Options

Solar for a Beginner

2»

Comments

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    @grubbster,
    Thanks for the link.  I’d searched for 5/8 and didn’t find it..  Wrong search words I guess...  
    As far as using what I have,  I wrestled with it and after getting about a foot into the foam, there is a quarter inch gap.  
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    You need at least 1 size larger @TerryV6.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks, so you are saying the 5/8 is the right size?  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    5/8 in worked for our 10 awg wire.  I am not sure how much bigger you need with your 8 awg wires.  I think @BrianZ used some loom recently, too.  Let me see if he listed his size.
  • Options
    No one listed their loom size.  Maybe Brian will chime in.
  • Options
    Wire loom comes in these sizes: 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, and 2 inch inside diameters.“
    There are calculators on line to determine which size loom for x number of wires.  I think we just went with the 5/8 and it worked.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited April 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM & @TerryV6 ,
    Had to look it up, but here's what I used:

100 FT 1/2" INCH Split Loom Tubing Wire Conduit Hose Cover Auto Home Marine Black (1/2" INCH) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KW9H1TW

I got 40 ft of 8g and 15 ft of 10g pairs of cables from Windy Nation.  I did use 3" pieces of electrical tape to bind them together about every 2 to 3ft before inserting into loom.  I may have also taped around the loom, can't remember right now, but can check.
    The 15-footer is for panel mounted on car roof, which I added to the 40-ft one for use on the ground at campsite.  We had a couple people ask about what we used the panel for.  The 1/2" loom worked for me, but it's possible the taping may have made a difference.

Edit:
    I checked our cables & did not use tape on the outside, except at the ends to close them & bind the loom to the cables so it doesn't come off.  The size seems exactly right for two 8G cables, but no more.  The 10G cables flop around a little bit inside the loom but the 8G ones do not.
    8G cable specs list outer diameter= 0.26"

PS:  Taping the two wires together may seem like wrestling an octopus.  I stretched the ends of both over the length of a picnic table, side-by-side with curves in same direction hooked over the ends of the table, taped them together, then slid both down, taped more, etc.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Thank you @Sharon_is_SAM.... :)

Also @BrianZ..
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    edited April 2019
    FWIW - It is easy to twist a pair of long wires together using a power drill.  No loom or tape required.
    With a quick search I found this youtube with a fair description.  There are probably more detailed versions.
    For a long pair it is helpful to have a second person holding the loose ends keeping them taught and a bit separated until the twist reaches their end and tightens up.  Pull as it twists and over-twist initially because the pair unwinds a bit when the ends are released.
    The large gauge wires will be a bit challenging but the method will work and last.  Hold tight and pull hard.

Have fun................

• Options
    Now that is clever!  But, you hope you never have a broken wire to replace.  
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2019
    Huh! Good idea. I wonder how easy it ends up being to coil it up, or get it to lie flat, after it's a 'twisted pair'. Someone should try this with their 10ga solar cable (and let me know!)  =)
    rfuss928 said:
    FWIW - It is easy to twist a pair of long wires together using a power drill.  No loom or tape required.
    With a quick search I found this youtube with a fair description.  There are probably more detailed versions.
    For a long pair it is helpful to have a second person holding the loose ends keeping them taught and a bit separated until the twist reaches their end and tightens up.  Pull as it twists and over-twist initially because the pair unwinds a bit when the ends are released.
    The large gauge wires will be a bit challenging but the method will work and last.  Hold tight and pull hard.
    (snipped video)

Have fun................

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    I'm surprised they don't make these extension cables in a more user-friendly package. I made mine out of standard heavy-duty power cable. It's expensive but super tough and very flexible so it's easy to coil/uncoil and move around.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    This is 30 ft of 10 wag.  I don’t think I could get it much tighter (16 in across).  If I had to do it again, I would use marine grade wire - much more flexible.  We used it for our controller pigtails and it was much more pliable.

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    ChanW said:
    Huh! Good idea. I wonder how easy it ends up being to coil it up, or get it to lie flat, after it's a 'twisted pair'. Someone should try this with their 10ga solar cable (and let me know!)  =)

Generally it removes the curl from being spooled completely and lays straight when done.  Then it coils up like any other cable similar in size.  I've often done #12 pairs with no problem but don't  recall trying #10 or #8....
    Much easier to handle than this>>>

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2019
    Heh! You must've been at my house last week! Took a bit of finagling to get it straightened out!
    rfuss928 said:
    ChanW said:

Generally it removes the curl from being spooled completely and lays straight when done.  Then it coils up like any other cable similar in size.  I've often done #12 pairs with no problem but don't  recall trying #10 or #8....

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Oh dear... that looks like part of one of my pics after unrolling the wire for the first time...  You know, my photos are copy protected...   grin...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @ScottG I did the same thing for my boy scout summer camp solar rig,  bought a 10 gauge 100 foot long extenstion cord and cut the ends off and use it for my solar panels to the charge controller battery set up in the tent.    Does very well with minimal losses,  but I run the panels at 24 volts which helps that out.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Well, I thought I’d finish up my journey so far in regards to cabling...
    Solar cable veterans please move along, nothing to see here...

I started out out with this:

Then, I bought the 5/8 black stuff (technical terminology, sorry) and the handy dandy tool.  I’m glad I bought the latter, though it took a little to figure out how to use.  I did this during Jimmy Kimmel last night.  The tool would work great for about a foot, then I’d have to setup a bit again.  The twisty cables, plus the curling black stuff helped cause the difficulty.  I used a little electrical tape every so often.  Here is the result:

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Strong work @TerryV6!