For Those Who Relish Boondocking...A Head's Up

AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
Must admit up front I've not boondocked much since purchasing my rig. That said, even the preliminary thoughts of limiting access to public lands does not sit well with me, whether I use them or not. They are, after all, our lands...as mentioned here:

https://drivinvibin.com/2020/12/31/abolish-boondocking/
2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
San Diego, CA
www.airbossone.com
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    A whole article without a shred of evidence.  "Its happening in New Zealand".......quotes from an "RV park forum" that he doesn't name.......I'm sorry I clicked.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @pthomas745
    Take from it what you will...or not. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
     New Zealand and America are two completely different animals.  With such a deep history of public land use and don't tread on me philosophy I really don't see boondocking completely going away.  Certain areas may be closed off because they get trashed and over used, I've seen that often, but it's not going to become illegal in America.  Many cities already have codes prohibiting camping and honestly I could care less if I can't spend the night in a walmart parking lot.  I never would anyway.  But public lands are a different animal than a walmart parking lot.  Poorly written article that seemed to just be pushing you to join a lobbyist group.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    Don't see myself spending the night in a Walmart lot either...with ya' there. 

Nor do I see use of public lands becoming illegal. Simply posted as a heads up. 

Think the underlying issue is there are forces out there that may not have a boondockers best interest at heart...both governmental and otherwise.  US media is full of examples of folks, whose IQ mirrors their height in inches, who could not care less about preserving our public lands.  

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    This seems a bit overblown. These decisions are made on so at so many levels I don't see any organized national effort. Besides "boon docking" means many different things to different people. Dispersed camping, typically meant setting up camp on public lands where no camping facilities or designated sites exist. That has evolve in some places to include sites with limited facilities (a vault toilet) and designated sites. It is all because what once worked fine for a few dozen campers a year is over loaded with hundreds of campers. Those responsible for managing these areas need to adjust management as numbers increase. In most cases on public lands the management options are open to public debate and input.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    A whole article without a shred of evidence.  "Its happening in New Zealand".......quotes from an "RV park forum" that he doesn't name.......I'm sorry I clicked.
    Agree....interesting enough, Driving and Vibin were T@b owners for a brief minute when they first started FT life.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    I think the point is not to take this for granted.  Vigilance is the cost of freedom.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @rfuss928...I agree with what you said except for when a trucker can't find a spot to overnight in...and they have to continue driving...by law they can only drive so many hours and I'm sure most of them stay at the same spots pre-planned..no different than how my in-laws used to travel with their fifth wheel...I remember @Restless_Native saying that if she was going to overnight at a rest stop and it was almost full she continued on
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    ontheroad said:
    @rfuss928...I agree with what you said except for when a trucker can't find a spot to overnight in...and they have to continue driving...by law they can only drive so many hours and I'm sure most of them stay at the same spots pre-planned..no different than how my in-laws used to travel with their fifth wheel...I remember @Restless_Native saying that if she was going to overnight at a rest stop and it was almost full she continued on
    I prefer to not stop at overnight areas that are full, but I remember one occasion driving through a ton of rain and finally landing in Ogallala at the Walmart. 

They have an overnight parking lot, but I parked in the main lot by the overnight lot was full.

The Walmart employee was apologetic that it was so loud and assured me they welcomed me in their main lot. They actually built that Walmart dues to anticipated overnight parking and the revenue that it would generate.

I hate it when I see people abusing the Walmart privilege. I saw an RV with all sorts of stuff, including camp chairs out at Walmart in Montrose, CO. Disappointing.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I doubt this article pertains to Federal lands, National Forest, and other protected, publicly available lands.  It most likely refers to local public lands that are part of local city/town governments that are *not* protected by law.  These lands should be regulated in regards to camping.  Not all public land is available for use however you see fit.

I'll be perfectly honest here - there are way too many irresponsible campers out there now.  Here in Colorado I've seen some pretty trashed camp sites from irresponsible hunters, weekenders, and city folk that drive up into my backyard and leave their... waste... wherever they please.  And then there are the transient folk masquerading as campers.  They pull into parking lots, side streets, private land, or city owned land and stay until they are kicked out.  Yes, regulate this.  It is getting really bad.

National Forest lands are taxpayer owned so these will be available for use for quite some time.  I doubt it will last forever, though.  This is where I 'boondock', and I take care of my campsite and pack my crap out.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Michigan_Mike, thank you. Well thought out, elegantly said and appropriately applied. -Denise & Jim.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    So it's Quartzite area RV time again.  I'm based in Texas, so would normally travel through NM.  Besides, it snows too much in Texas.  If I read:

https://cv.nmhealth.org/travel-recommendations/

...regarding travel through New Mexico, it says I have to enter the state, but thereafter only leave the place of lodging (the trusty T@B) for medical care. And that's for the period of 14 days, or after the much smaller RV show this year is over.

I've been vaccinated (TX & FL started their Phase 1B for non-healthcare, non-1rst responders, and non-nursing home residents/staff much earlier than other states), but it sounds like to be in compliance with NM public health orders, I'd have to do TX -> OK -> CO -> UT -> AZ.

Anybody else travel through NM lately and been advised how RV through travelers are being handled?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Campendium has partnered with Friends of the Bridger-Teton NF to raise money to install pit toilets at one of the more popular boondocking spots just outside if GTNP. They have had volunteer camp hosts in that area for a few years and it is making a difference. 

I wish that we saw more creative approaches to solving these problems vs. the wholesale shutdown of areas that we have been seeing over the past few years. 

DougH said:
    So it's Quartzite area RV time again.  I'm based in Texas, so would normally travel through NM.  Besides, it snows too much in Texas.  If I read:

https://cv.nmhealth.org/travel-recommendations/

...regarding travel through New Mexico, it says I have to enter the state, but thereafter only leave the place of lodging (the trusty T@B) for medical care. And that's for the period of 14 days, or after the much smaller RV show this year is over.

I've been vaccinated (TX & FL started their Phase 1B for non-healthcare, non-1rst responders, and non-nursing home residents/staff much earlier than other states), but it sounds like to be in compliance with NM public health orders, I'd have to do TX -> OK -> CO -> UT -> AZ.

Anybody else travel through NM lately and been advised how RV through travelers are being handled?
    Travelled thru northern NM in early October (Gallup, Albuquerque, Tucumcari) eastbound then again in mid/late November (Hobbs, Carlsbad, Roswell, Socorro, TorC) westbound. 

So, not exactly recently and given how this situation changes week to week perhaps not timely. What I can say is the entire time I was in NM (or any of the other 12 states I visited) I was never asked by anyone how long I had been in the state, where I was staying, was I just passin' thur, etc. All the RV parks were glad to see me and many owners weren't even sure themselves what was expected of them. And while they were all consciencious about it, they were not in a position to be the Wuhan police in their own establishment. Not good for business.

The reality is there is no way to monitor or enforce whatever "recommendations" the state decides to pass down. If you're just overnighting, not an issue. Pull in, park, wear a mask, distance, wake-up, and move on. Common sense stuff...probably what you're already doing and have been for, well, almost a year now. 

Fact is, state and local governments are relying on everyone to exercise self-control and judgment. That's basically all they can do. Do that, and you'll have no issues. 

Post up some pics and stories about Quartzite. Almost pulled the trigger on that one but my schedule just didn't permit it. Bucket list for me. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

edited January 2021
    @AirBoss Thanks!

From YT postings this week, it looks sparsely populated so far...

Wow...no idea this post would generate this level of negativity. 

I get information from all manner of sources and make it a habit to not discount anyone's opinion out of hand. Was their article up to Woodward and Bernstein caliber...no. Did it contain some information some folks may find useful, I'd believe it may...,which was my motivation for posting it in the first place.

We're all entitled to our opinions. As I stated above, take from it what you will...or not. 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2021
    No problem, really. If there is a serious threat to free dispersed/boondock camping it is that so many more people now doing it and the land can only sustain so much.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • CuffsCuffs Member Posts: 13
    Just coming back to this forum from an absence, about to take delivery on our new t@b!

I see this is a few months old, but wanted to share some things I see with dispersed camping/boondocking...

I live right outside Zion NP.  (I used to live right outside Yosemite, and in a couple months, we are relocating to Grand Canyon. In case you couldn't tell, we work for the National Park Service ;) )

The area just outside Zion is primarily BLM lands.  There are designated campsites all across it.  With the changes to camping-sheer numbers have at least tripled, and the number of people new to camping has exploded - the basic 'rules' have gone out the window.  Trash is being left everywhere. Fecal waste is just 'dropped' wherever is convenient to the campsite. Cant find a spot?  Just pull over on the side of the road, leave your full trash bag in the turn out... Baby diapers tossed out windows.  Camp fires when there's fire bans.  Creating new campsites and destroying fragile habitat in the process... Its mind-blowing to see these beautiful lands being destroyed.

The complete disregard for basic decency is not there in the campers that Im seeing.

As a devout camper, backpacker, I know this is not most of 'us' here on the forums.  I want to be able to access these lands on my time off.  I do not want to see regulations handed out that limits access to anyone. But I also do not want to have to dodge human trash or bodily waste to do just go camping.  

I don't have an answer as to how to manage the land better, I wish I did!  The way people have treated this area for the last couple years has disgusted me and I actually cant wait to move away from it.  yes, its that bad...

:o 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    That is very sad.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    This is very sad indeed.  If this trend continues, we are going to loose theses free BLM areas for camping, that are being abused.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    We've been dispersed camping the past two weekends near out house here in Colorado and so far I've been pleasantly surprised.  No trash and people seem to be taking care of the areas.  Hopefully that continues into the summer.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • homerdhomerd Member Posts: 37
    On our trip to Alaska by way of Alaska Highway, Sometimes the Walmart and retail places that allow you to overnight saves you! We camped in Whitehorse, YK at a Canada Superstore (Grocery) because all campsites were full. Same at a Walmart when driving much to late to access a campsite. Felt blessed to have this option. Throughout Canada we were impressed with the lack of litter in all places as well as in Alaska. If I do find trash, I pick it up.
    2022 Tab 320S Boodock
    2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    2013 KZ Durango 336RE
    2013 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ Duramax
    Akron, Ohio Summer/Fall and out camping
    Largo, Florida Winter

• marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 129
    We may lose the ability to use Walmart and/or other businesses based on this type of legal action.  In a nutshell, the plaintiff left her two children unattended in her van while she went into Walmart to shop.  A nearby camper van caught on fire via a hot plate, causing the plaintiff's and other vehicles to also catch on fire.  Sadly, her 6 yr old daughter died.  (Yes, this occurred in a suburb near me.)

Essie McKenzie alleges that the retail chain's policy of letting people camp in its parking lots unsupervised led to a fire that killed her 6-year-old daughter.
    https://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/news/local/mother-sues-walmart-after-childs-death-in-parking-lot/89-4b156476-0e93-44fc-a586-728b45b5a553

Her lawsuit alleges Walmart is negligent by not supervising these campers.  No mention of her failure to supervise her children.  Definitely a tragic situation, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

--Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 129
    More info.  Evidently, the camper who started the fire had moved his van from the area used for camping into the main parking area after cooking breakfast and tossed the still hot hotplate into the back of the van before doing so.

https://youtu.be/CJww9EpguQU

Regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit, one wonders if Walmart or other businesses will rethink their policies.

--Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    A truly tragic story, that could have been avoided.  The mon who left here children without adult supervision in her van is guilty of child neglect at the least, and possible child endangerment, and shares in the responsibly for this tragic accident.  The guy that was camping and put a still hot item into the back,of his van, is also responsible due to his neglect.  I do not see where Walmart is responsible at all.  The parking lot is a, use at your own risk convenience.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.