State parks Coronavirus closings

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
Know before you go: state parks campground closings related to Coronavirus 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    Good heads-up.
    2016 cs-s max
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    They have closed all the state parks here in New Mexico so this is going to create a lot of issues for snow birds.   I’m sure the BLM areas are doing a brisk business theses days....  Sad that it has come down to this and with the homeless out there across America it may get real ugly.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    National Park Service Campgrounds remain open at this time: 

https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/public-health-update.htm

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Thanks for posting this information. We are at an Oregon park and are heading to Washington next week. We are going to give Seattle a pass though.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Alabama is OPEN!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited April 2020
    (UPDATED 4-10-20):

Virginia State Parks will only open for day use ..

Overnight facilities are closed through June 10th. The closure includes all cabins, campgrounds, camping cabins and yurts, as well as restrooms and bathhouses.

But, please check the link below to be sure of current status.

Here's the virus update link..
    https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/covid-19-update

I guess we can still camp in our yard.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2020
    If you are traveling or preparing to travel, be sure to check the link given to us by @jkjenn at the beginning of this post. 

All Illinois State Park campgrounds are closed. 

Correction:  Florida’s State Parks will close 3/20/2020. 

There are other rumors that I have heard, but Campendiem doesn’t report these. 

Keep informed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    PA campgrounds are now closed.

In addition, PA rest areas are now closed. Gas, convenience stores and porta potties are available at turnpike service plazas.

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Sure hope gas stays available. Trucks gotta deliver toilet paper.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    jkjenn said:
    PA campgrounds are now closed.

So I guess while you're hiking its digging a hole and using leaves? 
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Good info, Jenn - thanks. If this continues into the summer, it sure may put a dent in everyone's travel plans. Right now, my plan is to leave Tucson for 3 months beginning in July. Hoping the places I have reservations at will remain open. Wow, this is something!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• monamona Member Posts: 240
    No camping in Florida state parks for 60 days. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    edited March 2020
    To all those contributing,  thanks for the info. Both the husband and me are diabetic, and nearly 70. With all of my terminal diagnoses, except for his work, we are practically house bound, and being very cautious. All updates are really appreciated! Our plans to have a short vacay in the northeast, utilizing forest service or blm sites (yes, there are a few), may be in serious jepoardy. If you travel, fair weather and good roads to all. Stay safe out there!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    To all those contributing,  thanks for the info. Both the husband and me are diabetic, and nearly 70. With all of my terminal diagnoses, except for his work, we are practically house bound, and being very cautious. All updates are really appreciated! Our plans to have a short vacay in the northeast, utilizing forest service or blm sites (yes, there are a few), may be in serious jepoardy. If you travel, fair weather and good roads to all. Stay safe out there!
    The Colorado mountains are asking people not to come. Gunnison has actually ordered people who dont live there to leave. As of Saturday, Vail had 20 patients in their 13 bed facility. 

My advice to people is to stay home. You will be touching surfaces when you fill up and therenis likely to be at least some human contact. Smaller communities need people to stay away.

Also, closures seem to be happening fast, so unless you are boondocking, your travel could be in vain 

It would be a good time for me to go west and work from my camper, but out of respect for the residents of those areas, I am staying away. I don't need to unintentionally or unknowingly carry it. 

We have 15 days to slow the growth of this spread. I hope we all do our part.

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Message received from ReserveCalifornia (California State Park reservation system) this morning:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The safety of our entire California State Parks family and visitors is our highest priority. With the situation surrounding COVID-19, we understand that your travel plans may change. Effective immediately, State Parks will be waiving any fees for cancellations or modifications to your ReserveCalifornia tour or camping reservation due to COVID-19 concerns. This fee waiver will be in effect until April 15, 2020. 

State Parks continues to monitor the situation with COVID-19 closely and will follow any guidance provided by California’s Governor’s Office via the California Department of Public Health(CDPH), Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OESand the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

If you do plan to visit one of our 280 park units, we recommend you bring soap for hand washing and hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol when water is not available.  Continue to follow the health guidelines provided by CDPH and CDC. 

Please be advised that this situation is evolving and we will continue to provide you with updates as we have them. We thank you for your patience, trust and continued support. Together, we will navigate through these challenging circumstances. 

If you have additional questions, please call our Customer Service at 1-800-444-7275. Hours of Operation: 7 days a week, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST (except New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day). The best times to call are midday and midweek, when the phone lines are less busy. 

Regards,

Contact Center Agent

1-800-444-7275
    Available: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM PST 7 days a week
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Florida state parks now closed to camping after March 20. https://www.floridastateparks.org/learn/safety-updates

I keep waiting for WA parks to do the same. But for now, they’re still open except for groups:

NOVEL CORONAVIRUS – COVID 19 MESSAGE

March 16, 2020 

State parks and camping remain open. In response to Gov. Inslee’s mandate, we are making the following changes to operations through April 30: 

• Visitor and interpretive centers are closed. 
    • Most special activities and special permits are cancelled. 
    • Planned programming is cancelled. 
    • Group camp and group reservations such as picnic shelters are restricted. 

We are taking additional measures to limit visitor and staff interactions at offices and at registration. This includes: 

• Using drive-up/walk-up windows when possible. 
    • Limiting the number of visitors in an office. 
    • Providing electronic options for purchasing passes and making reservations. 
    • Using automated pay stations, where available. 

We ask that all visitors exhibit personal responsibility and take steps to protect their health and the health of others. 

As the situation changes, we will continue to follow the governor and public health officials’ guidance when it comes to managing our park system. 

Take care!

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Oregon State Parks are still open for now.

https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=v.dsp_featureArticle&articleId=272

One line from the statement on the Oregon State Parks website: Visiting a park is a good way to improve mental health, relieve stress and exercise, things we especially need now, so follow the guidelines for protecting your personal health and enjoy your next visit.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    For any Canadians...we also have had our National Parks and historic sites that are associated with Parks Canada closed... haven't heard anything at the Provincial level..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • monamona Member Posts: 240
    Add North Carolina state parks to the list. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I guess I'm headed to Oregon!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @ChanW hurry, more things closing everyday, it would not surprise me at all if the state parks get closed.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    This is dumb, a State Park campground with 20+ feet between everyone is safer than a city!
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Denny16 said:
    This is dumb, a State Park campground with 20+ feet between everyone is safer than a city!
    cheers
    It might seem like that for you, but not for the workers who have to keep it open or for the local health systems when you dont realize you have it and become their patient.

Chaffee County, in Colorado has now also ordered visitors to leave. This is the area just south of Twin Lakes (Granite) to south of Salida.

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Good point, but if you feel ill do not travel, if you feel ill while traveling, go home.  I was thinking more of parks being used by local area residents, say within 200 miles so it is an easy day trip to get to a recreation area destination.  Yes Ione parks require workers, but with normal prudent precautions, maintaining an open park with minimal staff for day or overnight use, should not be any different from a supermarket remaining open.  A store will have more issues with more people per square foot, compared to a open area park.  One could always limit how many are using it at a time, like cut camp sites in half to create more separation.
    just some random thoughts...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Denny16 said:
    Good point, but if you feel ill do not travel, if you feel ill while traveling, go home.  I was thinking more of parks being used by local area residents, say within 200 miles so it is an easy day trip to get to a recreation area destination.  Yes Ione parks require workers, but with normal prudent precautions, maintaining an open park with minimal staff for day or overnight use, should not be any different from a supermarket remaining open.  A store will have more issues with more people per square foot, compared to a open area park.  One could always limit how many are using it at a time, like cut camp sites in half to create more separation.
    just some random thoughts...
    cheers
    It’s all about staffing and the facilities, which would need more frequent than usual maintenance to limit the spread of the disease. This virus spreads through droplet and fecal contamination. Protective gear is necessary to protect staff doing the cleanup, and such gear is nearly impossible to obtain for healthcare workers, let alone park staff.

So limit it to self contained RVs, you say? That still takes additional personnel to check each and every camper that comes in.

And if this has shown us anything, it’s that a large chunk of the population refuses to quit acting selfish and stupid, which means someone will end up having to police the sort of dense clustering behavior we’ve been seeing on Florida beaches during spring break. I’m rather stunned they aren’t closing more parks outright instead of leaving them open for day use. (It’ll happen once people start mobbing them now that restaurants and bars are closed.) I live in the heart of ground zero for the US epidemic, and am watching people arguing that their 100 person group camping trip in April, with three planned potlucks and some group events, “will be just fine” even though almost all attendees are 60 and over and riddled with comorbidities. Never mind it’s also illegal under the current state of emergency here. 

The simple fact is that most state and national parks are already short-handed, and will be more so while we get through this. Boondocking areas are still open for camping in many places, as are many private RV parks, and we can hope that will continue. But under a state of emergency, staffing parks is a non-essential service for the general public. It’s on every individual in the country to hunker down in place for a time, for everyone’s sake. Being able to travel as we wish is a luxury; in this crisis, it’s definitely not something we’re guaranteed or entitled to do. 

Edit to add: The other reason for closing them is that in some areas, they’ll be used by the National Guard and state emergency services for staging tent hospitals, isolation, & triage units. That’s already begun in some places.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2020
    Saw a report redirected from The Guardian that the Secretary of the Interior declared National Parks are all free until further notice.  Is this misinformation or verified? Could not find it on the NPS site. 

Announcement:  https://t.co/Iqzg2BPPSg

I went to nps.gov and doi.gov and could find no such post in the recent announcements section.  So I'm leaning towards this being misinformation that Guardian sadly picked up without verification.

Duplicated here:

Moderators: feel free to delete this post if you agree or leave this as an advisory that you can't trust all normal news sources consistently when it comes to state and national park closures and pricing. 

NOTE:  It appears the suspension of the National Park fees is true @DougH.  https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/public-health-update.htm.   —-Sharon - Moderator

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    What are are up against in the US is what will be a rising tide of hospitalizations, since we were a bit "tardy" in responding.  You can be sick and be a "carrier" for weeks before your symptoms show up, and you will spread it everywhere you visit.  From Dave Anderson's blog:

"It is a strategy where we will not see immediate success and the first success will “merely” be a slowdown in the rate of increase of infections and hospitalizations.
    Anyone showing up to the hospital today was infected at the end of February or the first week of March.
    Anyone showing up at the hospital next Monday will have been infected in the first half of March when there were instructions to wash your hands and cough in your elbow and little else.
    Anyone showing up at the hospital at the end of March will have been infected as everyone was heading to the bars and restaurants and Spring Break for one last hurrah before everything started to lock down."

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    It appears the suspension of the National Park fees is true @DougH.  https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/public-health-update.htm
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio