Sewer Hose Storage Tube Question

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
After three seasons, I've probably pushed my luck with the little dimestore sewer hose that came tucked in the tub of my T@B. Next year's improvements will likely include a better hose, which will require upgraded storage. 

I'm leaning toward mounting the tube along one of the front frame rails, as many of you here have done. However, when I look at your photos, it seems like the tube opens up pretty close to the back of the tow vehicle. Do you find that the tight space creates any impediment to getting the hose out and back in easily? Any opinions as to which side of the trailer is easier to work from?

I know I need to do something different, but I really hate struggling/futzing with stuff, particularly after I've gone through the trouble of making a modification. Thanks for any input!
2015 T@B S

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Scott, I twist off the end, pull the sewer hose a bit and it slithers to the ground, slide it under my tongue and “do the dump” (sounds like a dance ;) ).  Then to put it back into the tube, I put the hose on the ground, slide it into the tube, twist the end back on and I’m done. 64” tube from Camping World and it holds 20’ of hose.  I chose black to blend in with the black frame. 

No, the orange graduated piece won’t fit in the tube, or I haven’t tried just putting it in there. I take it off and put it in a Rubbermaid latching container that holds rubber gloves, hand cleaner, plastic wrench to loosen the connectors, and the sewer donut. 

(Excuse the yellow pollen from my pin oak tree — it was all over everything!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Scott, we mounted the same sewer hose holder as Verna.  It will not fit on the driver side due to the grey and black tank outlets.  No problems using it from this position.  Plenty of room.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Thanks, Verna and SAM. I suspected mounting on the driver's side would be restricted by the tank outlets.

Poking around I found this approach as well: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5087/sewer-hose-carrier/p1. I may go this route if it will fit past the larger battery box I installed in the tub.
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, That's a nice clean install, and I wonder why it's NOT one of the upgrades in the newer 320 models. Puts the ol' stinky hose right where 'ya need it. Just remember, measure twice...cut once! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Yes Scot G, that is a sweet mount.  Really perfect and I agree with Eric - nuCamp should consider this.  My only problem is the big battery won’t allow for that.

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    edited December 2017
    @ScottG here’s what I’ve done. 60” length of 4” pvc pipe, end cap, and screw cap assembly, and the metal tie downs with nuts, locking washers and bolts. Next time I’d use a black pvc pipe which probably could be shorter, but I love the placement! I also drilled holes along the underside about every three inches for ventilation and drainage. I use a rhino hose and had to file down some of the edges so it fit inside the tube all the way, but it doesn’t change it’s function at all. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Good solution @Homebodyatheart. Is the Valterra carrier larger in inside diameter than regular PVC, or are the couplings too big for any of them without cutting them down? Whatever I do I want to be able to get the entire stink pipe into it without disassembling anything. (I've been able to avoid elbows, donuts, etc. thus far and hope to keep it that way.)

Do you also find getting the hose out and in from that configuration to be easy enough? 
    2015 T@B S
    edited December 2017

Evidently the Valtera is larger in the inside diameter because I didn’t ‘t have to make any modifications. The elbow stays on, but the graduated orange end does need to be twisted off.  @ScottG, I just leave my nitrile gloves on until everything is put away, including unscrewing the orange end. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    What about using a square fence post?  Would a 4x4 or 5x5 store all the fittings easily?  I've thought about using one on the back rack of my Outback.  (I know I can hang it somewhere back there to test it).  I'm hardware challenged, however, and I have no good idea on what sort of end caps would be easily removable.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143

I posted this some time ago.

Fergie

Sewer Hose storage solution Comment by Fergie March 17

@ScottG I can’t answer about the Voltera. I also keep my disposable gloves on until all done, then use a generous shot of hand sanitizer for good measure. I really like what someone did with sliding their storage tube between the front of the Tab and rear of the front tub. It takes some cutting to the tub, but if you have the screw cap on the drivers side it would be ideal! Mine was in use by the time I saw this idea. Maybe next year I will change it out. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Gotta love those nitrile glove--I keep a pack handy as well.

My issue is less about having to handle the fittings as it is wanting to be able to store everything in one contained place. I'm a minimalist when it comes to what I'm willing to pack and where it gets carried. Looks like I'll have to do some careful shopping for hoses and tubes when I get to that point. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Another idea I've dabbled with is running a tube through the empty tail space of the T@B. However, I like the idea of having drain/air holes in the tube, and that won't work for an inside application! It seems the T@B 400 has this sort of configuration--is the storage tube vented in any way or does it just stay sealed up tight?
    2015 T@B S
    What about using a square fence post?  Would a 4x4 or 5x5 store all the fittings easily?  I've thought about using one on the back rack of my Outback.  (I know I can hang it somewhere back there to test it).  I'm hardware challenged, however, and I have no good idea on what sort of end caps would be easily removable.
    The only option I could see for using a fence post would be to put some kind of a pin or latch on a decorative end cap just to hold it in place while in transit.

I clearly don't don't know much about sewer hoses, so I can't answer your question regarding size. Post back with the info if you get it figured out!
    2015 T@B S
    @ScottG check out @Dalehelman sewer hose attachment. It’s what you are describing. The reason I didn’t go this route is that I really like it handy, closer to the dump valve. Good luck!
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We keep our 15' rhino hose, elbow and spare caps coiled in a red 5 gal bucket with a tight lid. It travels in the T@B and stores in the TV or under the trailer while camping. We carry the master blaster, baggie of gloves, antibacterial wipes and happy camper powder in a decorative plastic bag which also travels in the T@B and stores in the TV. The bucket allows us to easily soak the hose etc. in a mild bleach solution when we get home. Not a particularly "buttoned down" arrangement, but it's easy.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    This company claims their tube holds "everything."  The inner dimensions are 4 5/8th, which is apparently the new perfect.

https://www.dwincorp.com/product/super-slider-adjustable-super-tube/

There is one video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlvdJt5adw

Which apparently shows everything (right angle attachment and the graduated dump station connector) going into the the tube.

@ScottG I did a little digging around the web last night and found a video of a 4x4 post with exactly the end attachments as you describe, but with latches and  cotter pins and springs, etc.  Way too much work, for me.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ChaseTheLightChaseTheLight Member Posts: 48
    ScottG said:

Another idea I've dabbled with is running a tube through the empty tail space of the T@B. However, I like the idea of having drain/air holes in the tube, and that won't work for an inside application! It seems the T@B 400 has this sort of configuration--is the storage tube vented in any way or does it just stay sealed up tight?
    Scott I have a Tab 400 and still looking for a good solution for hose storage. The existing tube provided is just under 4.5 feet deep so it will not hold a 15’ hose like the Titan which requires about 60”. Not sure why it was made so shallow. If anyone has a good on-board solution for the 400 would like to hear about it. Right now thinking of the 5 g bucket as mentioned above. 
    2018T@B 400. Ford Explorer TV. Medina, Ohio
    @ChaseTheLight, I wonder why it doesn't go all the way through. Even the 320 has a almost 6' of width to work with, which was what got me thinking about the idea in the first place.
    2015 T@B S
    edited December 2017
    @Homebodyatheart, isn't Dale's mounted outside, bumper-style? I was thinking of running the tube right through the wall of the T@B so it was completely enclosed in the wasted space behind the bed. Not completely sure there is enough room there, however. I know something similar was discussed here a while back, but I don't recall if anyone ever took the plunge and actually tried it.

Anyway, like you, my preference would be to have the hose up front closer to the dump valves. It would be really sweet if I could fit that oversized adjustable tube @pthomas745 found behind the tub. I ain't goin' out to make any measurements 'till it warms up though! (Probably in April...)
    2015 T@B S
    Scott, we have the 15 foot Rhinoflex and we are able to store it and the orange 4 in 1 adapter inside the 64 inch Valterra EZ Hose Carrier.  We have a new 5 feet extension that we may need someday stored in the TV.  We got an Amazon open box deal on the Valterra and currently they are selling a used - good condition one.  I can't believe that Amazon would actually sell this item really used...hopefully it was in Used condition because of mounting, not actual use.  Ewww.
    Yeah! Ewww.  :-)
    2015 T@B S
    Ok, just got my 15' Rhinoflex and am back to considering storage solutions. Again, a top priority is that all parts of the poop pipe must go into whatever carrier I employ.

The Super-Slider caught my eye at first as it claims a 4 5/8" ID. Problem is it's quite expensive and has gotten some poor reviews for it's flimsy door assembly. So now I'm back looking at the Valterra EZ.

Depending on the source, the Valterra is listed 4.4" or 4 1/2" ID. If my measurements are correct, this is plenty big enough to hold the Rhinoflex with its end fittings and white 90-degree elbow still attached. Judging by @Verna's photos above, this is indeed the case.

@SAM, you claim you also get the orange 4-in-1 adapter in there as well. However, I measure the adapter at a tight 4 1/2". Did you have to modify yours in some way to make that work? I'm thinking that--if necessary--I could cut down the outer ring of the 4-in-1 to make it a more manageable 4". While not strictly necessary, I can see where the adapter will be good for keeping the hose in the hole, so I'd like to use it provided I don't have to stash it separately.  :-p

Can anyone who has a Valterra EZ actually confirm the inside diameter? Thanks!
    2015 T@B S
    edited April 2018
    @ScottG, my 64” has a 4.5” ID (it is difficult to measure since there is a PVC clamp glued to the end). I had to make absolutely no adjustments to slide the Rhino hose into the tube, other than to take the tapered end off.  Even with the 5’ spacer hose, I could lay the tapered end separately just inside the tube. 

I do use the 15’ Rhino hose and if needed, I would replace it with a 20’ Rhino hose.  I do keep a 10’ Rhino extension hose in a huge Ziplock storage bag in the truck, and yes, I have needed the 15’ with the 20’ three times in 3 years to reach either a sewer connection or an RV dump. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @ScottG, ID is 4.5 inches and here are pics.  DH put a heavy string around the end to make it easier to retrieve.  Put the 4 in 1 orange adapter in feet first :) Lead with the distal end of the hose.

Sweet, thanks @SAM and @Verna. I'll be ordering up the Valterra EZ ASAP. (I like the string idea, too!)

Eventually I'd like to do the behind-the-tub mount, but if I don't get to that straightaway I'll mount on the side of the tongue as you both have it. Seems that also works just fine.
    2015 T@B S
    And to sweeten the deal I was also able to order a "used" Valterra EZ.

I might be including it in my sanitation routine in the next couple weeks...  :-p
    2015 T@B S
  • BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    Fyi. The 2018 320s do not come with a sewer hose. At least that is what my dealer told me.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing
    Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
    2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
    Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

• dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @BogieMeister that's right, you need to purchase a hose. I've read in a T@B Facebook group that some dealers include a starter package of gear.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5