Single Black & Gray Water Drain Setup

Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
edited September 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
I have not had a chance to post this until now, a few people saw this while I was at Tearstock this year. I did have the guys for PV look at it and sent pictures to Marvin. Lets hope this is something they can incorporate into the new 2017 "S" model. I know this has been done before and done well, I was just looking for a way to raise the gray water drain line to get more clearance. Before I started the bottom of my gray water drain was 6" off the ground with the trailer setting level in my garage, by doing it like this I was able to gain 1-1/4" of clearance. Now the low point is 7-1/4" off the ground and now has a single drain outlet. Take a look and let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• WildRumpusWildRumpus Member Posts: 42
    Love it! It sure would make it more convenient when you're using full hook ups. It's kind of a pain to switch the hose back and forth from grey to black. The added clearance is a welcome bonus!

Gainesville, FL
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241

@Pop-T@B, I'll bring mine right over. Very cool! So you installed a Y fitting onto the black and stubbed the gray into the open part of the Y?

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Pop-T@B, looks really good [as do all your inventive solutions], sure would make it easier as WidRumpus stated less to hook-up and un-hook! Great solution!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2016
    Awesome!  I've been looking for a solution to get a bit more clearance & easier access.  Can you share what parts you used & where you bought them from.  Or just give me your address & a good time for me to drop it off for you to do mine.  Great work man!
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Can't wait for the weather to cool down enough to do this mod.  Another great idea from Pop-T@B!  My only change will be to have the gray water drain handle point forward because of the Outback platform being in the way.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2016

It is a long post as usual, but here it is. I would only recommend doing this if you have good understanding of plumbing, it is not real hard, but it helps if you know plumbing.

I ordered these parts from www.rveparts.com    1- T1006-1 RV sewer- fit valve spigot 11/2” 1- T1041-1 RV sewer- Holding tank offset reducer 11/2” 1-T1029-1 RV sewer- Termination adapter 3” Spig. The parts listed below I picked up at the local big box lumber yard 1- 11/2” ABS 60® elbow 1-11/2" ABS 22.5 ® degree elbow 1- long sweep sanitary 3” tee 1- 11/2” rubber coupling with hose clamps 4’ of 11/2” ABS pipe ABS glue and primer Here is how I started If you look at the 3” hose adaptor LG uses for the drain connection it has the 11/2” pipe going into the center of the 3” reducing hub bushing and this rests against the frame of the trailer making the fitting hang down, now look at the 11/2” drain pipe as it comes out of the gray water tank and you will see they used a T1041-1 offset reducer. To start, drain your gray water tank, take off the pipe strap holding the drain pipe, then cut the 11/2” drain pipe coming out of the gray water tank about half way back. Take apart the 11/2” drain valve and remove the old 3” slinky hose side. Take the new seals if you have them, put it on the new T1006-1 fitting and bolt the valve back together. You now should have the 11/2” gray water valve with a new fitting on one side and the 11/2” pipe on the other side.             Now on the black water drain fitting, you will need to grind or file off the 4 little nubs that the slinking hose locking ring fits onto, this will allow you to slip the long sweep sanitary 3” tee onto the black water drain pipe. Dry fit everything first, do not glue or prime anything until you are happy with the fitment. Slip the long sweep sanitary 3” tee onto the black water pipe and angle the drain end down slightly, Insert the T1041-1 RV sewer- Holding tank offset reducer into the back of the long sweep sanitary 3” tee. You will align the offset reducer so the 11/2” fitting is on the bottom side of the tee and the bulk of the 3” fitting is on the top, just like it is coming out of the gray water tank. Take the gray water valve and Insert the side with the new T1006-1 fitting into the T1041-1 offset reducer, position the gray water valve so the gray water valve handle clears the frame rail when you open and close it. On my T@B I had to face the valve facing the rear due to the angle of the black water drain pipe, you may be able to have your valve face forward depending on the angle of your black water drain. I was not willing to risk adjusting the angle of the black water drain for the fear of creating a leak. You should now have the long sweep sanitary 3” tee dry fitted to the black water drain, the offset reducer installed in the back of the sweep tee with the gray water valve installed into it and the valve handle should open and close without hitting the outside of frame rail. Now for the tricky part, Take the 60® elbow and the 22.5® elbow and fit them together. This part will be trial and error, you will need to mark and cut the 11/2” pipe coming out of the back side of the gray water valve and cut it so the elbow lines up with the 11/2” pipe coming from the gray water tank. You may not be able to get it to line up exactly, but you can get it close enough to make it work just fine. Once you get it to line up then cut a short piece of pipe to fit between the elbow and the line coming out to the gray water tank. This is where you will use a 11/2” rubber coupling with hose clamps to make the final connection to the gray water pipe coming from the tank. Once you are happy with how it all fits, take a marker and put alignment marks across all of your fittings that you need to glue before you take it apart, this is so you can line them back up when you primer and glue them. now prime and glue your fittings together, make sure you put about ½” of fall in the long sweep sanitary 3” tee when you are gluing it onto the black water drain. You will need to work quickly to get everything glued and lined up before it dries completely. Once you have it glued up and the gray water drain hooked up, glue the T1029-1 fitting into the drain outlet side of the long sweep sanitary 3” tee, make sure to align the sewer locking lugs so they are level up and down and side to side. Then restrap the 11/2” gray water drain pipe with about a ¼” of clearance to the bottom of the frame rail.  Test for leaks and you should be go to go. Or if you are coming thru Ohio stop by and we can see about getting it done :-)

=) Sounds like a good idea!
    Mike,  Thank you for the "Hats off". I have had a lot of fun using and modifying my T@B and I am glad to help anyone I can doing the same to theirs.
    Pop-TAB is the master of mods! Well deserved award!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Pop-Tab that front sewer storage was the best thing I ever did to my T@B, Thanks Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge

Thanks, Art glad you like it. It's nice to get some good feed back on them.

ericnliz, I don't know about the master, I just get lucky once in a while and things seem to work out ok. :-)

• TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    I'm not sure this has been mentioned here on the forum (so many posts to look back on!) but Popt@b won the "Jim Harvey" award for the best trailer mods at the rally and it was way cool because as you all well know, he definitely is very deserving of the award for his innovations and mods to his trailer and in helping others out in need of help.  That's what this forum is all about and my hat is off to "The Man" for his neat ideas that save space and are extremely helpful to all!  
    Congratulations @Pop-T@B :bow: Well deserved. We also love the front storage solution.
    BTW, we really really want to do this mod - the single black/gray drain. We've been scratching our heads at the dual drains from day one when we picked up the trailer. I think I have the basic plumbing skills to get the joints glue right etc. but as many times as I look at the pictures I can't make heads or tails of the parts. If at some point you feel like drawing and publishing a diagram - kind of a "viewed from above" layout showing before and after with reference arrows etc. that would just be the bee's knees.

Thank you Shawn! The time and energy you have devoted to this is amazing :) My confidence level is higher now than it was - I think I'm going to give it a go.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited July 2016
    Nice job, Shawn! More clearance would really be nice.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for sharing! Looks like I'll have a new project when this heat wave is over.  Great work Shawn!!
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Dang! Where in my list of 'to-do' does this project fit? (Thanks Pop-T@B) B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We did a similar mod, but since I could not find a lot of the parts listed (the big sweeper Tee does not exist at our hardware stores) and some of the valve parts were not available at the local RV dealer .So I just cut the nubs off both outlets and used a compact tee and 2 elbows(22 1/2 degrees). And about 20" of 3" abs pipe in total and a lot of trial fitting without glue. If you look close at the picture you can see where I added a rubber cushion and some ty wraps to take the bounce out of the now heavier assembly. The only item I needed to get from the RV dealer was the new outlet fitting .
    And yes the tee is backwards. It fit better that way and looking inside it will not result in a flow restriction. And the grey water valve can be completely opened without interference. This is going to work so much better.   
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2017
    I just saw this piece mounted on trailers at the factory recently and am curious as to whether anyone here has installed one yet?   They are a bit spendy, going for around $40 right now on eTrailer.   I'm tempted to try one out but thought I'd toss it out for discussion, get some thoughts and insight on installing one to ensure proper clearance and adaptation to the T@B units.  

And yeah I know, no guts, no glory!    =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Funny this one came up again today! This afternoon, I'm heading to pick up the WolfT@B from the dealer. (hot water issue fixed!  Bad mixing valve.) I'm stopping by the @Dalehelman mod shop to get my single black & gray drain installed!  :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Seems doable, but you'd have to be a pretty good pipe fitter as I suspect the existing stubs will not line up at perfect right angles.

My first impression is that I would install this as far back on the existing black water stub as possible, then cut the existing gray water drain and install an elbow to tie it in from the side. Not sure of the clearances, though--I suspect you would have to drop everything down to clear the frame, possibly creating other problems.

It's a nice simple compact unit though--well worth $40 bucks if it actually fit so it wouldn't be in the way or get busted off. I'm gonna' give this some more thought. Thanks for the tip, Michigan_Mike--let us know how it turns out if you decide to take the pioneering plunge!
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2023
    I bought everything on Dale's list and it went together fine.  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/56613#Comment_56613

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @Verna, @Homebodyatheart has an appointment at the @Dalehelman mod shop right after mine today! It's a T@B MOD D@Y! Thanks Dale! Might even turn in to a mini SpoT@B meeting.....hands on! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

edited April 2017

ScottG said:

Seems doable, but you'd have to be a pretty good pipe fitter as I suspect the existing stubs will not line up at perfect right angles.

My first impression is that I would install this as far back on the existing black water stub as possible, then cut the existing gray water drain and install an elbow to tie it in from the side. Not sure of the clearances, though--I suspect you would have to drop everything down to clear the frame, possibly creating other problems.

It's a nice simple compact unit though--well worth $40 bucks if it actually fit so it wouldn't be in the way or get busted off. I'm gonna' give this some more thought. Thanks for the tip, Michigan_Mike--let us know how it turns out if you decide to take the pioneering plunge!

I agree with your assessment above, hence am a little leery of just snagging one and trying to install it.  I might call Marvin down at the factory and ask him his opinion on the install and see what he thinks.  Austin hadn't done the conversion yet but did express interest and say that he needs to look into it further as it is a conversation that does come up now more often than not.  Joe Mullet likes their new mod on the new trailers, but wanted the install to be cleaner looking (he mentioned this along the line on Wednesday) and more precise.  I'm glad he knew what he was looking at (or desired) because it certainly looked very cleaan and awesome to me!   =):o

The valve above waste valve setup is a Valterra T68C Model and is listed at eTrailer.com.
    @Michigan_Mike, I'll ask Dale his opinion on the Valtera model when I see him today. @Pop-T@B, Any thoughts , or input on this one? Might as well get the "Mod Masters' " opinion, the more, the merrier.
    Spokane, Wa.

ericnliz said:

@Michigan_Mike, I'll ask Dale his opinion on the Valtera model when I see him today. @Pop-T@B, Any thoughts , or input on this one? Might as well get the "Mod Masters' " opinion, the more, the merrier.

Excellent!   I'm not one to just take off and start cutting existing fixtures out without first getting some input and feedback from others prior to attempting this particular mod.  Especially with fixed components that are working properly and in place.  This is a great mod for the trailer and makes this chore simple.  I like the positioning of the handles on the T68C part and am leaning toward installing one as time permits.  
    Just be careful how far 'ya lean................ouch....see! :s
    Spokane, Wa.