Where to put pressure regulator?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Toilet issue.

Comments

• Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Might be a very obvious answer so just shake you head if that is the case. I was wondering if it matters if you put the pressure regulator at the city connection end or the T@B end of the hose?
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    Kr@cken said:
    Might be a very obvious answer so just shake you head if that is the case. I was wondering if it matters if you put the pressure regulator at the city connection end or the T@B end of the hose?
    It doesn't matter which end of the hose the regulator is on. Once the pressure is regulated, it stays at that pressure. 

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Kr@cken said:
    Actually it should be installed at the faucet end, not at the camper.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    That is what I do, the less weight on the camper end, the better...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Dutch061 said:
    Kr@cken said:

Brad
    Why?
    It has to regulate exactly the same at either end of the hose.

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    ChrisFix said:
    Dutch061 said:
    Kr@cken said:

Brad
    Why?
    It has to regulate exactly the same at either end of the hose.

I do that way because it puts less stress on the hose.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Most references that I could find refer to attaching the regulator at the spigot and discuss protecting the hose and camper plumbing from excess pressure.  However, several years ago I found a reference that advocated connecting the regulator at the camper end in case the hose heats up, generates excess pressure and bursts.  Also, we place the filter at the spigot end to make sure no sediment etc gets in the hose.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    I also put the filter (and regulator) at the spigot...but I still contend there is absolutely no difference in whether the pressure regulator is at the spigot or the camper. 
    If anything, the regulator at the camper ensures no oddities with the hose, which I don't really think factors greatly into the discussion.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited October 2020
    This tangential topic has taken on some life so I'm kicking it out to it's own discussion.

My regulator is attached to a 90-degree elbow that reduces the strain on the camper fitting. I always attach at the camper end, but frankly I think this is a "whatever floats your boat" situation and not something I spend much energy worrying about.  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Another option I use when I have the inline water filter attached, is to put the filter (larger and heavier than the pressure regulator, on the city water faucet end, and use a bit of spring flex hose to connect the pressure regulator and hose to the TaB end.  I find it hard to turn the TaB water fixture lock ring, and can thread in the short flex hose bit on very quickly, and then attach the regulator and hose to the springy flex hose female end.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We place the regulator at the spigot first, then the water supply to our water filter (whole house type filter in a Camco filter holder) then a short line to the T@B.  I have had the lesser quality hose swell and break in the summer sun with the regulator at the T@B.  Having the regulator first reduces the pressure on your supply line as well as the T@B.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I agree that it is a personal choice, but I connect the pressure regulator at the spigot to reduce the water pressure before it enters the water hose.  I also use a 90-degree elbow for my hose at the trailer connection.  Since the water pressure regulator and how it should be connected is a common question on this forum, here are some relevant photos for future reference:

Sample water pressure regulator (40-50 psi recommended):

Water pressure regulator connection at campground spigot:

90-degree elbow connector:

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I use the exact above pictured fittings, placing the regulator at the water source end. I also use a whole house filter, as @atlasb mentioned above:
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Is the whole house filter for those who full time?  Is it more economical relative to the Camco filters?  Better filter?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I feel that they are a better filter as a whole. Maybe they will be more economical over time, but it depends on the type of filter cartridge that one uses within the housing, which is one of the benefits: various types of filter cartridges, filtering a host of impurities.

TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback