Options

Changing a tire on the 2017 Outback and other stuff

Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
edited April 2017 in Tips & Tricks
In preparation of receiving my 2017 Outback I have been reading a bunch of stuff from three or four sources; this forum, the T@B owners manual, teardrop shop and nucamp rv.  It has occurred to me that I have yet to learn if the Outback comes with a jack to remove a flat tire.  As well there is no clear direction ( that I could see) where to place the jack to support the trailer.  Perhaps it's clearly indicated on the trailer itself that I have yet to see.

It has also occurred to me that I may need other stuff that I had not considered such as a portable waste tank.  Is this true? Will I need to get a portable waste tank?  Is there anything else that will be mandatory other than security ( chocks etc)  that is not included? 

I'd like to prepare for my pickup date. Storage of all hoses is certainly another thing that I'm thinking of.   Where do you store the sewer hose as well as the others?  Are these in your TV?

Rookie questions I'm sure so thanks in advance for your response.

Bill
2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

Comments

• Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I store my sewer hose in a plastic tote..... Throw it in back of my truck...When not in use it's in my storage shed.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Hi Bill, welcome to the group! We had our dealer walk through last weekend and he did address the jack and spare issue. What he said is that they (?NuCamp?) doesn't want us to change flats, they want someone who does it for a living to do it. That's why it is the way it is. Not all that logic makes sense to me, especially if you were out in the middle of nowhere and had a flat. That's just what he said. I know from reading these boards that you do not want to put the jack where you would if it were a car because of the framing. Not sure qhere, though.

My plan for the hose is to buy a 60 inch piece of 4 inch black pvc pipe, one cap end to be glued on and one removable end, and some metal strap thingy's to attach it to the tongue. Then I will drill some ventilation holes along one side ( now known as the bottom) and I'm good to go. Others have done this mod, although you can just buy it all done for you, for more. One piece of advice from others is to be sure the tube is empty before you drill. Seems some have aerated their rhino hoses, not a good thing!

Have fun with your new Outback! We bring our MaxS home Friday afternoon!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've had two flats and have had the bearings greased (pic) and they've all put the jacks under the back corners of the frame. In all the cases I remained hooked up while they did their thing.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2017
    @Homebodyatheart, if you do have a "professional tire changer" make sure they know they cannot put the jack under the axle (read @db_cooper 's post after yours for the warning). The one time I had AAA out to change a flat, he fully intended to use the axle because it is easier for them. I stood my ground and explained under no circumstances was he going to put a jack under my axle. He placed his jack under the frame as I requested. 

Put the jack under the trailer frame either right in front of the tire or right behind it, if you are unable to use the factory's preferred method of using the rear stabilizers. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna! I remember reading about it but couldn't remember the correct spots to place the jacks.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    Great feedback.  Thanks folks.  OK so I have not missed something, there is no direction in the manual for changing the tire, and I surmise the trailer doesn't come with a jack.  This surprises me.  If you are towing a trailer you should know how to change a flat tire.  To leave this basic emergency procedure to a "pro" is not adequate in my opinion. Especially for the off road Outback where the Professional may well be inaccessible.  Suppose I'll have to study the picture PXLated provided and carefully look at my unit to be sure I'm prepared. 

With regard to the hoses, yes Homebodyatheart, that was my plan also.  I thought I'd buy enough PVC pipe of appropriate diameter to contain separately all the different hoses.  I had planned to just tie them to the bed of the truck but I like your idea much better, to attach them to the tongue.  I visualize four of them stacked together and attached in front of the propane/battery box and behind the tongue jack.  Gluing one end and putting a screw in to secure the other end.  I like the idea of holes drilled in the PVC pipe to allow the hoses to breath.  Did not think of that.  
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    edited April 2017
    The method of using the tongue/stabilizers works well.  If I can do it ( in a controlled driveway experiment, of course) anyone can do it.  I copied and pasted ChanW's response from this thread:
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1799/can-the-stabilizers-safely-support-the-weight-of-the-t-b-for-a-short-time/p1

My new manual does not include this description, but apparently the older manuals did. 

ChanW

June 2016

edited June 2016

If you can change a car tire, you can change

a Tab tire, whether you're male or female doesn't seem to matter. Place

the jack in the right spot, like you'd need to on a car, and you'll be

fine.
    The difficult part is wrestling the dang spare off the bottom of the Tab, if that's where you store it. 
    I'm a 'boy' and I haven't found any kind of easy way to do that, so I moved ours up to the tongue.

I also will (carefully) use the stabilizers to lift the flat tire, and not bother with a jack. YMMV
    Edit: as Bob explains below, you should not crank on the stabilizers to actually lift the Tab, 

The LG manual describes the lifting procedure something like the following:
    Block both of the Tab's wheels so they can't roll
    • Slightly loosen the lug nuts on the wheel that needs to be removed
    • Unhook the trailer from the TV
    • Lower the tongue of the Tab as far as it will go
    • Crank the rear stabilizers down to the ground
    • Use the tongue jack to lift the Tab's wheels off the ground
    • Remove and replace the tire
    • Lower the tongue jack and replace the tire blocks to keep the Tab from rolling
    • Lower the tongue the rest of the way and raise the rear stabilizers
    • Tighten the lug nuts to the correct torque.
    I've used this method a number of times, and it works well. And quickly.

Messing with a jack under the frame is much more difficult, IMHO.

Of course, If you're stuck on a busy highway without enough space to feel

comfortable doing all that, call for help!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    If there's not a professional handy (oh AAA where is ya), I'd probably get out my Jeeps jack or do the stabilizer method. Of course, I moved the spare to the tongue so I don't have to fuss with that disaster just waiting to happen :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    As an Outback with the rack on the back, keep in mind that it's a wee high for me to reach and I'm 5'6". A small adjustable step will help your back and reach to untwist the spare tire holder from the basket. Lifting a 40 lb tire off the basket isn't that hard, it's putting it up that's a pita if you don't have 2 people to hold it up while you align the tire holder to the basket. BTW, I don't think the front bins allow you to put the tire on the front (but folks here are so innovative, someone probably has done it). That way you can use the basket for other things under the 70 lb weight limit for it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I don't need a "professional" to break my stuff. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I do carry an 8 ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight. It held up the Silver Shadow through changing a temporary tire to changing to new tires one at time as I took each of them to be balanced. (Probably the hard way, but it's a long story and the SS did not have to stand on the jack overnight.). It should handle the T@B, but AAA+RV is my first choice. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited April 2017
    Homebodyatheart, Hmmm...interesting that you got the advise you received from the dealer (since we use the same one) about changing a tire. We were told when we did our walk-through about the method of the front tongue jack, and rear stabilizers, or using the frame behind the tire with a jack. I ordered a spare tire holder to install on the tongue frame for our spare as I know if I get under that trailer to remove the spare on the road, 'ya might see Liz grabbing my ankles to pull me back out again. :s The gettin' down there part is easy, the gettin' back out part, not so much!
    All this makes me ponder the Dalehelman mod of the rear scissor jacks to replace the stabilizers. Would certainly kill 2 birds with one stone for not only leveling, but being able to change a flat as well. One of the things I plan to discuss with him at our breakfast meeting Saturday to see how this mod has worked for him so far.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Eric, that mod is on my list, too, along with moving the spare.

• Options
    Ha...and HOW many others? =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    My Dad is saving me some bottle jacks from some of the big old clunkers he used to drive. I just have to get down to NC to get them! I seem to be emptying out excess items in his garage for him lately lol. I do miss my old floor jack I'd use on the Mustang. Those retreads on that monster were always shredding. I got so I could change a tire in less than 15 min. Had I known, I'd have joined a pit crew!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

PXLated said:

I've had two flats and have had the bearings greased (pic) and they've all put the jacks under the back corners of the frame. In all the cases I remained hooked up while they did their thing.

Don't just expect those tire guys to know that they cannot place a jack under the axel like most other travel trailers. They don't always send their most experienced man to do a tire change. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Did you notice? No rear-end crack :wink:
  • Options
    Dale - True, always supervise :-)
    Ratkity - He's a professional
  • Options

Ratkity said:

Did you notice? No rear-end crack :wink:

Not a plumber
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Well, he is also a plumber - Same guy that fixed my broken gray water dump valve :-)
  • Options

PXLated said:

Well, he is also a plumber - Same guy that fixed my broken gray water dump valve :-)

He's a plumber who cares how he looks to the public....especially those taking photos from behind him ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    j_ntabownersj_ntabowners Member Posts: 133

@Homebodyatheart- "My plan for the hose is to buy a 60 inch piece of 4 inch black pvc pipe, one cap end to be glued on and one removable end, and some metal strap thingy's to attach it to the tongue. Then I will drill some ventilation holes along one side ( now known as the bottom) and I'm good to go. Others have done this mod, although you can just buy it all done for you, for more. One piece of advice from others is to be sure the tube is empty before you drill. Seems some have aerated their rhino hoses, not a good thing!' 

Does that metal strap 'thingy's' have a part number =)

Jim & Nadine 2015 T@b Max S pulled by 2016 KIA Sorento - East Wenatchee, Wa

States Visited Map

• Options
    @j_ntabowners, It's in the "thingy department" at Home Depot. Just ask my wife Liz, she works there. She must know where it is because she's mentioned those "thingy's" to me several times.
    Now, if it were my guess about the metal strap "thingy's" ( as I've gone down this road before ), I would have to go with something like a drier vent hose clamp. Like I said, just a guess. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Geeze guys! Going to be a long weekend in May if you keep this up! I need to hang out with Liz and Nadine more... :-) BTW, metal thingy's are kept in the same drawer with the doojamahickies, right next to the whatchamacallit's. Geesh! Men! :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @Homebodyatheart, Funny you should mention those departments as well, but 'ya forgot about the thingamajigs! ( whole separate department right next to the doodads, and hootchamadingers )  =) By the way, nobody EVER told us "men" when you get attached in one way or another with the opposite gender a whole new language with it's own dictionary was a requirement. :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Eric...ooops! Surprise! Hahahaha! By the way, that issue can be solved with the two simple words many "women" love to hear..."Yes, dear!" 
  • Options
    :lol:

• Options
    edited April 2017
     Yes, dear.  =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    @homebodyatheart: I thought the words were "I'm sorry. It was MY fault".
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150