Options

Jensen on/off switch?

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
I'd like to shut down any unused parasitic draw while camping at night.  I've narrowed it down to the night light in the shower and the Jensen entertainment center. I realize the shower light probably needs to stay on, but has anyone devised a simple on/off switch for the Jensen?
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Outback, I vaguely remember someone doing that, but I couldn't find the link to save my life. Sorry! Just know it's been done. With all your mods, I would have sworn it was you lol. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity - I've learned my lesson. I'm going to ask if someone else (who is much smarter than me) has already done one of my planned mods BEFORE I attempt my own solution. If not, then I have Carte Blanche to screw it up myself.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I just added an on off switch on my dutchman T@B and routed the radio power through the switch.  I leave the switch off unless I want the system available (I actually rarely use the system).  Since it is an older model, not sure how similar it would be, but the notion of tying the power to a simple on/off switch should be similar.
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Yep one of the first 
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Tony, Tony, Tony.  You better post some photos with a detailed description of how to do it!
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    I'm trying to put them as fast as I can in that photo stream as members ask. With so many mods everyone has there own preference to what's important. 
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Hi @Tonydjd and @mash2 - I'm very interested in finding out more about how to do this mod. 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Hi @Tonydjd and @mash2 - I'm very interested in finding out more about how to do this mod. 
    @Mellow_Yellow Some info and pics in this thread, scroll down to Tabaz’s posts with pictures. https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5577/jensen-radio-disconnect/p1

First thing I’d do is pull out the stereo and see if your wires are labeled the way current the Jensen in more recent Tab models are. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    edited January 2021
    Here's your lost reference:
    Subsequent to writing this I learned that the parasitic draw from the Jensen is considerably less than I indicated if you turn the Jensen on and off again.  Applying power when the Jensen is "off" gets it into a wonky high-current-draw mode.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2021
    I just ran the power through a rocker/toggle switch.  It's three pole; ground (tee'd off of radio ground), power from T@b, and power to Jenson.  LED lights up when switched on.  Drill the hole next to the Jenson. 

We did this more to turn off the display for sleeping, verses the hassle of dimming it way down, then way up when you want to use it.  The reduced parasitic draw is a second benefit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SC27364?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    I just wired this switch in,
    Dorman Conduct-Tite Rocker Switch 84880 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
    Put it inline in the 12 volt wire and also the ground into the ground wire. Switch works but the light in the switch does not come on. Switch the load and power around, switch worked but no light. I then ran the ground directly to the ground bus, same result. Got another brand of switch, same results, switch works but no light. What am I doing wrong here? 
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    I cannot see the details for this switch, but with only 3 contacts it probably uses:
    1. +12V in (from battery)
    2. +12V out (to radio)
    3. GND (unswitched)
    Does the back of the switch give any indication as to which terminal is which?  Otherwise you may need a multimeter to diagnose.  Terminals 2 to 3 should have a moderate resistance or infinite resistance depending on which way round you apply the multimeter probes; terminals 1 to 2 should be open or short circuit depending on the state of the switch.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Yes it does, I switch the load and power around but same result. I also get same result
    with a different switch. Switch works great but the light does not come on. Thanks
  • Options
    Do you have a multimeter to look at the resistance (ohms) between "Load" and "Ground"?
  • Options
    I am a novice electrician but I do have a meter. My meter reads 1 between load and ground on all the settings.
  • Options
    The switch is only closing contacts between power and load.  The ground is there solely to illuminate the light when the contacts are closed, indicating power to the load.  The internal light is connected to ground and the load side, which only gets power when the switch is closed.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @cyoung - you need to disconnect the switch from ground before making the measurement.
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    rh5555 said:
    Here's your lost reference:
    Subsequent to writing this I learned that the parasitic draw from the Jensen is considerably less than I indicated if you turn the Jensen on and off again.  Applying power when the Jensen is "off" gets it into a wonky high-current-draw mode.
    This seems like a very simple way to reduce parasitic loss (if I would only remember to :s) but not sure I am following why this would work.
    Can you explain more? 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    The ground was removed for this and meter reads 1. When I add the ground wire back on meter reads around 2 @20k
  • Options
    I think you have a bad switch with a failed light circuit.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @xdr - I have no certain knowledge about why the Jensen's power consumption is dramatically reduced if you turn it on, then off again.  I can only assume it is a result of poor engineering/programming that results in the Jensen being in some intermediate state when power is first applied, and this is fixed when you power cycle it.
  • Options
    Replaced the switch with a third one and it works now. What are the chances of 2 bad switches, my bad luck. Thanks everyone for you help.
  • Options
    DudleeDudlee Member Posts: 24
    How do you remove the outer trim ring on the Jensen stereo ? I was going to start prying with a screwdriver but don’t want to gouge up the wood or break the bezel .  I have a 2019 320 with the smaller Jensen stereo.
    —  2019 320 S Boondock, 2016 Nissan Frontier, Sonoma County
  • Options
    Use a plastic putty knife. It pops right off.
  • Options
    The are end covers either side of radio, they pop off to expose retaining screws.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Dudlee, I have the same year/model T@B, so I assume we have the same stereo.  The below photo shows what it looks like when the end cover is removed.  If I recall correctly, you pry it off at the small cut-out area between the two mounting screws.  I used one of those small flat edge screwdrivers with a 90-degree angle (the kind you use for tight spots.)  Just stick the screwdriver blade in that area and gently pry the cover toward you.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    DudleeDudlee Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for the photo Bayliss.  I installed the switch in the charger outlet faceplate.

-

—  2019 320 S Boondock, 2016 Nissan Frontier, Sonoma County
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,278
    edited September 2021
    Older thread, but seems like a good place to drop this. The majority of my parasitic drain was coming from my audio/video components. A Jenn Grover video showed me that the power supply for both the radio and television came from the same fuse on my 2020 320S. Rather than put a switch by the radio as others have done, I put one next to the fuse box that cuts power to everything fed by that circuit. Very easy install for anyone interested in cutting power to these systems. Simply cut the wire and crimp connectors to each end and push them onto the switch. Didn't need any additional wire to make the connection. 

The advantage to this method is that it also eliminates the parasitic draw from the television (or anything else you add to the circuit).
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 134
    Great job!
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Dudlee said:
    . . .  installed the switch in the charger outlet faceplate.

Very nice & clean.
    Wish I had thought of that.
    Mine is not so . . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+