Inside Lithium install 2022 Tab 320S Boondock

homerdhomerd Member Posts: 37
Just completed my install. I’d like to thank all those who contributed to all information on this site! I had to dig but I did find all I needed!
2022 Tab 320S Boodock
2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5
2013 KZ Durango 336RE
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ Duramax
Akron, Ohio Summer/Fall and out camping
Largo, Florida Winter

Comments

• PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    homerd said:
    Just completed my install. I’d like to thank all those who contributed to all information on this site! I had to dig but I did find all I needed!
    Would you please share the details as to what you did to change the wiring and if you added any extra components such as a DC-DC charger, thanks! 

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• ColMagColMag Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2022
    @homerd I'm just curious what device you are using your SmartShunt to monitor? Usually it is used to monitor the trailer battery (all in/out currents) but that's not the way it looks wired here. (--at least from what I know so far, which isn't much yet, since I so far only have the SmartShunt and SmartSolar but don't have the Tab yet! I've only read the manuals and am keen to keep learning.) Normally, I think 1 much larger wire would go from the right-side -ve battery terminal to the right-side SmartShunt terminal bolt. All those other wires currently on the right-side -ve battery terminal would normally go instead to the left-side SmartShunt terminal bolt. That way everything would go through the SmartShunt and be measured, but here just 1 thing (via 1 white wire) is going through the SmartShunt and being measured. I'm just wondering what is the selected device that you are measuring, and how/why did you pick only that device? Thanks!
  • homerdhomerd Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2022
    You are correct in wiring, I just corrected it. All load wires going to left side of shunt and one from the right side of shunt to the battery. This is a Victron Smart shunt. LOL, still learning. Thank you ColMag
    2022 Tab 320S Boodock
    2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    2013 KZ Durango 336RE
    Largo, Florida Winter

Corrected
    2022 Tab 320S Boodock
    2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    2013 KZ Durango 336RE
    Largo, Florida Winter

What I learned:
    All wires hot and negative are connected at the 7 pin box panel front left of trailer (above). The grounds are connected to a ground bar inside by charger/inverter. Simply, you just need to identify the wires from Solar Charger (2 wires) red and white. I used these wires to connect to the SAE plug on tub. This way it’s already wired to solar charger and just need to connect to battery once inside. I decided to leave the battery switch. This way I did not have to disconnect anything from the 7 way panal. I electric taped up the ground and also stuck in switch box. Many of the wires left over with fuses can be used inside. Once inside you will see two hot wires together into a Wago 2 wire connector. You need a 3, I could only find a 5. These were tough to find locally and could only find a 15 pack on Amazon. (send me self a addressed envelope and I’ll send you one). You will also need 3/8 battery connectors and you’ll find them at a auto parts store. The battery fit is tight inside. I unscrewed closest side of the strap holding the wires and moved them as far back as possible and screwed in. I completely removed the water strap. The battery tray I chose due to the screws to attach are inside the tray. This barely fit so I would order same tray on Amazon NOCO BT 27S. I contacted Battery Born about DC charger and it is not necessary. Good luck, I’m not skilled in anyway to perform this task but I accomplished this. It works! I’m happy. YOU CAN DO IT

2022 Tab 320S Boodock
    2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    2013 KZ Durango 336RE
    Largo, Florida Winter

• DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    Nice! I did dual BBs and had them installed in the other wheel well area on the passenger side. I have no battery trays; they are heavy enough and fit tight enough in that spot that they don't move. 
  • SprocketSprocket Member Posts: 46
    I am so impressed! I am thinking about trying this.  Any chance you would post a step by step?  Or possibly answer a bunch of questions?
    Subaru Wilderness/Tab320s 2022
    I have read that I need to set the converter to lithium batteries, and I am not even sure how to do that.

Hit me up with any question, the hardest part is starting😃
    2022 Tab 320S Boodock
    2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    2013 KZ Durango 336RE
    Largo, Florida Winter

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Sprocket - there is a tiny switch within the converter box.  Just flip it to “ON”.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited May 2022
    @Sprocket The converter with lithium switch pictured above is present on model year 2022 only. Older models don’t have this converter as stock, and therefore need to be replaced if you want to fully charge a LiFePo battery. Many folks opt to either get full charge via solar, or via a portable battery charger that can be set for the higher rate needed for lithium charging.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Thanks. For the help with the switch Sharon. That seems simple enough. Fortunately I have the 2022.  Unfortunately, My new “lithium” battery arrived yesterday.  Only They sent an AGM instead.  So I am still waiting for the battery  but I do have a couple questions for you homers starting at the front box. There are two sets of wires that come into the Al box to the battery. In your picture, you have one set hooked to a connector …is this for an extra solar panel?  What did you do with the other wires?  Do you fish them back in?
    SPROCKET. Please see above, I tried to explain. You do not need to fish thru. The wires you trace back from the battery to the 7 pin box on the right side of the trailer frame go to the hot connector (pictured above). So they are not needed for anything up front. Instead of disconnecting from 7 pin box, I left connected in the battery box. I also tucked the ground in there. The other two wires go to your Victron 75/10 solar. I unconnected from the battery and battery and battery switch and used them at the SAE solar plug on the side of the tub(pictured above). Be sure to cut the wires so you have enough length to be re-used inside along with the fuses.

2022 Tab 320S Boodock
    2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    2013 KZ Durango 336RE
    Largo, Florida Winter

Thank you
    edited May 2022
    i am concerned that my 2022 tab boondock is missing important things.  1) should it have an SAE connector on the front?  2) It does not.  The fuse panel on the converter does not loo’ like the one @Sharon_is_SAM shared above.  

Mine is the 320
    edited May 2022
    @Sprocket - IIRC, the above photo was from a 400.  Did you receive an owners packet with the converter info?  It would help if you can identify the model.  Also, supply chain issues continue and nuCamp may have changed to a model that has the lithium function built in.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/lithium-solutions/

Regarding the lack of a solar port on the tub, I would ask your dealer to find out why it was not included.  You aren’t the only one to report missing the port.  Supply chain???
    The owners packet is vague.  There is a sheet from WFCO that tells you how to find your model number, but it does not specify what you have.  Mine is WF-8735-AD.  So no Li switch for me.  My rv dealer is pretty terrible to work with. The user manual is also vague about whether or not an SAE is included. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited May 2022
    The AD in the WACO model number, indicates is has auto detection for the switchover to lithium, and will set the converter to the proper battery type That has been installed.  The new TaB 400 converters have the manual switch to set battery type, as Sharon shared. 
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    edited May 2022
    @Sprocket - a TaB owner planning a large lithium install converted to the WFCO 8735-AD.

https://youtu.be/gxlWjzGLeb8
    https://youtu.be/edbwJ5lFplU

This is an official 2022 TaB 320 Boondock walk through video and at 4:56 it specifies that not all 2022 model year units will come equipped with the solar plug.
    edited May 2022
    FYI…..My 2022 Tab has the SAE plug and the LI switch on the fuse panel. Covid and shortages probably caused many changes through the build
    2022 Tab 320S Boodock
    2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    2013 KZ Durango 336RE
    Largo, Florida Winter

@Sprocket - a TaB owner planning a large lithium install converted to the WFCO 8735-AD.

https://youtu.be/gxlWjzGLeb8
    This is very exciting!  
    @homerd - so it’s not just the 400s with the Lithium switch.  So, either way, we will see switched or the AD (auto detection) versions.
    edited June 2022
    I still have not gotten around to installing my lithium battery.  Still debating putting it in the front tub (dead easy) vs inside install.   If I go with the inside install,  Would the following wiring work.
    1) install junction box in the tub to maintain the existing tub option and keep all of the wiring intact.
    2) put the battery in the tab grabbing the +/- from the smart controller in parallel. 

I like the idea of reusing the wires in the tub.   I guess I am not sure why I need to get to the junction box.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2022
    You can leave the wires terminated (insulted caps on the wires) in a small weatherproof box, and t connect the positive battery wire to this connection (see above) on your power controller, this would connect the inside Lithium battery to the power converter directly, and the battery negative to the DC ground (negative) buss behind the converter.  I would use a minimum of a AWG6 battery cable (or a no 4 would be better yet, depending on the length of the wire run).  This way, all your trailer connections for lights and brakes (emergency braking) would still work as if the battery was still in the tub.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2022
    @Sprocket, I installed my lithium battery inside the trailer and did not move the junction box.  It is discussed in the below discussion thread and includes my wiring diagram, if it is of interest to you.  I have since also changed out the WFCO 8735 power center with the Progressive Dynamics power center (lithium compatible):

Lithium or AGM Battery Mounted Inside a 320 Cabin? - Page 2 (vanillacommunity.com)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    Nice! I did dual BBs and had them installed in the other wheel well area on the passenger side. I have no battery trays; they are heavy enough and fit tight enough in that spot that they don't move. 
    Do you have any pictures and details of your install? I have one lithium battery in the front box at the moment but contemplating adding one more and moving everything inside too. Thanks!
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    I moved my battery and changed it to an AGM in my 2021 320S BD but put it under the bench on the passenger side (lots of room). Left all the original wiring intact adding a junction box in the tub and ran heavy gauge wire in flex conduit from the tub under the floor to the passenger side. Will be easy to change to lithium at a later time or even add a second AGM back in the tub but so far I haven't needed more battery.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    @SLJ great work. Do you have more details about your install. Mainly where the conduit runs (under the floor?) 
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure