Mods/Upgrades while waiting out social distancing . Please share yours.

Comments

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    DenisP- thanks. Should have been more specific, first trip of 2020. Our original reservation at a county park was cancelled in April. Fortunately NYS opened the state parks on the 1st so our reservation in Montauk wasn’t cancelled!
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    @rcuomo Good luck on your first of the season. After receiving my second cancellation yesterday from Mass DOR, it looks like state camping in Massachusetts is unlikely as they restructure for Covid 19 precautions. Maine is still under 14 day quarantine for “outastaters”, NH is for instate residents only.... We cancelled our epic trip for the early fall which we would have visited the last 12 states of the lower 48 in our 400. Just have to wait and see if any thing opens up within our comfort range in the new normal.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2020
    I didn't go crazy with mine, just a few simple things that will help our lives...

Trash can near the kitchen will be more practical than besides the toilet.

Camp chairs hold in place while travelling.

Maxxair cover for rainy days, spare tire cover to protect from sun damages and poop tube carrier to keep the storage bay clean and smelling good!

• rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    We discovered the hard way that Pahaque visors are incompatible with rain or wind.  In the rain, they absorb enough water to get heavy and collapse under their own weight; in the wind they flop around and break their fiberglass poles.  Do not expect any sympathy from the Teardrop Shop or Pahaque - they are not interested.
    We modified the support system by adding 2 half-inch grommets in the tie-down loop, and using a pair of tarp support telescoping poles to make the edge of the visor stable in both wind and rain.  (We normally stake the guy lines down, but that was a little difficult on my concrete driveway)!
    If you're looking for replacement poles, these folks have a superior product and sell replacement ferrules that fit the existing poles better (less sloppy) than the original equipment.

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    @rh5555 I love your grommet solution. 
    I had watched a YouTube with a Pahaque visor/awning for an RPod which had support poles which attached at the outer edge and terminated on the lower keder rail.  Since watching the youtube it has been on my future to do list.  Thanks for the mod.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    This isn't a full blown 'mod', but thought this might be a good place to share the particulars. 
    Added a 2" latex topper to my new T@B 400 in preparation for our first outing to the mountains of NC next week.
    Already have one of these on a bed in our house and know how comfortable it is. I ordered the Queen size and cut the width down by 3". The length is standard Queen and fits perfectly. Really like the one piece surface it provides, as well as the additional support and comfort. Latex is a great sleeping surface and this topper pairs very well with the factory cushions and froli system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYG9WBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • dutsmillerdutsmiller Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2020
    Added switches for the TV and Radio.  I'd bought the materials prior to taking exact electrical measurements and wanted to share some interesting information that may have caused me to skip half the project had I taken them before purchasing.

The TV seems very frugal when in standby.  When you first plug it in, there is a 0.15-0.20amp draw but after 5-10 seconds, it settles down to 0.01amp.  I questioned whether or not to put a switch on it but since I had everything there, i just went ahead with it.

The Radio was more interesting.  When you first plug it in (or switch the battery disconnect), the power drain settles down to a 0.2-0.25 amp draw.  When you turn it on it spikes up to varying levels depending on use of DVD, speakers, etc. which is expected.  However, what I didn't expect, was that when I turned the power off, it settled down to a 0.08amp draw. (1/3 of what it used when it was initially powered).  I repeated this test several times with the same results.  It could be that had I never powered the unit on/off, it would have eventually reached the lower power state, admittedly I never waited very long to find out.  I'd be curios for someone else to test to see if they get similar results.  Maybe for those who rarely use the radio, they could save 0.15amps just by powering it on/off after the throwing the battery disconnect switch.

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Makes no sense that the clamshell fridge has a black front, so I covered it in Reflectix. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    @dutsmiller - interesting observation about the radio power.  I, too, installed a switch for the radio based on the observed 0.22A current draw.  I didn't try turning the radio on and off again.  When I do that, the current drops to 0.09A - similar to your observation.  You've hit on something quite important.  Users should cycle the power on their radios after (re)connecting the batteries to save a considerable drain.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411

My brother built us these awesome  custom boxes for the front but he didn’t drill any holes and he didn’t give me anyway to attach it. Can anyone give me advice on the best way to do this? We aren’t handy but I can go to a store. I was initially thinking of 2 or 4 u-bolts per box from the inside and the stick out parts would be on the outside/underside and maybe rubber washers to keep water from coming in. I really have no idea so any help would be appreciated.  Our first trip is planned for the week after Fourth of July but we are dewinterizing and doing maintenance this weekend. Thanks!

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

@ColleenD2 very cool boxes indeed. I am sure others will weight in as there are more than one way to attach them. I would drill holes and attach with stainless steel bolts, washers and elastic stop nuts or lock washers and regular nuts. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited June 2020
    @DenisP @ColleenD2, I have roughly the same boxes.  They were attached exactly how DenisP described.  Just measure out the position of the screws before you drill, so you don't wind up putting a hole in the box directly above a hole in the platform. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @ColleenD2 ...hubby and I can't commit to drilling thru our plano boxes so we're still strapping them with some strapping..someday we'll bolt them..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    Is there a way to avoid drilling into the T@B platform? That makes me nervous.

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    ColleenD2 said:
    Colleen, I bolted my ActionPackers to the platform through the existing platform holes using two bolts per bin with oversized rubber and metal fender washers both inside the bin and beneath the platform. I drilled only the bins, not the platform.

As my bins are likely lighter than yours and are very lightly filled, I’d suggest you use at least four bolts per bin and locking nuts, plus following any others recs provided by people here. (Because I’m definitely not an engineer!)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    ColleenD2 said:
    Aren't there already holes in the platform?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    yes, there are holes, big holes. Lol. So I took Victoria’s advice and got some Fender Washers. Hopefully that will do that trick. 

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Fender washers will work nicely.  Most of the pressure will be lateral, so go with 3/8ths bolts to better take any shear force from a fast 🛑 stop.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    A nice job, it came out grand looking and better functionality.
    cheers
    @DougH Looks terrific! Perhaps drop a line to nuCamp to find out what they used to finish the original cabinetry? The color stayed fairly consistent through 2019, so I’d imagine whatever product they used is still on the market. I’d be interested to know myself.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Denny16 @VictoriaP Thanks, I was following in someone else's footsteps:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6556/replaced-norcold-3-way-with-efficient-ac-dc-electric-fridge/p1

It sure is nice though to have weeks to gradually do projects, what with campgrounds only just now starting to open back up.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Looks great, Doug!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited June 2020
    As @VictoriaP suggested, I sent a request to tech @ nüCamp to get the shellac / stain color, or make sure I can order a small can from my dealer. What I used was a little light / little too yellow.  Easy enough to re-sand fronts and apply what they send me.  Or just wait until the right side gets dirty or ages so it matches better...

I'll share whatever they tell me.

DougH said:
    As @VictoriaP suggested, I sent a request to tech @ nüCamp to get the shellac / stain color, or make sure I can order a small can from my dealer. What I used was a little light / little too yellow.  Easy enough to re-sand fronts and apply what they send me.  Or just wait until the right side gets dirty so it matches better...

I'll share whatever they tell me.

Even with the slight mismatch, it looks GOOD. Can’t express how insanely jealous I am, this is just too far beyond my DIY skills to contemplate.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    edited June 2020
    VictoriaP said:
    Can’t express how insanely jealous I am, this is just too far beyond my DIY skills to contemplate.
    In my case there's no DIY skills; just a few hand tools (sadly no table saw or any of those neat jigs to make life simple). But we can all try and copy what we see real craftspersons do on YouTube. I had to watch a dozen vids (some more than once) on installing the weird Blum undermount drawer slides, before trying it. I have no idea how anybody ever did anything before YT came along.

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    @DougH
    " I have no idea how anybody ever did anything before YT came along."
    Isn't that the truth!!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    Very nicely done.
    cheers
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Nice work Scott!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
This discussion has been closed.