What do you consider to be your "Most Valuable" trailer mod?

Comments

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Roamey said:
    Switch to shut radio completely off when
     on battery. 

Wiring behind radio. Not much there because I don't have the entertainment center. 

Switch spliced in with twist caps. 

Push button switch in adjacent cupboard. 

Radio on. 

Radio off, almost. 

Radio off off. 

Doesn't the + and - switches to the left of clock readout adjust the brightness including turning it completely black?
    Thank you for the info.  If no otehr way to shut that devil blue light off, I will do this for sure! 

And on the first week I got the TD, I have been so busy making the mod for the draw bar, that I did not have the time to read the instructions on the trailer before our first trip.  Still did not had the time to make the brake controler connection for the jeep.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    Thank you to all who specified that yes, venting holes need to be made for propane.  In time, I wll definetly look into that to replace my aluminium cheker plate round box on my T@G outback.

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243

My favorite change is adding this slide out stainless rack under the sink. Works great for pots, pans, dishes!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Dalehelman, I was wondering the same thing about the stereo, and the +/- switch for the light. I'm thinking these folks want to completely shut off the stereo to avoid any phantom draws. I simply just dim mine, and un-plug the television as that's the one that REALLY bugs me! :o:s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Yes, trying to eliminate unwanted drain of battery 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • JannonJannon Member Posts: 50
    I'm picking up my T@B CS-S his Saturday... VERY EXCITED!  Will definitely do this mod... may i ask is it simply splicing into the power wire (usually Black wire if memory serves) and adding the switch on it?   

Also, if anyone happens to know and is willing to share, will the 2018's have TV volume coming out of the 2 speaks in the back of the main cabin (by the bed)?  And to push my luck...read something about a bluetooth adapter that can be purchased to enable the stereo to pick up bluetooth device... is that the way to go?  Unsure if the 2018 would have bluetooth incorporated.
  • lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    Easy... dual 6 V battery conversion:

Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • JannonJannon Member Posts: 50
    Lightnindon... assuming you've used this setup since installing, does it make a significant difference?  I assume so as you've called it out.  Believe this is near the top of my priority mod list!
    With my original group 24 battery, I got only 2 nights with the fridge and occasional usage of lights and 1 movie, and I was down to 11.9 v. With the dual 6V conversion, I just got 5 days with fridge, 3 movie nights, and same occasional usage of lights and pulled out of my site at 12.1 volts.
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
  • Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    I'm pretty much a battery idiot.  Not really, but I certainly have a respectable amount of fear when connecting/disconnecting terminals.  What order do you connect the 5 wires?

2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

I would suggest connecting the wire from the + post of battery one to the - post of battery 2 first. Then connect the 2 white wires(one from trailer and the other from the zamp connector) to the negative post of battery one. Lastly connect the 2 hot wires (red one and the green one in this case) to the + post of battery 2. This would reduce your chances to short out a battery.
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Electrically it probably doesn't matter, but for safety purposes conventional wisdom says to hook up the vehicle's negative lead last.

If you hook up the negative lead first, then accidentally touch your wrench to any grounded metal on the vehicle body while hooking up the positive lead, you will be treated to an impressive fireworks display and probably a change of underwear. Take my word for it--that's a mistake you only make once!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I was always told the negative wires are like the Marines, first in and last out :) oorrah!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited August 2017
    2 in one.

first, about the dimer switch for the radio, like mentionned, yep, the dimer will take down the light off or low enough to make it almost out.  But I like the idea of eliminating the phantom draw.  Might even do this for the usb charger.
    btw, I would not use twist connector for any connection in any type of vehicule.  Soldering is the only good way to go.  Twist connector can loosen up with vibration.  They are actualy forbiten in cars or any other motor vehicule and would not pass safety inspection and could cause a short circuit ( from basic burned fuses, to burn computer or even worst, fire) and with the amount of vibration in the T@A or T@G, no way they will last.

now second

why use 2x 6 volts batteries, why not use 2 x 12 volts batteries instead. I'm not that good with batterie reserve, but in any modification for overlanding or even heavy winching in the off road world, people who makes that type of power ad on always go with 2 x 12 volts.  Never 2x 6 volts.  I'm puzzel.

thank you in advance for the info.

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I haven't seen any comments about having an exterior door added to access stuff under the bench.  I know some people had it done at the previous gatherings by the company.  We rarely lift the back up inside, preferring leaving our twin beds set up .  I was thinking it could be used for quick access.  I saw some listed for 40 bucks but I'd have figure out how to get it installed.  

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Luckyj a few have done that-I searched on 2 12V and found some posts which talk about 2 12's. It's a good question, cost? Tongue weight, need?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited August 2017
    But if you put it on the tail, what are you drilling in to?  It should be frame mounted.

Why frame? Wood seems more than sufficient.

Assuming 1) it's available as a kit from nüCamp and 2) it will mount fine inside a 320 tail, the new 400 hose storage solution looks pretty slick to me.

I would be very interested in this mod but us there room with the Alde back there?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

Tabbed John said:

Assuming 1) it's available as a kit from nüCamp and 2) it will mount fine inside a 320 tail, the new 400 hose storage solution looks pretty slick to me.

I would be very interested in this mod but us there room with the Alde back there?
    There is room if you remove the rear cover but you'd have to work around hoses (at least in my 2015 T@B Max S), the glycol tank, etc.  I still prefer the tongue sewer hose storage mod and consider it to be the most practical for sewer hose storage as it has things in the ideal location for the task at hand.  The mod above however is excellent use of available space.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Personally, the last item I want inside my T@b is the sewer hose. It still doesn't smell, but it is also in a ventilated tube now. Nope, not going inside, not gonna happen!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    The hose is not technically inside, if the carrier tube remains fully sealed.

That's a big if--I'm with Homebodyatheart!

A similar mod was discussed in a previous thread--perhaps a tube running all the way through the camper. Not much good for anything though, given the limited diameter.
    2015 T@B S
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    TerryV6 said:
    I haven't seen any comments about having an exterior door added to access stuff under the bench.  I know some people had it done at the previous gatherings by the company.  We rarely lift the back up inside, preferring leaving our twin beds set up .  I was thinking it could be used for quick access.  I saw some listed for 40 bucks but I'd have figure out how to get it installed.  

Mouseketab did that, but she has an older (maybe Dutchman) model. I might add a very well-loved and blue-mousie model! <3 I think it accessed the area under the bed (no Alde if memory serves me right). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • DrewcarrieDrewcarrie Member Posts: 26
    I cut a titan 15 foot waste hose down to 12 1/2 so it will fit in the 400 tube. Put a locked battery type box in the front battery holder of the 400 to hold useful things so they won't get buried under bed
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243

Is there a reason to go to twin 6volt batteries instead of twin 12volt batteries? I once had a Land Cruiser that ran a pair of 12V batteries in parallel that was very effective.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    @lightningdon  No propane tank????

2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744

@lightningdon Where did you put your propane, with this mod?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.

Should have posted this picture instead. Since all I need propane for is the stove, which I only use very little, I use an adapter and 1lb throwaway tanks.
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744

Should have posted this picture instead. Since all I need propane for is the stove, which I only use very little, I use an adapter and 1lb throwaway tanks.
    Now I see it and tag... so no Alde.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Personally, the last item I want inside my T@b is the sewer hose. It still doesn't smell, but it is also in a ventilated tube now. Nope, not going inside, not gonna happen!
    Not only is it in the pipe, but I have endcaps on my hose and my hose has never had any odors.

ScottG said:
    The hose is not technically inside, if the carrier tube remains fully sealed.

That's a big if--I'm with Homebodyatheart!

A similar mod was discussed in a previous thread--perhaps a tube running all the way through the camper. Not much good for anything though, given the limited diameter.
    That looks like it is larger in diameter than the sewer hose storage you would buy from Camping World or other RV supplies. Perhaps they used a PVC pipe.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• BornTABwildBornTABwild Member Posts: 2
    jkjenn said:
    Dual batteries and Outback axle and tires.
    How/where did you get the Outback axle and tires installed? NuCamp said they couldn't do it on my 400.