What accessory/item do you regret buying?

HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
edited August 2017 in Products and Accessories
Like so many others, I have found this forum invaluable because it helped me narrow down items I've needed for my T@B and saved me a lot of expense in trial and error to find the right thing to fit/work/be useful.

But every now and then you come up with a miss.  What have YOU bought for your T@B that you thought would be fantastic/very much needed that ended up not being that at all?  :)

I'll start off... because I full-time, I cook in my T@B (320 S) 99% of the time.  I found fantastic ratings and recommendations on another caravan site for a premium stacking set of pots and pans - the Magma Gourmet Nesting 7-Piece set, which sells for around $160.00.  I promptly bought it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CN7JJ0O/

The verdict?  Well, it fits nicely in the lower cabinet in the kitchen but honestly, I dread hauling it out and taking it apart (not to mention the space everything takes up when separated!) just to get the pot I need. Everything is very big, heavy, and awkward. Even typing this seems silly... these are nice quality pans!... but when you need to do it, you'd be surprised at the annoyance! The quality is fantastic, and the non-stick ideal for boondocking but... I laugh at this, but I find myself reaching for my $3.49 frying pan from Ikea that I had bought on a whim 9 times out of 10! I even heated up soup tonight in the frying pan instead of hauling out the very nice, very expensive pot!  :o

Many might disagree but I wish I'd saved the money.  I think I may find myself ditching the Magma set in the near future...

So what have YOU bought, large or small, that you wish you hadn't??

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Well, I'm just going to say I am glad I did not invest a lot of money into an expensive solar setup, as I am finding there is a lot of shade in the forest, which severely handicaps any solar setups output.   I prefer to camp in the forest whenever possible.  

I don't regret buying my panel though, because it cost me very little.   
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited August 2017
    Excellent question, and I'm quite sure, this being a very personal, individual preference question, you'll be hearing a whole array of answers. For us, the side tent. I find our screen room does all the things I wanted the side tent to do with more usable space. I've found the side tent to get extremely warm in areas where shade is at a minimum. I'm sure it more than serves it's purpose for many, just not for us, and our "style" of camping. I have an outdoor kitchen that fits inside, and accommodates the usually provided picnic table as well. Another big plus is...you can see 360*!!!!! Just my opinion. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

:rofl:, @Tabaz , now, that's a good one!!!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    The mirror extensions for my Subaru. I thought they would be a great help but they really didn't improve the rear vision and they were tricky to put on.
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Good question.

I went one-accessory-too-far when I bought the Sewer Solution black-water "macerator" system for our Tab.

It works as the promos say it should, but uses bunches of water, takes longer, and complicates a pretty simple chore!

And just try to sell a (slightly) used black-water 'processor'...

Anyone want to buy a Sewer Solution system, cheap?   B)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    I like our T@b visor XL way more than our T@b awning.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• PhotoJoePhotoJoe Member Posts: 34
    Our PahaQue 12 x 12 Cottonwood XLT.  It's very flimsy and a pain to put up.  It's also available for sale.
  • rhaspyhonkerrhaspyhonker Member Posts: 33
    We've been in enough downpour rain storms to really appreciate our awning.  We opted for that over the visor and glad we did...we can sit outside comfortably even when the rain is coming at us sideways...which has happened a few times already!  

The one thing that we don't ever use is the porcelain coated steel dish set that matches our decor...who wants to wash dishes all night in that tiny sink!  Paper plates all the way!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My folding bike, but I sold that at üCamp17. 
    A bag of leveling blocks that didn't match my existing ones and were useless because of that, and they were sold at üCamp17. 
    A battery switch that was not exactly what I wanted, and that was sold at üCamp, also. 
    I think I'm down to what I want and need....maybe. 

You're very welcome, @Michigan_Mike, because I like that table, too.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The only accessory I regret buying is one of those plastic T levels. Never even stuck it on, the short carpenter's level works great.

That said, we don't take the 4 back cushions when we camp. We sleep in twin beds and leave them made up, and we'd end up leaving the cushions in the SUV. And we don't take the Lagun table either, it was much more trouble than it was worth for he rare occasions we want a table inside the trailer.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    @jkjenn, I have used both of the 25' 30 amp extension cords for my Camp Hosting gig, and I had to buy four 25' white hoses. My original one starting leaking so I had to replace it and I needed a total of 100' of hose to get to the spigot. It sure is easier than remembering to fill jugs and empty them into the fresh water tank. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    Photomom said:
     And we don't take the Lagun table either, it was much more trouble than it was worth for he rare occasions we want a table inside the trailer.
    I never used my Lagun table inside either, but it is a mainstay item on the trailer for use with both my XL visor or the screen room side tent.  I love the outside mount and it is like creating a small cafe or diner outdoors and comes in handy for setting things on when enjoying the fresh air.  That's been one of the better upgrades I've made to my T@B actually.  But agree, if you leave the bed up there is no way to use the table unless you were to make room indoors.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Photomom said:
     And we don't take the Lagun table either, it was much more trouble than it was worth for he rare occasions we want a table inside the trailer.
    I never used my Lagun table inside either, but it is a mainstay item on the trailer for use with both my XL visor or the screen room side tent.  I love the outside mount and it is like creating a small cafe or diner outdoors and comes in handy for setting things on when enjoying the fresh air.  That's been one of the better upgrades I've made to my T@B actually.  But agree, if you leave the bed up there is no way to use the table unless you were to make room indoors.  
    We tried rotating it around over the center of the sofa and it was an okay nightstand between our beds, but without it Max can sleep there and leave the floor clear.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, I have used both of the 25' 30 amp extension cords for my Camp Hosting gig, and I had to buy four 25' white hoses. My original one starting leaking so I had to replace it and I needed a total of 100' of hose to get to the spigot. It sure is easier than remembering to fill jugs and empty them into the fresh water tank. 
    I have never needed a second 30 amp cord but I have used the second hose, but only once. That being said if I am in a position to need the second hose, it really isn't that much more effort to use the fresh water fill and fill up my 5 gallon jug. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@jkjenn, it's 100' to the water spigot over 6" tall roots, spider webs from tree to ground....a forest area. It was cheaper to buy 4 hoses than to pay the co-pays for a fall ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, it's 100' to the water spigot over 6" tall roots, spider webs from tree to ground....a forest area. It was cheaper to buy 4 hoses than to pay the co-pays for a fall ;)

Another reason not to be a CG host :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    You people are shopaholics!  :-)

I can't think of anything I regret acquiring for my 2015 (which is not all that much...), nor do I regret ditching the old-style elevator table, the funny shaped side cushions, or the air conditioner. (And, if there was any space to gain from tossing the television, that would probably go next!)
    2015 T@B S
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    My 200 watt Zamp solar panel.  I thought with two six volt batteries, I would need it.  When I was out for a long weekend earlier this summer, I plugged it in and it charged my batteries in about four hours.  So, I bought the 120 watt pane.  This last weekend, (Thursday - Monday), I plugged in the 120 on Friday to top the batteries off, and left for home on Monday with 12.4 volts still on my batteries.  So, the 200 watt seems to have been over kill.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I would have to say our generator.  We have yet to be in a situation where we needed it, because we were in a Power site, or in a site where they weren't allowed.. In fact, I only fired it up once.  We had done some camping in very hot weather, so my wife thought this would be the way to go. I wanted a bigger solar than the 40 that came with our camper.  I was outvoted of course...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

There are a couple things we've only used once or twice. We camped one place last summer where the power poles were shared between pairs of sites and we were on the "wrong" side. We made do with an ordinary extension cord then and now carry a 30a extension cord. Sure enough, our last campsite last fall had the power connection way in the back, behind a tree down a steep slope, so we were glad to have the extension cord.

Most of our weekend trips are at nearby state parks that typically have one faucet per camping loop, and we've ended up using the second water hose a couple times. We rarely use these things but when we needed them we were glad to have them.
    @TerryV6, Had to chuckle at the "outvoted" comment. :rofl: For goodness sake man, vote twice for yourself!!! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
     :)

2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • Finn12Finn12 Member Posts: 22
    Two things for me.  First, I removed the T@G style 2-way frig in the back of my 2017 CS-S before the first trip. Too much of an energy hog for my small Group 24 battery.  I invested in a Yeti cooler instead.  Much more practical for this weekend camper.   I use the extra space for dry food storage.   Second, I bought a Weber Q1200 grill.   Great grill but takes up a lot of room in my tow vehicle and you gotta carry extra propane tanks.   I find I can cook everything on stove or over the fire so far.   I guess I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to setup.
    2017 T@B CS-S Max White with Plum Metallic towed by 2019 BMW X3
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Finn12 said: I'll
    Two things for me.  First, I removed the T@G style 2-way frig in the back of my 2017 CS-S before the first trip. Too much of an energy hog for my small Group 24 battery.  I invested in a Yeti cooler instead.  Much more practical for this weekend camper.   I use the extra space for dry food storage.   Second, I bought a Weber Q1200 grill.   Great grill but takes up a lot of room in my tow vehicle and you gotta carry extra propane tanks.   I find I can cook everything on stove or over the fire so far.   I guess I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to setup.
    Same here with the Weber Q, took up too much room and unless you cover it, it can smell up your TV. Would be better if your TV is a truck.  It's now become our home grill hooked to a regular propane tank, love the way it cooks and there's only 2 of us.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra