T@B 320 Sunflex Inflatable Awning

Comments

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    $749 Ouch!!
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    No, but now that I know about it, I want one!  So tired of the broken poles and sagginess of the PaHaQue!  Both my awning and visor are sidelined needing pole repairs.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited April 2020
    @gooselady, Tent Pole Technologies is an excellent independent source of custom replacement poles. You buy only what you need, they ship quickly, and their prices are very reasonable compared to PahaQue. I used them last year to replace several sections of my awning pole that had split in high winds.
    While the inflatable awning is stylish and clever, I'd be just as concerned about leaks as I am about broken poles!
    2015 T@B S
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited April 2020
    Fiberglass poles are the pits,   I never buy fiberglass on purpose and if I am stuck I replace with aluminum as soon as I can.  

The entire air tent thing is a gimmick,   a few years ago a couple of tent manufactures introduced them.    Nemo was the company name I believe,  my assistant scout master was the lead gadget man,   after a very wet weekend he threw it in the dumpster at the camp.    It was hillarious as he got his gear in the truck and drug it a crossed the parking lot and dumped it in the dumpster in the pouring rain.   He looked so miserable and pathetic.   

We purchased the same tent but with aluminum poles a couple of months ago from All Pro.   it is very nice.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I just can’t see this being sturdy in heavy rain or moderate to high wind. In contrast, the regular Walker and Isabella awnings are proven performers in nasty conditions. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    was reading up on that model yesterday...read the warranty information provided..must be set up within 30 days of purchase to check for leaks..looks great but I'd be afraid of trying to get replacements parts and patching it..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    I can’t find a dealer for Isabella awnings? Ideas?
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    CBusGuy, so your friend had an inflatable tent, not the Walker Sunflexx awning, right?  And which awning did you purchase for your T@B?
    edited April 2020

It is a lot more money than the competitor.   You had me at aluminum poles.   And I had it the next day after I ordered it......I don't live that far from the factory

@gooselady you are correct it was an inflatable pole Nemo backpacking tent.    The concept is good, the reality was sleepless and soggy

@mandt my canopy and bag say isabella on them.
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Cbusguy said:
    Fiberglass poles are the pits,   I never buy fiberglass on purpose and if I am stuck I replace with aluminum as soon as I can.  

The entire air tent thing is a gimmick,   a few years ago a couple of tent manufactures introduced them.    Nemo was the company name I believe,  my assistant scout master was the lead gadget man,   after a very wet weekend he threw it in the dumpster at the camp.    It was hillarious as he got his gear in the truck and drug it a crossed the parking lot and dumped it in the dumpster in the pouring rain.   He looked so miserable and pathetic.   

We purchased the same tent but with aluminum poles a couple of months ago from All Pro.   it is very nice.
    I don't think it's fair to judge the products built by one manufacture by a bad experience with a product from an entirely different manufacturer. 

As someone who uses inflatable boats on a regular basis, I don't see why you think that it's impossible to build an an awning with a sturdy inflatable frame. If it were impossible I would've drowned a long time ago.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    @Marceline just posting up my prior experience with the technology.  What you say is true, it just might be the cats meow.    I saw it when I made my purchase and decided to go with tried an true instead of a $700 gamble.    
    I appreciate the feedback, which is why I asked for clarity.  The Isabella tent is great product, but I'm very intrigued by the inflatable, especially ease of assembly, as I travel solo and am a bit short.  I've had no problems with the PahaQue except for those darn poles keep splitting!!  And the sagging..
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited April 2020
    Cbusguy said:

The Nemo inflatable tents pretty much get 4.5 star ratings and higher just about anywhere you look on line. Sounds like the issue was either with the user or one specific tent, not the technology.

In addition, it is sort of pointless to compare the way one manufacturer uses inflatable technology to the other, sight unseen.

Isabella has a stellar reputation and I would be willing to bet they heavily tested it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    All opinions are welcome as long as they do not become personal, please. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    gooselady said:
    I appreciate the feedback, which is why I asked for clarity.  The Isabella tent is great product, but I'm very intrigued by the inflatable, especially ease of assembly, as I travel solo and am a bit short.  I've had no problems with the PahaQue except for those darn poles keep splitting!!  And the sagging..
    I have the same issues, which is why I've also been looking at the inflatables. They seem to be very popular in Europe. Last year I was considering having a cousin bring one to me from the UK the next time he visits.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    An Isabella Sun Canopy has been a very reliable accessory for nearly 10 years.  I would buy the same thing again if ever required.  Solid, tight pitch every time and highly wind resistant.  About 10 - 15 minutes solo set up.  Heavy duty canopy material with a substantial aluminum frame much more robust than light weight nylon and fiberglass pole style construction.  Definitely our highest value "accessory" hands down.

Have fun & stay safe!
    Bob

• NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
    What is the difference between the TAB 400 Allpro awning and the Tab 400 Deluxe Sun Canopy.  Is the Sun canopy worth the extra cost?  I like the idea of the Walker Tent but setting it up by myself might be an issue and the cost is a bit much.
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
    edited April 2020
    NoVaGuy said:
    What is the difference between the TAB 400 Allpro awning and the Tab 400 Deluxe Sun Canopy.  Is the Sun canopy worth the extra cost?  I like the idea of the Walker Tent but setting it up by myself might be an issue and the cost is a bit much.
    The AllPro brand awning has fewer cross supports and uses fiberglass poles (easier to break). The Deluxe Sun Canopy is the Isabella under a different name. More cross supports and aluminum instead of fiberglass.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited April 2020
    Inflatables for RVs are tried-and-true tech in use across the pond for YEARS.
    I am sure the Walker Sunflexx is a quality unit. 17lbs and looks beautiful IMO.
    As with most things you get what you pay for. Ditto with inflatable boats. B)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    Yeah. I had an Avon dinghy that was probably 20 years old when it fell into my hands and I used it another 15 years before I passed it along.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    edited April 2020
    I don’t doubt Walker’s quality and have no issue with the price tag IF it works. I’m just not sure how well an inflatable tube structure will stand up to moderate wind and/or heavy rain. And so far, I’ve yet to see any reviews on that score even out of Europe where it’s been out a bit longer.

Last spring at East Meets West, properly anchored Walker & Isabella regular awnings both stayed put during a crazy windstorm that ripped through the river valley, with 50-70 mph gusts (as did several Clam Quick Set shelters of various sizes). To me, that’s now my criteria for shelling out $600+ on an awning. Yes, I really need it to be easy to put up and relatively light weight due to my physical limitations, but if I have to take it down for 20mph sustained winds, it’s useless to me, because it’s nearly always windy in the places near water where I love to go.

If it’s shown to be that durable and it’s easier to set up than a regular Walker or Isabella, it’ll jump to the top of my buy list.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    I am trying to chose between the Isabella and the Walker inflatable.  I am not sure that the weight savings and the side wall are enough to get me to pull the trigger when there are no reviews.  Like @VictoriaP I don't want to have to run back to the camper if the winds kick up.
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    @TabberJohn Thank you for the video.  A lot to think about.  

Walker Sunflex Inflatable-  8' awning, inflatable tubes, has sides that may be rolled up, and lighter.

Walker Deluxe -6' awning, no sides, no guy ropes, a pound heavier.

Price points are close.  Not an easy decision.
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
    I would go with the 8ft inflatable.  I like the sides, the viewing window,  and the extra room.  However, since I am grounded currently, I will probably just replace my broken poles on the PahaQue.

Is the Walker fabric heavier than the lightweight Pahaque awning?
    gooselady said:
    Is the Walker fabric heavier than the lightweight Pahaque awning?
    It's WR-18 TenCate All Season double coated polyester 240 g/m² whatever that means. :s  
    Sounds substantial. Perhaps a Walker owner will chime in and knows the difference.
    "TenCate offers a high-quality coated product in 100% polyester. The material is light, yet strong and durable. The microporous acrylic coating makes the fabric waterproof, weather-resistant and durable. The material is easy to clean and meets the most stringent environmental requirements. In the double-coated version the canvas is suitable for roofs of awnings and walls."
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    That really looks well designed and I admit, it is tempting.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

There would be even more options should Dometic decide to support curved roofline campers like T@Bs.
    Unfortunately "Kampa Dometic awnings are not suitable for curved or bent sections of awning rail."
    Some examples to dream about --
    Simple: https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/climate/motorhome-and-caravan-awnings/campervan-awnings/kampa-dometic-sunshine-air-pro-vw-_-230063
    Deluxe: https://www.dometic.com/en/se/products/climate/awnings/caravan-awnings/kampa-dometic-pop-air-pro-260-_-230027
    Even a winter model: https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/lp/winter-awning
    Plus don't forget to pack a guest house for your in-laws and cousins =): https://www.dometic.com/en/se/products/climate/camping-tents/inflatable-tents/kampa-dometic-studland-8-air-_-242786

• Susan0214Susan0214 Member Posts: 20
    We just received and set up our Walker Sunflex Inflatable awning for our 320 Boondock lite. Setup was easy, does take a little manpower to blow up the two inflatable tubes. For the first time, my hubby and I set it up in about 15 minutes. I could definitely do it by myself. The hardest part would be feeding it through the rail. I may have to walk back and forth a few times. It seems heavy duty - time will tell. There are a lot of guy lines to pull the awning taut, but I put stakes and guy lines galore on anything I set up due to living in Florida and constant wind and rain. We chose this one due to the 8 feet depth and the low weight. Already we see pros and cons with the clear plastic panels on the side. The ability to fold up and down the side flaps is a nice feature. I will have to report back after we use it camping in September in the North Georgia Mountains. I think where it will really shine is when we have lots of sun and rain - wish I would have bit the bullet and ordered it for our first 3 trips which were in Florida in the midst of the summer. As a plus, it coordinates nicely with our all-white trailer.