Options

2018 Nucamp Solar Package?

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Thanks @pthomas745. (And reminder to self-search for a date on the info)
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,652
    @Twojgrams, that is so true.  The interwebs never forget, and solar has changed drastically over the years.  All the old 2007 forum posts across the web about solar should come with a warning label!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @ecyfoto I was at a dealer this weekend and saw the solar setup on a 2018 T@b. I didn't see an inverter on that setup. I also, didn't see a power controller either and the dealer couldn't tell me where it was. I looked everywhere, for probably 10 minutes or so. Anyhow, the jury's out on the answer to your question. 

I will weigh in on the solar debate only to say that if you have permanent solar, be sure you are doing it for the right reasons. We added 200 watts of solar so that we could charge our batteries up between overnight dry camping on our drives up the coast from San Diego to Washington. We don't have an AC and rely heavily on our fantastic fan to provide enough cool air at night to sleep. That and running our fridge on 12V will deplete the battery pretty good. So, it's imperative that we have a fully charged battery when we get to our destination each night. This system works better in the summer than it does in the winter, even in the South West. On our reason trip to Tabazona driving the I-10 with clear sky's we were only able to generate about 350 watts of power compared to 850 watts during the summer sun angle. 

When we camped at Joshua Tree after Thanksgiving we were unable to park for optimal sun and needed our 60 watt portable to help generate what we needed. Temps we're cool enough overnight that we didn't need to run the fan so we managed with less power. 

We also, added 200AH of 12volt AGM batteries and 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter which allows for some flexibility in power usage. 

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I have what was likely one of the first 2018 T@Bs with roof mounted solar (my build date had been pushed back to coordinate with the date this was to go "live") so I can tell you a bit about it.

There definitely is no inverter as part of the package.  I originally talked to my dealer about putting one in, but for cost and space saving I decided to do without and add later if I needed it. 

@dsatwork The solar controller is mounted in the driver's side wheel well in the screwed shut cabinet.  My dealer didn't know where it was either!  See picture below.

The standard factory installed panels are 160 watt (I was told by my dealer it would be 200w.  Long story). That will do a lot more than trickle charge!  Like others that utilise solar extensively, my main upgrade was to my batteries.  I've dual 6v for a combined 225 AH.  Picture below of the factory standard option for solar panels.  Yes, I know my upgraded MaxxAir fan when closed covers part of the panel, and I know all the issues this can cause.

For me?  I was surprised the 160w panels charge my batteries really well and fast. I'm an energy miser, and I use almost exclusively 12v/USB charging and even have a direct 12v cord for my laptop.  I do have an emergency 300w portable power inverter that works really well, although it doesn't power my hair flat iron and it should.  Hey, I live in my T@B full time, I do have to be presentable from time to time!  =)

I also use my fridge on propane often if expecting a lot of rain or overly cloudy weather or just because in hot humid weather it works far better on propane.  

On the whole, pretty happy with the factory solar as it was much less hassle than doing it myself or finding a 3rd party vendor to mess with my T@B. YMMV!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @HR_Taly thanks I should have looked there....glad to hear the solar is working well for you.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    CoolparrotCoolparrot Member Posts: 18
    What is the make and model of the factory solar package? Can it be added to older T@Bs?
  • Options
    Jellybones11Jellybones11 Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2018
    HI all. I am planning on installing flexible solar panels to my roof. I have the outback Max S edition. Trying to decide which flexible solar panels and sizes. I am vertically challenged and am solar illiterate...I plan on getting two 2v batteries also.  I am trying to have these installed and they want to know the measurements on the roof.  Even on the top rung of my ladder (eek!) I cannot get to the center of the roof. Does anyone have measurements for the roof;  vent to window and the vent to the rack? What is the overall length of roof from center to center. Anybody have a picture of roof? 2017 Outback Max S.  Also, I did purchase a Unisolar flexible panel but am not sure if I can install secondary to the rooftop vent and rack...anybody have any ideas?
  • Options
    HappycampersB_GHappycampersB_G Member Posts: 3
    We have just purchased a used 2018 320S that has the factory solar package. We’ve had a couple of clear sunny days (rare for the Oregon coast...) and I don’t seem to be getting a charge from solar. It could be that we’re not at a good enough angle, but two things on the control panel have me wondering if given it was (very lightly) used, maybe the default settings were changed? The manual defines the controller indicators and buttons but does not offer advice on what settings to choose. Any insights would be appreciated! 

The things that don’t look quite right:
    1. It’s mid morning with a clear blue sky and bright sun and the daytime/nighttime indicator shows nighttime. (That is all I’ve ever seen it show)

2. There are 18 different load working mode settings. When I bought it, it was set to 16 or ‘Debugging mode’. I’ve tried ‘17’ (Normal on mode) and ‘0’ (Pure light control mode) with no changes to the other indicators. 

There is is an indicator that shows charging current from the panel to the battery, but I’ve never seen any current flowing. I do see current flowing on the output/consumption side. 

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you!
    Greg

• Options
    The "working mode" settings are for powering small loads, such as a set of low voltage lights.  Unless you have something connected to the load output, you don't need to worry about that setting at all.

What is the brand of solar controller?  Have a manual?

What is the state of charge of your battery?
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    It is the same controller as pictured above by HR_Taly. I couldn’t find a brand/logo on the controller or the manual, but searching online it looks like the company might be an SRNE solar HP-2440. 

I do have the manual, and as mentioned above - it does a good job of defining what controls do and what a screen icon means, but doesn’t really go into how to operate it. 

I have been giving the battery a good charge each evening from our generator. Currently at the end of the day we’re at 12.3. 

Thanks for the comment. 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @HappycampersB_G, just to let you know, the converter can't give a decent charge (via generator or being plugged in) when done for only a few hours. All batteries need an overnight charge with no load to get to 100%. The best one can do is get to 90-95% with phantom loads. 

It's the bane of all trailer batteries, flooded, agm, gel.... no matter the size. Sorta like a broken bone - they all take a minimum of 8-10 weeks to heal. 

It's great that you are not going under 12.3V by morning! That shows how well you are currently using the juice you have. 

This was just an FYI. Perhaps once a month, you can flip the battery off switch and just put a regular old battery charger on the thing to top it off. Doesn't matter if the solar is hooked up. The solar charger defers to the regular battery charger or converter.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Just FYI...problem resolved and we are now charging like crazy out in the sunshine. Many thanks to NuCamp service. They suggested that they had seen the +/- (red/white) wires reversed during manufacturing, between the panels on the roof, and where they connect to the controller. 

Got out a volt meter and sure enough that was the case. Evidently about a foot from the the entry point on the roof, the black external wires connect to the internal pos/neg wires and they were connected backwards. (Hey you have a 50/50 chance right?) I could remove the roof fitting or remove the AC unit to gain access to the wiring for a permanent fix, but for now I just reversed them at the controller. (White to positive, red to negative)

The good news is, no damage to the controller and I’m getting a great charge in the direct sun. 
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Just FYI...problem resolved and we are now charging like crazy out in the sunshine. Many thanks to NuCamp service. They suggested that they had seen the +/- (red/white) wires reversed during manufacturing, between the panels on the roof, and where they connect to the controller. 

Got out a volt meter and sure enough that was the case. Evidently about a foot from the the entry point on the roof, the black external wires connect to the internal pos/neg wires and they were connected backwards. (Hey you have a 50/50 chance right?) I could remove the roof fitting or remove the AC unit to gain access to the wiring for a permanent fix, but for now I just reversed them at the controller. (White to positive, red to negative)

The good news is, no damage to the controller and I’m getting a great charge in the direct sun. 
    Thanks for the update.  Your feedback could be useful in the future, as others try to troubleshoot.

I'm happy to hear you got things sorted out. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    PauliePaulie Member Posts: 11
    We just boondocked for 4 days with our 2018 T@B 400 equipped with the factory solar panels and inverter. Did not use inverter on the trip, and did camp in a sunny campsite (won't always be the case), but were pleased to see that our battery bounced between FULL (most of the time) and 2/3 (occasional). 
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    HR_Taly we are ordering the roof solar and also sending a Maxx fan to the factory for installation. Can you explain this to me? Thank you.

“I know my upgraded MaxxAir fan when closed covers part of the panel, and I know all the issues this can cause.”

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @ColleenD2, any shadow cast on a solar panel (from the overhanging MaxxAir fan in this case) will reduce output from the panels.  In some cases, it will impact the entire panel.  I know there are certain panels where this is less of a problem, but not sure which.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Ohhhh ok thank you

• Options
    "Bypass diode" is the word for the day.

Newer solar panels have improved their handling of shade compared to older panels that would just shut down with any shade falling on them.  Shade is still not optimum, but it doesn't wipe out the whole panel output:

"Fortunately, most modern panels have overcome this problem with devices called bypass diodes. Panels equipped with these devices experience fewer negative effects of solar panels in shaded areas and allow electricity to “flow around” any solar cells currently in the shade.

Thanks to this updated technology, the amount of shade eclipsing the solar panel is now directly proportional to the amount of energy production the solar panel loses. For example, if 20% of the panel is shaded at a certain time of day, the panel products 20% less energy than when it’s in full sun. This is obviously not the most ideal situation, but it’s certainly better than reducing production by almost 100%, a flaw old panels once experienced."

I just looked at the Renogy web site and they discuss bypass diodes in their panels, so I would think that would be another spec to check for when purchasing.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    Thank you!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    "Bypass diode" is the word for the day.

Newer solar panels have improved their handling of shade compared to older panels that would just shut down with any shade falling on them.  Shade is still not optimum, but it doesn't wipe out the whole panel output:

"Fortunately, most modern panels have overcome this problem with devices called bypass diodes. Panels equipped with these devices experience fewer negative effects of solar panels in shaded areas and allow electricity to “flow around” any solar cells currently in the shade.

Thanks to this updated technology, the amount of shade eclipsing the solar panel is now directly proportional to the amount of energy production the solar panel loses. For example, if 20% of the panel is shaded at a certain time of day, the panel products 20% less energy than when it’s in full sun. This is obviously not the most ideal situation, but it’s certainly better than reducing production by almost 100%, a flaw old panels once experienced."

I just looked at the Renogy web site and they discuss bypass diodes in their panels, so I would think that would be another spec to check for when purchasing.

I have never found a little shadow to be a showstopper and the decreased performance also has been pretty much proportional to the amount of shadow.

I am thinking, seriously, of mounting a couple of Renogy 160w panels, next year and setting up the wiring so that I couple have a third out in full sun, if necessary. 

In addition to shade inhibiting solar, you end up with a lot of sap on your trailer. But, a little shade goes a long way to keep your trailer cool.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41

We just picked up our 2019 320 S with the solar option and we have nothing on the panel what-so-ever. I even made sure the correct color wire was on correct terminal as you noted. Since this is a warranty issue, I sent an email to warranty with a picture. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Did it work at the Dealer's?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Spectre9Spectre9 Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2018
    Took delivery today on a solar equipped 2018 Tab 320 S Outback. Here is a breakdown.

Two  Sunpower flexible panels - each panel had same number of cells. So characteristics likely close for the parallel confit - 100 or 110 watt plus a 50 watt. They are notched and together fit across center top of trailer.

#10 AWG wiring from External PV socket to PWM HP-2440-B (Bluetooth) controller.  App did work on iOS.

Battery connection also #10, but I haven’t traced it and it could very well tap in on thicker cable. But my hope are not high. 

The load-side was unconnected.  Some efficiency could be gained by perhaps building 12V output for a lion/numb battery charger or fan direct off solar. 

Basically a very low amps system except for the controller itself.  8.7 amps design or so.

No visible inline fuses. Will keep exploring.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Spectre9, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer!  Sounds like you are already adventuring through the world of your solar set-up. Enjoy! We'll wave if we pass you on the road sometime. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    In the upper Ohio Valley (Pittsburgh), on a partly cloudy day, I was able to draw 8.7 amps from my portable rigid panels on a partly cloudy day., recently. I would imagine in the SW, it would be higher and even more so with a clear sky. 

A consistent charge of 8.7 amps for 8 hrs should be enough to keep the average moderate power user topped off.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    It is a bit of a quandary concerning solar on the TAB trailers. Do you want to be parked in the sun? When it's cold outside you might but when it is warm or hot, probably not. Having panels on your roof when parked in the shade won't be very efficient, you get some power but not enough perhaps. On the other hand when you are towing the trailer and the sun is shining you get a definite benefit especially on a multiple stop trip.
    What I would like to do is to have both the rooftop panels and a portable panel that could be placed in the sun when the trailer is in shade. It appears that this can be done using two separate charge controllers. There are charge controllers that accomplish this via a communication buss (network) between controllers. On the other hand I have seen a video from one solar retailer which simply parallels two like controllers, I believe they were the MPPT variety, which did provide current to the battery which was approximately the sum of the currents of the two dissimilar solar arrays.
    Has anyone tried this?
  • Options

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    This is probably a dumb question, but now I'm curious...
    Why can't two different sets of panels just plug into one controller? Even if one is in the shade, won't the controller just work with what it gets from the one in the sun?
    Or, is this one of those situations where the controller sees both arrays as one big panel and efficiency drops off dramatically when any portion is shaded?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    This is probably a dumb question, but now I'm curious...
    Why can't two different sets of panels just plug into one controller? Even if one is in the shade, won't the controller just work with what it gets from the one in the sun?
    Or, is this one of those situations where the controller sees both arrays as one big panel and efficiency drops off dramatically when any portion is shaded?
    Not a dumb question

Most solar panels have one positive and one negative input. So, you cannot just add them to the controller.

You can combine like panels with branch connectors and run those panels in parallel as long as the combined wattage does not exceed the max watt input of the controller. You would need to add MC4 connectors to the factory solar to do that, however. You could run into other issues if you do this, such as poor efficiency if some of cells are shaded, but that will depend on the panels and the charge controller.

You can also run them in series and in this case the voltage is additive, not the watts. So, if you had  2 like  panels that were each 12v, and ran them in series you would be sending 24v to the controller. Some controllers can convert down to 12v, some cannot. Most Victron controllers can handle 24v ,for example. However, you would want to get a panel that is as much like the factory panel as your portable panel, as possible. 

In both the case of series and parallel, you would likely need a long extension cable to get the portable array in the sun, again, introducing a loss in efficiency.

Personally, unless you will camp in the shade for 5 days, I think a larger battery capacity is generally a better way to go than adding the separate solar. Another thing you can do is a use a spare battery (I use a Goal Zero Yeto 1000) to top off the battery or a generator if you will not be in sun. 

I have rarely been at a site that was not in sun, at least part of the day.