Towing with water

rmcarthurrmcarthur Member Posts: 51
We are finding that many of our stops across the country do not have potable water. Do you travel with water in your T@B 320 (11 gallons) fresh water tank and, if so how much? Thanks!

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Either travel with it empty or completely full to eliminate tank surge while towing. It is only eleven gallons, but that is still 92 pounds, if 1/2 full that is 46 pounds surging as your turn, stop and accelerate (much subdued surge when tank is completely full). I have a 400 and travel with a full tank which on the 400 is 250 pounds, as long as you DO NOT exceed weights anywhere (trailer tires, frame, axle and GVWR and same for tow vehicle with addition of total CGVW rating), I feel that extra weight really stabilizes the trailer.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Surprised no potable water.  Where are you stopping?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    edited June 2020
     Consider using bottled water or filling a large container you know has been well sanitized. Would not trust the fresh water tank for drinking water.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Yep, I always head out with a full tank--and a primed pump. One less thing to do when I arrive and I know I have at least one tank of good water!
    2015 T@B S
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We only boondock, so always leave with full tank, lines filled and primed.  We're on a well, so I add a little chlorine to keep the lines and tank clean.  We only use for showers and flushing, carry separate drinking water.  And beer.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    There are many places in the west where the campgrounds do not provide potable water. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    How exactly do you prime a pump with a full tank on the Tab 400? Does that just mean turning on a faucet? 
    mae 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, turn on the 12VDC system, disconnect from city water hookup and turn on the sink faucet, pump will come on, and should prime and water come out.  Then you are all set to go.  

Since the water tank is over the axle, a full tank is better than a partial, as the water in a partial tank will slosh back and forth.  A full tank is better in the road, little to no water movement in the tank.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    "carry separate drinking water.  And beer."  that's my thinking also .. :) 
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    Do most people NOT drink the water from the tank? Why? 
    It’s OK, if you clean the tank with bleach solution and then flush it out, each time before going on a trip.  Most don’t bother and just use bottled water for drinking, a lot of urban dwellers do not drink their tap water either.  We run our own local water company which is treated and filtered well water, so we drink it, better than bottled water.
    cheers

You could also filter the TaB tank water wit a Berkey water filter system.
    cheers
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Denny16 we do exactly that.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We usually bring a big jug of water filled from our home tap, and use it mostly for making coffee, but also for cooking & drinking.  We typically camp with hookups using city water & only sanitize/flush the fresh water tank once a year after de-winterizing.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    We only carry water in tanks when heading “way out there”.  With our Berkey filter we have potable virtually anywhere there’s water. But, As far as filling be open.  We’ve filled at city day park faucets, rest area faucets even malls have faucets on the outside wall.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
    @GatorEgg How do you like your Berkey.  Have been thinking about it.  Currently I used bottled water for drinking, coffee, etc. 
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
    We did stay at a BLM outside Moab that did not have water.  There was a gas station in town that had a spigot - free with a fuel fill up!
  • MischiefBrewingMischiefBrewing Member Posts: 26
    Only have 2 boondocking trips under my belt in the new 2020 TAB400 but have realized that we're water hogs (what can I say, we enjoy our post-hike showers).  Currently developing a solution to refill while in the backwoods. 

I have a 150-quart Igloo Marine cooler that I used for mashing grain during my old brewing days so it has a ball valve and quick disconnect on the drain spot.  Will seal the lid as best I can and fill all 37 gallons of it with potable water in the bed of the truck.  Have a brewing pump that I can run with the 110-volt outlet in the bed of the truck that also has quick disconnects on it and can accommodate the drinking water hose I store in the trailer on the outlet side. The truck only needs to be within 25 feet of the trailer and I can refill in less than 3 minutes.  Only issue is gray water and since we use all biodegradable camp soaps, draining that into the trees isn't a major issue.

Plan to test in a week and a half.
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but a related question.

Been looking for a schmatic of the water system layout for the 2020 T@B 400 with rear mounted AGM batteries, Alde and Air8 under the bunk. Like to know where the tanks are located. Understand the H2O is over the axle? Are the grey and black located on one side or the other? Centerline? I have a fair amount of gear in aft storage compartment on passenger side and want to ensure my load is balanced.

Didn't see a thread on it here, nor detailed in the "UnOfficial T@B 400 Manual." 

Thanks much!
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

The water tank is centered over the axle, the gray tank is forward of that.  The black tank is under the toilet and along the drivers side of the head in the raised bit under the fold out sink.  See the AirForce guy factory walk the video, it shows the black tank setup in the head from a left side exterior shot before the sides were attached.
    cheers
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I fill our 2020 400 BDL to the rim before leaving, only because we regularly boondock (After all that's why we have a BDL). Plus my wife takes a longgggggg shower. Not wanting to start any battles, but if you are worried about the "slosh of water in a tank that is not fully filled" you may wish to rethink what you are towing with. In the last 15 plus years I have had 4 different campers and never worried about water slosh from a partially filled tank be it fresh water, grey water, or black water. But then again, I have always had "more than enough tow vehicle" in front of whatever I was towing so that I didn't have to worry about tongue weight, GVW, GCVW or otherwise.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    NoVaGuy said:
    @GatorEgg How do you like your Berkey.  Have been thinking about it.  Currently I used bottled water for drinking, coffee, etc. 

Love the Berkey.  Bought it years ago to filter the "flouride" out of our city water.  Hauled it around the Caribbean and Central America on our sailboat for years.  Now goes everywhere our trailer goes.  When not traveling it sits on our kitchen counter doing its thing.  We've got an extra set of filters for when the "big one" or hurricanes hit us.  My kids also bought one when they had their first child so they could provide good water for them.
    Plastic bottle water..... bad.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Sloshing water in a half full fresh water tank in a TAB won't affect the tongue weight, GVW, or GCVW.  It will affect the side-to-side stability to some extent.  Whether it will effect it enough to cause control issues is a different point.  Probably not on a TAB but it might and on a larger trailer it surely will.  Towing with a minimally capable tow vehicle will just add to the excitement.
    Good point.  I towed my TaB 400 with a 1/2 tank of water, no issue, but was thinking from a “perfect world” perspective, of what would be optimal towing situation.  I may have been overthinking this one, since the tank is over the axle.
    As for effecting tongue weight, not an issue, only the gray and black (not so much as it is small)  tanks will add some to the tongue weight.
    cheers
  • rmcarthurrmcarthur Member Posts: 51
    Thanks everyone! Sharon_is_SAM we are not 100% sure about the lack of potable water. We just need to ensure we can accomodate for such a situation. 
    @rmcarthur - yes, if you are planning on BLMs and more remote sites (as well as Walmart’s and Harvest Host type stops) water can be an issue.