Options

solar only or generator

Bart69Bart69 Member Posts: 2
I'm new to RV ing , just bought a 2021 nucamp 400 boondocks, and I'm considering getting a generator. Question is do I need one ? the boondocks has a 193 watt solar panel on the roof ,will this keep the batteries up for several days of boon docking using the refrigerator and lights?

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2021
    Warning: Prejudicial opinions following!

Go with the solar. Upgrade it and your battery capacity if you find you need to do so. Manage your power usage.

If you camp anywhere in proximity to others trying to enjoy nature, they will thank you!  ;-)

(And welcome to the forum!)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    edited February 2021
    It depends on solar conditions where/when you camp. No sun = no power. 
    Also, it’s really important to bring your fridge down to 40deg using shore power or do this well in advance so the solar has a chance to replenish the battery. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    May depend on where you live and camp. The further north you are, the less effective solar is even in full sun during the summer. If you’re in the south? I’ve yet to hear of anyone with the 400’s stock solar and batteries with some conservative use having much issue for a few days at a time or even longer. Adding a portable panel would be an easy upgrade if needed.

If you live further north or camp in predominantly heavily treed areas for longer than a couple of days at a time, a small generator for backup power may be helpful. Especially if you live on the rainy side of the Cascades. Just be aware that some places limit your generator use to certain hours, and they may be banned outright at times during wildfire season in the Western states.

Or just spend a night here and there in a site with hookups to recharge.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    In my humble opinion it is a loaded question. Part of the answer is the options you have, IE 2 way compressor refrigerator VS. 3 way absorption refrigerator etc.  We have a 2020 400 BDL and quite often find ourselves without the ability to get good sun on the solar (NC typically in the mountains), which means that we have issues getting the batteries topped off daily. In addition, when it is hot (we rarely camp in a campground which BTW is why we purchased a Boondock) we like to be able to cool it off inside. 

I purchased a Predator 3500 watt generator from Harbor Freight, as quiet as the Honda 3000 and was rated higher by Consumer Reports for a couple of years, now it is 1 or 2 point lower. This generator allows us to operate everything in the camper at the same time, plus charge the batteries. I will be upgrading the convertor from the factory installed WFCO and moving it closer to the batteries to better charge the batteries in less time  but that is another topic completely.

Bottom line, it will depend on how you prefer to camp, availability of sunshine on the panels, number of days you plan to be "in the boonies", and your desire (or lack of) for things like air conditioning.  

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    I am not a generator fan.  But, that is me.  Some owners don't have choices.  They may have needs that make a generator a necessity.  Air conditioning/CPAP/inability to rig up a portable system that might require specialized rocket science solar knowledge.  So, I try not to judge.  But, sometimes it is hard not to.

There are many threads about battery/solar/fridges just in the last few months.  It takes a while to get up to speed on how all this works together:  how big is your battery, how many amp hours from the battery will the fridge use (what fridge will you have?) and ...is the sun out? Do you need to run anything special?  CPAP?  Laptops?  Your portable astrophotography telescope?  All those things need to get tossed into the mix.
    Questions like this are like vehicle range:  How far will my car go on a tank of gas?  What car?  How big is the tank?  How fast will you drive? Is it raining?  Windy? Snowing?  Once you fill in the numbers into the equation, then things will become clearer.
    Here is a thread that discusses battery size, with plenty of numbers concerning the power use of the newer fridges.  And, a photo from the astrophotographer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    I'll echo @ScottG here. And your fellow boondockers WILL thank you. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    first ?
    Do you want AC
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I would wait, get your trailer and try it out for a few outings, the first time you camp in it should be close to or at home, in Alde there is an issue with anything, kind of like a trail dry run.  After a few camp trips, you will see how much power you are using, and if you need the air conditioning.

We have a TaB400 BD, solar and compressor fridge.  We are able to camp for three to four days in fall, northern sun, without any issues, temps are cool enough to where we didn’t need the AC.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    TAOSMACTAOSMAC Member Posts: 27
    Camped early fall 2020 with our 2021-400 BDL in the Colorado Rockies. One week we had a few days with overcast sky's from forest fire smoke and then a major snow storm hit us. We were snowed in for a couple days and solar system didn’t produce much. A generator sure would have been handy. 
    2021 T@B 400BDL Solar, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel Diesel
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    But that is not going to be an average normal camping situation...  and yes, a backup generator would have been grand!
    Cheers
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Denny16 said:
    But that is not going to be a normal camping situation...  and yes, a backup generator would have been grand!
    Cheers
    For me, that is a normal situation. Expanded battery capacity can be a big help in that scenario. 

I probably won't opt for a generator mostly because I just don't ha e enough space. If I hit enough days where I couldn't recharge, I would head for an electric site.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    OK Jenn, normal for you, but not the average situation.  I agree, increasing solar and battery is a good option.
    cheers
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    A couple of things that will help a lot, are to install a Victron battery monitor, and to replace the Fantastic Fan with a Maxxfan Deluxe. With the monitor, you'll be able to see exactly what you're using, and what you need to shut down. The new fan will be way more efficient, plus quieter. Those two things allowed us to get the most out of our rooftop solar and the 2 AGM batteries in our 2018 T@B 400, even in partial shade. 
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    I agree with @Deb55 that upgrading the fan helps a lot with your power budget, but there's a cheaper alternative to replacing the fan with the Maxxfan Deluxe, you can just upgrade the existing fan with this kit.  This upgrade also leaves all the factory-installed weatherproofing undisturbed.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    And the upgrade kit gives you better fan speed control, reduced power consumption and a remote fat control.  What’s not to like.  :)
    cheers
  • Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    $175, I can buy another battery for less or a solar panel,
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Options
    Still a $149 for the upgrade, easy install, vs $300 for a MaxAir and more involved install requiring a proof access.
    cheers
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    I'm sure that the fan upgrade is worth it for some people, but I really don't use mine very much (maybe because of the outdoor kitchen - I don't know) so I was pretty happy with this fan mod + Aero vent cover.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    That works...
    cheers
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @rh5555 there are a couple of reasons that I like the Maxxfan. One, you can continue to run it in the rain--leaving it open and running with no rain coming in (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the upgrade to the Fantastic Fan just closes and shuts off in the rain). Two, I was able to replace the terrible bathroom fan with the Fantastic Fan that was removed. The bathroom fan was completely broken, so this worked well. 
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Deb55
    Agreed. I moved the Fantastic Fan into the bath and installed the MaxxAir in the living space. It can also serve as a "ceiling fan" when running heat or A/C to keep air moving and the vent closed. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    That works. I have the Fantastic Fan exterior hood already so had the rain issue covered or I would have made the switch too
    cheers