Options

Fantastic Fan Upgrade to 7350 - dramatic improvement in efficiency

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    edited August 2019
    I guess that makes sense. It would never get wet. The fact the little blue light on the remote doesn’t turn on for the sensor or for auto concerns me.Looks like I may just call Dometic. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Missstsomewhere, try removing the batteries for about a minute in the remote. I had to do that on my Fantastic fan to get the rain sensor to turn off. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had the dealer do the FF 7350 upgrade. The rain sensor doesn’t work nor does the auto setting. He put ona Maxx fan cover now I’m wondering if he shouldn’t have put the Maxx fan cover over it. That actually seems to impede air flow. Maybe it affects the rain sensor. Just don’t know. 
    I would be questioning whether the dealer did the work, correctly. There should be some type of warranty on the dealer's work. I would take 8t back to them.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Dealer is 5 hours away 😣
  • Options
    peterac50peterac50 Member Posts: 67
    First off, I want to thank all the people who posted here. Without their reflections, I am not sure I could have completed  the upgrade on my own. It took me awhile. The directions sent with the upgrade are thorough but difficult to follow. The electrical connections are self evident but the connectors they sent were difficult to use so I bought different fittings that plug together - easier to install. Also they sent a new lifter, but the wheel was on the wrong side of the lifter rod so it would not fit properly. So I just re-greased the old one and that worked fine. The final issue was the rain sensor that would not fit where it was supposed to go so I attached it with an additional screw. In the end it works perfectly. So quiet and the lower speeds really do draw fewer amps. I also like the automatic temperature control - adjusts the speed to temp and shuts off when that temp is reached. So all in all, a satisfying project with an excellent t outcome. 
    Peter and Nicki; Quechee, Vt
    States Visited Map
    2019 Tab 400; 2019 TV Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    @jkjenn,
    did you ever get your fan to reverse directions?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Yes! It works great. Dumbest issue of all. Batteries in remote needed to be replaced. It was playing havoc with the settings. The Auto didn’t work, the outtake didn’t work. New batteries and everything worked. Seems odd but it’s fixed. 
  • Options
    TerryV6 said:
    @jkjenn,
    did you ever get your fan to reverse directions?
    Nope!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    But, has this happened to anyone else?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    rioosoriooso Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2019
    DenisP said:
    @Awca12a  Here is a link to the kit which fits my 2018 400: https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Fantastic-Vent/FV807357.html

I have a 2016 manual model 1250 and when I went to this site they indicated that I had to buy a new cover, and and motor for making the lid motorized. When I called they indicated the same thing but really, I don't know if she was really knowledgeable about the product.  Looks like this is a direct replacement with the motorized actuator included.... Was everything that you needed in this "kit"? Thanks in advance!

• Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Has anyone replaced the original Northern Breeze fan in the T@da with one of these?
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
    So after reading this discussion, it sounds like after doing the upgrade the fan will come on whenever the power is disconnected then reconnected (such as by using the battery disconnect switch).  Is that correct?  Seems like a major problem to me...
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I believe the fan will come on when turning on the battery switch IF the cover is not in the fully closed position. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
    The 2018 tab 400 cannot make use of the switch that shuts t power off when the cover is down. So I don't think that will stop the fan from running if I do this retrofit. At least that's what it sounds like from a couple of the posts in this discussion.
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @SeaLaVie I started the post after doing the upgrade on my 2018 Tab 400 and the switch works when the cover is down on my Tab. I have a Aeroflo cover and did not use the rain sensor as it is not needed with the cover. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    FYI in a previous Fan-tastic Fan with rain sensor there was a particular key combination on the remote that can activate or deactivate the rain sensor. Heck if I know what it is but I was really stumped when the rain sensor off light was illuminated. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    I just wanted to thank everybody for sharing their experiences.  Today I successfully installed the upgrade kit to my 320s BDL.  I push paper for a living and am the least handy person I know, but after reading through this and a related thread I thought I would give it a go.  Lo and behold, it all works.  The fan runs in both directions on all speeds, the water sensor functions and the dome motor raises and lowers the lid.  My T@B does have the plunger switch, so the power to the fan motor does cut out when the dome is closed.  Still, I wired in a rotary on-off switch so I could cut power to unit apart from pulling the fuse.  Belt and suspenders I guess.  So, driveway tests all passed.  Now I just need to find a few days off and try it in the field.

Thank you again everyone for sharing.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Anyone who did this upgrade on a tab 400 with solar? Looking at the cover dimensions, it seems it will cover part of the solar panel and may cast a shadow on it.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I upgraded my 2018 Tab 400 with factory solar and I also have an AeroFlo cover.  Depending on the angle of the sun the cover can cast a shadow.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    My 2019 Tab400 came with a Dometic 1450 fan (which is a Fantastic Fan 3 speed with manual dome cover) in the kitchen area. I bought the Fantastic 7350 upgrade to get the variable speed and automatic dome and it found it is not compatible with the factory fan. The new 7350 has a white wire to be attached to the existing "dome switch" which is the switch that tells the dome open/close motor when the dome is closed. My factory fan doesn't have a dome switch since the lid is a manual open/close. I called Dometic/Fantastic and they said there is no upgrade for the model 1450, I have to replace the complete fan. Are there any TAB 400 owners on the forum able to upgrade you manual fan to automatic?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @DenisP I did that mod to my tab400. Have so far noticed no reduction in solar. The automatic upgrade fan mentioned when fitted the cover overlaps even more. Maybe I'll try it when my dometic gives up. I did the PWM controller mod which gives way more control and lower current but it is still as noisy as the original resistor speed control.
  • Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    @jimcenname, the problem is...you should of switch to a MaxFan deluxe :)
    I installed one on my 400, took about 2 hours and didn't have to go on the roof. 
    ..... and it's a better fan!
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • Options
    simonseyz said:
    @jimcenname, the problem is...you should of switch to a MaxFan deluxe :)
    I installed one on my 400, took about 2 hours and didn't have to go on the roof. 
    ..... and it's a better fan!
    Wow, that was a loaded response, lol. "Better fan"?

• Options
    Yah, I don't see how to install a new MaxxAir or any new fan without working on it roof-side. Did that on my last RV and it was a pain scrapping the sealant off while not damaging the roof material. I've been pleased with Fan-tastic Fans so I don't see a reason to go elsewhere. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Received my 7350 upgrade kit from etrailer...and it came without instructions of any kind (as well as dirty and with a bent up screen and obviously opened and returned, but I'm dealing with etrailer on that).
    But after extensive google searching I haven't been able to find the installation instructions online or at Dometic's site.

So I have one question for anyone who has installed the upgrade:
    -The black wire from the fan - Does that just get tied together with the black wire from the battery and the black wire of the upgrade kit?

The red wire from the fan I know gets connected to the blue & red wire on the upgrade kit.

Thanks for the help.
    -Chris
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    ChrisFix said:
    Received my 7350 upgrade kit from etrailer...and it came without instructions of any kind (as well as dirty and with a bent up screen and obviously opened and returned, but I'm dealing with etrailer on that).
    But after extensive google searching I haven't been able to find the installation instructions online or at Dometic's site.

So I have one question for anyone who has installed the upgrade:
    -The black wire from the fan - Does that just get tied together with the black wire from the battery and the black wire of the upgrade kit?

The red wire from the fan I know gets connected to the blue & red wire on the upgrade kit.

Thanks for the help.
    -Chris
    If you call them they will email you the instructions.

• Options
    LeeMLeeM Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the posts.  I've just done the upgrade and this thread certainly help.  I, like the Aug 2019 posts by @peterac50 had the issue with the lift arm wheel on the wrong side.  Just re-greased and used my existing arm like suggested.  I had to spend a bit of time reading, but eventually understood the black power wire I had on the original could be reused as noted in the instructions and just directly clipped to the new fuse connection.  When you do this there is just an extra black wire on the new one that is just not used.  Also, the Cover cutoff switch that turns the motor off when the lid closes I had to work with.  I could not get the original wire removed from the push connection, so I just left it connected and added a pair of clip connectors to connect the new wire to the existing one.  My only other small issue was the t-slot where the rain detector needed to go through was covered by the roof install.  Just used a drill to clear it out and all worked fine.  First trip with this will be next weekend, but from just a driveway test we're pleased.  Moves a lot of air and much quieter.  Bought the kit from eTrailer.com, great service from them as I have usually gotten.
    L & L
    2016 t@b, t@bitha trim, 'TinyTot'
    TV: Toyota Highlander, 'the Buggy'
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 73
    Completed this mod today on our 2018 Tab 400.  Works great and can’t wait to be able to use the fan without keeping one eye on the battery monitor.  I tip my hat to the person who wrote the absolutely horrible instructions included with the kit.  Whatever childhood trauma caused you to dislike DIYers, those vague and incomplete instructions were the perfect revenge.  Coupling them with the dark and out-of-focus pictures was pure genius.  Without the input from this forum and YouTube videos my attempt might have been foiled.

In all seriousness, it was an easy mod but kit instructions are just garbage.  Thanks to everyone on this forum for the tips.
  • Options
    sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    I would like to upgrade my 2021 320 to the 7350 after reading all these posts and, like jimcenname, called Dometic and (after being on hold for over an hour) was told there is no upgrade path from my DV1450 to 7350 without replacing the entire assembly. 

Seriously?  

Can someone please post the part number for the 7350 upgrade kit for the vent with notched corners?  I know I saw it here somewhere but can't find it now...   It's definitely not the 80735* kit, as that one has square corners...

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2020
    sptucker said:

Can someone please post the part number for the 7350 upgrade kit for the vent with notched corners?  I know I saw it here somewhere but can't find it now...   It's definitely not the 80735* kit, as that one has square corners...

It is the fantastic fan fv807357. It appears etrailer has exclusive sales rights as you get no other hits on a search. Price changes every time you look at it as they have cleverly punitive algorithms. Right now they are on backorder until August 24th or so.

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM