Buyers Remorse

Hello All -  My wife and I are getting ready to purchase our first NuCamp trailer.  We are looking at the Tab 400 Boondock Lite.

We have been camping for many years in motor homes and several larger travel trailers but, never in a smaller unit like the Tabs.

Has anyone experienced “buyers remorse” after a period of time in their Tags air Tabs?

Thanks,

Lee & Paula Schleining
Pisgah Forest, NC

Comments

• lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    Thanks - Verna for your comments.  We appreciate them.
  • Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    Verna said:
     If you can tolerate each other and still be laughing, buy it and enjoy the quality, the uniqueness and the comfort of a well built camper!
    Always remember, “A SENSE OF HUMOR IS ESSENTIAL.”
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    I sometimes worry a 400 might be more to my liking... But when I'm towing /manuvering 320s Boondock, it's perfect.

If I ever have remorse it will be reading up to a 400... But I really like how invisible the 320 is to me while towing.. but 8 honestly think I'm T@B forever... Love love love my T@B

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @lpanthers, as in everything, you will find things that don’t meet your needs 100%.  Since you have experience, you know what is essential for you.  Relative to the 320, the 400 stepped up to having an interior height over 6 feet, having a separate dining area, having a relatively large bathroom and larger tanks, battery capacity and more storage.  The option for built in solar is a big bonus for those who wish to have plug ‘n play, rather than design your own solar array.  I think the one thing that members identify they wish were different is the bed arrangement - that is if you camp as a couple, someone needs to crawl over a body at night to get to the loo.  For my husband and I in our TaB 320 clamshell, we encounter the same wheel to wheel bed arrangement and we are happy.  I say, cut off your fluids after 7:00 and you’ll likely be fine😆. But, seriously, only you know why you are looking at a smaller trailer.  

I think you will find the 400s have many of the luxuries of the larger trailers, but it’s size makes it easier to tow and you can fit it into more camp sites than a lot of larger trailers.  Not to mention that nuCamp stands behind their products.  No company is perfect, but I remain impressed by their company philosophy and integrity - all part of their good customer service.  And, the forum members really are a valuable resource to new and seasoned members.  Will you find buyer remorse?  Sure - mostly folks who don’t do their home work before purchase, or they buy it for the cute factor and they have not identified their own needs.  So, I think you need to know what you can live with and live without.  Good luck with your decision.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I’ve seen much more buyers remorse with the 320 than the 400, almost always due to the extreme compact size. But I’ll echo Verna’s advice...tell the salesman you want to spend some time inside by yourselves, and then really act out all the motions of living inside. See how well you cope with crawling out of bed to get to the bathroom (especially for the person who has to crawl over the other!) Is the bathroom big enough? Can you both move around the cabin at the same time? It’s not like a bigger rig with slide outs. If weather is too miserable to be outdoors, can you both get comfortable inside for long stretches? 

I spent six months and four lengthy dealer visits making my decision, hanging out in a 320 in all weathers. And I’m with Digital Sorceress on this one, my only real regret is that the 400 doesn’t fit my current lifestyle. I can see trading up at some point.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Again, thank you to everyone.  We appreciate your comments.
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited May 2019
    The original owners of our T@b 320 CS-S had some serious buyers remorse, and I’m glad they did. We got a great used price on a trailer that was in brand new condition. :)
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    We've all got opinions on what's working or not for ourselves. When I was seriously looking it was from small teardrops to class C's, and everything in between. I started asking myself hard questions about how I like to camp, what's important to me, all that stuff. When I learned there was a teardrop with a bathroom the look was over! I like options and versatility. DH wanted to be able to stand up, and to be hard sided so I could lock myself in at night and be safe when he's not camping with me. I love cooking outside but wanted to be able to cook inside if I needed or wanted to. I still use much of my tent camping gear, cook outside on my Coleman stove much of the time. I agree with spending time in each model you are interested in. We actually connected with a Tab owner through this forum and were able to go sit in theirs, ask questions, and get honest feedback. For us the 400 bed setup would be miserable at best. With the 320S we can sleep two twins which gives us much better sleep. I love my Tab and the amazing Tab family that has come with it! I guess my only regret is not owning one sooner and not being retired so I can camp more often in more places! Good luck with your decision!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Thank you Bayliss for your comments and advice.
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    Verna said:
    There have been some with buyer’s remorse, who sell their T&B’s soon after purchase. Luckily the T@B’s retain their value and there is little loss to the initial buyers. 

Just shoo the salesman away and go sit down in the 400, try everything from laying down on the bed to moving the table from sofa/bed mode to table mode, stand in the shower with the shower curtain closed around you, stand at the kitchen sink and stove imagining cooking a meal and washing up afterwards. 

As as a couple, walk from the bed to the table, each of you in different directions and imagine this routine as you are getting ready for the day. Check out the outside, the stabilizers, waste tank outlet, electrical and water connections, propane tank and the tongue. 

Can you imagine living in the 400 for two or three days with a monsoon around you? If not, maybe the 400 isn't for you. If you can tolerate each other and still be laughing, buy it and enjoy the quality, the uniqueness and the comfort of a well built camper!
    Does anybody else wonder like me why Verna is so smart?  Great advice!  And the other’s advice here is all fantastic too.  This forum sure continues to be a big help to all of us new and/or aspiring owners.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited May 2019
    I think it can be hard to tell until you settle into a camping, "style." Some people like to spend a lot of time in their camper, that could be tough in a 320. I spent 3 months straight FT in my 320, which involved working during the day. It felt far less claustrophobic working in my 320 with grand mountain views than I did in my suburban brownstone, working from home. Other than when I work from my T@b, I dont spend a lot of waking hours inside. The 400 is a beautiful and there is so much to like, but for me where I live, now, getting it down my back alley would be pretty tight. However, it probably could be done. I am to the point where I need to get around to having a few things done on my house so that I can sell it and get a place that is better suited for a trailer. 😁

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 44
    We got the Boondock Edge a month ago and have been to three of the highest mountains in Southern Arizona. We experienced all kinds of weather including snow and sleet on our last trip. It was so much fun that we have no regrets on jumping into this lifestyle. The main thing to remember when using a small trailer is pack light. Take the essentials, organize, and smile. I followed the Youtubers that give advice for what to prepare for and what you need. By planning ahead of time we found it pretty simple. So far the TAB has been flawless and everything worked without any issues. The coldest night the wind chill was around 15 degrees and the Alde kept the trailer toasting around 70. The factory installed solar has kept the battery always charged so we have no problem boondocking for 4 days. 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @ginsbuj, glad to hear everything is working well. We had virtually the same experience, with our shake-down trip being six weeks, over 10,000 miles and 25 states. We are in our 4th summer, have about 30,000 miles on the trailer and have travelled to 35 states, and everything is still operating flawlessly. We wish you the same trouble free experience. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer! Fair weather and good roads to you in all of your travels. Should we pass you on the road sometime, we'll be the crazies waving. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited May 2019
    I saw my first T@B when I stumbled across it looking at A-frames on a dealer lot. I had no idea what it was but I knew I wanted it, and bought it (almost) on the spot. I've never had a regret in five seasons.
    That said, I agree with others about carefully defining your own needs. While I may not have known what a T@B was, I was in the market for a small camper and knew what features I prioritized--front to back sleeping, a toilet and refrigerator, no moving parts or fabric to futz with. I also knew how I camped and that I didn't plan to spend any time inside it other than for a good night's sleep--it is pretty small, especially for two people.
    2015 T@B S
  • SactoSteveSactoSteve Member Posts: 32
    Verna said:
    “As as a couple, walk from the bed to the table, each of you in different directions and imagine this routine as you are getting ready for the day.”
    The “passing lane” between the wet room and the roundish sink cabinet is “challenging”. 😄 Once we figured that out it felt more roomy. 😉 certainly not a showstopper IMO. 
    -steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA
  • JayDJayD Member Posts: 1
    Lee & Paula

Wanting to travel and camp the wife and I had been looking for years to find the goldilocks mix we were looking for. Our intended style is a portable home base, a small cabin we can take with us. Our TV is a fullsize Ford van E350 Super Duty which we just happened to have prior to catching the camping bug. We call it the garage as all of the trailer stuff hoses, cords, folding chairs, propane grill live in the garage. We we not seeking all the comforts of a condo on wheels. The key to happiness is setting the appropriate expectations. What is your intended travel style and TV?

We had long ago eliminated from our consideration all of the mass volume junk which I consider tree forts on wheels. We had narrowed the search down to Olivers, Escapes, and lastly NuCamp. Looking at this class of camper separate sleeping was always the plan with me in the back and the wife up front.  We have our individual spaces for sleeping. For movie time or day naps we both use the rear bed. It is tight as expected for a one room cabin but we make it work. Some have written of the special maneuvers needed to pass the round portion of the counter top. 

It is even worse for us as I am 6'7" 280 and have been in bigger port-a-potties that the wet bath, however I can stand up and take a shower. I prefer to dry off or use the fold down sink standing on a bath mat in the passageway. At night or other times I can keep the door closed. The folded bath mat stores very nicely above the kitchen cabinets. Coordination is needed and we have figured it out.

We also chose upper cabinets over a microwave and the small fridge. For me to reach the back of the fridge I am on my hands and knees. It is well worth it the fridge is well regulated we don't freeze the lettuce or veg and the built in solar keeps the batteries topped off.

In the end we pulled the trigger on the TAB because

1) Quality of construction, material, overall engineering and systems chosen by NuCamp.
    2) The open feel, lots of windows light beach finish on the wood.
    3) Nearby dedicated dealer (https://www.facebook.com/MissouriTeardrops/) with a lot of inventory.

Following a previous recommendation once we selected the unit we wanted we went through the motions, sharing the dinette, passing in the passageway, setting up the front bed. tearing it down and storing the cushion. 

The experience has been great, it tows wonderfully and with a combined length of 28 ft we have been able to find campgrounds on short notice as the shorter slots are often open.

Jay & Julie
    2019 TAB 400
  • jpb0001jpb0001 Member Posts: 15
    Purchased TAB 400 3 months ago.  Just returned from a 3 week cross-country trip from Texas to Oregon (and back).  

Positives:  Tows like a dream (half-ton Chevy as tow vehicle).  Absolutely no movement when an 18-wheeler blows past me.  Easy pull even on the somewhat steep grades through Sierra Nevada mountains. Easy to navigate into tight spots in a gas station (I previously owned a 32 foot TT and lived in anxiety of navigating into a gas stall!).  Innovative design features often found only on more expensive TTs (e.g., Alde, ducted a/c with thermostat control).

Negatives:    Some of the features  are not US standard (e.g., door lock is, I think,  manufactured for the European "caravan" market by an Italian company, thus not easy to replace with a  US after-market lock). 

• b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    jpb0001 said:
    Purchased TAB 400 3 months ago.  Just returned from a 3 week cross-country trip from Texas to Oregon (and back).  

Positives:  Tows like a dream (half-ton Chevy as tow vehicle).  Absolutely no movement when an 18-wheeler blows past me.  Easy pull even on the somewhat steep grades through Sierra Nevada mountains. Easy to navigate into tight spots in a gas station (I previously owned a 32 foot TT and lived in anxiety of navigating into a gas stall!).  Innovative design features often found only on more expensive TTs (e.g., Alde, ducted a/c with thermostat control).

Negatives:    Some of the features  are not US standard (e.g., door lock is, I think,  manufactured for the European "caravan" market by an Italian company, thus not easy to replace with a  US after-market lock). 

I think that some of the features not being US standard is one of the primary things that drove us to nuCamp, as the Euro caravan market from which they get their components is quite mature, compared to the US tissue-paper-and-spit RV industry. I don't think nuCamp chooses these 'exotic' components because they are easy or cheap, they choose them because they are right.

May be more of a challenge to replace stuff, but you also may not need to replace [it]. The lowest common denominator vent fan and gas range are my two complaints about the build of the 400... two of the few US components in the trailer.

As with life, our mileage may [will] vary... :)
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
    @jpb0001 ,

"""Negatives:    Some of the features  are not US standard (e.g., door lock is, I think,  manufactured for the European "caravan" market by an Italian company, thus not easy to replace with a  US after-market lock)."""

On my 320 it was standard enough I was able to replace mine with a "RVLock v4" remote entry lock.

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

edited June 2019
    @jpb0001 ,

"""Negatives:    Some of the features  are not US standard (e.g., door lock is, I think,  manufactured for the European "caravan" market by an Italian company, thus not easy to replace with a  US after-market lock)."""

On my 320 it was standard enough I was able to replace mine with a "RVLock v4" remote entry lock.

@DigitalSorceress You have a 2019. The 2020 has the Euro door where the lock cannot be replaced, as do all 400 model years.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP Oh snap.. did not realize that was a change.. good to know!

~Tananda

Hmm actually seeing that 2020 video (again.. I did see it a while back before I bought, but didn't think about it much then)

I'm really glad I got the 2019.. the door update is nice but I REALLY love my RVLock.. and I would not be too happy with the AC being moved.. based on the location, I worry the heat would be vented right under any awning/front porch area.. I like the simplicity of the AC location on the 2019.
    ~Tananda

@DigitalSorceress People are modding the heat exhaust on the 2020 400 with a diverter to make it more functional, I’m sure we’ll see the same on the 320 soon enough.

The compact RV lock was one of my first upgrades, and I cannot imagine not having a keypad at this point. It just makes things so much easier. I find the look of the new door somewhat cluttered, though I appreciate the attempt to make it a useful space. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP I am sure folks will mod the exhaust with diverter.. and I'd do the same were I to have an outside tent/awning and run an AC there..  I had a teensy bit of "buyers remorse" at not getting the 2020 updates till I really revisited this  via this conversation...

The door looks nice to me, but yeah I would also really have a hard time not having a keypad.. I have replaced the locks on my house with keypads.. I REALLY like my keyless entries .. :)

The door may be a place where I do a mod that involves drilling a bit.. I don't really care for the cargo nets on my door and could see making something slightly more useful.. though honestly, I'm thinking ABS tape and some kind of plastic (possibly do a vacu-form overlay?) could do well.. dunno.. It would require making myself a small vacu-form table.. oh noes....    ok actually the down side is I don't have enough garage/workshop space to store it...  darn zoning laws...

~Tananda

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I don’t have buyers remorse per se but we are starting to experience a few issues that are more annoying that they need to be because of the T@B’s design. 

Our 3 way fridge stopped working on propane and a $19 part became a $400 repair because the fridge has to be removed to service it. We have some plumbing leaks that we haven’t been able to address yet, but they will necessitate opening up the wall behind the toilet to get to the inaccessible plumbing inside the wall. 

I realize that things do break in travel trailers, but fixing these things seem to be harder than they should be. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    @Photomom Unfortunately, most every RV seems to require pulling the fridge to do any repairs on it

Plumbing wise, RVs and homes.. I've never met one where the plumbing was easy to get to .. except maybe when I've had issues with first floor plumbing and an open basement and the issue is in that part of it..

RV Plumbing takes a lot of abuse from the bouncing around on the roads and if you ever hit a city water hookup with high pressure and forgot to use a regulator (not saying I ever did this but .. well, maybe I did this with my previous RV... who knows? i"m not talking...)  still no fun for sure when the leak is in an inaccessible location. I just wonder if you'd really have had an easier time with any other campers.. especially small ones.. have to pack stuff in every crevice

~Tananda

Photomom said:
    I don’t have buyers remorse per se but we are starting to experience a few issues that are more annoying that they need to be because of the T@B’s design. 

Our 3 way fridge stopped working on propane and a $19 part became a $400 repair because the fridge has to be removed to service it. We have some plumbing leaks that we haven’t been able to address yet, but they will necessitate opening up the wall behind the toilet to get to the inaccessible plumbing inside the wall. 

I realize that things do break in travel trailers, but fixing these things seem to be harder than they should be. 

^^^THIS, exactly. Unfortunately it seems to be the same with most brands. Knowing that things are going to break in these rolling earthquakes we call travel trailers, I don’t like the fact that they aren’t designed for easier repair access.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW