Options

Favorite camp stove?

jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
We need to replace our frequently repaired 40 year old Coleman camp stove. I’m hoping to learn what you use, and why you like it.
John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Comments

• Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    I am a big fan of the Coleman Fold N Go.  It's small, heats up very quickly, and uses very little propane.  It comes with a grill, but you can buy swappable accessories to convert it into a griddle and a stove.  https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Fold-Go-Instastart-Grill/dp/B07CMJCM2H.  It is probably too small, however, if you frequently need more than one burner.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I use a 30 year old Coleman camp stove.  ;-)
    What I would really like is a smaller single burner but high capacity stove that could run off propane. (Most of the compact stoves use butane--I assume to save size and weight.) The Coleman Fold N Go looks like a neat rig, but I already have a larger grill I don't intend to part with.
    Yeah, so no help from me...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    We have the Fold and Go, too.  The only problem is it is difficult to clean.  I cut up some stove top/oven liners to line the bottom of the grill, but no joy.  Anybody do something creative to clean it?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited May 2019
    I am using the Coleman Perfect Flow Grill/Stove combi. If you follow the rule that things have to serve more tha  one purpose, that's the stove for you. It lights easily and cooks and grills fairly evenly. We had filet mignon at the Badlands last summer.  =)

Everyone should have a sister-in-law that loves to cook!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We have a 2 burner Coleman propane stove, but the stove we use most frequently is a single burner butane stove, the kind you see chefs using to make omelets at brunch. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    I've owned several Colemans over the years, and they seem to have a hard time achieving a low (simmer) setting. Bought a Camp Chef Everest for a White Rim trip, and I wouldn't go back. Simmers well, and is like an afterburner when turned up. A bit larger than the slim Coleman's these days, but I got tired of burning things to a crisp (but perhaps some of their newer stuff is different). 
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Have to second the camp chef, we have the Rainier with the griddle, and find it more useful than the Weber Q (which we love and use as our main barbecue at home.)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    We use the Coleman Roadtrip LXE. Took the sink/stove out of our CS and really like the new counterspace.

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• Options
    LisaTucsonLisaTucson Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    While not actually a camp stove, I jumped in and ordered a Blackstone 17" griddle, stand, cover, bag, and tool set (decided to jump in the deep end).  After researching this product, I think it will make my cooking and dining much more pleasurable with the T@B.  It seems to be a very solid product, lots of accessories, and quite reasonable prices.  I bought the griddle and stand from REI (20% off sale ends today) and the rest of the accessories from Amazon.  I'll report back when I have a chance to test it out.  I am hoping this appliance will change to process of food preparation from a necessary chore to an activity that I can look forward to and have some wonderful meals.  
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    we have two coleman stoves but normally bring the Camp Chef Denali 3 burner stove because it gives us more room, extra burner, etc. Costco sells them and will drop the price to clear out stock mid summer.  
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @klenger like the look of that griddle,  a lot......the temptation is real.  I can taste the pancakes now.   hmmmm
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Coleman Coleman Fold and Go—perfect for the solo camper, or for a couple. Four burgers fit on the grill, plenty of room for pancakes on the griddle and even a cast iron skillet fits fine on the pan attachment. I do also keep a Camp Chef butane stove for simple meals cooked outside in a skillet or pot. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AtaylorAtaylor Member Posts: 10
    After years of using Coleman stoves (I still have a Coleman white gas stove that is about 40 years old), I switched to a Camp Chef Everest.  The Everest is a great stove.  Simmers well or boils quickly.
  • Options
    utahuskerutahusker Member Posts: 10
    We use a Scottle almost exclusively.  It cleans easily and folds up compactly, but is spendy for what it is.  It's worth every penny to us.

We hook it up to our main lp tank instead of small tanks 
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    mgreen2 said:
    we have two coleman stoves but normally bring the Camp Chef Denali 3 burner stove because it gives us more room, extra burner, etc. Costco sells them and will drop the price to clear out stock mid summer.  
    I have one of those 3 burner Denali's that I use for a field kitchen at a large event (we set up a 10'x20' "Car port" type awning and put a full field kitchen for our 30 person camp) but to me, the Denali is way too big to lug about for casual camping or stuff where I don't need to feed a mass of people

However, I do so very much love that stove when I use it.. It spends most of the year in my back yard outdoor kitchen area... I actually prefer cooking on it to my stove in the house (BOO, Electric range blaaaaa)

The Denali is also AMAZING with a steel flat top.. you can cook mountains of bacon on it though that flat top is heavy and awkward to bring along too

So yeah if one is looking to set up for a longer stay or needs to feed a lot of folks I totally agree with how awesome these are.. but not so great on the portable angle

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Thanks for all of your replies! Decisions, decisions.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner