Options

Generator

need to get a generator-ucamp 2019 will be my first boondocking experience-I do know I need an inverter generator-I want the smallest-ie least heavy and bulky to lug around, quiet, dependable and easy to start I am a 66 year old woman and will be by myself does anyone know smallest that will run the air conditioner in the t@b 400?? also keeping cost in mind any suggestions??  I do have the factory installed solar panels

Comments

• Options
    teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    I am not sure how much your 400 AC pulls, but I have a Predator 2000 generator from Harbor Freight that might work.  It starts and runs easily, is relatively quiet and handles the AC in our 320, effortlessly.   It lists at only $499 but is usually available for less with one of their many coupons.  I paid $429. It compares favorably with the Honda equivalent, but for far less.  
    m.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    2000 watts will not run the Cool Cat A/C in the T@B 400 unless you void your Cool Cat warranty and add a quick start to your Cool Cat. Honda’s new 2200 will run the A/C, but it is under a mandatory recall and must be repaired. The Honda 2800 will also run the Cool Cat.  (I am only familiar with the Honda brand name.). A quick Google search will give you the weights of each of the models.

You can also Google the Companion that can be attached to the Honda 2000 that will allow it to run the Cool Cat. That way you would lift twice, but each are a lesser weight.

You can search for Cool Cat and read the info that others have written, also. 

There are many of we mid 60’s plus solo female T@B owners and we always figure out how to lift and get along. If there’s a will, there’s a way you’ll figure out how to transport and lift the generators. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    thanks for the comments!!

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    If you step up to something bigger than the "2000w class" like a 3000w (and the 2800w would be there) it is almost double the weight of the 2000's. 100 pounds or so is a lot to heft into the trailer or TV. As mentioned you might be able to get by with a 2200w on the 400, but it is close. I will probably void my warranty and install the MicroAir softstart, seems like a good idea even on shore power, easier on compressor.

I am going to start with the 'companion" model and if it isn't enough, add a 2nd 2200w, that route is going to be a bit more spendy/watt than just going for the 3000w, BUT 1/2 the weight each is nice.

As I always say, if no limits on budget, just go for a Honda and don't look back, if you can't afford that, then get what you can that works and hope it lasts.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    The Honda EU2200i is shipping now.  I have one on the way from Northern Tool.  
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    We have a Honda eu2200i generator, which we previously used to run the A/C and fridge simultaneously. Didn't test with the Alde at the same time, but you can specify running the Alde on propane to minimize electrical usage.

No question that reliable external power costs money and is heavy to lug around. The Honda is the lightest that I could find. There may be some in stores now. Look for a green dot on the boxes. That indicates that they've been updated to comply with the recall.

Definitely go for 2200 watts peak, or more, with whatever brand that you purchase. The 2000 watt models out there don't supply enough power for the A/C. 

Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    teztab said:
    I am not sure how much your 400 AC pulls, but I have a Predator 2000 generator from Harbor Freight that might work.  It starts and runs easily, is relatively quiet and handles the AC in our 320, effortlessly.   It lists at only $499 but is usually available for less with one of their many coupons.  I paid $429. It compares favorably with the Honda equivalent, but for far less.  
    m.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided
    I would not buy anything from Harbor Freight. It’s the cheapest of the cheap. You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    We’ve installed the micro-air ezstart on a different trailer and are very happy with it.  Had it done at the RV show where installation was free. 

F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    when I went online to Northern Tool I discovered there is one right here in my town so I called them-they are waiting for the upgrade kits to come in so they can get the ones they have in stock sellable-left my name and phone # price was the same as online for the Honda 2200-they have both models the ones with the 110 only and the one with the 30 amp outlet  if I don't hear from them in a week or two I will recall them-thanks for everyone's help
  • Options
    just called northern tool and they have the Honda generators ready for sale now they say they have a 2200i companion-I think that is the one I will get as it already has the 30 amp outlet, I will swing by after work because they say they only have a limited #
  • Options
    @kaylevine1 Yes, it's a 30-amp outlet in that it is round, but only provides 20 amps because it requires a second 2200i or 2000i to get it up to 30 amps through that outlet. Also, I sent you a message about availability of a regular spot at nuCamp. Only one left at this time. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    So, do people run generators at Ucamp?  Is there not AC power available for everyone?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Generators will only be allowed on the boondocking  sites this year. The campers are far too close to allow generators’ fumes and noise to be in such close proximity to others. My 400 was quickly filled up with fumes from a large generator, and that was totally unacceptable. 

Last year the AC allowed for 15 amps to be shared by a pair of campers, no matter what size of camper, and camper requirements. There were 4 campers assigned to each pedestal. 

Hopefully this year, the weather will cooperate, as it has in the past two years, with mild weather. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    @Verna Hi. Was wondering if 50 feet of cord or hose are needed, or will 25 feet do? Thanks
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    well I got the generator and the adapter plug that was needed as it was not the right outlet, some oil and checked it to make sure fits with my electrical cord-just drug it into the garage-didn't open box yet
  • Options
    didn't check e-mail till about 7:30 this AM and sadly I missed that opportunity to upgrade my spot at ucamp
  • Options
    @Verna Hi. Was wondering if 50 feet of cord or hose are needed, or will 25 feet do? Thanks
    I carry an extra 25’ cord (heavy duty 30 amp) and I think so did have to use it one year. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    edited May 2019
    I've been doing a lot of research to figure out what my best option is... I haven't yet taken delivery of my 320 S, but part of why i went with it and not the 400 was that the AC is smaller / less power hungry.

My research shows that for the TaB 320, a 2000 w generator with 1600 running watts should be OK.  if I had a 400 I would go for a 3500w .. if weight were not a huge consideration, and dual 2ks if I didn't want to lift that much at once.

Many of the smaller generators (including the predator) can be run in parallel with a second one.. you basically buy two and a small link kit and link them .. two smaller ones and a link cost only a bitmore than one bigger 3000 W generator ..

My research shows that:

*2x 2k units $998  vs 1x 3.5K unit $799.. not sure how much the parallel/link kit is

* one slightly bigger generator such as a 3.5kW is often in total heavier than two 2kw ones put together 
    Predator 2000 listed at 47 lbs, but you need 2
    Predator 3500 listed at 99 lbs

* 4000 total watts of the 2 2ks would be a bit higher than the single 3.5k

* The single 3.5k will likely be a bit more fuel efficient than 2 2ks

* Ironically, even a single 2k is slightly louder than a single 3.5k (I assume it's due to bigger cylinder running at lower rpm or better sound control.. not sure but in general, I've seen the specs of the 3.5k types be slightly lower DB rating.. so when you add a second 2k .. the one 3.5 should be quieter

Sorry this isn't fully fleshed out.. I was going to write up something more formal eventually.. this is top of head stuff from my recent research

EDIT: Oh forgot.. I was basing some of my info off this review
    https://mozaw.com/best-quiet-propane-generator/

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    do I need to use a surge protector with the Honda 2200i companion-? the salesman said I didn't need to because it has a surge protector built in
  • Options
    tabblisstabbliss Member Posts: 7
    The westinghouse 2500 inverter works well on 400 same size and weight as honda
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @kaylevine1 I can't say if the Honda has built in surge protection, likely not to same standard as a stand alone EMS if it does. Because of the way RV's and the inverter generators are wired you will need a neutral bonding plug if you try and use the generator with an EMS like the popular Progressive Dynamics brand a lot of folks use.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    You do not need a surge protector with an inverter generator. You're fine as is. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @NorthIsUp really?  everything fails.     An ounce of prevention in my book.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    NorthIsUp said:
    You do not need a surge protector with an inverter generator. You're fine as is. 
    From a statistical point of view, I totally agree.  The EMS is intended to protect the RV from unknown upstream failures beyond the RV owner's control, and surges from nearby lightning strikes. An inverter generator is really not subject to either of these issue.  In my case, I have a hard-wired EMS that is always connected to any outside power source.  I like having it with the generator to monitor AC loads.

How many people have whole-house EMS systems in their brick and mortar homes?  

• Options
    @kaylevine1 An inverter generator, like your Honda, is safe for electronics. It changes its output a/c power to dc and then inverts power back to clean and stable a/c.
    I have a portable SSP-30XL (surge protector) for use at RV parks. I don't use it when employing the Honda eu2200i. Because of the electronics in the Honda, I expect clean a/c power.
    You can add the surge protector when using the Honda. Just make sure that you do use the surge protector when at an RV park plugged in to their a/c power. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    edited May 2019
    Cbusguy said:
    @NorthIsUp really?  everything fails.     An ounce of prevention in my book.
    Surge protectors can actually cause issues in some cases..  I've heard in some cases where a person has a surge protector blow out every time their A/C kicks in but when they bypass it and go direct to generator, it works without ever having a problem.

Yes, technically the surge protector is cutting out so that you don't over draw the generator and thus "doing its job" protecting the generator from damage. I'm sure so long as you have a a properly specced out suppressor that can handle the draw needed for A/C Starup then your worst case is that its just redundant "belt and suspenders"

UPDATE/EDIT: I'm kind of an idiot.. I was mentally thinking of those consumer power strip things .. the ones with the breakers that often pop when running an AC through them (and A/Cs even say plug in direct etc)  I just .. brain farted a lot on that .. those full RV surge protectors won't have that down side (unless you really are using one way under specced for your needs... and since they are usually specific to the plug type.. a 30 a suppressor made for RV will likely be perfectly fine.. so with those I don't think there's a down side to using them other than the added cost.. but I would rather have one and use it on campground/shore power.

Especially since the better ones tell you if the wiring is right or not so you can avoid hooking up to something wired wrong/backward
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    thanks!! I have upgraded to a generator site at ucamp 2019 but also bringing the Honda mostly in case I need it at Smokemont in smokey mountains where I am going after-if it is sunny-and not too hot may not even need it-better to be prepared
  • Options
    got out in the garage on sunday and put oil and some gas in the generator and got it started-took many pulls which I am going to attribute to the fact that it was the first time-I let it burn up the fuel about 20-30 min-I didn't put too much in-splashed all over trying to put fuel in-guess I will get a funnel maybe that will help-left the oil in it-put sta-bill in 2 5 gal gas containers that I had gotten gas in a couple weeks ago-lifted up to truck to make sure not too tall to fit under my locking cover-all ok
  • Options
    Regarding filling the generator tank w/o splashing, ... I recommend the No-Spill gas cans.  Amazon is a good source, but many stores carry them also.  They come is several sizes.  Watch the video at the link below.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W72GBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @kaylevine1, I "second" @klenger's suggestion to use a No-Spill gas can.  I have two, which I use for my Honda generator.  They work great!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)