Mods/Upgrades while waiting out social distancing . Please share yours.

DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
While anxiously awaiting the resumption of camping adventures, I completed some Mods/Upgrades to my 2018 Tab 400 and thought it might be nice to begin a new share.  I upgraded the bathroom sink to the newer square sink, changed the galley sink faucet to Dometic AC 542 folding faucet, changed to Hepvo trap, button catches on the upper cabinets, upgraded front tub to new 2021 aluminum Tub and made a new dinette table. I would love to here your upgrades and modifications. 
2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
Massachusetts

Comments

• CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Nice work @DenisP !

We have made a few 'micro mods'. One is pictured below. When we were younger DW always liked a 'Holy Jesus' bar on the A-Pillar of my truck to hang on whilst in 4WD mode. Now we have the Boomer version- to keep from having to cry it out when trying to get up from the bed or toilet.

Sometime later I will get pics of other micro mods we've recently completed.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I installed a Victron 712 Battery Monitor on our 2018 TaB 400, and enclosed the area in the middle under bed storage where the inverter, main fuses and battery distribution block are located to separate this from the storage area.

Reversed the bathroom door, so it opens from the bed side to easier access from back bed area.

Next have parts on order from NuCamp, arriving mid April with dealer shipment, for the new aluminum front tub, new bathroom door trim, new 2021 lighter front table, and a Boondock Pitch Axle unit.  NuCamp is also sending our dealer a new replacement floor for warranty repair.

Here are the mods I have completed so far:

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @DenisP are you able to share the part number for the 2021 front tub? Thanks in advance.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Mounted a victron Inverter in the compartment below the fold down seat back,  drilled the floor and ran 2 gauge wire to the tongue box to power it,   reworked, located the second solar controller,  replaced the 712 shunt with a smart shunt.   Replaced the renogy, dc to dc converter with a Victron unit.  
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Cbusguy, what does the smart shunt do compared to the regular Victron 712 BMV shunt?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM The smart shunt does not come with the display,  other than that, the function looks identical to the 712 in the app.    I was going to buy a 712 for my workshop and I never mounted the display in the trailer,  so seemed like a nice opportunity to upgrade both locations.   

The smart shunt is mounted and seems to perform identically to the 712,  it is only slightly wider by say an inch or so to accommodate the electronics module and bluetooth other than that it is identical.    I know my el cheap kcup brewer draws 88 amps for about a minute to brew a cup of coffee through the new inverter.....
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    @CrabTab the tub part number for the 400 is 56-00-4368. I paid $651.75 for the tub. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Cbusguy said:
    @Sharon_is_SAM The smart shunt does not come with the display,  other than that, the function looks identical to the 712 in the app.    I was going to buy a 712 for my workshop and I never mounted the display in the trailer,  so seemed like a nice opportunity to upgrade both locations.   

The smart shunt is mounted and seems to perform identically to the 712,  it is only slightly wider by say an inch or so to accommodate the electronics module and bluetooth other than that it is identical.    I know my el cheap kcup brewer draws 88 amps for about a minute to brew a cup of coffee through the new inverter.....
    Thanks for the update on the smartshunt. My trailer is stored about an hour away from where I live so I haven't been able to install it yet. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Cbusguy said:

Did you use the 500 amp smartshunt?
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana

• cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2020
    The victron Smartshunt battery monitors come in 3 models, a 500A, a 1000A, and a 2000A model. The 1000A model is about $85 more. Is there any benefit to bumping up to a 1000A model given what we generally run?

I think I've found the answer to my question. Victron really only recommends a bigger shunt than the 500A when it will be monitoring a start battery. The 500A (which is also in the BMV-712) will suffice.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
    Yes, the average load on a TaB is below 200 amps., so a 500 is more than enough.
    cheers
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We had a Maxxair fan installed to replace the Fantastic Fan. People who have done this, what did you do with the Fantastic Fan that was removed? Ours was only used twice, so it's nearly new. 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Goodwill. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Offer it for sale here as replacement parts?  
    Cheers
    The final piece to the puzzle... It is half the size of the renogy much heavier and  no cooling fans.   

edited April 2020
    Smart shunt vs 712 size comparison. Identical except for the electronics package

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Homebodyatheart, I love mine at home.  The 400 has the glass cover over the sink so I don’t need one there. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited April 2020
    Not technical or difficult, but is a great
    solution for extra counter space when cooking, needing the sink and also somewhere to set a hot pan. This aluminum rack is silicone coated so hot pans don’t damage it. It rolls up nicely and fits behind the sink. 
    I might have to look for one. Very nice!

What is the red piece next to it? Drying mat?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    edited April 2020

Today’s brave moment was to (FINALLY) adjust my mixing valve. I figured that doing it when the lines were blown out was a good thing in case I messed up. Piece of cake! And as long as I had the bed all torn up I remembered to set my valves to camping mode.

@Verna I found I needed a bit more space yet still occasionally wanted to drain something or get a bit of water. I can "have it all" with this!

@jkjenn The red thing on the side is a silicone holder of some kind(soap?) What I wanted is something silicone to fill that space so I can set hot things there and not ruin the counter. I usually flip it over. It's a work in progress till I can actually use it camping. 

Edited to add that all is back to camping mode!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Just finished installing a hardwired backup camera on my 400. This is the after completing a project on my TV (2013 Tundra with a Pioneer Avec NEX 8000) in which I installed a forward camera in the grille Logo and a backup camera.  The TV backup camera is wired so when the Tab is hitched the TV camera can be manually disconnected and the Tab video connection made. I have had the capability to have two cameras connected to my Pioneer navigation radio for several years but haven’t had the time or courage to tear into it and get it done.  I am looking forward to using it on a camping trip instead of testing it in my driveway.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @DenisP, got a couple of pics? Always curious! -Denise 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    edited April 2020
    @dragonsdofly The pics are of the front view of TV, the rear camera view, the camera mount and the video cable end for the connection to TV. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Cbusguy said:
    The final piece to the puzzle... It is half the size of the renogy much heavier and  no cooling fans.   

Please expand. I've been reading a great deal of info on TV charging of Li batteries but haven't run across anyone with more than anecdotal info.  Is the output amperage adjustable? Can the output voltage exceed the input? Does it wire directly to the battery?  
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
    @WilliamA   During my initial trips with my battleborn batterys,   I saw that while traveling the batterys were charging at 70 amps and when I stopped to investigate the wiring was warm to the touch........I had invested in a power bastards heavy duty alternator that is capable of 220 amps.

I initially installed a renogy dc to dc converter,  my issue with it is size and the fact is uses fans to cool the unit.    In a nutshell,  the dc to dc converter is a current limited charging and to isolate the trailer battery from the Tow vehicle.   The renogy worked fine it would fully charge my 200 amp hours of lithium as we travelled and never found the need to use the generator we brought with us just in case.     at the end of the summer we didnt bother to bring the generator.

I just recently removed the renogy and installed the victron.    The victron is about half the size and does not have fans to cool the unit.    I have not tested it at this point,  so I cannot review its performance.    in the shop it charges as advertised.

The renogy 20 AMP uses a set of dip switches to setup the output voltage,  the manual is poorly written.     
    The victron uses a pot to set the peak output voltage and the max amperage is 18 amps.   

To answer your question directly,  There is a max amperage,   I have watched the current vary through the charge cycle via my shunt.    Now is that a function of the dc to dc or the battleborn bms,  I do not know.

The output voltage can exceed the input voltage,  but keep in mind it will draw more current from the source.

I wired mine through an ignition controlled high duty rated relay and fuse to the battery.    I generally pull the fuse when not traveling with the trailer,  reasons.   
    Thanks, good to know...
    cheers
  • jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    edited April 2020
    Deb55 said:
    We had a Maxxair fan installed to replace the Fantastic Fan. People who have done this, what did you do with the Fantastic Fan that was removed? Ours was only used twice, so it's nearly new. 
    We're having this done at the Mother Ship along with a couple of minor warranty fixes. We're having them move the Fantastic Fan (and its MaxxAir cover which we had installed at the dealer upon delivery) to the bathroom to replace the cheap, noisy OEM fan. 

How do you like the MaxxAir fan so far? I've heard nothing but good things from lots of happy campers (intentional pun brought on by cabin fever...sorry) :-) 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
This discussion has been closed.