Options

Mattress Topper Suggestions Please

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited October 2020
    The report from my wife (who is an expert at sleeping :) ) is that she really likes the topper. In fact, so much that there will likely be one added to the bed in the house.

Thanks to all who had posted previously and shared ideas and sources, my only beef with the 3 cushions was the gap and the topper took care of that 100%.

*** Ugh, from and form are my two favorite spelled words that get messed up  :o

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    @Dutch061, Where did you get the topper made?  Thanks
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Denny16, see p. 1 of this discussion.  They purchased it from "Mattress Insider."
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I missed that, found the link, thanks.
    cheers
  • Options
    Susan007Susan007 Member Posts: 5
    dutch061 Looks great and would love to order this for our 2021 Tab 400 boondock!! Can you Please confirm measurements to provide mattress insider:  56” Wide at head/top, 79” length along left back wall, 49” Wide at foot/bottom, and and 73” long on front/right edge.  Also, can you tell me thickness of the existing mattress cushion?  Guessing around 4” but can’t find that info and haven’t picked up our trailer yet.  Thanks!
    Susan/
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
    2020 Kia Telluride AWD/
    Hattiesburg, MS
  • Options
    andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    We too are huge fans of Mattress Insider! After trying a 2.5" memory foam topper for a couple of nights and weren't very pleased, we ordered the 2" Brookside Memory Foam topper with Organic Cotton from from them and couldn't be happeier/ Great product and great service from great people.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    +1 for Mattress Insider.  I use the "twin bed" mod and went with a 35x72 2 inch memory foam.  Just got it the other day, and it is so much easier to deal with compared to the cut memory foam I was using.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Here is the part number and all of the other details from my order. Delivered to my doorstep it was $180.00, it is the Brookside 2" with Organic Cotton with the custom dimensions and the corner cut off to fit. The factory cushions are 2-2 1/2" thick.

• Part Number::

vc7922jt

• Notes::

CC BR A 79 B 56 C 73 D 49

• Dimensions::

56 x 79 x 2

• Product Type::

Custom Luxury Memory Foam Topper

• Cover:

Other (see notes below)

• Layer #1::

Organic Cotton Quilted Brookside

• Layer #2::

1 4 LB Open Cell Certipurus Memory Foam

• Layer #3::

1 1.8 LB Super Soft Comfort Foam

• Layer #4::

Non-skid fabric bottom

• Layer #5::

No straps

Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Susan007Susan007 Member Posts: 5
    @Dutch061Looks great and would love to order this for our 2021 Tab 400 boondock!! Can you Please confirm measurements to provide mattress insider:  56” Wide at head/top, 79” length along left back wall, 49” Wide at foot/bottom, and and 73” long on f…
    Susan/
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
    2020 Kia Telluride AWD/
    Hattiesburg, MS
  • Options
    Susan007 said:
    @Dutch061Looks great and would love to order this for our 2021 Tab 400 boondock!! Can you Please confirm measurements to provide mattress insider:  56” Wide at head/top, 79” length along left back wall, 49” Wide at foot/bottom, and and 73” long on f…
    If you call Mattress Insider and give them the order number from the information I posted, they can take care of you.

Here is the text from my previous post with the dimensions, I didn't order it with straps because it can't slide off.

56" at the top, 79" at the back, 73" on the front edge, and 49" at the foot of the bed. I was a little worried only because my measurements were different than what NuCamp publishes. 

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I followed another user's idea. I bought a 2" memory foam topper from Walmart. Cut it to fit each of the bed mattress sections, held in place on each piece with cot sheets. It is very comfy. I cut squares of wood and covered them. Then screwed each block on the inside of the back divider. The gap now doesnt close. I used 4 blocks.
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Bayliss said:
    @4ncar, we paid $199.00 in June 2019.  Our measurements for a 2019 320 S Boondock Lite is 70" W x 73" L (which are the measurements in the T@B sales brochure for our model.)
    I have a 2018 320S Boondock and leaning toward getting the Mattress Insider Brookside topper.  I can't get a solid measurement over the cushions, but the brochure says the bed area is 70" x 73" (my measurement was more like 70" x 69" ???).  Did you measure yours or just go with what the brochure said?  Any other tips?  Thanks.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    edited October 2020
    @PNWtabber, we measured ours.

I'm not clear on what you mean when you say you can't get a solid measurement over the cushions.  Just lay down all the cushions as you would when making the bed.  Then, measure the cushion area from end to end in each direction (i.e., rear-to-front and side-to-side.)  Essentially, you will be measuring from the face/side of the rear wood cabinet where the cushion rests against it to the back side of the bathroom wall where the television is mounted, and then from the driver's side wall to the passenger side wall.

The 2018 brochure that I reviewed online does show the bed size as being 70" x 73", so I'm not sure why your measurement is coming up short in one direction at 69."  Regardless, I recommend using your actual measurements.  If you have someone that can help you do the measuring, it will be more accurate, because they can hold one end of the tape measure while you pull the other end tight for a better reading of the length.  
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    @Bayliss -- I'll try measuring on the side.  I've been measuring on the top, but the edges of the cushions are rounded down, so not flat.  Maybe I should be measuring the "frame" rather than the cushions.

• Options
    @PNWtabber, just to be clear, the mattress topper simply lays on top of your T@B cushions.  They do not wrap around the T@B cushions.  The topper includes corner straps that hold the topper in place.  Our straps are 4", so yours will likely be the same (just measure the approximate depth/width of your cushions.)

• Options
    @Bayliss, I don't think I am communicating the problem properly.  I will figure it out.  Thanks.

• Options
    @PNWtabber, measure the opening area. Meaning that you measure wall to wall and then from the top of the bed to the wall of the bathroom. When I measured for our 400, this is exactly how I measured because the cushions in a 400 are loose enough to have gaps. The gaps was the primary reason for the topper with the secondary to make it a little less firm.

You won't need straps because it can't go anywhere.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    @Dutch061 can you confirm the dimensions you’ve listed above will work if one does NOT do the trim modification that you did? Please and thanks!
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    Does anyone have experience with a mattress topper they like that is NOT memory foam?
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    LL Bean self inflating Camp Futon. They have both single ones and a double sized one. They inflate quickly, keeps their air. I put a down alternative mattress pad over the Camp Futon and then the fitted sheet over both. Everything stayed in place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Dutch061 can you confirm the dimensions you’ve listed above will work if one does NOT do the trim modification that you did? Please and thanks!
    On mine it will, but you will have issues with the "cut" corner not fitting properly. Not an issue if you are just going to use a foam topper, but the one we used is covered etc. and you wouldn't want to have to modify. I think it was an extra $20 to get a custom made.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    You can also add closed-cell foam to the base cushions, which prevents that 'bottoming out onto plywood' feeling: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12345/quick-fix-for-foam-cushions#latest
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    We just received our topper from Mattressinsider.com this morning. Thank you, @Dutch061 for the custom measurements. Initial impressions are soft, but supportive and I think we'll be happy with it overall.
    Our new "bedprint" will be just a wee bit smaller than our Cal-King at home, but we're looking forward to some cozy nights in our T@B 400 when it arrives this Spring.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @rhyno  Glad I could help! If you enjoy it as much as my wife does ours, you will be getting one for the California king too. In fact when we get back to NC, I will be ordering one for our king bed.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    jonnjonn Member Posts: 31
    Dutch061 said:
    The report from my wife (who is an expert at sleeping :) ) is that she really likes the topper. In fact, so much that there will likely be one added to the bed in the house.

Thanks to all who had posted previously and shared ideas and sources, my only beef with the 3 cushions was the gap and the topper took care of that 100%.

*** Ugh, from and form are my two favorite spelled words that get messed up  :o

Brad
    Dutch, one question. did the topper make the gaps go away?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @jonn , I am not sure if you mean that there are gaps around the edges (that would seem the most logical) but we never had any gaps when we put it on our bed. It fit perfectly, but I took measurements also. Did you take actual measurements of your bed, do you also have a 2020? We did end up buying another one for our bed in the house, when I asked my wife she said "get the same one you put in the camper". 

Not sure if this helped or not.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    @jonn. If you are referring to the seams between the cushions thst make up the bed mattress, then yes, a topper will eliminate the seams from being noticed.  As least it does on ours.
    cheers
  • Options
    Tabbers4LifeTabbers4Life Member Posts: 9
    Thank you *so* much Dutch061 for the custom topper measurements!  We pick up our new 2021 T@b 400 Boondock in about a month, and I've been searching high and low to find these measurements so I can order a topper in advance.  And you've made it so easy by giving us your order number :)

I do have one question though, do you find your topper to lead to overly warm sleeping?  My guess is no, since you like it so much, but we had a memory foam topper years ago that we had to get rid of for this reason, so I had to ask.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I sleep very warm all the time, my wife sleeps cooler. We ordered a protector from amazon to cover both the one on our bed and  the one in the 400 which has helped the warmth issue at home but was ordered to mainly protect the bed since I sweat so bad. My wife sleeps under 2 x blankets and I partially use 1 blanket to give you an idea on how warm I sleep. When we camp, we use separate blankets to aid the temperature issue. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PWNH4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is what we ordered.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    A a double bed mattress protector will fit better, as the bunk is closer to a Double Full size than it is a Queen.
    cheers