain relief hose which are about 18-i24 inches long) with the quick disconnection the hose end, insert it from the top side of the connection box, then reach down and connect the feed hose into the quick disconnect fitting.

You can get Garden hose pipe quick disconnects from most home improvement stores, they are made of brass, and very durable.  I have been using them in my garden area watering system for years, no leaks and they work nicely.  I am adding one to my TaB400 setup, with a 45-degree angle fitting.  These are quick and easy to use, and gen in cold weather.

While most of these new changes will not impact current TaB owners (unless you plan to upgrade to a newer model), and if you try, you can find solutions to most of these issues.
    cheers
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    ontheroad said:
    @Cherokee ...I think nuCamp does a pretty good job of figuring a lot of things out...and they do listen to their customers (us)...but there is not "one size fits all" when it comes to how we all use our trailers...Marceline's poll proved that...
    I think part of what nuCamp is up against is that when it comes to spending large chunks of cash, customers want options. Meanwhile, companies want to streamline production, and the easiest way to do that is to limit the customer’s choices. Too many options will slow down production, and affect their bottom line. (I rail against Apple on this all the time, I promise I’m not just picking on tiny nuCamp!)

Personally, since the Barefoot will almost certainly have a cassette (it does in the UK, I believe), I would have left the tanks on the Tab as the easiest way to offer both options.

I’m extremely glad to see the light wood back—nuCamp does listen and tries to offer options when feasible. But trying to design a tiny camper such that they can build either a cassette or a black tank into each rig on the line could be tricky, and they obviously feel that the cassette won’t be enough of a dealbreaker to cut into their sales significantly. It will be extremely interesting to see what changes occur in the 2022 model, whether they stick with this or end up backtracking.

Regarding changes that aren’t bathroom related: The more I think about it, I actually like the new two way marine fridge over the three way, assuming the consistency of temperature is any better and it’s as efficient as they say. The current fridge wavers horribly up and down the temp scale while on propane and has no temp controls unless plugged in on AC power. I wonder too if leveling becomes less critical with the two way?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I have the marine AC/DC refrig in my TaB400, works great, I would never have another propane refrig again, they are a pain.  Yes leveling is not as critical, but you need to be close for the Alde to work optimally.  The refrig will work going down the highway, if you want.  Battery drain is not that much (unlike the older ways) and if you keep the door closed, it does not cycle that much.  
    Cheers
  • Options
    I already use a right angle adapter and with the hatch I will be able to leave it connected and use the quick connects. One more thing that will make set up easier.

• Options
    ontheroad said:
    @Marceline , when Frank and I saw the prototype of the CS-S while we were visiting nuCamp that was the first thing I mentioned to Scott...you need to keep the split cushions for those solo traveller...he and Rapheal had never thought how you solo travellers use it.. it raised an issue that they had never thought about...
    I've been looking at the photo of the CS interior and I think there's an easy change to make it work for the popular full-time twin bed setup. 

1. Assuming that the benches are the same length as the current CS (58"). Split the back cushions (no need to split the bench seats) into 30" and 28" lengths. 
    2. Have a board that slides from the top of the AC unit area onto cleats on the front faces of the benches.  The combined depth of the board + top of AC unit should be about 30" (to make a slightly narrow 30" wide twin bed). That leaves a 28" wide seat. 
    3. Move the Lagun table mount towards the front of the passenger side bench.

@nuCamp
    @Verna

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    @Marceline...it was the back cushions I suggested that they split...not the seat...you could still do your bed at the back and have a dinette...would be great for us couples too...roll back the topper ( if using) ....great minds think alike..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    That would work @Marceline.  It would be nice if they could split the pull out rails, so only a portion met in the middle allowing a solo CSS owner to have the single bed set up and sleep wheel to wheel.  No extra board needed.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    That would work @MarcelineIt would be nice if they could split the pull out rails, so only a portion met in the middle allowing a solo CSS owner to have the single bed set up and sleep wheel to wheel.  No extra board needed.
    Yes, I thought about it, but I think that AC unit is fairly deep - maybe 18" or so. So you might need only another 12" to get to twin bed width. I'm pretty sure the pullout rails have supports, so I'm not sure that splitting them and adding an extra set of supports would be worth it for the company. I think that a board is a cheaper and easier solution for the twin setup. But I could be wrong. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Yeah, The pull out rails have legs - it would require 2 more sets of legs.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I believe the T@b casette toilet is connected to plumbing so you dont ha e to add water in the end. 

I just dont see this process much more different than what I do, today.

https://youtu.be/YMEP7B3VX00

• Options
    @Marceline...Scott and I talked about a separate pullout section for the solo traveller..I'm with you a separate board added would be the easiest...I think that it may be an owner mod, because the lagune table mount would also have to be relocated ..but it would be lovely if they provided the split cushions to make it easier for different setups..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada