New T@b - can't get Alde working

Comments

• jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    He can still just run the Alde for heat to check if it works, it hasn't worked since he brought it home.
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Yup, I just want to check it out in the driveway here.  I'm not checking the interior heat. I have the cover off and have been checking the unit itself and the two black hoses... Ice cold.  So far, I've learned about the fuses in the converter, the glasses fuses in the Alde, the fuse near the battery, the location of tank in the back behind the back cushion, how to use shore power, how to turn on and try to run things with the propane, and how to use the control unit on the wall.  Got the TV hooked up to an antenna, but haven't fooled with the radio much.  I'm learning this from the manuals and your discussions.  I haven't gone into the flushing and adding water yet.. Too cold.. Still have to learn that. I try not to ask questions that have already been asked, or ask stupid ones, but who knows.  I'm sure when I get to the dealer, he will look and say, well here is your problem... You don't have the do-hicky turned on.  
    I shouldn't get too irked.  I just have to remember bad work times.  Like the time we had a steam leak and had to crab walk down a 200 yard long tunnel, a inch of hot water on the floor, dragging a huge pipe wrench along to use on a union so we could put in a new section.... 105 degrees.. Whew..
    Now I feel better..  Sorry, my wife calls me a chatterer...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Well Bob, thanks for the suggestion.  I spent some time trying this with no luck.  So... Going back to the beginning of my journey here... At that time, I had no tester and so I just put both of the spare glass fuses in the Alde.  This afternoon, I picked up a tester and checked the two fuses I had pulled.  One was bad... I decided to check the two replacements.  One was bad..  So, I replaced the bad one and it blew again.  That tells me what? ( I followed proper startup procedure btw).
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Either the fuse was the wrong value or you have a heavy current draw downstream from the fuse. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Look at the element in theglass fuse. Is it melted through or splattered inside? Splattered usually signifies a short. Melt is an overload
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    Tabster said:
    Look at the element in theglass fuse. Is it melted through or splattered inside? Splattered usually signifies a short. Melt is an overload
    A couple of thoughts. First are you on shore power? If so, perhaps replace the bad fuses and try it on LP, instead. Second, what are the settings on your control panel? Third, if on shore power, are you using a surge protector?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,538
    Pages 24-25 of the US-Canada Alde manual (see link below) provides wiring schematics for the boiler and its components--not they they will likely help much in diagnosing the problem.

The two 3.15A fuses appear to individually protect both the "+" and "ground" legs of the 12V leads. I don't know enough about electronics to say if one blowing vs. the other provides any clue as to what the problem might be. That 12V appears to be involved in a lot of things. 

http://www.alde.se/media/110714/v-3010-60-rev-1487-us-can.pdf

2015 T@B S

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Terry, seriously, I think you should go to your dealer. Just bite the bullet and go down there. Call him, get an appointment and let them fix it. Then, with a working Alde, you can learn about it.

With everyone being so helpful and giving you so much information, it's coming down to 3 weeks and you know it blows fuses. This is something that you need help fixing, that most of us would need help fixing, and the dealer needs to help you. If he cannot help, then you'll need to talk to Ed and get with an Alde dealer to get it fixed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I hate throwing in the towel and not being able to fix something myself, but I agree with Verna. As implied in my previous post, there's so much 12V circuitry built into the Alde that diagnosing and fixing that overload would be impractical, if not darn near impossible.
    2015 T@B S

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited April 2016
    What Verna said. Repeatedly blowing fuses is something that should be fixed under warranty.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    Sigh... Okay.... My wife said the same thing... I did take Jenns suggestion and tried to do it one more time, methodically, scientifically with no missed steps, using the propane after making sure fuses were good beforehand.  Verdict.. One more blown fuse.  I thought I could figure this out.  I did learn a lot already.  Thank you all for the helpful tips.  Verna, I'll take your advice.  If you are interested, I'll post back about how this comes out... 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, Terry, we would love how this was solved. Please do get back to us. Tjose little glass fuses do get rxpensive after a while ;). Love your perseverance, but there has to be soneone who knows more about the Alde. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I haven't had the best luck with Alde U.S. (Portland), but have had god luck with Sweden...you might try them for help...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Okay, one last question... I'm waiting for a dealer call back.  I'm thinking what else can it be... Then, I remember that the fuse by the battery is supposed to be a 20 amp.  Mine has a 30, which is good btw.  So I put in the 20.  Alde starts now.. Wow... Then, I notice that the big black plug inside isn't plugged in.  I shut off the unit, and plugged it in.  Small flash.. Lost the fuse.  I figure, must have to have the 12 volt unplugged.  Did that, plugged in the 12 volt cable, flash, lost the fuse.  The last thing to try would be to unplug the battery fuse first, but no more fuses..  Anyway,  after rambling a bit here, what does the plug power?  The pump?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

The "big black plug" you refer to sounds like the 120V line. The 12V line should be attached to the main board, though I don't recall if there is any sort of plug associated with it. The 120V powers the two electric heating elements. The manual indicates it can also power the circulator pump via a 12V relay. (If 120V is not available, the pump can run on 12V only.)

Bottom line, everything depends on 12V, either for direct power, or to operate the relay switches that allow 120V to flow. I'm guessing most of those 12V electronics are buried in the circuit board--as I implied in my earlier post, that's going to be a tough place to isolate whatever is overloading your fuses.

My recollection is that the battery fuse is supposed to be 30A. Regardless, as long as the fuse is intact it will have no effect on the problem you are experiencing.
    2015 T@B S

Nope, just the electric plug that plugs into the two outlet socket inside the box area.  I eyeballed the the connections on the right hand side of the panel, but I didn't see damage and didn't remove them.  Without the unit being plugged in, running on propane, the alde made the familiar gurgle sound that everyone talks about and the black hoses began to warm up, but the moment I plugged in the electric plug ( I sorta missed connecting this), poof, down she went..  And.... I was this close....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    edited April 2016
    Terry, you've found that the Alde works on propane and 12V, but whenever the 120v shore power is plugged in, a fuse blows.

Is your 120v shore power operating correctly? 
    Have you tested the 120v shore power for polarity and voltage level?
    Is your extension cord adequate?
    Have you tried plugging the Tab into another outlet for the 120v shore power?

Curiouser and curiouser... Keep us posted on the mystery.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    No no,  the last tests I tried on "propane" , I wasn't plugged into shore power.   I plugged in the electric plug into the 3 prong outlet,  the power should be coming from the battery.   Then,  fuse is gone and the heat stops.      
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited April 2016
    So TerryV6, do I understand correctly...

When you are unplugged from shore power, you started the Alde on propane, and it worked.

Then you noticed that the big black 120v 3-prong plug near the Alde was unplugged, so you plugged that plug in, and the Alde stopped, with a 12v fuse blown. 

Is that right?

Has it always been the same fuse?

Which fuse?

So, as long as you keep the big black 3-prong plug unplugged, then the Alde works?

If so, then I also think that an outlet tester might help, and tell you if the outlet is wired wrong.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Along the same line of questioning as Chan...

TerryV6, going back to your post of April 7:
    TerryV6 said:
    Well Bob, thanks for the suggestion.  I spent some time trying this with no luck.  So... Going back to the beginning of my journey here... At that time, I had no tester and so I just put both of the spare glass fuses in the Alde.  This afternoon, I picked up a tester and checked the two fuses I had pulled.  One was bad... I decided to check the two replacements.  One was bad..  So, I replaced the bad one and it blew again.  That tells me what? ( I followed proper startup procedure btw).
    When you first blew the fuses described here, was the "big black plug" plugged in at that time, or has it been unplugged all along?
    2015 T@B S

No,  I always had everything connected.   Only the one time did I forget to plug the unit into the outlet.   And that was the time I got heat.   Also,  I know,  using "Big black plug"  sounds dumb,  but it's the only power plug under the seat.   I'm all hooked up and ready to go tomorrow to see the dealer.   I have everything set for my demonstration.  The fuses are good and all you have to do is plug in the 12 volt connection.   I found I don't even have to try to use the control panel,  all those settings are off.  
       At about 12 mpg with the camper,  and going 110 miles down and then returning,  I was hoping I could fix it myself.   I might snag the sales guy and have him show me the steps for getting it ready to go later this Spring..  Let you know what happens... 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Nothing dumb about "big black plug"--I would call it sufficiently descriptive.  :-)

Good luck at the dealer and be sure to let us know what you find out. Based on what you've told us, I'll throw down a nickel it's something to to with the circuitry for that 12V/120V circulator pump!  
    2015 T@B S

Well, back from our state capital... I now have a working heater.  The information I have to pass around was muddled.  They had called Ed, and perhaps there was an issue with an improperly wired ground? Which was done with a number of them apparently.  They would have to look...The service person tore into the back of the converter and some of the connectors came "loose?".  I heard him say, this shouldn't happen...., soooo... I backed out and waited in the store.  The people there are always very friendly.  You'd get a kick out of the store layout.  It's kind of like one of those old mom and pop tv repair stores, parts everywhere, and they "know" where everything is.  The owner is into collecting Coleman camp gear and there are all types of model year lanterns hanging from the ceiling.  Last time I was there, they were having a collectors get together in the back...
     Anyway, service man came back in, took me outside and we started it up.  With that, he said, happy camping and went on to his next job..

Thanks to all for the help.  Plenty more to learn now...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Terry, thanks for the update! I'm so glad you have heat and all is well. What a relief!! I'm glad you have a great service place. It sounds like a wonderful place (I have 2 rare Coleman single mantles myself). Now.... where you camping next?? :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Terry, so glad everything is fixed! I had a bad ground in my new T@b, too, and the issues showed up while I was about 2,000 miles from home. Thanks to Camping World in Golden, CO, the problem was fixed and I was on my way to Moab!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    There has to be a simpler heating system available somewhere.
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ramrod - None as nice and as efficiant. Remember, the forum is not representative of problems. This is the place to bring them up and try to get answers when you do have a problem. I've been on the road for 19 months and the Alde has just been a dream system.
    I love the Alde.

Thanks for the update Terry. I wonder if it was mainly a bad ground. Bad grounds can create all sorts of confusing symptoms.

Hooray! Have fun!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Ramrod said:
    There has to be a simpler heating system available somewhere.
    It isn't terribly complex, just poorly documented. I wouldn't trade the Alde for anything.... well, maybe if someone was offering me big bucks. ;)

• NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    The Alde was the #1 reason I chose a T@b. Love it. It has always worked great. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.