Battery Cut-Off Switch

Question - Do you turn your switch to off on your T@B 400 for storage.  I have my T@B 400 plugged into power at my house and do not turn the switch off.  Curious how everyone else handles this.  If I did not have it plugged in I would probably turn the switch off to isolate the battery so it wouldn't discharge.  It would still be a good idea to charge it occasionally during storage to protect the batteries in your T@B.  Thoughts? 

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    If not plugged in or otherwise maintaining charge though solar, etc. Definitely turn off, batteries will be dead in a few weeks otherwise. OTOH with no drain (switch off) AGM batteries have very low discharge and will be OK with no charge for a few months.

There are a number of small loads that are always on with the switch on, CO detector, radio, TV, Alde and maybe others.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    When I have out TaB 400 plugged in, battery switch is on, or else the power converter battery charger would not charge the battery.  When not plugged in, I turn battery switch off.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    2020 BDL, I leave the perko on and let the solar panel do it's thing. I do shut off the 12 volt refer though, gotta say that the 12 volt refer with a compressor is the best RV refer I have had in the 4 RV's I have owned.
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I would not store my trailer plugged it.    I believe it puts unneeded wear on the electric system.   

With a lifetime of boats RVs and motorcycles the risk of cooking the battery is too high.   By the time you find the issue it is too late
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Whipster1, I have had a 320 S for the past 4 years. It is in my back yard and has been plugged in the entire time. We just take the time to check the battery every 2 months or so, and haven't had a problem. We have a typical wet cell battery, and we check the water level in each cell every other month or so. We also check the interior to assure the converter is operating and we have no obvious problems. I  would recommend the same, meaning regular checks of your trailer every 2/3 months or so while in storage, regardless of the age or model of your trailer. Routine checks, routine maintenance, regular observation, etc, just make sense for the care of your trailer. -Denise 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2020
    I've kept ours plugged in most if the time. Battery nearly never needs water, which says to me that the Tab's on-board charger is working properly and not overcharging. 

More recently, I've been keeping the battery switch off and maintaining the charge on our twin 6V GC-2 batteries with a Noco Genius charger.

I prefer that to the on-board charger only because it has an equalizing function of sorts.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • MonicaNOCOMonicaNOCO Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2020
    Ok - newby question here.  I just purchased a used 2014 T@B S.  They told me about checking the cells for water - but I don't recall talking about a cut off switch, or removing the fuse when it's parked.     The 2014 T@B S M@XX owners manual in the manuals thread here states the authors didn't have a cutoff switch, so they remove the battery fuse.  Where is that - and should I do that if the camper is to sit in my driveway for a week before it goes out again?
    2014 T@B 320-S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited June 2020
    The battery switch was not added until 2016 or 2017 models.  You should disconnect your battery anytime it is not in use to prevent phantom drain and battery depletion which will lead to premature battery demise.  The 30 amp fuse is on the positive cable of the battery in a fuse holder.  Just flip off the cap and remove the fuse.  BTW, there is a great list of fuses for our TaBs assembled by member TabAZ.  You can search for Fuses for Newbies or Fuse Finder.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @MonicaNOCO, I agree with @Sharon_is_SAM's comments.  Since you don't have a cut-off switch, removing the fuse is a quick way to kill all 12V power to the trailer.  BUT, be sure your 7-way plug is also disconnected from your tow vehicle since it may be separately sending 12V power to your trailer.  It just depends how your tow vehicle is wired.

When my trailer is in storage, and I am not planning to use it for a period of time, I remove the battery from the trailer and connect it to a battery maintainer in my garage at home.  I use a "NOCO Genius G3500," but there are other similar products available, such as "Battery Tender."  You want one that has a multi-stage charge process that ultimately reaches a "maintenance" level to keep your battery properly charged during storage.  You still need to check the water level occasionally.

Regardless, if you disconnect/remove the battery, then there is no need to also remove the inline fuse (the one @Sharon_is_SAM described above) since there will not be any power going through the wire.  If you prefer to leave the battery in the battery box, whether you choose to use a maintainer or not, an alternative to removing the fuse is to disconnect the wires from the battery posts, which accomplishes the same thing. 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Does anyone know if nüCamp still provides the cut-off switch for free? I was grateful when they did for our used 2015 when we purchased it in 2016.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    A fully charged battery will hold a charge for months.  Unless you need the exercise of lifting a 60 pound battery and hoisting it around, there is no reason to remove it, except for security.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    jgram2 said:
    Does anyone know if nüCamp still provides the cut-off switch for free? I was grateful when they did for our used 2015 when we purchased it in 2016.
    Yes, the cutoff switch is installed as standard on all new builds
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    I’m sorry @Mouseketab, I wasn’t clear. If @MonicaNOCO’s T@B doesn’t have a battery cut-off switch, can she contact a dealer or nüCamp and get a switch for free, to install herself or have it installed?

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    jgram2 said:
    I’m sorry @Mouseketab, I wasn’t clear. If @MonicaNOCO’s T@B doesn’t have a battery cut-off switch, can she contact a dealer or nüCamp and get a switch for free, to install herself or have it installed?
    I am going to guess that they did it for you as a courtesy. It was a new feature they started to add around 2016 and you generally pay for new features.

Parts should run around $30ish dollars. Labor would.probably be normal dealer rate. 

I installed mine, myself, originally.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Thanks @jkjenn

• MonicaNOCOMonicaNOCO Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the photos Sharon_is_SAM!  I'm taking mine in for my tire/axel issue tomorrow, and will ask about getting a cutoff switch installed too.  
    2014 T@B 320-S
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    When in storage (no cover, in secured facility 10mins from home), battery switch is always off. As I understand it, the Victron solar will trickle charge regardless of the battery switch position to keep the AGM's topped off. 

Otherwise, switch is always on...when towing, when boondocking, when on shore power. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    AirBoss said:
    When in storage (no cover, in secured facility 10mins from home), battery switch is always off. As I understand it, the Victron solar will trickle charge regardless of the battery switch position to keep the AGM's topped off. 

Otherwise, switch is always on...when towing, when boondocking, when on shore power. 
    Generally agree but I’m going to try something different the next time I’m camping with hookups. I have a lithium battery and my sense is that my suitcase solar panel does a better job fully charging the battery than the stock T@B converter. So I think I will disconnect the battery and plug in my solar panel for a while before I head home to ensure that I park my trailer in storage with a full charge. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    @Marceline
    Let us know how that works out. Do you store the rig without a cover or under a covered parking spot? Victron panels always exposed? 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    AirBoss said:
    @Marceline
    Let us know how that works out. Do you store the rig without a cover or under a covered parking spot? Victron panels always exposed? 
    I don't have permanently mounted solar panels. When I bought my 2013 T@B used the seller threw in a suitcase setup, so I've been using that. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    @Marceline
    Ah, got it. Hope that works out the way you want it to! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com