Options

Propane Tank Questions

13»

Comments

• Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    Has anyone tried to Mopeka Blue Tooth tank gauges?

https://mopeka.com/
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    jrhamel said:

Yeah, I didn't find it very effective. You have to put the tank on these rubber feet they got lost pretty quickly.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    jrhamel said:

I have one and like it.  As jkjenn references, you have to raise the tank to put it on the bottom.  I didn't use rubber feet but put together some plastic blocks to raise the tank enough.  The gauge itself works well and tells you the % gas left.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @Mrlaroo. The trailer is amazing frugal with propane use, even using the fridge on propane.   We have used nearly a tank in about a year.  

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ArizonayetiArizonayeti Member Posts: 26
    @tybladesmith  Yes, I have the Truma LevelCheck and really like it.  It's compact, lightweight, gives reproducible results, and very easy to use.  After using it the past year, it can give you a clear gauge on how much propane is left. It's small enough to check the side of the tank while it is in the storage tub. Since I have lots of other stuff crammed into the bin, and I have the tank secured with the retaining bracket, I didn't think a weight-based monitor was the best option.  It appears the Truma website is running a discount and would be cheaper than Amazon, but not sure about shipping.  Cheers!
    2020 T@B 400 BL w/solar.  TV 2018 4Runner w/ Fox 2" lift. 
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    There are 4.26 pounds of propane per gallon. So a 20 pound tank has approximately 4.6 gallons of propane in it. The Blue Rhino exchange tanks are 15 pounds, 25% less per tank, I also carry a spare 20 pound tank. I use the spare for the grill and camp stove both rather than cooking inside.

The issue with a 30 pound tank will be height, they are approximately 50% taller because they are the same diameter.

The best method is to weigh it, there is a "Tare Weight" stamped on all tanks. Empty tank weight for a 20 pound tank is approximately 17 pounds.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Dutch061 said:
    There are 4.26 pounds of propane per gallon.
    So a 20 pound tank has approximately 4.6 gallons of propane in it.
    The Blue Rhino exchange tanks are 15 pounds, 25% less per tank,
    Believe DOT rules set the maximum fill at around 80% of rated capacity so fuel can expand on hot days. Even if you have a propane dealer fill your tank; a 20# tank will have ~ 16# of usable fuel when it is sold/called full.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    That 80% rule is why the big box stores only fill to 16 pounds.  However, they misunderstand the rule.  A 20 pound tank is rated to fill to 20 pounds--and that is 80% of the tank capacity.  A propane dealer will fill your tank to 20 pounds.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    My convenient local hardware store typically puts 4.0 gallons in an empty tank. When I weight my tanks (before and after filling) this translates into 17.5 to 19+ pounds--and it's not clear why it is not always consistent.
    In the past, they have sometimes filled based on the final weight of the cylinder--not a real good approach since cylinder tare weights can vary by a couple pounds. When they would do this I would end up with as little as 15 pounds in my "fill." I pay by the gallon so I wasn't getting cheated from a $$$ perspective, but it was aggravating to start out with 3/4s of tank.
    Bottom line is I think it depends on the place and the attendant. The only way you can know exactly what you are getting is to weigh the tank yourself before and after, and factor in the tare weight as well if the tank is not completely empty.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @ScottG
    Zackly right!  I fill at a propane dealer (one that fills propane tanks for people out in the county who do not have a gas line to the house) not a store that also fills propane bottles.  A propane dealer knows the rules about filling as well as recertifying those 20 pound bottles.  Unless your tank is rusted and dented it should only require a visual inspection and that should cost less than $5.00.  If your tank is in bad shape it may require a water column test and then it would probably be cheaper to buy a new tank.  They also fill the tank on a scale so they know when 20 pounds is in the tank and only charge for the propane they add--not a flat fee for the filling operation regardless of how much propane they added.
    Propane dealers may be hard to find in the middle of a large (or even medium sized) city.  Look around on the outskirts of town.  They are easier to find in small towns.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited May 2020
    Dutch061 said:
    There are 4.26 pounds of propane per gallon.
    So a 20 pound tank has approximately 4.6 gallons of propane in it.
    The Blue Rhino exchange tanks are 15 pounds, 25% less per tank,
    Believe DOT rules set the maximum fill at around 80% of rated capacity so fuel can expand on hot days. Even if you have a propane dealer fill your tank; a 20# tank will have ~ 16# of usable fuel when it is sold/called full.

Respectfully, you are not correct in your information. ALL modern Tanks (Under 40 Lb Capacity) are equipped with Overfill Protection Devices (Triangular Knob) to prevent you from going past the 80% liquid fill point and potentially causing problems. When the tank is full, there is a float that closes the valve and stops additional propane from being added. A 20 pound tank will hold 20 pounds of liquid propane.

I doubt anyone has an older tank (Pre-OPD) that is being filled anymore. I had a couple but it has been years ago, like at least 10 at this point.

Here is a link with some pictures and additional information for reference.

2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    You can't legally get a non OPD tank filled, so everyone who gets a tank filled should be getting close to 20 pounds of propane or around 4.7 gallons. They hold this amount and still have a 20% safety margin for expansion.

Blue Rhino fills their tanks to 15 pounds, so about 1.1 gallons less than full. You only get a 3/4 full tank with Blue Rhino and I suspect most other exchange services.

At the local Lowe's right now the exchange Blue Rhino tanks with 15 pounds are $19.97 which works out to be about $5.59/gal.

I can get my tank filled locally several places with 10 minutes of the house and I just saw $1.59/gallon today, so savings of $4 a gallon filling my tank.

A tank exchange is convenient if you have no other close by option, but certainly isn't the most economical.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Here's the math, if anyone is interested.

A gallon of propane weighs 4.24 lbs. (at the industry standard of 60° F.)

Thus, 20 lbs. ÷ 4.24 = 4.7 gal.

The below site explains the relationship between propane temperature and volume.  It is interesting reading and helpful in understanding why a propane tank is designed to leave room for expansion caused by temperature changes.

https://www.propane101.com/propanevolumecorrection.htm

I found the site while trying to figure out why I kept seeing slightly different values for the weight of a gallon of propane.  I have seen it discussed as 4.2, 4.22, 4.23, 4.24 and 4.25.  I assume those slight differences are based upon the temperature being used as a reference point. 

NOTE:  I found an identical copy of the info provided on that web post on a Texas propane company's website (dated two years earlier), so I do not know the original source of the information.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    In addition to cost, the other downside of a propane exchange is that their bottles are often pretty beaten up - made the mistake of exchanging our nice new bottle that came with our T@B, and so now have one where it is obvious the rust is covered up by light grey paint.  Hoping for a better exchange next time, and then will just refill the nice bottle at our local UHaul.
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    @elbereth, U-Haul sells a reasonably priced 20lb tank with an integrated float gauge. If you are going there anyway, you might just cut your losses and pick up one of those.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    ScottG said:
    @elbereth, U-Haul sells a reasonably priced 20lb tank with an integrated float gauge. If you are going there anyway, you might just cut your losses and pick up one of those.
    Costco also usually has them in the summer. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab