Options

ARB sale and ARB informatipn

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    gooselady said:
    @gooselady, this will fit what Elsie will be sending you. It will also give you an extra to keep around. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Verna said:
    I don't need a commission. I just know how to make us happy. I was the one who always forgot to get the bag of ice on the way to the campground, and had spoiled food. Now I don't need to remember anything except to plug in the ARB into 12V. 
    Verna - do you plug the ARB into an additional Zamp plug in the battery (so you can still use the solar panel at the same time)? For someone with no wiring experience (zilch), could this be tackled without much difficulty (seeing through the eyes of an inexperienced "electrician"?). Are there instructions posted any where on the site - not only for the Zamp plug but guess one needs the extension as the ARB stays in the vehicle, correct? Thanks.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    gooselady said:
    @gooselady, as long as you are just going to cut the wire in half. This cable is 14 gauge. The photo I showed had 10 gauge wire. I tried 14 gauge wire, 20' long, on my ARB and the ARB wouldn't even turn on. I am unable to find a female plug on Amazon that says what gauge of wire it is, so take your pick of female cigarette lighter plugs. 

Here's something I forgot to mention. I did wire an inline fuse between the battery and the new Zamp connector. I also added one to my Zamp connection because it didn't have one. I think I have a 5V fuse in it. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

Verna - do you plug the ARB into an additional Zamp plug in the battery (so you can still use the solar panel at the same time)? For someone with no wiring experience (zilch), could this be tackled without much difficulty (seeing through the eyes of an inexperienced "electrician"?). Are there instructions posted any where on the site - not only for the Zamp plug but guess one needs the extension as the ARB stays in the vehicle, correct? Thanks.
    @mickietucs, red goes to the + or positive side of the battery and the black goes to the - or negative side of the battery, for each of these parts I've pictured. I keep the cigarette lighter plug end inside the truck with the ARB 12V plug, plugged into it. I then take the rest of the cable out the window to the extra Zamp port on the tub or on the battery. As long as you keep the colors straight, you 'll be fine. You will need 10 gauge splicers ( normally yellow) from your local auto parts store, the crimper tool to crimp the splicers and some electrical tape to the cover your splices. Auto Zone has always been great to ask questions of the workers when in doubt. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Verna, I plan on using the ARB extra cable line and just using the connectors on the Amazon link.  The trolling motor plug is just an SAE plug, right?  Thanks for the info on the splicers.  I have no experience with this.
  • Options
    gooselady said:
    Verna, I plan on using the ARB extra cable line and just using the connectors on the Amazon link.  The trolling motor plug is just an SAE plug, right?  Thanks for the info on the splicers.  I have no experience with this.
    @gooselady, yes, it is a SAE plug, but make sure it is the flat one. I noticed Gander Mountain had some that were rounded and may not fit into the Zamp plug on the tub (which will be just like the extra one you will get from Elsie).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    The ones from above links are flat.  Yes, I noticed the round ones, too.  Easy to confuse.
  • Options
    My ARB came in today.  Still waiting on the cover and wiring harness.  The guys at OK4 WD are great to work with, BTW.  And Elsie at PV, as well.  The extra Zamp connector was shipped promptly, along with the bed slats I ordered along with it.

What a beautiful piece of equipment the ARB is!  Can't wait to get it in use.  Quick question:. The unit has a setting for CH1 - 4.  no clue what that is, and no reference in the manual.

Thanks, Sam, for the push to purchase.  Verna, I may need your help with the wiring project, and I'm quite nervous to drill a hole into my tub.  Doni gave to pre-drill the holes for the screws?
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    Good quality DC fridges like National Luna, Engel, & ARB can be expensive.  A lower cost alternative is the Indel B.  A couple of guys in our local offroad group have the Indel B and are happy with it.

http://www.equipt1.com/i/fridges/indel-b  (no affiliation) - just one of many vendors.

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    My 50qt came today. I didn't get the two free items, for those of you that called OK4 WD are the accessories on backorder? I have not opened the box but I assumed they were not shipped inside the unit. One thing I know for sure is the box and possibly the unit is larger than I expected. The box is huge! 
  • Options
    The monitor was inside the fridge.  The cover is on backorder, and will ship directly from ARB. The wiring harness is coming from ARB as well, but I asked them to ship it separately now, as it is in stock.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2016
    I think the slide and straps (37qt) are on backorder too. Those items haven't arrived yet. Will call them again soon.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    source3 said:
    Good quality DC fridges like National Luna, Engel, & ARB can be expensive.  A lower cost alternative is the Indel B.  A couple of guys in our local offroad group have the Indel B and are happy with it.

http://www.equipt1.com/i/fridges/indel-b  (no affiliation) - just one of many vendors.

Do you know what the draw would be to the 12v system compared to an ARB?

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    source3 said:

Do you know what the draw would be to the 12v system compared to an ARB?
    I have not looked at the spec sheet. 
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    mickietucs, Go to the web site source3 posted here, there are spec sheets along with comparisons there I believe.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The Intel B is certainly value priced, but the first thing I noticed was the poorer quality lid, attached by a small plastic thread.  And no interior lamp.  I'm sure there are other differences, but the Intel is certainly an option for those not wanting to reach up to an ARB.
  • Options
    It looks very similar to the ARB.  I read in one thread that the ARB, Engel, and Indel b were once made by Mobicool.  They all have the Danfoss compressor.  Not sure about history of Indel, but if duration info is good, I think it would offer another option.
  • Options
    My monitor was also inside the unit. Just waiting on the cover and wiring harness to ship
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    gooselady said:
    The Intel B is certainly value priced, but the first thing I noticed was the poorer quality lid, attached by a small plastic thread.  And no interior lamp.  I'm sure there are other differences, but the Intel is certainly an option for those not wanting to reach up to an ARB.

There is a light and the thread is not how it is attached; it has a hinge, like the ARB.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gooselady said:
    My ARB came in today.  Still waiting on the cover and wiring harness.  The guys at OK4 WD are great to work with, BTW.  And Elsie at PV, as well.  The extra Zamp connector was shipped promptly, along with the bed slats I ordered along with it.

What a beautiful piece of equipment the ARB is!  Can't wait to get it in use.  Quick question:. The unit has a setting for CH1 - 4.  no clue what that is, and no reference in the manual.

Thanks, Sam, for the push to purchase.  Verna, I may need your help with the wiring project, and I'm quite nervous to drill a hole into my tub.  Doni gave to pre-drill the holes for the screws?
    Per hubby, you can monitor up to 4 separate friges using the Channel 1 - 4.  You identify each frig with a designated channel setting.  
  • Options
    Has anyone added a 12v socket to a truck bed?  I want to run the ARB near the tailgate.  Should I DIY using the ARB wiring kit, or have it added by a hitch installer?  I think I would need to specify the 6mm double insulated wire, correct?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @gooselady, my bed cap came with a 3-socket 12V outlet (I ordered it that way - it was an option). It is wired straight to the battery and is fused (wiring is hidden in the headliner of the bed cap). The wiring is 10 gauge. Keep in mind that the wiring and 12v sockets are inside the truck cap and are also water resistant. I'm not sure what housing you'd use to keep the water out of the sockets if you don't have a cover over your truck bed. 

Having a 12V socket in the bed is so handy!! Especially when the tires need a little air in the camper and truck and I need to use the 12V air compressor. The silly 12V in the truck turns off when the truck turns off. These in the bed cap stay on. I need a "Jenn" spreadsheet to calculate how long the ARB can run on a standard truck battery before the truck won't crank. I have a spare group 24 battery I can put in the bed and rig to run the ARB and solar charge it if I set up with a suitcase solar set up that has a built-in controller (separate from the T@B set up). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2016
    Ratkity said:
    @gooselady, my bed cap came with a 3-socket 12V outlet (I ordered it that way - it was an option). It is wired straight to the battery and is fused (wiring is hidden in the headliner of the bed cap). The wiring is 10 gauge. Keep in mind that the wiring and 12v sockets are inside the truck cap and are also water resistant. I'm not sure what housing you'd use to keep the water out of the sockets if you don't have a cover over your truck bed. 
    You can easily find one at a boat supply place like West Marine and the then...there's Amazon. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
  • Options
    gooselady said:
    Find what, Jen?
    The waterproof 12V socket for the bed of your truck. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    gooselady said:
    Find what, Jen?
    The waterproof 12V socket for the bed of your truck. 
    They have to make em. What do boats use? It's not like you're going to use it if the boat is sinking and immersed in water. You just want one that has a decent cover and seal, right?
  • Options
    There is a local hitch place that does them, directly wired to the battery, do it is live all the time.  It will be placed in the truck bed, under the tonneau cover. @Ratkity, why did you go for a 3 way, instead of a single?