General question about T@B Trailers

ewmjrewmjr Member Posts: 8
Greetings, 

My wife and I have been looking at trailers & RVs and we seem to be zeroing in on a T@B. They look great and aren’t too big for a novice at towing, but after reading the forum for a few weeks I’ve noticed that everyone here raves about their trailer, but then proceeds to jump into mods and other types of fixes. 

So, my question is, if the trailers are so good why does everyone feel the need to fix them? 

We’d like to get a trailer that we can load up and hit the road and not worry about a fan mod, the type of hitch I have or adding a drain pipe storage tube, etc.. Doesn’t NuCamp track these mods and try to incorporate them into the newer models? 

Thanks in advance, and apologies if my question rubs you the wrong way. 

Ed
T@B hopeful - Cincinnati

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ewmjr said:
    Greetings, 

My wife and I have been looking at trailers & RVs and we seem to be zeroing in on a T@B. They look great and aren’t too big for a novice at towing, but after reading the forum for a few weeks I’ve noticed that everyone here raves about their trailer, but then proceeds to jump into mods and other types of fixes. 

So, my question is, if the trailers are so good why does everyone feel the need to fix them? 

We’d like to get a trailer that we can load up and hit the road and not worry about a fan mod, the type of hitch I have or adding a drain pipe storage tube, etc.. Doesn’t NuCamp track these mods and try to incorporate them into the newer models? 

Thanks in advance, and apologies if my question rubs you the wrong way. 

Ed
    Hi Ed, this is a great question. The answer is yes! nuCamp does track them and incorporate them, probably more than any other manufacturer. I did a walkthrough cideo of my new, 2021 T@b 320 and compared all of the changes to my old 2015 trailer. 

To be honest, I was stunned at how nüCamp had solved almost every pain point owners had.

NüCamp desig s these trailers with features and functions that work for most people. Forums tend to attract three types of people: people with a problem, people who are looking for community, and people who like to tinker. Sometimes one mode serves as a gateway for the others, but in general, people have unique needs and wants and a trailer can't be all things to all people, thus, mods happen.

I hope that helps.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    I've found these trailers to be just fine as the come and I'm sure a lot of thought as gone into them during design. I think you'll find a level of modifications after purchase to be common for every trailer out there. 
    mods you mentioned:
    - fan: stock fan works great and moves a lot of air. But as you've read, there are upgrade options for quieter or more efficient.
    - sewer pipe storage: I still just stuff mine in a garbage bag that goes into a storage box I got at Costco. But as you've read, there are lots of other easy, do-it-yourself storage ideas for people who like to tweak.
    - Type of hitch: Not much mystery here, but depending on your tow vehicle you need to choose one that has a drop to allow level towing.  
    I would say compare, then pick one you like and go camping as is.  You'll have plenty of time to consider upgrades later, because it's fun to personalize. 

Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Susan0214Susan0214 Member Posts: 20
    I thought the same thing as we were researching our trailers. I believe the tight size and design creates a need for mods.for individualizations. Also, NuCamp is making a product that fits most users and then others tweak to their preference. I do believe storage for a sewer hose could be included, but then there would be complaints about the location or maybe regional requirements, etc.  just an example. The most important features to me were weight, ease of towing and keeping camping simple with some niceties. The main thing anyone should consider before purchasing a T@B is lack of storage inside and out compared to traditional trailers. It’s due to the teardrop shape. I have a large tow vehicle with lots of enclosed extra space, so that wasn’t something we were worried about. These trailers are about keeping it small and simple and a particular lifestyle. I do believe people that are attracted to the product are also into design and like to tinker. Individualists. 
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @ewmjr my DH has the same question to me! The answer is two part: first, because I can. Second, because it’s great to personalize your Tab for your needs and preferences. Everyone camps and lives a bit differently, mods help. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    Confession time, I am a life long tinkerer who has a well stocked work shop and has time on my hands. I purchased a 2018 400 new a couple of years ago and have travelled over 20k miles to 36 states and 4 provinces. We love our 400 and would have been happy even if it were bone stock without any modifications. With that said, NuCamp has built the perfect platform for individualizing (or not). Several mods I have made are modeled after upgrades that newer models of the 400 now have or forum suggestions. 
    I drove my 400 off the lot and was camping within 24 hours without issue. I traded an R-pod which required significant work to fix and upgrade to make it camp/travel worthy while the NuCamp products are ready to hit the road.  IMHO. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited August 2020
    @ewmjr You certainly can tow it off the lot and camp successfully. We did that with our T@B for quite some time.

I believe this forum is full of folks that enjoy customizing their camper, much like one would with a vehicle. Consider the aftermarket for pickup truck accessories for example. A truck functions perfectly well off the lot. So why do folks add shells, bed liners, tires, lift kits, etc.? Because it is fun to make it your own, not necessarily needed to be functional.

The forum is just a place where we can all do some 'bench racing' and a bit of 'show and tell'. You can also draw on the experience of others when you have an issue.

Come on in, the water is fine! I think you'd love the experience of a NuCamp product. I don't believe you'll find as many devoted fans to share your experiences with owning most other brand products.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2020
    The only change we made to our TaB400 before going camping was to add the Fanastic Fan upgrade (while a mod, the upgrade adds additional functionality to the fan) giving more speed choices and quieter operation.  The next was to add the power/Battery voltage monitor, as we plan to camp free style (boondocking), and want to keep an accurate look at battery status.  That said, the trailer had been used for two years of camping before any of these changes were made.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have driven 3 nüCamp teardrops off the lot (soon to be 4!). The first one took a while to decide if I wanted to make my life a bit easier with mods. The second two, I knew what I wanted to change to be better for my use. 

I special ordered my soon to be new T@B with solar, a good solar controller, a good battery monitor, 10 speed fan with a roof cover (more energy efficient and I can leave it on during rain), my favorite fabric on the cushions, dual batteries, and I’m sure I’m missing some!  These are upgrades or mods that I have done in the past, but those service guys can sure perform these upgrades easier than I can. 

But, I do have a list of mods for myself to help with under sink organization, a fold-down table for my satellite receiver (already made having removed it from my sold 400), a built-in tool box in the under seat storage area, an organization helper for spices...and my customization goes on. 

So, nüCamp builds a great product, but we customize it as we to how we want to live in it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @ewmjr
    You hit on something I wondered about a bit as well and I don't believe you owe anyone an apology. Don't mean for the following to sound like a sales pitch...just one owner's observations. 

FWIW, my take is that nuCamp uses what I believe are superior materials and workmanship in the RV industry in the design and construction of the T@B's "bones." The fit and finish inside the T@B is unique in my experience for the size and price point of the rig. And in general, the systems (heaters, solar, batteries, lighting, etc.) are also better quality. From a bang for your buck standpoint it's won't be easy to match. Couple that with the customer support and service after the sale and I think you'll find nuCamp sets the bar a bit higher...at least in my estimation. And nuCamp does listen to feedback and incorporate meaningful changes in subsequent models (even in the middle of model years). Are there issues with some rigs straight out of the factory...sure, just like every other RV manufacturer. Search around on this forum and you'll find those. Nothing and nobody is perfect. 

Couple things to consider. Are there systems like fans, faucets, sound systems, etc. in the marketplace that are higher grade. Sure, no doubt about that. Could nuCamp incorporate those systems in future designs to enhance design, funtionality, and performance. Yep. But at what cost? It can quickly become an issue of pricing yourself out of the marketplace. It is, after all,  a less than 20' teardrop. 

Many folks on here are tinkerer's by nature and their willingness to share that expertise helps us all. It's really not any different than buying a car, boat, home, etc. After putting some miles on it, you start to find things that make it your own and/or improve the experience.  

Do your homework. Make sure your TV is up to snuff and more than adequate for whatever you plan on towing (towing capacity, hitch type, electrical system, braking system, 7-pin etc.). Spend as much time inside a T@B as you can. That fact that you're on this forum before you've purchased is a good thing.  

Good luck in your search and enjoy the ride whatever you decide! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @ewmjr - you are a novice as we once were.  I learned about TaBs via the forum for 2 years before ordering.  We are not handy, and we viewed good planning as a way to stay out of the repair/mod shop.  By then, we knew that an upgraded fan was in the works, an ARB frig would be more carefree and efficient, a good battery monitor and a much larger battery capacity was necessary as we intended to do some boondocking.  We knew we would need solar, but flexible, mountable solar panels were not as reliable and so after delivery, we set up a portable solar system.  That has been the only mod we added.

If you know exactly how you camp, then you can prepare for exactly what you need.  That’s how we approached our order.  But, many owners discover that they use the TaB differently than they anticipated - hence the mods for battery/monitor, solar/controller, built in EMS, etc.  We all customize it to our own needs.  Just like you alter a home after purchase.

I would say that if you will always have full hookups - or at least always electric - then the stock fan/AC, frig and battery may be fine with the 2021 model.  You can hook up and go after you learn the nuances of your model.  But since you have been reading the forum, you have gained the knowledge of some challenges with the older model 3 way frig, limited battery capacity with the dealer supplied battery and the Fantastic Fan.  So, know your limits.  All RVs have a learning curve.

So, those mods are not “fixes”.  Also, be careful with RVs that seem to have every possible item included - corners were probably cut somewhere to keep the cost down.   

Why are you zeroing in on a TaB?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I like the nüCamp approach, of keeping everything somewhat basic and simple. Modern RVs are complicated enough with just the basic equipment.  I see the TaB series as the top end Glamping units of small RV trailers.  

At the other end in a well built camping rig, is the Taxia Cricket, an even more basic Tab 320 type camper but slight larger, and the even larger Taxia Mantis which is more like a TaB400 in size but with more inside room. Both are as basic a camping trailer as it gets, with the focus on being outdoor habitats, with just basic systems, and a tent feel.

We looked at both to start, Taxia units are also well built, with a foam sandwich and aluminum construction, while the TaBs offered a little more finished home like interior and Azdel side panels, which have a warmer look and feel on the inside.  We also decided that a full shower washroom and comfortable bed were priority requirements.  Each has their advantages and disadvantages, and in the end it boils down to the type of camping you want to do.

Nomone RV is going to be perfect right off the lot, we each have individual needs and requirements that are not possible for a manufacturer to meet for everyone in a single RV.  Choices are nice to have.  B)
    Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Just to be clear: Having had three previous RVs on the road and one project rig that I worked on, plus knowing numerous RV owners over the years:

It doesn’t matter what brand you buy. There will be *something* you find you want to modify, and typically you’ll find several things that could work better for the way YOU personally camp. Did you move into your house and never change a thing? Not even paint, or a plant in the yard? Did you never upgrade your light bulbs from incandescent, or change out a faucet? Add a bin to a shelf?

It’s the same thing.

You’re also looking at a single group of owners here, and that group happens to do a fair amount of tinkering for the most part, though not everyone does. There are thousands of owners that never come to these online forums, and many of them may do little to their rigs at all. We don’t know, unless we run into them on the road somewhere.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @VictoriaP - Project rig😂. Sounds like every house I have ever lived in!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @VictoriaP I finally ran into a Tabber like that two trips ago. I was going through the loop, saw a nice 320CS-S and stopped to say
    hello, I’m a Tabber, etc. The man looked at me like I was absolutely nuts. So I quickly moved on.  :s
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    edited August 2020
    @VictoriaP - Project rig😂. Sounds like every house I have ever lived in!
    I still sometimes regret letting that one go, it was a vintage Apache, even smaller and cuter than my Tab. But I literally never camped in it, not even once, because second husband was a “camp in the dirt without a tent” type (no, thank you!), and it didn’t occur to me way back then that I could solo. 

But yes, the project house thing...I’m so done with that concept! Never again, next house will be structually sound, up to code, and nothing needed beyond some paint. My Tab has a few mods done, all pretty small or outsourced. I bought new to minimize how much work I’d have to put into this trailer before I could actually camp in it! 😂

@Homebodyatheart Sorry he wasn’t a kindred spirit, that’s a bummer.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    I like plain salad, no salad dressing.  I guess some people find that a little, well, plain.  Many prefer salad dressing, ah, but which one?  I guess we all have different tastes.  All-in-all NuCamp keeps most happy.  One time I ordered a Caesar salad, with no dressing.   Now that salad was definitely a bit plain(even for me) Out tab has been great since we got, a few personalizing mods has made it a little bit more ours.  
    2016 cs-s max
  • ewmjrewmjr Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for all the detailed replies.  I guess that they confirmed what I thought and what everyone said, nothing is perfect and tinkerers gotta tinker 😜

I had looked at T@Bs about 3 years ago and was intrigued and also amazed at the mods people were doing.  Now that we’re retired I think it’s time to hit the road!  

Of course our RAV4 Hybrid won’t work as a TV so we need to pick a new vehicle and that’s tied to whether we go with a 320 or 400,
    Too many decisions🤯

Thanks again, and I’ll get back to reading and bookmarking interesting mods. 
    T@B hopeful - Cincinnati
    @ewmjr

Regarding the 320 vs 400 decision: if you haven’t already, please go to a dealer who has both in stock, and spend at least an hour “playing” at camping in a 320. Tell the salesman you’ll come find him when you’re ready to talk, but that you need time. Make the bed and lay down on it. Get in and out of the bathroom, pretend to use the shower. Dig into the cabinets. Where would you store everything?Visualize what it would be like to be stuck together in this very small space in bad weather. 

It’s a terrific, compact space, well designed for the most part, but if I’d been cooped up in there with my late husband? That would have lasted maybe one or two trips before I insisted on upgrading to the 400. Every rig is different, and being stuck in one during a torrential downpour makes all its flaws apparent fast. Likewise, even solo, my needs for occasional short term trips are very different from what I would want full time or even part time as a snowbird. I admire those who can full time in a 320, but I don’t think I could do so myself. So how you prefer to camp makes a difference too.

Everyone is different, obviously, and for some a 320 is an excellent choice. But I tend to think a lot of the reason that model sees high turnover in the first couple of years is that people fall in love with the idea of a tiny trailer, and don’t realize the compromises they’ll need to make until they actually use it. Spending a lot of time in one at the dealer actually going through the motions of camping can help with that.

Good luck!

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    there truly is no "one size fits all" when it comes to designing a trailer..NuCamp has incorporated many mods that others have done..like others have said it's about how each one of us uses our trailers..we currently own a T@G and I added a shelf that others said they would have kicked in their sleep..for us it provided a space to put our electronics at the end of the night..have fun figuring it all out and yes I like to "tinker too"!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2020
    While some may consider ‘mods’ to equate to ‘fixes’, I think of them more as ‘customizations’.  Of course, some mods may also solve issues for some people as well, but still, why does anyone upgrade parts of their cars, or add improvements to their homes?  Usually its just to make it even more to their liking, or to fit more to their personalized usage. Of course, most of us also spend time (and/or money) fixing issues with cars/homes as well, but I would not call those ‘mods’

Personally, I get excited to see the ideas that others have come up with to improve on what is already a pretty darn good product.  My 2 cents.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.