Options

Reliable source for Alde fuses

I'm always leery of buying electronic components from big box online merchants - I'm sure you know who I mean - so I ordered a supply of spare Alde fuses from Digikey, a reputable component distributor.

Here is the Digikey part number: 
F1731-ND 
FUSE GLASS 3.15A 250VAC 5X20MM
I verified that the markings on the fuses were identical to the two spare fuses that came with the Alde.

While I was there I ordered a few of the 40A reverse battery voltage fuses since I haven't seen them in auto parts stores:
F5952-ND 
FUSE AUTO 40A 32VDC BLADE

Ordered on Thursday, had 'em on Saturday.

I have no connection with Digikey other than having ordered stuff from them for years.
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Do you think they'd have the Nircold fuses?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited July 2016
    OutbackAZ said:
    Do you think they'd have the Nircold fuses?
    If you can give me the exact markings on the fuses I'll check. Their search system is a bit difficult if you don't have some electronics knowledge.

• Options
    I'll have to raise the stove to get at them.  Will try to do this afternoon.
  • Options
    Let's see if someone else has spares to look at first...

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    OutbackAZ Why not call or e-mail Ed or Elsie at the Factory to see if they can give you the numbers since I am sure they have some of the Norcolds in stock before they go into the unites. Just a thought for saving you have to take the stove up. John
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    When we get them perhaps John or  Henrietta, could add them to the fuse list above. I added there info into our One Note program on our PC and iPad and iPhone John
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    I have the Norcold part numbers from Jenn.  Those numbers would probably not help Photomom.
  • Options
    SaskTabbySaskTabby Member Posts: 19
    I've had two of the "hidden" Alde fuses blow in just a few months.  Thankfully the factory provided four spares in a little plastic bag attached to the Alde.  Still, I was worried about running out so I went ahead and ordered the fuses listed at the start of this thread.  Digikey was amazing; I think I received them within 36 hours of ordering.

Anyways, now I notice that the spare Alde fuses provided from the factory are labelled with a "T" in front of the 3.15.  As I understand it, this means they are SLOW blowing fuses and not the FAST ones.  However I think the fuses installed in the Alde from the factory were fast.

Can anyone shed any light on why they might have provided slow spares and which indeed is the correct fuse?    In the meantime I am pretty sure that using the fast fuses from digikey is acceptable as, if anything, fast fuses should be safer for the Alde than slow.

• Options
    razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
    Any final commentary on slow versus fast fuses?

My boiler has blown 2 fuses (both fast) including one being the spare left (I only had one).

In another forum I noticed the Alde UK contributor recommending using slow cause it was more reliable with unstable currents; also another stating your good to 5A.

"[Alde UK] Hello. The two electrical fuses in the top of the 3010 Compact boiler are on the 12 V side, they are 3.15 A 20 mm glass fuses. We recommend T-type (time delay/slow blow) fuses, as they're more tolerant of unstable current."

"We recommend _not_ exceeding a 5 A F-type glass fuse. Within this range,
    the boiler's electronics will still be protected.
    Alde UK Team"

I called Alde US and asked for some fuses and they are sending me some so will see if they are fast or slow.

I order 100 from eBay for $3 but takes about 4-6weeks from China.  I also picked some up from local electronics store $.60 for 2 fast; $1 for 2 slow; $0.60 for 2 fast 5A.

I think now I have plenty to spare but would just like not to have to unscrew the seat panel and replace the spare.

I send request to Alde UK if they recommend fast or slow but no response yet.

If anyone has replaced with Fast ones blown with Slow did it have any adverse affects (blown electronics) or did it make it more stable? Or no difference?
  • Options
    HappyCamperHappyCamper Member Posts: 29
    Hey!  How did you determine the blown fuses when in the Alde?  Methodology?  Many thanks
  • Options
    The display wouldn't come on.  I checked the breaker and fuse in the converter and they were fine.  I opened the Alde service panel and pulled out the fuses.

I just checked what was the easiest to get to first :)
  • Options
    My Alde has two fuses with different markings (see "Fuses for Newbies").
  • Options
    OutbackAZ this is perfect as the fuse I keep blowing is the left which in your case is the T type (time delay/slow blow).  Next time I replace it I go with slow blow.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    "My Alde has two fuses with different markings (see "Fuses for Newbies")."

I thought they were both the same.  I looked at mine and they are both the fast type.  Is the concensus - slow blow?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    What do most people think of the fuses that light when blown?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @TerryV6, Personally, I'd go with what the Alde manual calls for with the one slow burn fuse. There is obviously a reason they configured it that way. Just my humble opinion.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    After much discussion, I believe we all came to the conclusion that both Alde fuses are identical.  I know when my spares came in from Elsie, they were the same.
  • Options
    @Tabaz , Fast burn, or the slow burn? Just curious! :)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Tabaz said:
    After much discussion, I believe we all came to the conclusion that both Alde fuses are identical.  I know when my spares came in from Elsie, they were the same.
    When did you get them? Both the spare Alde fuses were fast blow that came with my T@B built in March 2016, but I've since been told that trailers are shipping with at least one slow blow fuse. I wish we could get an authoritative answer about this.

@razntwn did you ever get your spare fuses from Alde? What type were they? 
  • Options
    @Photomom, I'm right there with you! Would be good to know what the proper "fitment" is.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Other than the 3.15A rating, I can't find any fuse specifics in either the user or service manuals for the Alde. Eric, where did you see that info?

I had previously ordered fast-blow fuses to have on hand as spares. It was a while ago, so I can't remember how/why I made that choice. Since I was dubbing around in the T@B, anyway, this thread inspired me to do a little fact checking on the fuses themselves...

The two original fuses installed in my Alde are both marked F3.15AL250V. The F designates these as fast blow.

However, the two spares that came attached to the unit in a bag with an Alde label and part number are both marked T3.15AL250V. The T designates these as slow blow.

So, both fuses are the same, but the factory spares are not the same as the originals. This seems consistent with what SaskTabby noted a year ago. You're on your own to figure out what that means, if anything!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    A slow blow fuse is used when a device might briefly draw more current when it powers on so I can see how it might address the issue of fuses blowing. But the engineers who designed the Alde should have understood the characteristics of their circuit and specified the appropriate fuses. That's what bothers me.
  • Options
    Sometimes, the more you read, the unclear you get.  I have fast blow as spares.  I'm going to order slow blows now.  I'm checking into the lighted fuses for the box.  Not better... It just appeals to me...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    Sometimes, the more you read, the unclear you get.  I have fast blow as spares.  I'm going to order slow blows now.  I'm checking into the lighted fuses for the box.  Not better... It just appeals to me...
    I bought lighted fuses for the converter and then realized that the converter (at least the one I have) already has blown fuse indicators.
  • Options
    Okay then...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I vaguely remember one person had ONE fuse a fast blow and ONE a slow blow fuse in their Alde. The fast blow kept going out, so the owner replaced it with a slow blow. No more problems after that. 

My theory was that people may be accidentally leaving on the manual Alde thermostat. Then they plug the camper into the campground power pole, causing a brief surge. I found several holes in that theory, however. Some folks had surge protectors (good ones). Others weren't even on 110V power and the thermostat was off. 

Sorry, no answers here. I'm as flummoxed as you all! :confused:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @ScottG, "[Alde UK] Hello. The two electrical fuses in the top of the 3010 Compact boiler are on the 12 V side, they are 3.15 A 20 mm glass fuses. We recommend T-type (time delay/slow blow) fuses, as they're more tolerant of unstable current." above post from @razntwn, dated August 2016.
    I'm still kind of stumped here, but that post does make sense to me.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I googled and found that quote on a U.K. Caravan forum from _2013_.  If this was known then why are fast blow fuses coming in our new Alde?
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    Same questions here. Still blowing fuses. When I get home from this trip I will be ordering slow blow fuses.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Photomom said:
    I googled and found that quote on a U.K. Caravan forum from _2013_.  If this was known then why are fast blow fuses coming in our new Alde?
    No clue @Photomom. No clue.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)