Options

What I've Learned So Far

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Every day of the week!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    They paved paradise and put up a parking lot! *sings* - Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity, thanks for the correction! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I wasn't correcting... I wuz singing!!! LOUDLY... like "echo in da shower" loud. Muhahahahahahaha :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
     =) 
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2016
    Part 6 (Post Vacation)

1. Setting up and tearing down is 2x as fast with a second person. Obvious, but if you always do it alone and all of the sudden have a second sets of hands to help, it rocks.

2.  When planning to camp at a fairgrounds campground, find out when the fair is held. It has all worked out OK, but the Boulder County Fair is going on right now. I had a moment of panic when I approached the grounds and saw the amusements.

3.  All of the parks have been really packed this summer - more than I have seen them in the past. However, there can always be cool things to be found away from the main attractions that can make your visit more enjoyable. Getting up early is a must. We escaped the heat and crowds at Zion by driving up to Kolob Terrace. The temps were 20-30 degrees cooler. We had Old Fall River Road almost to ourselves for a long time last night. Kodachrome Basin is a nice campground to get away from the mobs at Bryce. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is much more tolerable in the summer than the South Rim - both with crowds and temperatures. There is more to Moab than Arches.

4. People have no issues passing you when they shouldn't. Double yellow lines are meaningless.

5.  Take a nap when you are tired. You will make fewer mistakes.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    3) They were really busy this spring also. Moab was a zoo. Everywhere twice as busy as last fall.
    4) Have experienced that. Thought for sure there was going to be a head-on just south of Lake Havasu City - Close by inches.
    5) Take naps anyway, they're always good :-) 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sunny knows the meaning of "Nap Attack"!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    jkjenn said:
    Part 6 (Post Vacation)

2.  When planning to camp at a fairgrounds campground, find out when the fair is held. It has all worked out OK, but the Boulder County Fair is going on right now. I had a moment of panic when I approached the grounds and saw the amusements.

Panic?  Something ain't right with you :grin:

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic said:
    jkjenn said:
    Part 6 (Post Vacation)

Yeah, "panic" was not really it - more like disappointment.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    It would be panic for me. After being around so few people for 3 months, I prefer to keep it that way. Let's see... if a female a hermit or hermitress??
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    jkjenn said:
    Cyclonic said:
    Yeah, "panic" was not really it - more like disappointment.
    I would only be disappointed if they didn't have a good Zipper or KMG Fireball, but then again, I am wired a bit different.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Hermitress sounds a little risqué Verna :-)
    Know what you mean by being around fewer people - I describe myself now as a "socialized hermit"
  • Options
    PXL, Now that one needs an explanation! Socialized?  :o
    Verna, it's ok to be a LITTLE risque once in a while.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz, I can be a bit risqué, but I just wanna have fun!  I don't like drama and I steer away from that.  I don't like crowds, but I do go to woodworking, fishing, camping and hunting shows at the fairgrounds, and I attend camping gatherings. Please do not try to take me clothes shopping-that's what the Internet is for! Although I buy my Adidas shoes at an Outlet mall 25 miles from home--I must try those on first. 

I'm just picky about the groups I'm in. I've been known to quietly disappear........If my T@B disappears with me, it was too crowded for me ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, Agree with all the above! Moved back here from California because of the over crowding [and high taxes!] Can't say as I blame you for bring picky about groups, me too! Been known to disappear a time or two myself, didn't like the company, and/ or just too plain crowded! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    @Tommy ..."a wonderful dirt road to perfectly nowhere..."  

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Let's see, I just got back from a necessary trip to Wally World (imagine me thumbing my lips and my eyes rolling...), a marvelous sporting goods store and a small shop with only the shop owner and his wife. I mentioned these in the reverse order that I preferred going into. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Not wanting to hijack Jenn's insightful thread, BUT there is something I've learned I'd like to share.  This country is jam-packed with clueless motor vehicle operators, and I encounter most of them on every trip.  Just sayin'.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG, Ditto, inconsiderate would even be a better word, perhaps self-centered!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    And, Larry, the idiots who give me an obscene gesture when I honk as they drift in my lane while they are texting ...GRRRRRR!  She didn't have the guts to look at me when we pulled up at the next traffic light, and her phone was no where in my sight. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, there seem to be a LOT of those too! I dreaded the day they let anyone use cell phones in cars. After all, you ARE supposed to be driving and paying attention, right? :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I have encountered more bad drivers on this trip than all of the previous ones combined.

• Options
    Part 5: Final Part

I am back in Ohio and ready to conclude this thread. I already miss Colorado, but work and a bad ankle pushed me to return.

1. Being prepared makes it easier to adjust, as needed. I sort of knew this, but it was strongly confirmed on the trip.
    2. Rocky now feels like the T@b is home. He was always so relieved when I put him inside after moving sites or when we over-knighted at Walmart.
    3. The only thing I really missed was cable TV and my hair dryer. I can see where a Dish Tailgater might be in the future if I do it, again. I probably could have used more data to stream video, as I did not come close to my cap, but I was not sure how it would work out.
    4. I figured out some more stuff I won't bring next year.
    5. You can't get a server under the age of 25 to wait on you in the Front Range without them being high. The result is a poor customer experience.
    6. 14 days is a really nice length to stay at one spot.
    7. I took my backing up skills to the next level. Not quite a ninja, yet, though.
    8. After using my hair dryer, again with hook ups, it was hard to go without.  I can also see a generator in the future. I can live without it if I have to, but a generator would also be a nice back up if traveling and insufficient time to charge with solar before end of light for the day.
    9. I survived without Amazon. I had serious concerns.
    10. The time flew by. Working during the day kept me very busy. Next year I will be more strategic about scheduling rest.
    11. I need to improve my lung capacity. I had done a tremendous amount of exercise to prep, but I noticed it was my lung capacity that made things rough. This makes sense as my lungs were pretty compromised by second hand smoke growing up, and I have had repetitive bronchitis and pneumonia into adulthood.
    12. My ankle will likely need some physical therapy. I sprained it a few weeks ago on a hike. I took care of it, right away and was easing back into using it on hikes. I over-did-it as I started vacation and made it worse on a rocky hike. It was not the same after that. I have had repetitive ankle injuries since I was 13 years old, from sports. I have had physical therapy before, but I need it again. I realized while hiking to False Kiva, at Canyonlands, that I needed to do something about it. Sigh. Being mortal is rough business.
    13. My technology worked! Internet, solar, battery monitor - it all made life work for me while I was out there. My boss did not know I was on Colorado and asked me when I was leaving for Colorado. I told him I had been there for 2 weeks. Score!
    14. My TV took a beating. I will get it detailed and some minor things fixed over the next few months.
    15. I was able to overnight at Walmart 2 nights on the return trip, thanks to the Fantastic Fan. I had been concerned it would be too hot and humid. The weather was not too bad and the fan helped. Side note: I am able to drive with the vent open with the Fantastic Fan vent cover. The directions indicated you could, but I had heard horror stories about it causing the vent cover to break off - not the case with the extra Ultra Breeze cover. This made the T@b a lot cooler when stopping for the day.

• Options
    4) Before you know it, you'll be a minimalist like me :-)
    6) Yep, did more of that this last year - First year was a week or less - Nice to fully deploy and leave it.
    8) Gen is nice but not something I want to mess with on an overnight. Too much hassel to unload to just do a quick charge. Instead, I'll just stay hooked and charge from the TV for a bit and then play it mizerly.
    14) Yep. Have to completely unload and do a number on it when I find a good campground and car wash close by.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Jenn - I noticed Amazon, Walmart, etc. all sell 12V hair dryers.  Wouldn't that work plugged into your TV for a few minutes each day?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    Jenn - I noticed Amazon, Walmart, etc. all sell 12V hair dryers.  Wouldn't that work plugged into your TV for a few minutes each day?

The 12v dryers are lame, at best. They blow a very little cold air. Not great for styling your hair, unfortunately. That being said, they are better than nothing, but you want to use your vehicle or an auxiliary power source as they draw a lot of power.

• Options
    Oh it's so nice to be bald - A quick buff and I'm good to go :-)
  • Options
    PXL, Does that mean you have a 12V buffer? :o
    Spokane, Wa.