Which Trailer Lock Do You Recommend?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    BTW, we left a message on voice mail with the Brahma Lock company during our first week of use of their lock.  The next day the owner and designer John Clarke returned our call.  He took the time to help us and then revealed that his wife whose voice was on the voice mail recording had passed unexpectantly just 3 days earlier.  Very sad.  He insisted on helping us even though his voice was raw with emotion.  He reported that is what you do when you have a small business.  He still reports no reported thefts while using his lock.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    I met John that same day.  He was very helpful to me also.  Very nice gentleman and a terrible shock with the unforeseen passing of his wife. 

2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

SAM said:

BTW, we left a message on voice mail with the Brahma Lock company during our first week of use of their lock.  The next day the owner and designer John Clarke returned our call.  He took the time to help us and then revealed that his wife whose voice was on the voice mail recording had passed unexpectantly just 3 days earlier.  Very sad.  He insisted on helping us even though his voice was raw with emotion.  He reported that is what you do when you have a small business.  He still reports no reported thefts while using his lock.  

Poor guy. Thoughts to him even though I don't know him. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    I just could not believe that he took the time to return our call considering what had just happened.  Felt really bad for him.
  • rhaspyhonkerrhaspyhonker Member Posts: 33
    I talked to John last year when we first bought the lock.  Super nice guy.  I would be beyond lost without my wife. 
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I just wanted to add in here that I emailed Proven Industries last night with a picture of the coupler (2018 T@B 320 Max S).  Within minutes (even though it was rather late!) Elaine emailed me back to confirm it is the 2178-A model that fits the T@B.

I noticed that it is listed as $10 cheaper on Amazon and mentioned that to Elaine.  She said she didn't know why (turns out it's a 3rd party seller somehow discounting it) but she price matched it for me no problem at all.

I just placed my order with her.  I know the quality of the lock speaks for itself (since I will be essentially boondocking and leaving my T@B alone for extended periods of time I am looking to make it as theft deterrent as possible, I know this lock is likely overkill for others!) but I'd also have to say it's nice to support a family run business that provides excellent service, too.

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    HR_Taly said:
    I just wanted to add in here that I emailed Proven Industries last night with a picture of the coupler (2018 T@B 320 Max S).  Within minutes (even though it was rather late!) Elaine emailed me back to confirm it is the 2178-A model that fits the T@B.

I noticed that it is listed as $10 cheaper on Amazon and mentioned that to Elaine.  She said she didn't know why (turns out it's a 3rd party seller somehow discounting it) but she price matched it for me no problem at all.

I just placed my order with her.  I know the quality of the lock speaks for itself (since I will be essentially boondocking and leaving my T@B alone for extended periods of time I am looking to make it as theft deterrent as possible, I know this lock is likely overkill for others!) but I'd also have to say it's nice to support a family run business that provides excellent service, too.

I have two of these, one for our Outback and one for my little boat. From what I've seen it's the best available. A thief would have to take a long time making a lot of noise to get through one of these heavy duty locks. One hopes that besides being thieves and probable liars those contemplating stealing would be a little lazy,
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Texas_DaveTexas_Dave Member Posts: 18
    I'm using the Fort Knox "puck" style lock for my tongue. ...among other things. 

https://www.ftknoxlocks.com/shop?olsFocus=false&olsPage=products/atwood-plus

• WeBeTabbinWeBeTabbin Member Posts: 6
    I have a Trimax on each wheel. I figure if they want it bad enough to deal with two wheel locks, that's what I have insurance for. I just throw them in the back of the truck when we are Rollin. No big deal.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You can also use them things as defensive weapons when you travel! Those suckers are hefty. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    I installed an alarm, I crank the jack all the way down & if the trailer tong is lifted even 1 & 1/2 degree alarm goes off. If the lid on the propane locker is lifted or side door or clam shell door is open alarm sounds very loud.  
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    I just received a Brahma Wheel Lock that we will use on the T@B 400 we will pick up next week.  They said we would need the flat plate to cover the lug nuts. Can anyone confirm this?  I'm having to check the lock on an airline flight (it's a complicated situation...ugh!) and would rather not have to carry both lug nut plates that came with the lock.

This wheel lock is very well designed and manufactured!
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
    I have the Brahma and do use just the flat plate.  The cone is too small and too high to cover the lugs on the T@B Outback.  Great lock, I feel very secure when leaving the trailer.
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Thanks Bill!
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • gbhaneygbhaney Member Posts: 19
    We have the Proven Industries lock, also -- we decided on it after viewing the very impressive YouTube video. Scary to see how easy it was to breach some of the other popular coupler locks! As HR_Taly mentioned, Elaine was very helpful and responsive. The lock made the trip from FL to NJ very quickly.
    2021 T@B 400 BD.  Silver with black. TV: 2020 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

• BillBill Member Posts: 38
    Looking at security devices for my T@b. Does it make sense to have a wheel lock (Brahma) as well as a coupler lock (Proven Ind.) ? Seems like overkill, but maybe those devious bad guys out there know something that I'm overlooking. How do you folks handle this?
    Bill & Helen; 2017 T@B S Maxx, (Serenity Now!!); TV 2019 Honda Ridgeline,
    Woodstock, Ontario 
    I would like to get the proven industry lock to add to my Brahma lock.  But I'm not in a big hurry as I have faith in the wheel lock.

• WillieontheRoadWillieontheRoad Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2018
    I agree with everyone's comments.  I have a tongue lock (not the most expensive) and a wheel lock.
    Owner where we store our trailer told us that wheel locks are the most important.  Sometimes when he needs to tow a trailer into the shop for service, it has a tongue lock and he gets permission from the owner, he can smash or pry most tongue locks off in seconds.

I went a little bit further for my security.  Don't know if these two items will help me against theft, but I think they will give a would be thief pause to reflect... 

https://www.amazon.com/Lojack-security-stickers-deterrent-tracking/dp/B01GHS8N84

https://www.amazon.com/SA110-Vehicle-Anti-Theft-Alert-Signal/dp/B00CJ9O9AC/ref=pd_sim_263_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CJ9O9AC&pd_rd_r=8QZX3AQ54P7GQMAES54C&pd_rd_w=udCr7&pd_rd_wg=qDaKq&psc=1&refRID=8QZX3AQ54P7GQMAES54C

I mounted this little fake alarm light in one of our port windows with Velcro and the little sucker has been blinking now for three months without a battery change.

2018 T@B 400  Jeep GC
    Alan & Joan Fisher
    Austin, TX
    We have a simple tongue lock with our Brahma and feel comfortable with that.
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Proven on the hitch, Trimax on each wheel and 2 lug nut locks on each wheel and one on the spare. I rather not deal with an insurance claim. :-)
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    We have the Brahma wheel lock and a reasonable coupler lock. We feel totally confident with that. The Brahma takes a bit more time and effort to install, but they are still advertising that no trailer has been stolen anywhere in North America with a Brahma lock on. That fact makes for a good night's sleep. All the time and everywhere. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • BillBill Member Posts: 38
    Here's my first attempt at installing my Brahma wheel lock.  I wasn't able to move it forward/higher on the wheel, and the result is that the two upper lug nuts are not covered. I wondered if it had to do with how I attached the small block to the wheel cover. I phoned John Clarke at the company, and he explained that there are 8 different ways that block can be attached, but I'm not sure I picked the right one. I suspect it will still protect from theft, but I'd feel better if the entire wheel were covered? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
    Bill & Helen; 2017 T@B S Maxx, (Serenity Now!!); TV 2019 Honda Ridgeline,
    Woodstock, Ontario 
    edited April 2018
    @Bill, the Brahma lock is a little tougher than others to install. My husband struggled with it until he read the  NuCamp factory instructions on how to change a tire. Drop the front of the trailer as low as it will go. Extend the rear stabilizers as far as they will go or until they are firmly on the ground, raise the nose until the trailer suspension raises above the tire, but not so far as the tire no longer has contact with the ground or loses traction. Install the lock. The plate never seems snug but does cover all the lugs. Then drop the trailer nose all the way, raise the stabilizers and level the trailer in the normal procedure front to back. Make sure the trailer has been leveled side to side before beginning this procedure. Doing this give you the clearance you may lack just trying to install it while parked and not lifted. Any questions, just ask.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    @Bill, we place the lock on with the upper arm higher on the tire, let it hang there, then hold it and place the lug nut cover.  The lock piece needs to be at the 5:00 position.  
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Teardrop said:
    Are people getting these stolen off their driveways or from campsites?

I use wheels locks, trimax lock and the proven industries lock and a two way re-purposes car alarm with a tilt sensor, proximity sensor and shock sensor.  I seen the video above and have 2 of those locks that is on kijiji now.
    Say what? I have no idea what you are saying but I need it too! Can you give links or examples please?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    gulfarea said:
    I installed an alarm, I crank the jack all the way down & if the trailer tong is lifted even 1 & 1/2 degree alarm goes off. If the lid on the propane locker is lifted or side door or clam shell door is open alarm sounds very loud.  
    Can you give a link to the alarm?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

@Bill, in this photo you can see our lock, and how the plate covers the lugs.
  • NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    I am interested in purchasing a Brahma lock for my new T@B 400, can anyone suggest what size/model is best? I won't have the T@B until July, and I am collecting the essentials for it now. 
    N@VENOTSE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
    SF Bay Area
    I have the Brahma Wheel Lock Model WL001  for the 15” and 16” wheel/tire combinations, BUT I have a T@B Outback.   Not sure about the T@B 400.

• NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    @Bill_Cochrane Thank you, I will contact Nucamp to get measurements to see if that model fits. Thanks for giving me a good starting point!
    N@VENOTSE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
    SF Bay Area