SYSTEM FAILURE...T@B400

Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
Just to be clear...when the "event" happened on the Alaskan Highway, the T@B 400 and truck separated completely. The ball popped out of the hitch
which resulted in the T@B being dragged a bit by the chains which held. The T@B brake immediately kicked in.

Comments

• Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    Our journey from Massachusetts to Alaska was going beautifully until...our T@B400 became unhitched from the ball on the Alaskan Highway.
    Fortunately, the line brake to the T@B engaged and we came to an ungraceful stop! What happened? The trailer jumped off of the ball...
    Question Time???? WHY? The pin remained firmly and correctly inserted, the cover over the ball remained secure and in place, and the question
    remains WHY?  We were traveling 40 MPH. The road was paved...every condition on this piece of the highway we had encounted at some point on
    the journey before. This incident certainly could have caused us our lives. 

We are aware that years back T@B experienced this issue ... trailer unhitching while in motion. We wonder, has this happened to any other folks
    with the new models of T@B? How this happened remains a mystery to all that has heard of our experience. In Fairbanks, we had all systems checked,
    new tires installed and there is still the question ... What happened?

Hope this generates some good discussion...and perhaps, a look into safety with the hitch of the 2018 T@B400. To say we are now a wee bit weary about our return trip back to Massachusetts from Fairbanks is putting it lightly!
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    That’s a nightmare! Glad to hear you’re safe. How much damage to the T@B/TV? I hope you’re contacting nüCamp and have photos to share with them. I have not heard of this happening without a problem with the hitch or the ball, and am curious if others have had such an experience. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    That sounds pretty scary.  Glad you're ok, but I hope you can find out how that happened.  First time I've heard a first hand account of something like this.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    My two cents.

Assuming
      -  A  -  You have a 2-inch tow ball
      -  B  -   The 'locking/engaging' teeth on the hitch are not damaged.

Then:
    This was most likely pilot error (sorry).  A Yoke Style Coupler in functional order and correctly engaged to the tow ball cannot disengage.  See the reference material below.

Now if the Yoke Coupler were correctly closed but not around the tow ball, that is resting/sitting on top of the tow ball than at some point a road surface bounce or turn would cause the unattached coupler to jump off from its resting place.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @MuttonChops if the pin was in place, the latch was locked, right? That’s always been my cautious comfort-pin in-locked tight to TV.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

The impact was sudden and loud. Alone in the middle of nowhere with no cell service...we expected a great deal of damage from the impact. The T@B held up well...the latch on the bathroom door
    broke and that was the only inside damage that we have observed. Outside, the trailer's wheel hitch was damaged as well as the right tire. Unbeknown...we drove another 600 miles with a tire that was
    nearly bald. The bare tread spot was resting on the ground. (If this should ever happen to anyone...
    check tires completely!) Once in Fairbanks, we saw the tire had been worn to the steel in one section about 6" long. Now, we have the new tires and before leaving Fairbanks, we have an appointment with an RV dealer to check the hitch before heading home.

All in all...we were so lucky. We were safe,  at the time the highway was limited with traffic...a kind
    couple from MN pulled over and helped us. Needless to say, we are very very concerned about the trip home.

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    jgram2 said:
    @MuttonChops if the pin was in place, the latch was locked, right?
    Yes locked, if the teeth 36 of diagram are not damaged so they engage the slots correctly.

Have heard stories, seen youtube's of folks hammering the Yoke latch closed which can bend the teeth.

= = = =

As for the coupler being locked but not around the tow ball . . .
    I have done that at least once while in a rush, now double check.
    For me the error was found before I moved the rig.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @Om3 what a scary experience. I'm so glad you both are ok with minimal damage (except maybe to your hearts)!. Is it possible the latch was already (accidentally) in the locked position when you lowered it onto the ball? Then stuck the pin in and drove away? I know I've tried to hitch with it already locked-ugh.

@Haloo I didn't realize if the ball wasn't properly seated, the latch would actually move/lock. (My experience is it won't move/lock). But thank you for reminding me I should be either trying to lift the trailer or lower the jack once hitched to ensure it's secure. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

For the record...we do check the hitch ball placement and lock every time we set up to go. We 
    certainly do not find difficulty in saying that it was "pilot error". Please remember...we had been driving that day for well over 325 miles before the "event" happened. This is why we are trying to find answers before we hit the road back to MA from Fairbanks. All of the responses are
    greatly appreciated and have given us information that we will share with the repair shop.

Another reason we are a wee bit concerned is that years back T@Bs had some models that what happened to us was happening to many T@B travelers. Please keep thoughts and ideas flowing...
    much appreciated! 
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited July 2018
    So scary!!! Amazing recovery story and I'm glad you noticed the wheel that must have locked up and lost tread as well.

Two things I do after hitching up. I crank the jack so the T@B (or the toy hauler now) lifts up the entire rear end of the vehicle. For the toy hauler I *have* to lift up the trailer tongue and TV up about 5" to put the sway/weight distribution bars on.

Go outside real quickly and check if you have a 2" ball or a 2 5/8" one. 

The next step is to replace your hitch ball anyhow. Maybe your specs are off. It's rare the coupler is the culprit. Final action is to pull your T@B to the local trailer shop and ask what the issue could be (not ness. RV shop). 

One last thing, do you have an extra long hitch or one that fits loosely into the receiver? (Mine is the way on the F150). A ball off-spec and a loose hitch could have been the recipe for disaster. A simple hitch tightener works wonders.

Again, I'm glad you are safe and I am sorry you had to go through that heart-stopping ordeal. Then you had to drive home on pins and needles wondering if it was going to happen again.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I think @Ratkity nailed it about watching the T@b lift up the TV as you crank. I have thought my coupler was properly seated (and I even locked the couple pin) and found it was not. I now listen for that satisfying ka-thunk sound and it is rare that there is a  issue after that sound. 

I am glad you are OK and sorry for your damage. In my case, I was able to order the part for my TV for under $50 and replace it myself.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I had this happen once with a boat trailer while I was driving down a very congested SF Bay Area freeway at 60mph. Fortunately it was a slight upgrade and I managed to bring everything to a halt without any damage. I think that it took about 10 mins to get my heart rate down, though. 
    I my case somehow I had dropped the coupler onto the ball, closed and pinned the latch, but the coupler was not engaged. The “teeth” had not dropped down, so they were on top of the ball when I closed the latch. Ever since then I have always checked to be sure that the “teeth” are under the ball. It’s one of the items on my check sheet. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    For the record....the ball did pop completely off and the truck/T@B were completely separated...(
    The T@B brake was activated and the chains remained crossed and held .
  • HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Om3 said:
    For the record....the ball did pop completely off and the truck/T@B were completely separated...(
    Oh!  If the ball came completely off that is probably a defective hitch, or the ball was over or under torqued on the hitch.  Or there was a problem with the weld.
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If the ball came completely off, there is nothing wrong with the T@B 400.

The tow ball is on the tow vehicle’s receiver bar, not on the T@B 400’s tongue and coupler. 

See what @Haloo said above. See @MuttonChops drawing above. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited July 2018
    Someone here (@Gizmo) reported a loose ball just recently.  Now I understand.  So the ball popped out of the hitch not “the trailer jumped off of the ball”.  This has nothing to do with the coupler.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    We are not sure which one popped. When we got out to check the T@B and truck were separated...
    chains still attached. the T@B was resting on the on its tongue. T@B brake worked! All we can discern is that the T@B was no longer attached to the truck. This is why we have concern about the journey home...what actually did cause this to happen. 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photos from etrailer.com with correct names:

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    @Om3, when the dust cleared, where exactly was the trailer hitch ball? Was it still attached to the ball mount/draw bar on the tow vehicle, or was it still in the T@B's trailer coupler?
    2015 T@B S
    Thank you, Verna! Your help is appreciated...we sent an email to Joe this AM. Because our T@B is
    still under warranty we want to check in regard to having any work done.
    ScottG...the the trailer was off the ball and the tongue of the T@B was resting on the pavement.
    The latch was down and closed with the pin still in place.
    edited July 2018
    Om3 said:
    ScottG...the the trailer was off the ball and the tongue of the T@B was resting on the pavement.
    So the ball was still affixed to the ballmount/drawbar? Is that correct?
    And the pin was still in the coupler latch after the accident?
    I doubt that this is an equipment issue (unless coupler has been damaged by hammering on it - see below). It is more likely a user error.
    It sounds like you had a failure similar to mine; ie, the coupler was not properly engaged on the ball when you set off. You can check to ensure that the coupler is properly engaged by jacking up the tongue of the trailer after you have connected the trailer to your tow vehicle and closed and pinned the latch. If jacking up the trailer raises the rear of your tow vehicle that should be an indicator that your coupler is properly engaged. After my accident I am super paranoid and I reach up under the coupler and physically check that the jaw (or foot in video below) is properly seated below the ball.

Some food for thought:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcyKy6h8Aw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq3f8b37laQ

Here is a coupler that's been damaged by someone hammering on it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKxoC6n_e0

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited July 2018
    Om3 said:
    The ball popped out of the hitch...
    Om3 said:

Do you have pictures?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Marceline...Thank you very much! These clips were very helpful to us. We have NEVER banged or
    hammered the coupler...but, it does give us some insight as to what may have happened. The second clip had very clear and concise tips!  Again...thanks!

SAM said:
    Om3 said:

Yes, I know. He has everyone thoroughly confused with his description of what happened. This is why Verna posted the pix with parts properly identified. It sounds like what he meant to say is that the coupler popped off of the ball. 

Is that correct @Om3 ?

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Marceline said:
    I had this happen once with a boat trailer while I was driving down a very congested SF Bay Area freeway at 60mph. Fortunately it was a slight upgrade and I managed to bring everything to a halt without any damage. I think that it took about 10 mins to get my heart rate down, though. 
    I my case somehow I had dropped the coupler onto the ball, closed and pinned the latch, but the coupler was not engaged. The “teeth” had not dropped down, so they were on top of the ball when I closed the latch. Ever since then I have always checked to be sure that the “teeth” are under the ball. It’s one of the items on my check sheet. 
    Only 10 minutes to get your heart rate down!!?!?! You must have an amazing ticker lol.

When the hitch PIN holding the hitch to the receiver came off because the cotter pin broke - and the utility trailer and entire hitch came off my truck I think I was nearly catatonic for a few hours. lol. The chains failed too. I was only going 10-15 mph and nothing major happened. 

I'm glad you got through your ordeal in SF freeway!! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    I have heard of kids messing with hitch pins and tow bars when vehicle is left unattended at a rest area, gas stop, or restaurant, etc just for fun.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    I have heard of kids messing with hitch pins and tow bars when vehicle is left unattended at a rest area, gas stop, or restaurant, etc just for fun.
    I'm one of those obsessively neurotic people that do "walk-arounds" every time I stop for gas or at a rest stop to stretch my legs. The pins I use are the locking type (mostly due to a prior bad experience that was no one's fault). The major things I check are the chains and if the emergency brake line is unimpeded. I absolutely love my F150's towing package that will do a light check to see if all lights are working. 

It's sad what some kids think is fun! 
    Ratkity said:

Only 10 minutes to get your heart rate down!!?!?! You must have an amazing ticker lol.

When the hitch PIN holding the hitch to the receiver came off because the cotter pin broke - and the utility trailer and entire hitch came off my truck I think I was nearly catatonic for a few hours. lol. The chains failed too. I was only going 10-15 mph and nothing major happened. 

I'm glad you got through your ordeal in SF freeway!! 
    I was a lot younger then. :-)
    The whole episode was crazy and I was truly lucky that there was no serious damage.
    It was a single-axle trailer with no brakes. I was in the second from the right-hand lane but fortunately the guy in the right hand lane slowed down and acted as a blocker, allowing me to very gently steer towards the shoulder. I had been going so fast I had plenty of momentum, even going uphill with my foot off the gas. The trailer had a skidplate under the tongue that was completely ground off and there was a shallow trench down the freeway. 
    Luckily one of the guys who sails with me was in the car. We surveyed for damage and after I had settled down the two of us picked up the tongue and dropped the coupler back onto the ball and we continued on our way to Santa Cruz.
    Ever since then I have been all about checking and double-checking everything before setting off. And then I usually drive half a mile and stop and get out and check one more time. And I'm a big fan of really beefy chains.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi