Options

What I've Learned So Far

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Verna, Jason's # @ Paha Que please! I have a zipper issue with the screen in our tent. Thanks, Eric
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited July 2016
    I still need to call Jason - Have two super glued and taped but they've been that way since last fall - It's called professional procrastination :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Paha Que 858-748-3762. (California time)
    www.pahaque.com 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna, thanks for the #, you're the best! PXL, it's called McGiver! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I definetly McGivered it :-)
  • Options
    I did the same thing on the screen when it got a rip in it. Used a screen patch, and super glue. Works like a champ. Oh, and don't forget to re-stock on duct tape! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Never leave home without it :-)
  • Options
    Yup!, and a spare!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    By the way, PXL, I'd tell you how the hole got there, but it's classified! [wife doesn't even know]
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    There's secrets and then there are SECRETS :-)
  • Options
     ;) 
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    OK, a little history here…  Can't resist, Jenn, due to your dog, but maybe you already know this.

In a previous lifetime, I was a Chinese translator during "our little Vietnam adventure" and am still quite fluent.

Did you know: "Shih Tzu" is Wade-Giles romanization for the Chinese characters for your dog's type, 西施.  It galls me to hear the way Americans usually pronounce it (sounds somewhat profane)! It's Chinese for "Lion" and if you look at the stone guardian lions at Chinese temples you'll see the resemblance.

Actual (Mandarin) pronunciation is more like "shurr-dzuh" (run together like a two-syllable word), which is, in fact, Mandarin for Lion.

Just thought you'd like to know!
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    ...and our dog is a cross between a Jack Russell and a Shih Tsu, so she's a Jack Shih.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    irvingj said:
    OK, a little history here…  Can't resist, Jenn, due to your dog, but maybe you already know this.

In a previous lifetime, I was a Chinese translator during "our little Vietnam adventure" and am still quite fluent.

Did you know: "Shih Tzu" is Wade-Giles romanization for the Chinese characters for your dog's type, 西施.  It galls me to hear the way Americans usually pronounce it (sounds somewhat profane)! It's Chinese for "Lion" and if you look at the stone guardian lions at Chinese temples you'll see the resemblance.

Actual (Mandarin) pronunciation is more like "shurr-dzuh" (run together like a two-syllable word), which is, in fact, Mandarin for Lion.

Just thought you'd like to know!
    More importantly, they were inspiration for the creature commonly known as an Ewok. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    *snort* Coffee.on.keyboard.Overwhelmed.with.cuteness.and.squee!!!!!! LOL
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Part 5

1. Solar in July in the SW rocks. I am  getting pretty decent results without having to be a mizer.
    2. I couldn't work without my cell phone booster. At those times of day when data goes weak, I plug it in and what a difference. My signal goes from 3g to nothing at my current location but with the booster I get 1-2 bars of 4G, which is enough for most things. I leveraged the library yesterday for a large upload.
    3. Face the door of the T@b away from the prevailing wind direction. This will help prevent the fridge from blowing out in LP.
    4.  A wildfire can explode into a huge inferno rapidly (Hayden Pass fire). Not wise to leave the pup alone in the T@b when boondocking. If in a CG leave a key with the host in case of emergency.
    5. Sweet Pegaleen is as sweet as the Mr. of @Mr_Mrs_Gnome has alluded to, here. :)
    6.  The T@b can jack knife further with the Grand Cherokee than a Wrangler.....grrrr. :angry:
    7. Wildflowers change rapidly. Go back to the same spot with 2 days and they are totally different.
    8.  Some smaller towns still have Fedex/UPS locations and will let you pick up your package there. General delivery works well at the post office.
    9. I am missing a hot, humid, but rain less summer back east. I couldn't be happier. It has been into 40s over night this week at 8,000'.
    10. No one plays Pokémon Go in the mountains. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    1) Solar works great year around if you have sun - you get faster charging this time of the year though. I'm good to go to fire up the inverter and charge all my devices by 10:00am whereas it might be 1:00pm in the winter.
    3) Also protects your tent or visor.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    1) Solar works great year around if you have sun - you get faster charging this time of the year though. I'm good to go to fire up the inverter and charge all my devices by 10:00am whereas it might be 1:00pm in the winter.
    Yes...noticing increased amps produced earlier in the day now in May.
    3) Also protects your tent or visor.
    Absolutely....and keeps your rug in place, better.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Part 5 (On Vacation)

1. I had a flat tire at Zion and the Good Sam rep had a hard time finding the address for Zion National Park. Really?  Good Sam guy showed up to change fee a flat tire at Zion in less than an hour and the local Shell fixed it for under $18. 

2. If you find yourself at Zion in weather over 100 degrees, do yourself a favor and drive up to Kolob Terrace Rd where it is about 20-30 degrees cooler and beautiful.

3. Monument Valley is an even bigger tourist trap than it was four years ago. Oh, and the website does that say it, but no pets are allowed at the CG. Rocky might have broken that rule. 

4. Checkerboard Mesa at Zion is a great 0lace to spot Bighorn Sheep.

5. Rocky prefers colder weather, but a/c will do.

6. Wildfires sprout up, quickly. We had to change our GCNP camping plans s from boondocking to a FS CG (Demotte.)

7. Mountain Lion tracks are large.

8. The CG at Kodachrome Basin is awesome.

9. My fridge works fine on AC. RV dealer said the Norcold on LP stinks at high altitude.

10. My nerves are a little thin with the international guests in our parks as I watch them approach wildlife, cut in line ahead of me, walk in front of  me and about 20 other photographers to pose for 20 min it's of portraits,  and committ other faux pas. I better never hear another word about how ignorant American tourists are, ever, again. The rest of the world is just as guilty. 

• Options
    3) Monument Valley - Yep. And to think both it and Antelope Canyon used to be free.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    3) Monument Valley is run by the Navajo Nation.  I suppose they try to get as much income as possible for the benefit of their people.  Employment opportunities are kinda slim other than tourism.  It does have big red rocks, and big open sky, and...well, that's about it.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Back when they were free, people started trashing and leaving the places a mess - The Navajos took over and keep everyone in line - Esoecially in Antelope Canyon ... From what I read anyway.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Back when they were free, people started trashing and leaving the places a mess - The Navajos took over and keep everyone in line - Esoecially in Antelope Canyon ... From what I read anyway.
    It's still trashed and lots of stray dogs. There appears to be little enforcement of any rules. The cabins they built in front of the Mittens was the kicler.

• Options
    Ahhh - I passed it up on my way thru the area this spring.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Not to be off subject, but Jenn you
    mentioned in a previous post about trailer sway, pulling with your Grand Cherokee.  I have never had trailer sway with our 2 dr or current 4 dr Wrangler, even with passing speeds up to 80 mph.  My normal travel speed is 60 mph.  In the future, we looked at getting a larger trailer and we decided the tv would be a Grand Cherokee.  The trailer would have load leveler hitch and sway control.  Do you think, now with miles towing with your Grand Cherokee, it would be a good choice or a concern?

• Options
    I seem to recall lyrics from a song of my youth that went, "They took all the trees and put 'em in a tree museum, and they charged the people a dollar-and-a-half just to see 'em."  Every time I pay to see a part of Nature, those words play in my mind.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG, Joni Mitchell, and then they put up a parkin' lot!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Now that I think about it, a buck fifty wouldn't be such a bad deal these days. :)

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG,our last trip to Swan Lake only cost me $4.00 with my senior pass, $24.00 for 6 days is a bargain anymore!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    BLM campgrounds outside both Parker, AZ and Lone Pine, CA are $2.50/night senior rate...
    But, I'll take $4 :-)