Options

How are you going to camp in the "after"?

OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
I have been thinking a lot about how I am going to navigate campgrounds once they open up and COVID is still out there in the world. What are you going to change? My T@B doesn't have a bathroom, so I am thinking about how to or not to interact with showers/comfort stations (a porta potty and a solar shower?). Also, I am trying to figure out how to deal with the water fill station and grey water dump. Do I need to bring my own water and dump it at home? I don't want to be paranoid, but I lived in Toronto during the first SARS in 2003 and the fear of pandemic is deeply ingrained (we had no idea at the time what was going to happen and luckily SARS1 didn't spread like SARS2). How about the water taps in the campground where I fill my drinking water jugs everyday? I really want to camp again once parks open up, but I don't want to get sick. I am not in what is considered a high risk group, but I already know a couple of people who had COVID (and recovered) and the word is that is is nasty and can even put a healthy person in bed for two or more weeks.
2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I'm going to camp as much as humanly possible when I'm not working. I also think that people will have newly ingrained habits for their safety, germ control, etc. It will be interesting no matter what!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Yes, I guess we don't have to look that far back in history to see that people used to deal with the threat of germs and infection all the time. Having been born in the 1970's I have been very lucky to live through an age where vaccinations and antibiotics put a lot of those former threats to rest.
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    We will probably try to do most of our camping in dispersed areas or campgrounds that are not as popular when we can. 
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Dispersed camping, little contact with other campers while on the road, using my 400’s bathroom (even at rest stops), maybe wearing the heavier rubber gloves for waste dumping, and since I don’t drink from my water tank, I won’t worry any more than I already do about filling the water tank. 

I am allergic to chlorine which leaves me with vinegar to sterilize with, along with manufactured cleaners that do not use chlorine. I will have a couple of spray bottle of cleaners with me, using them diligently. 

As far as camping with friends, I think the 6’ rule is a good one to keep. My advantage is that I have two dogs and both of their leashes are 6’ long. 

No tours of the inside of my 400....sorry, but this Covid-19/Coronavirus really sounds nasty and I do not want it. Ask me and I’ll take photos and send them to you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    edited April 2020
    I will get back to routine as close as possible.  I refuse to be dominated by the threat of getting sick.  That threat has always been there.  That said, no doubt more attention will be paid to interactions with others with mutual courtesy being assumed.  More attention to hand washing.  In general camping people tend to care about others and do what they can to help each other out when needed.  I'm sure that will be reflected by how we all think about fellow campers and consider what we can do to help each other be safe.
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited April 2020

We understand your concern about personal hygiene while travelling. Just last night we were discussing the countless handrails, showers and public restrooms we have used over the decades. We haven't resolved our path forward yet, but are thinking about it like we've done for a trip to get groceries. 

A portable toilet may be something to consider (if you have a place to store it in your setup).

I usually take a sponge bath/wash out of a basin when we are boondocking. The process served us well through decades of tent camping.  We currently use Aloe Vesta Body Wash and Shampoo. It is a product designed for use in hospitals, etc. It doesn’t have any residue feel if you don’t get it all washed off. If you have long hair, perhaps something like a solar shower would work for you. We have used them in the past too, albeit while dressed and outside.

Perhaps wearing nitrile or vinyl gloves while turning the spigot on and off will work while getting water. At the least, some good hand washing afterwards.

The most important thing is that you are comfortable with knowing you’re being proactive in your health while on the road. Every one of us needs to do what they think is best for themselves and the people they interact with. 

We do have time to figure it out. This will all take a while...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Since I don't have a bath and camp in full service campgrounds, I will use my portapotty for the middle of the night, but carry spray cleaner, shower shoes, etc, for going to the showers and bathrooms.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    I do not plan on changing a thing. This isn’t the first virus in history and it won’t be the last. 
    Yep.  Same here.  Camp like we did before.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I think it is wise to make an extra effort to sanitize those unavoidable public areas such as faucet handles to access drinking water, water and electric hook ups at the site and wash your hands.  I usually spray water connections with 50% bleach anyway.  Fill up with water at home if you can.  Just because it didn’t get us the first time around doesn’t mean we are invincible.  I won’t tempt fate because I don’t want it to be my last virus and I especially don’t want to hurt someone else.  
    I've always used gloves to hook up to the sewer, but you just made a good point, I'll spray down the water hose connection too. Probably use gloves to hook up the electric too, then dispose after hooking up. We never use the provided picnic table, use our own, because they just don't fit in our setup.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited April 2020
    Like sharon and verna,  limit exposure points,   gas pumps,  water spigots, common shower houses.   

Working at a hospital and seeing the patients daily,  the virus is no joke and it is not an easy way to go.  Be proactive and protect yourself.

One of our favorite things to do while traveling is sample local offerings.....beers, wines, meads, spirits and food.    Not sure how we can do that without falling victim to the cleanliness of the establishment.    for beers and wines either bring our own mugs and glasses or hopefully they will use disposable.    restaurants I have no idea.....I suppose the same deal disposable and take out only.   

It just takes one cook, bar tender or sick patron to impact many others......The taking of temps at the door is ignorant as 80 percent do not show any symptoms.   I don't know the answer,  I can simply ask the questions.

@Sharon_is_SAM the problem is the first time around isnt over yet.   Florida and Georgia are opening back up and their daily confirmed cases are still increasing,   Economy is more important than community health, I guess.    I hope an accurate antibody test is widely available soon and we can see who has had it for sure and get accurate numbers.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    Until I'm tested, you are tested, and they are tested, I'll be in my driveway, thanks.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 I think the current testing model is pretty worthless.......as you can test negative to day and positive tomorrow.    An accurate antibody test is key IMO.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Looking forward to less crowded campgrounds. Although I don’t think that will happen.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Cbusguy said:
    @pthomas745 I think the current testing model is pretty worthless.......as you can test negative to day and positive tomorrow.    An accurate antibody test is key IMO.
    An accurate antibody test is absolutely key for research, but the presence of antibodies doesn’t guarantee immunity, and a lot of governments don’t seem to quite understand that when they talk about reopening things and “immunity passports”. Other coronaviruses confer only weak immunity that lasts as little as a few months. We can hope for better luck with this one, but we sure can’t count on it. I’m banking less on immunity or a vaccine, and more on quick diagnosis followed by effective treatments and anti virals, so that at least if you get it, it doesn’t have the chance to make the jump to the severe stage.

I’m considered possible high risk, so I’m not sure at what point I’ll feel comfortable camping or traveling again, but I tend to doubt it’ll be this summer unless this thing magically burns itself out. I’ve been on intubated life support with severe pneumonia before; it’s not an experience I recommend or care to repeat. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Happily. 😁

I think possible that I had it in January before we knew it was around. I was the sickest I have ever been in my life. Started with a sore throat, then a cough and high fever for over  week. I was really sick for close to three weeks and to be honest, it was a little scary. At times, it felt like I was getting pneumonia. I hope I had it and hope the antibodies testing cones fast enough and can detect way back to January. A colleague on the other side of the state had the same thing and she also believ we s it is possible she had it.

Given that it was flu season and I did not get tested, it's hard to know, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    My plan for this year was already more dispersed camping.  That will still be the plan.  When I stop for gas/etc I sanitize my hands and credit card before and after use.  Will continue that and use gloves where appropriate.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP you are correct....there are 9 strains of this currently.    Who knows if you catch one whether you are immune from all.   

We passed a nasty flu around the department middle of February which isn't unusual for us as we are in a hospital.   We are also wondering if we had it as well.  

Speaking with our infection control folks they seem to think the vaccine will just be added in with your annual flu shot and changed based on which strain they project will hit.    But they are speculating as well
  • Options
    Cbusguy said:

Speaking with our infection control folks they seem to think the vaccine will just be added in with your annual flu shot and changed based on which strain they project will hit.    But they are speculating as well
    I hadn’t seen this, interesting!

As far as camping goes, I’m still not well outfitted for boondocking—no built in solar, for example. I might need to spend this time figuring out how to improve my setup for more dispersed sites.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Just read a sad statistic out of New York - 97% of patients over the age of 60 who are placed on a ventilator do not survive.  Definitely do not want to risk being part of that statistic.  Being over vigilant is a small price to pay.  Although, relative to plane and hotel  travel, camping does seem like you can limit your risk.  @Cbusguy, I have read that they anticipate a cycling of the virus.  No telling how long it will be around.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Just read a sad statistic out of New York - 97% of patients over the age of 60 who are placed on a ventilator do not survive.  Definitely do not want to risk being part of that statistic.  Being over vigilant is a small price to pay.  Although, relative to plane and hotel  travel, camping does seem like you can limit your risk.  @Cbusguy, I have read that they anticipate a cycling of the virus.  No telling how long it will be around.
    For perspective: I’ve been told that under normal (non pandemic) conditions around 50% of all patients put on a ventilator for emergency respiratory assistance don’t survive, regardless of disease and age. It’s incredibly hard on your body on top of whatever illness you’re battling, and not a cure all even in the best of times. The most recent statistic I saw for the Seattle area was running about 85% death rate for COVID-intubated patients, but that was a week or so back. New York is clearly even worse off.

A good friend has been dealing with both of her senior parents having contracted COVID; they were hospitalized within a day of each other. Her Mom passed away ten days ago (intubated, got better enough to breathe on her own and even converse on the phone; then her immune system went into a cytokine storm and she was gone). Her Dad is still at the hospital and still testing positive (three weeks and counting), though thankfully he is slowly improving. Of course, no one is allowed to visit him even to comfort him in his grief.

This virus is brutal. I’d rather be thought overly cautious and even paranoid at this point than to take it too lightly and risk the lives of those I care about or come in contact with. 

(Edited for clarity)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @Sharon_is_SAM the planning I have participated in has no end date and our auxillary care site has no planned termination date.  

@VictoriaP the numbers Sharon posted are accurate.....very few put on vents come off alive.   We are doing a bit better than that but your chances are significantly less than 50/50
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Until I'm tested, you are tested, and they are tested, I'll be in my driveway, thanks.

You might as well put in 30 amp, sewer and water in your driveway.  This is the new normal.  It ain't going away.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    When I feel I can get gas across the states and access to all the parks, we're going.  Like we used to.  Being in my truck or at a State park is much safer than being cooped up in a neighbor hood or condo.  I have to go out for groceries whether Im stuck at home or in my trailer.  Lets roll!
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    It's hard to imagine getting back to camping so soon. All of those little things you take for granted, like running into Walmart for milk, standing in line for an ice cream, using the shower at the comfort station feel so sinister right now. Perhaps the driveway is where you will find me this summer! That said, I live in a tourist town, and if the tourist attractions are closed this summer it might be nice time to enjoy my hometown and the surrounding countryside in a way I have never seen it in the summer - empty!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2020
    Yes, you and me both.  We have
     a sewer connection in our old drive area and I added a 30-amp power hookup.  Water is available on a 30-foot hose, but thinking of making this connection even closer, PVC pipe is cheap.
    When I get bored in the drive, I can Boondock in one of our fields, once they get a little dryer, which they will in a month or so.

Meanwhile, Stay Safe every one.  
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    You are so lucky to have acreage. If I had fields behind my house, I don't think I would ever camp anywhere else!
  • Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    edited April 2020
    Our typical camping expeditions were roughly divided into two types last year: Camping by ourselves, and camping with a group of friends, all in state parks. 

I don't think our own outings will change a whole lot. We largely keep to ourselves minus a friendly wave or some small talk as we pass folks sitting outside, so aside from some extra continued social distancing, I think the biggest difference will be some extra sanitizing at the hookups, dump stations, and shower and restoom facilities should we need to use them. Honestly though, we were already pretty careful there just out of basic hygiene concerns. Ohio state parks are very well kept, but public spaces like that gave me the heebie-jeebies long before COVID-19 was a concern.

Camping with friends will be more difficult as we typically congregate together for meals. I'm not ready to reduce the distance I stand from anyone yet, and I don't want to pick up the bottle of mustard someone else just put down, even if we are good friends. I don't really want to reach into someone else's cooler and drink a can of their soda, or use utensils from their trailer.

I'm not sure how to politely say "keep your distance" or "please don't sit in my camp chair" or  "no, I don't want to open the door of your trailer and then pick up my hamburger" without offending someone, and I know not everyone is going to be on the same page. It will be a mix of those who want to continue with our current measures and those who will jump right back into their old habits. The potential for awkwardness is high, but I'll risk offending someone before I'll do something I'm not comfortable with. 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jameskuzman wouldn’t it be nice if one of those garden flags had something like “We are still keeping our distance due to Covid-19”?  Even a removable decal for the door or front of the camper. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”