Options

See what's coming in the new 2021 T@B 320!

MandyLeaMandyLea Member Posts: 52
We just finished creating some glamour shots of the new 2021 model year T@B 320. Usually there are just a few small updates, but this year there are a lot of really great changes! Of course, I had to make a video 😄 Here is a quick look at some of the new awesomeness!

https://mandyleaphoto.com/2020/02/26/2021-tab/

2018 Black T@B Outback | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Love & Light!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Is there a video for the CSS?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2020
    And desk grommets!  I borrowed that idea to power electric coffee making stuff on the kitchen counter without cords everywhere.  So many brilliant improvements!
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited February 2020
    So...
    The final version does improve on some of the things we old design loyalists ranted about with the prototype; it’s interesting to see what’s changed since the prototype video was released. I wish they had had even a pic of the light wood to show the difference. 

The new jacks look like they’ll be an improvement (I wonder if we can retrofit them onto older units?), as does the new front box, and heaven knows any change in the fridge is welcome. I’m glad to see they’ve gone back to making it solar ready as well, that’s one of the aggravations I have with the 2019. Not all of us are skilled at installing our own stuff, especially when it comes to wiring, so having that already done is nice.

But. The cassette is still a deal breaker for me. Like the concept well enough, but personal physical limitations mean I’d be emptying the [removed] thing daily due to the weight or else I wouldn’t be able to lift it out of the camper. That negates any convenience; if I wanted to deal with biowaste daily, I’d have a unit without a bath and just go with a bucket and bags. I really wish they’d made that optional rather than mandatory.

Edited due to inappropriate language —Verna, T@B Admin
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    @VictoriaP ;
      You nailed it with your comments on 2021 changes, fully agree.

Big Picture don't believe very many present 320 owners would buy another . . . most seem to move to larger trailers.  So we aren't the target market.

Small Trailer newbies are the target and things like Cassette Toilets don't generate warning bells for them.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I wonder if the “more robust, functional jacks” mean the stabilizers can be used for leveling?
    As to the cassette toilet, I prefer to flush “it” than haul “it” around.
    Perhaps it’s time for great design minds to develop a cassette toilet which could be used as a flush toilet with a pull of a lever and attaching a sewer hose, or the reverse-a flush toilet that could become a cassette toilet. It could happen.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jgram2 said:
    I wonder if the “more robust, functional jacks” mean the stabilizers can be used for leveling?
    As to the cassette toilet, I prefer to flush “it” than haul “it” around.
    Perhaps it’s time for great design minds to develop a cassette toilet which could be used as a flush toilet with a pull of a lever and attaching a sewer hose, or the reverse-a flush toilet that could become a cassette toilet. It could happen.
    I was actually thinking this morning about the idea of a cassette that could be dumped in place as though it were a black tank. Main issue is that cassettes aren’t designed to use as much liquid, so they might not flow out without tipping as cleanly as a black tank would.

I’m definitely intrigued by the new jacks. Can’t wait for more details like make and model so we can start researching their capabilities and options for retrofitting.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 44
    I do not like the toilet. I don't want to lug a 5 gallon container of crap around looking for a place to dump. The black tank on our 320 has never been a problem for several days and then dumping with a simple 5 ft hose. The split seat back is nice and simplifying the 3 cabinets into 2 smart. Another thing I'm a bit disappointed is taking away the 3 way fridge. I like that I can use propane when boon docking. That said it still is the best little trailer out there. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I am 100% in love. So many things were addressed.

Regarding the casette toilet, I initially had a similar response to many. I have spent some time learning about them and I am convinced the trade off for more usable (maneuverable) space in the wet bath makes it worth it. 

I have a 6 gallon black tank and can make it right around 2 weeks without dumping when boondocking. This would make it possible to be able to last the 2 weeks and then some, without having to tear down camp to dump. 

I dont see much difference between handling this and emptying a black tank, personally. You risk a mess with both. If anything, seems like less to go wrong with the cassette.

The added bonus is that some campgrounds let you use the toilet (have read that some prefer) you dump in toilets. 

I also like ability to tote to the dump station, early, the line forms and to be able to dump at home.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2020
    This couple's video, all about the pros and cons of cassette toilets, also notes the advantage that jkjenn mentions about maybe being able to use Charmin TP.   But overall I don't think I'm a fan of them.

https://youtu.be/0p1UTrtKHJs
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Sharon_is_SAM... it's coming...they supplied Mandy Lea with one of those too...exciting!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @jkjenn...I agree all the new upgrades have made us rethink the cassette...it still wouldn't be our first choice considering we already lug our "grey" stuff 
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    Unfortunately this means the end for me for Nucamp
     At least until I am ready for a camper with no bathroom 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Small Trailer newbies are the target and things like Cassette Toilets don't generate warning bells for them.
    Agree. I knew almost zilch about campers when I first went shopping and didn't care. I just knew that T@B was the one and I'd adapt to the details as needed. I was, after all, moving up from a tent...
    That said, after five seasons with my current set-up I have no interest in lugging around a toilet cassette, or in a fridge that can't run virtually forever on propane. Of course, I have no interest in getting a newer T@B, either.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited February 2020
    lino said:
    If the rest of the trailer suits, it makes sense to just make the bathroom into a closet or pantry. Not a difficult conversion (Mandy Lea & Kendrick have done it with their 400, and others have done it to 320s models for years). Done well, it could be entirely removable to convert back to a bath area when it’s time for resale or later use.

Edit: read that backwards and thought you wanted a U model. Denny16 is correct, go with a 400. I can’t see them putting a cassette on there. Or pick up a 2020 (still some on lots), or a used model.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2020
    Or upgrade to a TaB 400, it still has the black tank toilet.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    lino said:
    If you already own a T@B then how does this affect you? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    Agree. I knew almost zilch about campers when I first went shopping and didn't care. I just knew that T@B was the one and I'd adapt to the details as needed. I was, after all, moving up from a tent...

Agree. I knew very little and I am not sure this would have made a difference to me.

As far as the lugging, no one says you ha e to. In most cases you can still empty at a dump station and pull right up with the T@b and TV. 

Overall, the entire trailer has been significantly simplified for a first time owner.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    nuCamp seems to be catering to those that boondock with the solar, the casette toilet, etc. However, those of us that want to stay in improved parks with water, electric, sewer, really want grey and black tanks. You hook up your hoses when you arrive, and pull the dump levers when needed. I don't ever want a shower in something as small as the T@B, but I do have some ideas in my head about putting a flush toilet in my non-bath T@B. Once I get the opportunity to replace my floor, I'm going to work towards that goal.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    edited February 2020
    I already own a Q model and I still have my little guy 6 wide

changes could impact me in the future 
    I love some of the new mods
    but also love the open space my Q has

I have no interest in converting the bathroom into a closet and feel it’s a waste of space and money.

I realize were one of the few people that actually wants a trailer with no bathroom. It does make me sad that I will most likely not get another NuCamp

I truly love this company
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2020
    No propane fridge?  Bummer!
    Cassette toilet only?  Bummer!
    Maybe trying to create a demand for used T@B 320's, to encourage existing owners to move up to a 400?  What were you thinking, Nucamp?
    Wonder why they didn't survey current owner's opinions?
    Nice to see the improved stabilizer Jack's, split seat backs & upgraded tongue storage, all significant upgrades.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    DougH said:
    This couple's video, all about the pros and cons of cassette toilets, also notes the advantage that jkjenn mentions about maybe being able to use Charmin TP.   But overall I don't think I'm a fan of them.

{YouTube video deleted from quote}

At timestamp 5:22 they hit the primary point; Issue of dumping at a 'full hook-ups' or dump station. NuCamp should include with the purchase a set of  hoses to allow a leak proof & smell proof seal for dumping the cassette to a Standard North American full hook-ups / dump station.

Otherwise, NuCamp is just focused on their Manufacturing Costs and NOT real user experience.
    As noted early (or in other threads) on my recent 36-night adventure One Park refused to accept cassette toilet campers.  A second required they show correct hoses to connect to full hook-ups drain . . . if you don't have the connectors, Good-bye.  Or we can sell you some.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501

At timestamp 5:22 they hit the primary point; Issue of dumping at a 'full hook-ups' or dump station. NuCamp should include with the purchase a set of  hoses to allow a leak proof & smell proof seal for dumping the cassette to a Standard North American full hook-ups / dump station.

Otherwise, NuCamp is just focused on their Manufacturing Costs and NOT real user experience.
    I don’t think that your last comment is either accurate or fair. NuCamp has been incredibly responsive to owners and many of the changes they’ve made have clearly increased costs. You may disagree with the change to the cassette toilet but there are some of us here who see it as an advantage. First, it has a smaller footprint and will make the wet bath feel larger. Second, (and more important) it will increase the options for dumping black water. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I camp at a lot of beautiful parks in California that don’t even have a dump station. I ran into this issue just last weekend. A cassette toilet would make it a heck of a lot easier to get rid of waste. 

Just because this change doesn’t suit you personally doesn’t mean that NuCamp isn’t focused on user experience.  And at the end of the day both us already have our trailers so it doesn’t affect us at all, so I don’t understand why you’re being nasty about it. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Well, it can not be too bad, a cassette toilet is all they use in RVs in Europe...
    cheers
  • Options
    TBH, you don't get an odor-free experience at a lot of dump stations, when you use a black tank. There have been many times that the dump itself smells pretty bad.

nuCamp seems to be catering to those that boondock with the solar, the casette toilet, etc. However, those of us that want to stay in improved parks with water, electric, sewer, really want grey and black tanks. You hook up your hoses when you arrive, and pull the dump levers when needed. I don't ever want a shower in something as small as the T@B, but I do have some ideas in my head about putting a flush toilet in my non-bath T@B. Once I get the opportunity to replace my floor, I'm going to work towards that goal.
    Carol, I think you raise a valid point about people with hookups. But even those who canp with FHU wait until the black tank has been filled sufficiently so that they can get a good flush and and the leave the gate closed to prevent sewer smells from traveling through the hose into the trailer.

When you consider those two things you really aren't experiencing much of an inconvenience. It is not that much more effort to pull the cassette out and dump into the sewer connection at your site than it would be to go dump the black tanks.

The grey tank can still be connected as it is today. 

• Options
    Denny16 said:
    Well, it can not be too bad, a cassette toilet is all they use in RVs in Europe...
    cheers
    The difference is, dumping a cassette in Europe is like using a reverse vending machine. You literally walk up, insert the cassette into a freestanding unit, and the machine does all the work, returning an empty and rinsed cassette back to you a few minutes later. Minimal smell, no possibility of spillage. Cassettes will never be common enough here for parks to install such machines, not with most rigs being behemoths with gigantic tanks.

I get why nuCamp made the change and why some consider it an advantage, I just also have concerns that as they become more common, more and more parks will prohibit dumping them anywhere other than a dump station due to the risk of mess, which will negate many of the advantages. As has been pointed out, it’s already happening.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited February 2020
    jkjenn said:
    TBH, you don't get an odor-free experience at a lot of dump stations, when you use a black tank. There have been many times that the dump itself smells pretty bad.

Carol, I think you raise a valid point about people with hookups. But even those who canp with FHU wait until the black tank has been filled sufficiently so that they can get a good flush and and the leave the gate closed to prevent sewer smells from traveling through the hose into the trailer.

When you consider those two things you really aren't experiencing much of an inconvenience. It is not that much more effort to pull the cassette out and dump into the sewer connection at your site than it would be to go dump the black tanks.

The grey tank can still be connected as it is today. 
    I now deal with a portapotty in FHU campgrounds, and it is a royal pain. Grabbing the gloves, lifting it out, removing the grey drain from the sewer hole, opening the cassette portion of the tank, dumping it, dealing with the possible splash, rinsing it, and reassembling, reinserting the grey drain.

The cassette would be essentially the same. The only thing it saves me is filling the flush water portion of the portapotty. Pulling a handle periodically is much easier.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    @Mouseketab..we are planning on moving up to the T@b by next year...after our 7 weeks in our T@g....our most important things are not having to walk to the bathhouse , too many weird animals out there.. ..and being able to stand up to change...we would have preferred not having to tote but we will probably still use a bathhouse during the daytime anyways...for us this will allow us to set up virtually anywhere for the night...this and a few of the other upgrades is huge...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    The only possible advantage I can see with the cassette toilet would be as an alternative to a limited size black tank when camping more than 3-4 days; then one would otherwise need to either drain the black tank into a separate tank for transport to dump station, or else hook up & tow to dump station.  We are going on two years now with our T@B, and only once came close to being in this situation - we were prepared with a transfer tank but never needed it, because daytime use of park bathhouses helped.  I'd rather use the hose once at a dump station than have to carry & drain a cassette more than once for 3-4 days of camping.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The differences between a PortaPotty and a Cassette toilet are huge, more like night and day, with the later being far easier to dump, less mess and no in assembly or assembly required, other than opening a outside access door, and pulling out the cassette. It closes all its valves when removed and reopens them when re inserted back in the RV. No hauling the whole potty or taking bits apart first.

I think a lot of the negative responses to the cassette toilet is based on the previous bad experiences with the more messy and awkward PortaPotty units.  They are not the same, a cassette toilet is more like the black tank toilets currently in use on most RVs, just the physical shape is different, and many offer the option for different size seats, to accommodate our different size bodies.

A lot of the newer Class B Motorhome s use a cassette toilet these days. With the increase in their sales and use, we may see the auto cassette dump stations getting installed in popular camp grounds, followed by other dump station setups that currently cater to black tanks. I think their is room for both to peacefully co-exists on this side of the pond. Cheers
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I love the changes, especially the split seat, new cabinets, and the 20 gallon fresh water tank.  The new fridge looks intriguing.  I wonder how it works while boondocking?  I have solar, and I've powered an ARB fridge off solar just fine, and the extra capacity along with the freezer is a plus.  The cassette toilet is no issue for me, and perhaps a plus.  I hate hauling black water home (I own a farm and dump on site), but I hate dumping at a public station even more.  The video did not address the AC, but I never use AC, so not an issue for me.

I'm a solo traveler and the T@B 320 suits me more than fine.  I have no need or desire to move up to the 400.  The 2021 T@B 320 is the first model that makes me want to trade in my 2015 320.