Options

What I've Learned So Far

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photomom said:
    Ahem - Alfredo sauce is just butter, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Get a wedge of decent parmigiano reggiano when you're at a good grocery store and you can get butter and cream anywhere.
    Ahem---the jar is easier. Now, if you want to talk about scrollsawing.....I do that from raw wood to finished product ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Could you mount some kind of hinged bracket somewhere on the wood surrounding the benches that would hold a water dish?  In one of the corners?  That way it would be harder to tip/ run into.  You could remove the dish and flip up the holder for travel.  Like those mountable cup holders.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Verna said:
    Photomom said:
    Ahem - Alfredo sauce is just butter, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Get a wedge of decent parmigiano reggiano when you're at a good grocery store and you can get butter and cream anywhere.
    Ahem---the jar is easier. Now, if you want to talk about scrollsawing.....I do that from raw wood to finished product ;)
    I sense a trade in a meet-up! Homemade Alfredo sauce for some artful scrolling... Gotta love the barter system!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Costco has containers pf pre-shredded parmigiano-reggiano, but it takes up more space in your fridge. I put a smidge of nutmeg in my Alfredo and some salt & pepper.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Costco has containers pf pre-shredded parmigiano-reggiano, but it takes up more space in your fridge. I put a smidge of nutmeg in my Alfredo and some salt & pepper.
    We'll just have to do a taste test between your's and Photomom!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Like I said, not making it from scratch.  ;) if they don't have more than 2 types of Alfredo, they aren't going to have parmigiano reggiano. I will be at a good grocery store the next time I am near an Olive Garden.  =) 

RZRBUG said:
    Found a Stihl branded pump sprayer at the local feed store.  It's pricey, but built like a tank, so to speak.  Stihl makes all those great chain saws, weed eaters, etc.

The dog bowl problem is just an inherent hazard in a small floor space.  If I know I'm going to be moving around a lot (cooking, etc.), I put it on the counter until I'm done.  I have been tempted to try those slightly raised platforms.  Seems it would take more of a kick to turn the bowl over.
    Yes, but the counter is already full when I am cooking or washing dishes. Maybe the shower floor would work, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Life is too short to eat bad food.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Life is too short to eat bad food.
    I agree. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Photomom - Good  luck if your really out there. A jar under the bench is the only sure thing :-)
  • Options
    Roadie_ORoadie_O Member Posts: 40
    I live in a rural community in IA, and am super excited that they are building a Hometown Shopko here to open in August. Do they have RV supplies at all?
  • Options
    Roadie_O said:
    I live in a rural community in IA, and am super excited that they are building a Hometown Shopko here to open in August. Do they have RV supplies at all?
    None that I saw. 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    #5: re picking campsites, anyone tried leaving the Tab at the first good site you find, and then cruising the CG for the 'best' site? We've never taken the time, but have been disappointed with what we've taken (often grabbing the first one that seems acceptable, out of fear that we'll miss our chance)...

RZRBUG, This one?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Part 3

1. A good way to avoid getting your credit card data stolen at the gas pump is to buy gas gift cards. I cashed in airline miles for gas cards this year and realized on tge trip out that this was probably a good practice. The sane coyld ppy to restaurants and grocery stores 

2. The weather forecasts for mountain regions are lousy, especially, hourly.

3. If staying for a couple of weeks in an area, sign up for the local grocery cards. I save on gas by earning rewards at City Market and some stores require their card to get sale prices.

4. Rural pet grooming appointments need to be made further in advance.

5. Being able to check my battery charge level via bluetooth is really awesome.

6. It isn't hot when the sun doesnt shine, in the mountains. This is not how it is in Pittsburgh.

7. I feel like the area where I am camping now could be prime mountain lion habitat. Very subjective, but I have learned not to disregard these gut instincts. I am very vigillant eith Rocky. I have also noticed haws circling a couple of times, in which cases, I picked him up. No bear sightings, yet. I have seen a heard if Bighorns a couoke of times and come across plenty of elk scat, but no sightings of the creature, itself. I have seen hubnreds of deer and one marmot.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    1) Or just get some cash off the card at Walmart at regular interval.
    3) You can't believe the number of cards I have.
  • Options
    Jenn, City Market is part of the Kroger chain -- Fry's in AZ,  Ralph's in California, King Sooper in Colorado (along with the smaller City Market), Kroger's in Indiana, Southern Ohio, and Texas. And a few more. One card is good at all. I just got 20 cents off per gallon of gas yesterday because the points from last month will expire this week and I haven't planned any trips.  You normally get 3 cents off per gallon just for using the card. 

I have a leather leash that Is attached to Sunny's collar. If nothing else, it's a way for me to grab her from 6' away. She's gotten used to it over the past two winters. Plus, it's a good way to see whether she's laying under the truck or the T@B. And, no, the Prima Donna cannot untangle herself!

Yes, rural pet grooming is challenging. Many groomers try to trim Sunny like a poodle--she's a Shih Tzu!  I try to remember to take a photo with me of how she looks after grooming. I found a good groomer in Yuma, I wrote her notes down on how she trims her, and I went out of my way to have Sunny groomed there the 2nd time this past winter. 

Many of the gas stations had security tape strips on their locking key pads. If it was tampered with, I went elsewhere. 

My lawn guy and I were comparing weather apps today. Dark Sky is no longer free, but it will tell you with about 95% accuracy how far away the rain is. WU (Wunderground) has a recording station less than 2 miles from me and has very up to date radar. The Weather Channel free version has radar that is up to an hour old--I don't use it as much as WU. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Chan, yes, but I should warn you that although this one is well built, the nozzle is not adjustable.  It mists only, which I like.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Another good, up to date weather app is "Storm" - Has a lot of data about a location also like average highs/lows for the date etc. Made by the same peple that do WunderMap (WU).
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Although I've yet to have a problem using my credit card at the gas pump, my brother had someone fill up on his card right behind him.  I'm not sure how it was possible, but he did not realize it until he got his statement.  For that reason, I always press the Cancel or Clear button after my receipt has printed.  If it doesn't print, I go inside and get one, then press the button before leaving the pump.

What I've learned so far?  Reading about camping makes me anxious to get going. Sort of like watching the Food Channel (yes, I do sometimes) makes me hungry.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    90 minutes after my sister left for Alaska, I got notification her debit card had been compromised. Grumble, grumble....No idea where, but it was before she left.  

Because her mail is being forwarded to me, the new card would not get to me because they cannot be forwarded. So, after getting the standard answers for 9 days, I told her to tell the fraud department that she was staying on the phone until they figured out how to get her a card. Ah ha!  My name is on her account. I went to the bank, they issued her a new card and I overnighted it to her. That problem was solved for a mere $47.52 overnight charge from Indianapolis to a small town in Eastern Washington.

A whole nuther story, yet to be finished, is her transmission that quit in Canada.......  Even the taxi driver she used today knew of her predicament.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    swei0009swei0009 Member Posts: 18
    If you are in an area with Exxon stations you can get a SpeedPass -- it's a little fob that you attach to your keys.  Wave the fob at the pump, it authorizes, you get gas and drive away.  Works inside the store too if you need an emergency RockStar.  Not a perfect solution, but a way to avoid card skimmers sometimes.
  • Options
    When I cashed in my air miles, I picked several different gas brands based on my recollection of prevelant brands in different regions. It worked oyt well. 

I knew City Market/Krogers/King Soopers wad one but fid not realize the itgers. We have Gia t Eagle and Shop N Save at home, which are regional, only. Some City Markets are bigger than others. The one in Moab is pretty nice.

I have lost my debit card while in Colorado, before. What a pain. My bank wouldn't mail to a different address. 

• Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    Jenn, we're leaving for Colorado day after tomorrow.  You have worried me a little about the Rainbow folks.
    We're mostly going to be in Southern Colorado mostly south of highway 50.
    You think we'll have issues?  Or are they mostly sticking to the east side of the mountains?
    Last thing I want to do is end up in the middle of a group like that!
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    I just read that this gathering will be held in Vermont (and not Colorado) from July 1-7.
    Best news I've heard all day!
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    EWizard said:
    I just read that this gathering will be held in Vermont (and not Colorado) from July 1-7.
    Best news I've heard all day!
    Yep, a few miles north of where we'll be in early August. Hope they leave on schedule. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    What a bummer.  I'm all for people hanging out and free love and all that but from what I've read these events have gotten out of control.  The trash, drugs, and violence are not cool.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The thing, it isn't just their group gatherings that are the problem. They live like that....at dispersed camping spots.

@EWizard if you are at established CGs should not be an issue. 

• Options
    Part 4

1. Ultraleather should be a must have for pet owners. It cleans up so easily! Rocky has been filthy  and all I had to do is vacuum up debris and wipe with a damp cloth. The longer his fur, the more dirt it holds. 

2. Shih Tzus can be bed hogs.

3. I picked the right summer to be away from cable news.

4. I love downloading TV shows and using my wireless display adapter to watch on the T@b TV. I usually have something on as I fall asleep.it helps Rocky to settle, too.

5. Wind can knock your screens out of place, blow out the LP on the fridge, and wreck your Visor pole.

6. A lot of trails can be confusing as can some trail maps. 

7. All of Colorado camps on July 4th, 8 think.

8. Some trails are confusing, as are some trail maps. It's always easier to stay on trail, if you can.

9. Injuries like ankle sprains seem to swell more at high altitude.

10. Velcro rollers are a workable solution.

• Options
  • Options
    #1, #2 -- definitely yes!  A portable shower and collapsible bucket is a must!  

#9 -- yes. Advil is a must. Be careful of a compression bandage. 

#10 -- no way! I hated them growing up and haven't had hair long enough to use them since I left home the day before my 19th birthday.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    #5 -- Call Jason at Paha Que and he will send pole pieces for free. I got mine in two business days.  It's nice to have 4 hands to replace the section(s), but not necessarily. You will need precise measurements of each broken pole.

I kept the spare broken pole, put a length of duct tape on it length wise, then wrapped it with more duct tape. It will get me through in a pinch. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN