Options

What I've Learned So Far

12346»

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Simple shoe buffin rag - the yellow/orange, soft fluffy thingy ;-)
  • Options
    Jenn - Cuious, how often did you hae to use your cell phone booster? As I've mentioned, in the areas I've traveled so far, I haven't had to use it much.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Cuious, how often did you hae to use your cell phone booster? As I've mentioned, in the areas I've traveled so far, I haven't had to use it much.
    Nearly every afternoon wile I was working. The service would almost die in the late afternoons. It would give me just enough boosts for calls and Internet.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    Jkjenn...thanks for affirming the ultealeather aka pleather.  We have 3 Corgis and that cushion covering was a requirement.  We get to pick it up this weekend.  Hoping the cushions work as well for us.   :)
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I too travel with two dogs. You made the right choice.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    T@Bnero said:
    in the clamshell. I just turn over the window cushion to have the vinyl side up for my pup

That would never do. If Rocky is not on my lap, he is leaning right up against me most of the time.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jkjenn said:

That would never do. If Rocky is not on my lap, he is leaning right up against me most of the time.
    Sunny is the same way. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I laughed out loud at #9 (maybe because I can relate).
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2016
    I laughed out loud at #9 (maybe because I can relate).
    I certainly can relate, too!  I made up for it when I got back home this spring ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    FuzzyYanniFuzzyYanni Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2016

What is the use for this sprayer ? (Sorry if this is already discussed somewhere, this thread is massive)

"I know one thing, I know nothing."
  • Options

What is the use for this sprayer ? (Sorry if this is already discussed somewhere, this thread is massive)

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3139/vernas-best-suggestion-yet#latest

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    jkjenn said:

2. I couldn't work without my cell phone booster. At those times of day when data goes weak, I plug it in and what a difference. My signal goes from 3g to nothing at my current location but with the booster I get 1-2 bars of 4G, which is enough for most things. 

I also work when traveling. What booster unit works for you?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    I think we both have the WeBoost models. My experience is the exact opposite of Jenns. Not saying they don't work but it more than likely depends on where exactly you are/travel. It has not worked more than it has for me. Luckily I've found Verizon coverage to be good 85-90 of the time.
    Even though I'm retired, I'm a news and info junkie so online most of the time - Probably more than most who work from the road. It's my main line for info, entertainment and communications.
  • Options
    jkjenn said:

2. I couldn't work without my cell phone booster. At those times of day when data goes weak, I plug it in and what a difference. My signal goes from 3g to nothing at my current location but with the booster I get 1-2 bars of 4G, which is enough for most things. 

I also work when traveling. What booster unit works for you?

I use the Weboost 4S. There are a couple of things to not. Antenna choice and placement can affect performance and second, you have to have some signal to work. It won't take you from nothing to a bar or two.

PXLated said:
    I think we both have the WeBoost models. My experience is the exact opposite of Jenns. Not saying they don't work but it more than likely depends on where exactly you are/travel. It has not worked more than it has for me. Luckily I've found Verizon coverage to be good 85-90 of the time.
    Even though I'm retired, I'm a news and info junkie so online most of the time - Probably more than most who work from the road. It's my main line for info, entertainment and communications.

We don't necessarily camp in the same areas, so that could be a part of it. I plan where I am camping when I know I will be working, at locations where I am sure I can get signal that will be workable with a booster. I need to be able to host webianrs, so I need a decent connection. I have also, for brief periods, been known into town to borrow the local library's signal.

I have been contemplating a directional signal as it seems those who use it get stronger signals. There is a little more work involved to make sure you are pointing it in the correct direction, but it sounds like it might be worth it.

One thing I noticed is that speeds tend to really drop in the afternoons and has at points, become unusable, even when I was getting strong service. I could start the day without the booster but needed it by the afternoon. I would have been sunk without it.

• Options
    Ya Jenn, I plan mine also - I've been known to make a couple of loops thru the campground monitoring the signal and picking a spot based on that :-)
    As Jenn mentions, if there is no signal, it won't get you one :-(
    Also, as Jenn mentions, antenna placement is a factor so I also have an antenna pole with a grounding plate.
    TabberJohn - There is a thread dedicated to cell boosters with much more info - Search (upper right) for "booster" and you should find it.
  • Options
    I also recommend reading up on them at the Technomadia website where you can get more information on them than you will ever want.

• Options
    TabAgilityTabAgility Member Posts: 9
    jkjenn said:
    Part 1

I am sure I will have more to add, so I thought I would call this part 1. I have my first 2 weeks of boondocking under my belt now and I thought I would do a quick update on what I have learned so far. I didn't set out to come up with 15 random things, but here it is. :)
    1. My planning has paid off, so far. My boss did not even realize I had left for Colorado, yet, until the end of my second week when he asked when I was leaving for Colorado and I told him I was here. Technology has worked in my favor. I hosted a webinar with streaming video today and marveled at the amount of technology that all worked as it should for that to happen. Solar has been awesome.
    2. T@bbers are awesome people, especially the ones in Colorado. I have met a few in person already, and they are all incredible people!
    3. The Buena Vista library has awesome Wi-Fi. I drop into town occasionally to either do large uploads or update my apps. The Wi-Fi in BV is much better than the service at my local library and it does not require a library card.
    4. BV has some very nice parks in town, complete with picnic tables, bathrooms, and trash receptacles. These are nice for stopping for lunch, letting Rocky exercise in grass (hard to find), and getting a good hand washing in. They also have free potable water at their visitor center. Stick a little donation in their jar inside to thank them!
    5. It took me 2 weeks, but I finally feel organized. Part of this was that I ran out of time when I was packing the T@b to begin with, but I finally have a clear floor and Rocky is very pleased with this.
    6. Lighting at 10,200' (Leadville) is really something to behold.
    7. The Arkansas River Headwaters area is beautiful - I did not anticipate how much I would enjoy it.
    8. The Rainbow Family and others like them are ruining boondocking along the front range. Both Larimer and Boulder counties are having problems with these groups. They are staying longer than 14 days, they have no money and are trashing the campsites. It's a shame. It reminds me of the communes that were in the hills around my community. Those were unsafe for children and these appear to be as well. I hope Colorado finds a solution, quickly so that it does not lead to the NFS shutting sites down or starting to charge for my sites.
    9. I am really glad I switched to Ultraleather upholstery before this trip. It is so easy to clean and when your dog decides it is fun to roll around in the dust, every little bit of help is appreciated! Seriously, it is very easy to clean and very comfortable.
    10. I spill water almost every day. Either I kick Rocky's dish, I drop my cup as I am filling it, or some other mishap. Microfiber towels are the bomb.
    11. My 2, 5-gallon portable waste tanks are great and give me the space I need to last 2 weeks. Black tank also lasts just about 2 weeks for me. I think I can stretch it better by doing a better job taking advantage of pit toilets along the way as I am out.
    12. I sleep really well in the mountains. I wondered if I would get a little spooked being by myself, but it has been great!
    13. Streaming Sirius radio from the Internet does not use a lot of data and it works for breaking news events or sports events - like listening to the Penguins win the Stanley Cup!
    14. The Alde is a dream for heating, when it is not loud.
    15. Propane lasts a really long time - yeah!

Tim & Michelle - Raleigh, NC

2017 T@B Max S:   @gility cott@ge on the go!

• Options
    #15. Torus splash proof water bowl.  Kinda pricey but may be worth it. Also has filter. http://www.mightymitedoggear.com/dog-supplies/torus-water-bowl

http://messymutts.ca/product-category/feeding/bowls-and-diners/ - the silicone base keeps water fromspashing on floor, keeps it from sliding around, and comes in fun t@bby colors. I just ordered a single one to use for water in our new t@b. Will let you know how it works..

Neither solves where to put it, but may keep spills to a minimum. I'm also thinking about trying a waterer with a nozzle-like use In a crate. Just have to figure out how/where to mount it. 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Jenn, thanks for all the great tour info! For a great dog water solution check your big box pet shop for doggie water bottles(I have no clue how to add a link...) Think giant hamster cage bottles and you've got the picture. We put one in each boy's crate here at home, but there is no reason you can't mount one in your T@B with something like the fire extinguisher strap or velcro or something. No open bowl to kick over, and the boys have no trouble getting water when they need it. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    #15. Torus splash proof water bowl.  Kinda pricey but may be worth it. Also has filter. http://www.mightymitedoggear.com/dog-supplies/torus-water-bowl

http://messymutts.ca/product-category/feeding/bowls-and-diners/ - the silicone base keeps water fromspashing on floor, keeps it from sliding around, and comes in fun t@bby colors. I just ordered a single one to use for water in our new t@b. Will let you know how it works..

Neither solves where to put it, but may keep spills to a minimum. I'm also thinking about trying a waterer with a nozzle-like use In a crate. Just have to figure out how/where to mount it. 

Thanks, but I often step in it, so it would still dislodge water. :(
    Jenn, thanks for all the great tour info! For a great dog water solution check your big box pet shop for doggie water bottles(I have no clue how to add a link...) Think giant hamster cage bottles and you've got the picture. We put one in each boy's crate here at home, but there is no reason you can't mount one in your T@B with something like the fire extinguisher strap or velcro or something. No open bowl to kick over, and the boys have no trouble getting water when they need it. Good luck!

I have often wondered if I could get him to use it. He was afraid of his reflection in the stainless steel water bowl when he was a wee pup, but is slightly bolder now. ☺

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Jenn, the bottles are white semi clear plastic, the nozzle end is metal. One of our pups loves his, the other tolerates it, preferring a water bowl. We are still T@B shopping, so they have no idea what fun they are in for! (OK, us, either I think!)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    Hey Jenn... Got a question for ya that has nothing to do with this thread, although this is one of my favorite posts to follow in the forum- thx for sharing all you have learned.

Can you tell me a little about your cushion upgrade.  Did you order new cushions or just have yours re-upholstered?  Are they more comfortable?  Do you think the upgrade was worth it?? I currently have the outback upholstery & travel with my dogs... cleaning sucks. 
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2016
    One thing I did learn this last trip out (had me puzzled for a day or so) is that water WILL come up through the floor vent beneath the Norcold (when the Norcold vent fan to the outside is running) in what I'd classify as driving/extreme rainstorm type weather conditions while traveling on the interstate.

I'd noticed some water collected along the door (inside the trailer) after a massive rain event, and since we drove on this trip in three days of extremely heavy/forceful/driving rain it became apparent that there was an issue and I contacted the factory about it.  Ed Kauffman said it could possibly be entering up through the floor vent (beneath the Norcold unit) and I did some further investigating, took out some collapsible kitchen bowls that were sitting in this area and that had collected some water inside of them which puzzled me and placed a folded towel over the floor vent area to experiment as we had another approaching pattern coming at us.  

I found out that this in fact was the culprit and that during an extreme/driving rain situation the turbulence created beneath the trailer (upward air flow generated) will indeed drive water from the road upward and allow it to enter under the Norcold unit.  By placing a folded towel over this area it did eliminate my prior problem and everything stayed dry.  I do plan to revisit this area and will consider fabricating an extended cowling from the existing floor vent shroud, back beneath the trailer.  I might use some thin aluminum sheeting to accomplish this mod and will see what happens from there.  

As a side note the trailer is otherwise dry and free of water and we have never had any water intrusion issues into the trailer.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Hmmmm - I store my jack crank in there so am in at every stop - Never noticed any water - Been in plenty of rain but evidently not enough of a deluge.
  • Options
    http://designerpeteatery.webs.com/
    Not sure where it could be installed (and is expensive), but not quite so easy to step in. We got our messy mutts bowl with the silicone shell. Thanks to our friend Matthew, had to cancel our first real outing, so haven't tested it yet. hope all our fellow tabbers in the SE are safe and dry. 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    I think you could stick it to the outside of the shower door, rather than ding the cabinet doors.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM, Good idea!  I actually think I've seen one meant to be stuck on. Will have to look thru my Pinterest saves.