Options

2021 Tab cassette toilet styles

MejaneMejane Member Posts: 5
edited January 2021 in Products and Accessories
does anyone know why there are 2 different cassette toilets in the 2021 tabs?  One is nice and molded while the other looks retrofitted.   I have attached pics of each here.  

Photos deleted due to excessive size.   Moderator

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Parts availability?  During this pandemic situation, some RV supplies are hard to source.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited January 2021
    Any chance that other was a special order and it's composting toilet and not a cassette toilet?

I see that they have several models with that toilet. I would also guess parts availability. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have found some cassette toilets that do look like the first photo on the RV universe site, but they are clean and they do have plastic on the seats. 

I guess with the extreme shortages of cassette toilets, nüCamp must have found a different source and a different model of cassette toilet. But they would never have shipped such a dirty one!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    tjhooker3544tjhooker3544 Member Posts: 2
    So I just took delivery of my Boondock 320 S that I ordered months ago (like almost 6?). It has the first toilet, which I was surprised to see, as I was expecting the second one as shown in all the videos and photos while I was shopping for it. It is still a cassette toilet. The other big surprise, and I am waiting to hear back from the dealer who contacted NuCamp for me, was no Yakima roof rack?!?!?! Initial response from Nucamp was they are behind and everything is delayed due to pandemic. Delivery was delayed because of the pandemic and I was told they were waiting for door lock parts.

• Options
    Good catch on differences in photo, the shower pan also looks different in the two photos.  What you are seeing as dirt or dirty toilet in one of the photos, is video noise in the underexposed parts of the shot, creating a dirty grain like look.
    cheers
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    So I just took delivery of my Boondock 320 S that I ordered months ago (like almost 6?). It has the first toilet, which I was surprised to see, as I was expecting the second one as shown in all the videos and photos while I was shopping for it. It is still a cassette toilet. The other big surprise, and I am waiting to hear back from the dealer who contacted NuCamp for me, was no Yakima roof rack?!?!?! Initial response from Nucamp was they are behind and everything is delayed due to pandemic. Delivery was delayed because of the pandemic and I was told they were waiting for door lock parts.

My dealer contacted me a few weeks ago and told me that there was a shortage of the the Yakima racks due to the pandemic, and that my 320 BD would be delivered without one. I was given the option of either having it retrofit or getting a credit toward the price and went with the first.
    As far as the toilet, I will be unhappy if the BD comes with something other than what is shown in the nuCamp catalog. I understand that the pandemic has made things difficult, which is why I'm OK with having to wait nearly 8 months for delivery. Waiting all that time and then getting something that appears to be inferior to what I believed I ordered will not be well received however.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    I would not be happy either and honestly would most likely not accept the trailer.  Something you may want to ask them about sooner than later.  They may be able to even send some pictures from the factory after the build is complete.  I inquired for a few photos which NuCamp took and happily sent me.  And in the photos I noticed they put on the wrong colored graphics which I brought to their attention and they corrected.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    HoundHound Member Posts: 8
    Mejane - Do you see a make or model number anywhere on the toilet? I have a 320s on order, and I would like to look up some information on this alternate installation. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    bergger said:
    I would not be happy either and honestly would most likely not accept the trailer.  Something you may want to ask them about sooner than later.  They may be able to even send some pictures from the factory after the build is complete.  I inquired for a few photos which NuCamp took and happily sent me.  And in the photos I noticed they put on the wrong colored graphics which I brought to their attention and they corrected.  
    The non-standard version of the toilet in the OP's photo is ugly, looks like an afterthought and appears to eat into the space in the compartment.
    I sent a note to the dealer and asked if there was a change, that they try to get some photos of the replacement.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Looks like it might be this Thetford model? https://www.thetford.com/product/c220-cassette-toilets/
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Personally, if I was getting a 320, I would prefer the new ThetfordC220, with its lager rotating residential type seat, which looks like it would be more convenient/comfortable to use, over the outhouse looking original spec’d toilet.  While the original looks amore built in looking, the limited space behind it could be problematic for larger users.  

It would be grand to have a choice on this option, then everyone wins.  I was looking at the C220 as an option to get on the TaB400, which also would be nice.  
    Cheers
  • Options
    I have sent an email to nüCamp and will report back when I receive an answer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ClearClear Member Posts: 4
    Hi: New to T@Bs here, but not trailering or camping. Ordered 320S Boondock in Aug, 2020. Took Delivery on Jan 6, 2021. My build date was Dec 7, 2020. I have been looking today at the comments on this matter & decided to chime in. My month old 320 come with the other Toilet. It is a Thetford C220 Cassette toilet. Though surprised it was not the one previous models had installed. I accepted it as a replacement. It still is a Thetford cassette & the Toilets look different. I have included photos of the Toilet & also of the accompanying Cassette. The Cassette appears to be different as well. I accepted the change because of the space that's now open between the toilet & inside wall. though not a large area but it can afford some extra storage area when traveling or a quick place to stash something at bedtime. The gate valve is to the lower left above the floor. The water fill button is right rear on console. There is a light on the housings right front next to the toilet seat. This may be a "Cassette Full" indicator light. I called Nu Camp to ask about this indicator light but haven't received a return call yet. The Retro fitted box houses part of the cassette when in use position. I'm winterized & in Ohio & cannot at this time function test everything to give you all a broader description. The Toilet was not a deal breaker for me.  There were some other production change that I have noted. I'm out of time today & will try to post them this weekend.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    How much free floor space from the front of the toilet to the wall?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ClearClear Member Posts: 4
    18 inches of free space, front of toilet to wall.
  • Options
    Per nüCamp, this was a case of “the supply chain is still having problems” and nüCamp is using a Thetford cassette toilet that is available. I will be sent photos (yes I see the ones in the above comment, but I had already asked for the photos).  I also asked if this is a permanent replacement or not. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MejaneMejane Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2021
    Thanks all for your input....you are exactly right! i did contact nucamp and they said shortages due to covid, substitutes were made. It is a thetford.  I decided it wasnt a deal breaker because everything else was perfect and i could have it today!   I still prefer the aesthetics of the original bench version though. 

Photos deleted due to size.  Moderator
  • Options
    And the official word from the nüCamp factory:

” In regards to the toilet, on 10/29/20 we started using the C223-S cassette toilet on the TAB 320 as a temporary deviation. This was the toilet you sent in the photo.

This morning I was made aware that we switched back to the original C403L cassette toilet on 1/7/21.  Both Toilets are Thetford products.  We had no choice on this deviation, it was either switch or stop building. “

So, for just a little over two months, nüCamp used another Thetford cassette toilet model. While I, personally, am not fond of the control box next to the outer wall, I am envious of the floor storage area on the cabin side of the toilet. I even recommended that the designers look at a cargo door on the cabin side of the toilet to give us access for our Happy Camper cassette tank treatment (or whichever brand you use), toilet cleaner and brush and squeegee. I don’t know how far that comment will go, but it makes sense to me. There mi

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    And the official word from the nüCamp factory:

” In regards to the toilet, on 10/29/20 we started using the C223-S cassette toilet on the TAB 320 as a temporary deviation. This was the toilet you sent in the photo.

This morning I was made aware that we switched back to the original C403L cassette toilet on 1/7/21.  Both Toilets are Thetford products.  We had no choice on this deviation, it was either switch or stop building. “

So, for just a little over two months, nüCamp used another Thetford cassette toilet model. While I, personally, am not fond of the control box next to the outer wall, I am envious of the floor storage area on the cabin side of the toilet. I even recommended that the designers look at a cargo door on the cabin side of the toilet to give us access for our Happy Camper cassette tank treatment (or whichever brand you use), toilet cleaner and brush and squeegee. I don’t know how far that comment will go, but it makes sense to me. There mi

Interesting. Our 320 isn't scheduled to be built until next month, so it looks like I may get the "old" style toilet - assuming no more supply chain driven deviations.
  • Options
    PongPong Member Posts: 39
    I have a new 320S with the "substitution toilet".  While perhaps not as perfect  looking as the original, I'm glad I got the sub for practical reasons: a bit of additional storage.  I will be attaching a narrow basket onto the "factory made" shelf on the out side of the toilet and also using the narrow floor area on the in side for more storage. FYI, that shelf is approximately  5"x16", very slightly tilted to the inside, for water drainage I assume, but perfectly able to afford some badly needed shelf space. 
    2021 Tab 320 BD; Honda Passport
  • Options
    tab_newbietab_newbie Member Posts: 4
    Question on the substitute Thetford model: is the cassette accessed the same way, through the outside hatch? Or, do you have to remove it from directly under the toilet in the small bathroom space?
  • Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    The cassette is accessed via the external hatch.
  • Options
    All RV cassette toilets have external access to remove the cassette tank.  Having to remove the holding tank on a toilet from under it in the washroom, describes a Porta-Potty.  The location of the waste holding tank is the difference between the two.
    cheers
  • Options
    tab_newbietab_newbie Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the clarification, as a newbie i didn't know.
  • Options
    No worries my friend, and welcome aboard. 
    cheers
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    Hi all... took delivery today of my 320 S Boondock.  Fortunately for me (sorry everyone) we were able to find one at a dealer and snapped it up.   It does have the Thetford toilet and it is fine.  I actually do like the swivel.. as a 6’2 guy the knee room helps (tmi I know).  As for the rack not installed I honestly can’t see it being overly useful and simple deducted the $300 from the price.  If I see some great ideas for usage I can always install it later.  Overall... LOVE this thing.. attention to detail is actually quite amazing.   Can’t wait to do something more than look at it!  
  • Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    Bclarke said:
    Hi all... took delivery today of my 320 S Boondock.  Fortunately for me (sorry everyone) we were able to find one at a dealer and snapped it up.   It does have the Thetford toilet and it is fine.  I actually do like the swivel.. as a 6’2 guy the knee room helps (tmi I know).  As for the rack not installed I honestly can’t see it being overly useful and simple deducted the $300 from the price.  If I see some great ideas for usage I can always install it later.  Overall... LOVE this thing.. attention to detail is actually quite amazing.   Can’t wait to do something more than look at it!  
    Good to hear as I was concerned about those 2 points.

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    We took delivery of our T@B 320 S BD exactly a week ago. We expected the alternate toilet but it came with the standard version. Our dealer said that he was under the impression that only the CS version was shipping with the alternate toilet, but based on remarks in this thread, that's not accurate.
    The T@B shipped without the Yakima rack. but the dealer will install that when nuCamp gets them back in stock and sends the backorder to him.
  • Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    CharlieRN said:
    We took delivery of our T@B 320 S BD exactly a week ago. We expected the alternate toilet but it came with the standard version. Our dealer said that he was under the impression that only the CS version was shipping with the alternate toilet, but based on remarks in this thread, that's not accurate.
    The T@B shipped without the Yakima rack. but the dealer will install that when nuCamp gets them back in stock and sends the backorder to him.
    There is some real lack of communication between NuCamp and the Dealers down to the buyers. Why as a buyer I need to find these out after the product arrives rather than be under the impression of something. I totally understand the issues both dealers and the NuCamp is having either with supply or demand, and I can let it slide if I'm being kept in the loop considering how much money as a client I'm spending. I'm finding out all my information on sites like this and Facebook. I still have no Idea what toilet was installed or why I have a completely different faucet than the one shown in everyone else's picture or the brochure. 

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Rodent77 - Many new owners have not witnessed the growth that has occurred at the factory and nuCamp in just a few years.  They have come a long way and they continue to improve.  I think you will find that any constructive suggestions that you have will be (and may already have been) considered.  I am not sure you have the same access to the heart of a much larger corporation.  They continue to streamline and reorganize as necessary.  I think building a reliable Dealer network is a crapshoot because you can not control exactly what occurs at the Dealer level.  That is why we have threads that direct owners to proven Dealers.  Regarding not knowing what kind of toilet or faucet - I think that is simply a COVID supply issue and will eventually go away.  NuCamp probably can’t slow down to notify each owner or Dealer.  Sorry you are frustrated.  You will soon have your new TaB and start having fun!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio