Options

EMS vs Surge vs nothing

stevelstevel Member Posts: 6
Just curious who uses an EMS (Energy Management System) rather than a surge protector. Since I use PayPal  quite a bit for purchases I got a $10. off Camping World Figured why not take a look, I'm board. Saw the Progressive EMS which I thought would be a good thing. Their ad  Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30 Amp EMS with Surge Protection, 18"L
(91)Save $118.47 ( 32% Off ) Sale Price$251.52 Regular Price$369.99 I googled it and found that $251. is the going price everywhere. Now I normally don't buy from Camping World just because of things like this but it made me think who uses an EMS and who uses surge and who uses nothing?

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,211
    I have a hardwired Hughes Autoformer Power Watchdog. It’s an EMS. I think they’re cheap insurance in the long run considering what can happen if you had a surge. Plus I like seeing how much power I’m pulling and it came in handy when I was working through some issues with my AC and generator (allows you to see watts/amps in real time). 

I think there are pros and cons of a hardwired vs. plug-in version. Having it hardwired was a win for us since it’s one less thing to have to store and it eliminates theft. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    First time with a camper and we got the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X and a wire bike type lock and feel it is a good insurance too and I like to see the volts / amps from time to time. Not been activated in our first season. If the power pedestal is sloping forwards / a bit loose then a bungee cord can be needed to keep it plugged in as it is a bit of a weight. Or if the pedestal is low then it is sitting in the dirt.
    2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2021
    As the resident contrarian, I fall in the "nothing" camp. On the occasion when I have a shore power hookup (maybe 1/4 - 1/3rd of the time) I do check the polarity and grounding status of the connection with a simple outlet tester. I don't use many sensitive electronics so I'm okay assuming a bit of risk.

Not that I have anything against the use of an EMS or surge protector, I'm just answering the question as asked. I realize it's probably good insurance, particularly for more risk-averse owners, I've just never summoned the motivation to get one.

Hmmm, this might be a good poll question...  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,024
    I actually have been in all three categories.  On my old trailer I used nothing but then again I rarely plugged in to power.  When we got our T@b 400 I got an inexpensive progressive industries surge protector.  Not really doing any research I figured that was fine.   But after thinking about how much we spent on this trailer and what can happen if you or someone else plugs your trailer into 240v I figured  the EMS was worth it. A surge protector does not help against that issue.   I got mine from Home Depot with a gift card I had so it only cost about $200.  Cheap insurance in my opinion.  I now use the surge protector when plugged in at home and the EMS when traveling. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    For a few hundred bucks it's worth the peace of mind for us.  We did the Progressive Industries hardwired option and it's nice to know we're protected.  Like insurance, you don't need it until you do.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
    It depends on how you use your trailer. I only plug mine into shore power a couple of times a year and we don’t really have lightning strikes in Northern California, so I just use a surge protector with a circuit tester. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    My thought on having some kind of an EMS is that you have a trailer worth well north of $20k and spending less than 1 percent of that to safeguard all the electrical devices in it seems like a reasonable one-time expense.
    I wanted the relative ease of use of a hardwired system and went with the PI EMS-LCHW30. Not particularly difficult to install, though in my case it took more time than I expected.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,521
    @stevel - too often campgrounds don’t always maintain their pedestals.  People back over them or run into them and they may never get checked.  You never want to risk a “hot skin” situation.  In addition, surge protectors do not typically protect against low voltage which impacts your A/C and fine electronics.  Go with the EMS.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I failed to mention this word of caution in my previous post but soon after installing my surge unit I purchased a 30 amp extension cord off eBay. When I went to plug it in I received a "reversed neutral" warning from the Power Watchdog. Turns out the extension cord had been wired backwards. My guess is that it would've just tripped the breaker but I'm not an electrician. Could've been worse. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 358
    We went with a hard wired progressive. We camp mostly with hookups. 
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    4th RV and the first one I have used an EMS. I also installed the hard wired Progressive Industries with the remote display. Although we rarely camp with electrical available to us unless it is hot and we need AC, I installed it for peace of mind and because this is the last RV that I plan to own.

Although I have to admit that I have looked at the Black Series (specifically the HQ19), the only thing our 400 BDL doesn't have is heated tanks. Even if I were to pay someone to add the pads and wiring, it wouldn't be a dent in the price difference between the 2 and most importantly the 400 is as close to perfect as can be for our needs. If my wife even heard me mention a different RV, there would likely be a trip to the hospital involved if I survived the beating. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited October 2021
    We installed the hard wired Progressive Dynamics EMS. So far it has activated at two different pedestals, both at state parks. One was at Turtle River in North Dakota and the other in NE Florida (can't remember the name). We use hookups about half of the time we camp.

Edit: Meant to type Progressive Industries EMS, not Dynamics... :o

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 66
    If you go with the installed/hardwired unit like the Progressive Ind EMS-HW30C.  Consider the location of the remote display carefully.  The RED LEDs are very BRIGHT and act as another T@B LED night light.  We now have ours installed in the storage compartment, viewable by opening the exterior storage door. This location makes installing it much easier too.

2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    The Hughes Power Watchdog is Bluetooth so you don’t need a display. Some like that. Some don’t.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 275
    We had our dealer install the Hughes Power Watchdog. Glad we have it for the security, and the Bluetooth app is nice, but it does hum noticeably. It is installed near the head of the bed in our BD 400. I’ve gotten used to it, but it bugged me enough at first that I would get up at night and cut off the shore power.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Binghi said:
    We had our dealer install the Hughes Power Watchdog. Glad we have it for the security, and the Bluetooth app is nice, but it does hum noticeably. It is installed near the head of the bed in our BD 400. I’ve gotten used to it, but it bugged me enough at first that I would get up at night and cut off the shore power.
    We were worried about that as well but typically we have the fan running at night which drowns it out. And the compressor from the fridge running if it’s a warm night.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    I've been in all 3 camps - we started with nothing and don't plug in often but after finding an open ground at one friends house and some low voltage at a campground with a plug in tester, we bought a Progressive industries EMS (external).  It was so big and clunky though that I found I didn't take the time to drag it out.  This spring I installed the hardwired version and like it - nothing to do or think about.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    We are in the hardwired camp.  We have the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30.  It has a built-in display, not the brightly lit LED remote display.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Hardwired Hughes Watchdog - I don't plug in much but for all the reasons to use it above. Blowing out the circuit boards of the converter, Alde or AC is enough to pay for this but not the service call or time waiting for repair. Personally I think the risk of a real issue is low but in only 1 1/2 yrs of ownership I've plugged into a few sketchy places and wasn't at all concerned though it hasn't triggered once.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Another reason to use some kind of EMS is when using a generator that runs out of gas. The sputtering and voltage fluctuations could damage sensitive electronics. I’m not sure if most generators have built in power cutoffs below a certain voltage. For the $170 I paid for our EMS it’s really cheap insurance. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2021
    I’ve traveled both ways, with and without in the13 years I’ve owned the teardrop style trailers.  With my former 2015 T@B I decided to hardwire in the Progressive Industries unit and was very satisfied and comfortable in knowing my trailer was protected and it did ferret out some shaky park equipment on a few trips out west.  I had nuCamp wire in the same unit as part of my 2019 400 build too.  I agree with what Sharon said too, when you plug into campground equipment keep in mind that others before you have backed into these sites, the pedestals are hit by campers, grounds and connections are loosened up and breakers are flipped on and off thousands of times over the years, yet these facilities really are not inspected and are seldom maintained unless a major event takes place requiring immediate repair work.

For me it also meant one less apparatus to plug in at the camp site, it provided peace of mind and was a small price to pay while protecting the more expensive investment I was towing behind my truck.  I’ve been around electricity most of my adult life, have seen some crazy things happen and am of the opinion that if you can build in a safe guard to protect yourself and your equipment it is probably a very worthy investment.  But again, to each his own!  😉
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2021
    I use the progressive EMS-LCHW30. I like that I dont have to remember to bring anything as it is always with the Trailer and it protects all possible electrical issues. It has a Lifetime warranty and is repairable without removing the unit. As for the remote display I installed it just below my plug by my feet with velcro...this way I can remove it and put it near a window so I can see it when I plug to a 30amp pole. And if the light is bugging us i just remove it and leave it under the seat.. 

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    There was a post in one of the FB Tab groups earlier today about a hot skin on a Tab, an EMSbshould prevent that, it would dectect the condition and not power the Tab.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    This being our first season, I started out using no protection but when we started doing less boondocking then expected, I purchased a Progressive Industries surge protector. On our last trip of the season we had a sketchy breaker that concerned me. I'll be installing a hard wired EMS before we start camping next season for total peace of mind and convenience. I'll probably go with a Progressive Industries EMS but the Watchdog is another option I'm looking at.

2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 137
     Did you install a hard wired EMS from Progressive Industries?   If so, how did it go? Thanks.
    Scott
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Hardwired Progressive Industries EMS. Worth its weight in gold especially after an electrician wired our home 30 amp outlet for 220 instead of 110. Phew!
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,521
    Just wanted to share this article regarding “reflected hot skin”.  Apparently an EMS will warn about a hot ground, but it will not disconnect the RV from power, leaving us at risk.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electricity-reflected-hot-skin-voltage-update-rvt-1028/
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Yes, most ground fault detectors will only show or indicate a hot ground, but will not disconnect the load from the source, except for a GFI, which will trip.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks, @Sharon_is_SAM, for that important reminder!  I enjoyed reading that article & also the reminder that a corroded water heater element can be deadly, as it makes me feel even better about installing a protective anode rod in our glycol tank.  I plan to follow the link in that article to do the electrical tests for checking the cable ground & wiring in our T@B.
    Also, I was surprised & disappointed to see the recent facebook quote in that article citing a real world example of a "hot skin" situation that also involved faulty campground electrical ground wiring at Pocahontas State Park.  Please tell me this is not the same one in our county here in Virginia! (And where we spent our very first night in our T@B over 4 years ago.)  I applied to join that group to read more.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods