Options

Frame cracks where tongue bolts to frame

Comments

• Options
    ashawashaw Member Posts: 18
    Sorry I'm late to this discussion.  Found cracks on my 2015 CS-S (approx. 9,000 miles) on passenger side.  Nothing visible on driver's side but it's hard to see clearly.  I'm going to ask a welder friend to weld it and then watch it.   Thanks for the heads up, I never would have thought to look  there otherwise!
     Ashaw 2015 CS-S Max. 2016 Kia Sorento
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    @ashaw, sorry to hear you have the cracks. If possible, could you please report the following info regarding your T@B?

Frame build date and S/N (These should be found on a sticker right near where the cracks are on the passenger side. There are pictures and descriptions earlier in this thread.)

Camper build date. (This should be on a sticker on the driver's side of the tongue.)

Thanks!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @jrslad was there a cost to you other than your travel costs?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    jrsladjrslad Member Posts: 20
    I forgot the best part,  NO CHARGE! 
    John & Michelle & JD (Just Dog) 2019 T@B 400 Boondock LTE  towed by a 2017 Toyota Highlander v6, (flat land only) or a 2017 Tundra v8 (when going west)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Great news! Thanks for the follow-up!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    jrslad said:
    I forgot the best part,  NO CHARGE! 
    This reinforces my experiences with NuCamp when I had a couple of minor problems with the two units I have owned. Very glad I decided to buy their trailers. Now, do I want a 400 or do I "NEED" a 400?
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143

Our 2015 T@B S Max was bought new in 2015. We tow it with a 2009 Ford Expedition. Besides a couple of short local camping trips, it has been on two extended trips. The first was in the summer of 2016 when we took it on a two week 3000 mile round trip to New York State and Massachusetts to visit relatives. The second was last summer on an eight week 8000 mile trip across the western U.S. visiting friends and family on the way to Alaska that I have written about here. Therefore I estimate we have around 11,000 to 12,000 miles on the camper. 

This week the snow has finally melted and the ground dried out enough for me to inspect our camper's frame to see if there were any cracks as have been described in the forum. 

Attached are the photos I have taken.

On the passenger side no cracks can be seen on the right hand bolt location, the lower bolts being the only ones visible.  However, very disturbing is on the left hand side the bolt actually seems to be missing or sheared off! Also shown is a photo of the manufacturing label for identification.

On the drivers side a crack can be seen on the lower left hand bolt location. Again only the lower bolts can be seen as there is a plastic cover (covering what I don't know) blocking the view above. What appear to be long cracks are just streaks of the sealer used to seal the plastic cover to the frame and underside of the camper. 

Obviously since we are now living in Alaska, returning to Ohio for service is out of the question. In this forum there have been mentions of repairing (or re-enforcing) the frame connection through welding. This would seem to be the only solution for my situation. I have found a trailer repair shop with welding capabilities in the area that has repacked my wheel bearings. 

I just sent this information with the pictures to Nu-Camp and have asked them the following questions: 

1. Do you have a recommended procedure for a welding solution that this shop could use? 

2. Would you reimburse the cost of such a repair? 

When I hear from them I will post here. 

Keep tuned in! 

Fergie

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I have been really surprised at the low number of trailers reported with this problem to date. Being one of the few lucky ones with it I think it’s time to go out and buy that  lottery ticket. :):):)
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jrsladjrslad Member Posts: 20
    Re, Fergie comments: Looks like the worst example of cracks yet. The multiple cracks on the driver side with none on the passenger side suggests to me that the rails are from two lots of steel, one defective one ok. I recommend you call Ryan Immel at Norco and have a conversation with him. He was very accommodating of me and is anxious to make things right.  His number is 574 262 3400
    John & Michelle & JD (Just Dog) 2019 T@B 400 Boondock LTE  towed by a 2017 Toyota Highlander v6, (flat land only) or a 2017 Tundra v8 (when going west)
  • Options
    Dalehelman and Fergie both have frame S/N's only three numbers apart. They are also the only two with cracks limited to the driver's side.

Not saying it means anything, just that it caught my eye.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jrslad & ScottG

Thanks, I will follow up on those ideas with both Nu-Camp, Norco and my trailer guy.

Meantime after I moved the trailer to a more accessible spot, I was able to get full pictures of the passenger side. It turns out both left hand bolts are missing! You can see right thru the holes! Either they both sheared off or they were never there in the first place. Again I will be including this in my info to the mfgrs.

Fergie

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I copied the same picture twice! Here is the closeup.

Fergie

• Options
    I had overlooked the "missing bolt" detail in your earlier post, but now I get it. Wow!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Those are not conventional nuts and bolts. Google Huck bolts.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Huck bolt or Nuts & bolts...doesn't matter when two are missing at a key location! IMHO.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    Huck bolt or Nuts & bolts...doesn't matter when two are missing at a key location! IMHO.
    I agree.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Update:

I took the T@B into my trailer guy today in Wasilla for wheel bearing service and brake check. Brakes and bearings were in good shape in spite of all the miles. He found the emergency brake cable switch defective and replaced it so it is worth checking when you check the brakes. He also drilled out the two holes for the missing bolts and put in 3/8 inch bolts with lock washers as a temporary fix until we get welding instructions from either Nu-Camp or Norco. He said he saw the frame connection tighten up as he tightened the bolts. Very reasonable price compared to RV service.

Of course we still can't see the upper bolts on the driver's side because of the plastic cover which we now think shields the "J" trap for the shower.

I should mention that he is a trailer guy, not an RV guy. He services all kinds of trailers and U-Haul contracts to him so he is very familiar with frames. If you have this problem and can't get back to Ohio, find such a guy in your area.

Fergie

• Options
    Leeh22Leeh22 Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2018
    Yikes, I somehow never saw this.  Just checked our 2015 Sofitel with date of 04/2015 and sure enough we have cracks on passenger side.  Only about 5000 miles on this one   Now what.   
  • Options
    Leeh22 said:
    Yikes, I somehow never saw this.  Just checked our 2015 Sofitel with date of 04/2015 and sure enough we have cracks on passenger side.  Only about 5000 miles on this one   Now what.   
    Contact nuCamp.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Know need to panic. As long as there are know cracks on the other 6 bolts. Norco advised me that the other 6 bolts are more than adequate to secure the tongue assembly. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Did anyone else with the frame crack also have the bent axle?
  • Options
    @Leeh22
    Please take time to read this thread from the beginning. Most of your questions will be answered.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    @Dalehelman   Not panicked but assume it will get worse given the information about why it happened and would certainly affect resale.  As I read the response from the frame manufacturer regarding brittle metal it appears that welding “ is not the best option” and I can’t imagine having them send a new frame to our dealer and having it swapped by someone who doesnt build the trailers doesnt feel like a great option either.   Given that we also had a bent axle I’m just really disappointed and feeling like this trailer we love so much just might be the proverbial lemon.  Although we got a new axle for that one we had to pay the labor costs.   I have contacted NuCamp to see what options we might have given taking it into the factory isn’t practical from the West Coast.  

Somehow I missed this discussion until I saw a Facebook post today from someone who’s T@B came off the frame while driving down the road.  I realize its a different model and may not be directly applicable but yeah that kinda got my attention.
  • Options
    @Leeh22
    The one on Facebook was a totally different trailer manufacturer and different frame.  
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman Yes I understand it was a different trailer manufacturer, just saying it got me here to find out what the conversation was about currently.   Looks like we are expanding both the time frame, by a month, and adding to the passenger side only, at least for now.
  • Options
    Leeh22 said:
    Did anyone else with the frame crack also have the bent axle?
    @Leeh22 nuCamp replaced my axle and my frame. Just reach out to them, directly. They will treat you right. 

• Options
    @Leeh22, I've added yours to the collection. It is indeed the newest of the frames that I have a record for.

It's interesting (though the relevance remains unclear) that your chassis sticker lists two different build dates. Ususally they are the same, but I've noted this on at least one other trailer.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    tomannitomanni Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, guys, for bringing this to my attention. I just checked and sure enough, cracks on both sides.

T@b Outback 2015 with over 15,000 miles

• Options
    Looks almost identical to all of the others. Where are you located?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun