Front window rock protection

There have been several reports of front window damage do to flying rocks. Although we have not experienced that we are getting some very small nicks in the plastic. There is one small dent next to the window. Had that rock hit the window it would most likely have broken it. Here is my approach to protecting that window. I  sourced the 3 items from Home Depot 

1 pc of  corrugated black plastic 24"x36" sku# 074507996159  $9.22
1 pc plastic sunlite 8mm U channel 8' sku#
763552401397  $4.47
1 roll of Scotch or 3M red back double sided trim tape. About $5.00
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Dale, this is a very clever solution. I like how you are thinking. I wonder if bubble wrap or some padding on the inside of the plastic, facing the glass would add a little cushion?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Dale,
    Is it pretty tight?  Can it slip out?  Need to put some kind of an end cap to hold it in place?  I see a factory option here!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nice job @Dalehelman! The Mod king strikes again! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Very nice, well done.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I just did this. So l can not report on the long term . It is very secure. If additional refinements are needed I will pass them along. I expect it to stay in place during speeds in excess of 75 mph.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun

jkjenn said:

Dale, this is a very clever solution. I like how you are thinking. I wonder if bubble wrap or some padding on the inside of the plastic, facing the glass would add a little cushion?

At this time I don't think it would be necessary. The  corrugated material should  disperse the impact force  sufficiently. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited May 2017
    @Dalehelman, WHAT? Are 'ya goin' downhill, or drag racin' T@Bs? :o
    Now, if you could figure out how to throw the rocks BACK at 'em....... ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

Nice! Looks like black or white is the choice since colors only come in 10 packs. :(
    May work for AC vent cover as well (channel at front/top/bottom of vent; Velcro or dual-lock at rear).

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    I bet you could find some Krylon Plastic rattle can paint to color match. Even make a reversible color option.
    I am going to 777 spray adhesive the panel and smooth some flannel on the back of mine to avoid rubbing.
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150

Nice! Looks like black or white is the choice since colors only come in 10 packs. :(
    May work for AC vent cover as well (channel at front/top/bottom of vent; Velcro or dual-lock at rear).

Check with any lawn sign company. Coroplast comes in many colours.

James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    To avoid scratching the window while driving and aggetating the surface, maybe cut the black cover slightly wider than needed causing a gentle bend when installing.
    It has a slight curve and does not contact the window other than at the very top and bottom. If done properly it does require some degree of force to install and remove. I don't expect any movement why'll underway.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Nice. We went a different way - full glass coverage on our T@B insurance policy.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Thank you for sharing this! Definitely going to add this to my t@b. 
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

Photomom said:

Nice. We went a different way - full glass coverage on our T@B insurance policy.

I have that, too, but not exactly convenient when in the middle of nowhere! :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

I am thinking for those of us with the non-opening window, we might be able to fit something with elastic that snugs around the window.

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217

jkjenn said:

Photomom said:

Duct tape and contractor bags! Don't leave home without 'em!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Photomom said:

jkjenn said:

Photomom said:

Duct tape and contractor bags! Don't leave home without 'em!

Yeah, I'd rather not have it break if it can be avoided. Nothing spoils a cute trailer's appeal like a contractor bag and duct tape. Find a fix in transit seems like it could be a more simple solution.

• MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    One question though are the silver edges not the same material as the window therefore should also be protected?
    Mega said:
    One question though are the silver edges not the same material as the window therefore should also be protected?
    Possible yes.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Nice job!
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

I love to come up with new ideas. It's up to you all to help me refine them, and if you like them make them work for you. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You know that stiff pink insulation? I used titebond II glue to make edges for it. Then used the titebond II glue to put on fabric of my choosing to cover it. That was for covering the solar panel on my reverse LG TD - perxactly in the position of that front window!!

Now I had that held on with straps and buckles and you can't do that.... BUT, those industrial plastic to plastic outdoor Command strips were not available. It's a way to match your camper's color and style and you can take it off when you park. The key would be to have the edges pushed down tight.

It was just an idea and you'd have those strips visible when you took the cover off. Would there be an Earth magnet option where you could color the magnetic strips? Could you put strap holders at the top and bottom of the window (where would they come out inside? and they'd have to be reinforced inside). Strap holders would be much more inconspicuous and not distract from the T@B look. BTW, strap ends need to be tied down - tip for those who've never traveled with tie-downs.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2017
    I dunno @jkjenn, I wonder if our front windows might be less susceptible to damage because they're (tempered?) glass.

I'm not looking forward to hooking a trailer to the back of the Tab for all its accessories! B)

Maybe better mud flaps would suffice?

Just a thought. (I do like your solutions @Dalehelman ;) )
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Remind me - what is the difference between the current windows that open and the permanently closed windows?  Is there a glass difference?
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes, the earlier window, which doesn't open, is tinted, single-pane, and heavy glass, and I'm guessing that it's tempered, haven't checked. It's also curved to match the curve of the front of the Tab.
    SAM said:
    Remind me - what is the difference between the current windows that open and the permanently closed windows?  Is there a glass difference?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Chan.  So, the current opening windows are double pane Lexan?  
    @ChanW I recall someone saying they got hit by a rock during travel had their non-opening window and it was tempered, but did not have the 'plastic' sandwich that a front window of a vehicle has. It's more like the side windows of a vehicle. The people who had their window broken said they were picking tiny glass pieces forever.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Ratkity Happycamperswives have a video of thier front window shattering into many tiny pieces everywhere. Now they are lexan, and I put clear packing tape over my 3-4" crack from a rock. I have purchased a replacement from NuCamp but may wait till the season is done before replacing it.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @Ratkity Happycamperswives have a video of thier front window shattering into many tiny pieces everywhere. Now they are lexan, and I put clear packing tape over my 3-4" crack from a rock. I have purchased a replacement from NuCamp but may wait till the season is done before replacing it.
    There is clear repair tape that Gorilla Tape makes that may be a little weatherproof, but leave the packing tape if it's working. I understand just waiting to replace the window until the season is over if it's not anything more than a cosmetic issue and doesn't leak.

Good luck in the replacement!