Options

Solar Suitcases Compared?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited February 9
    I've had the 200W Renogy for two years now and it has good output and given me no problems. I moved and mounted it's Renogy controller inside the tub (pic) so it's closer to the batteries. I use a 20' extension with the suitcase. You get a lot less cable power loss when the controller is close to the batteries and not at the panels.
    Between it and my 105W roof panel I typically get at least 250W of charging. Even when overcast I get above 200W (pic). 

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 304
    I have an Ecoflow 220w bifacial panel. 30lbs. Works great. With it and the rooftop solar on my 23' 400 I am able to charge my batteries quite effectively.

https://www.ecoflow.com/us/220w-bifacial-solar-panel
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    I have the Ecoflow 160w suitcase. I got it a couple of years ago through Costco. I think that it's a bit heavier than the panels you're looking at, but it's pretty robust. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    I have the Bluetti 200w (snagged at a killer sale price a bit over a year ago), and am pleased with it, but if I were shopping now, that Ecoflow 220w bifacial that @elbolillo suggested would be really tempting. The 30 lb weight would be something of a drawback for me personally, though.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    edited February 10
    VictoriaP said:
    ... but if I were shopping now, that Ecoflow 220w bifacial that @elbolillo suggested would be really tempting.
    There's a good sale on the Ecoflow marked down from $649 to $399. It's still over twice as much as the Vevor that I posted above. Not to mention the 16.6 lbs compared to the Ecoflow's 30.9 lbs. Justified?

The couple of reviews I've seen on the Vevor are good, but wishing there was more.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 204
    I also have the 200W rigid Renogy foldable suitcase and got rid of the Renogy controller in favour of a Victron that I mounted inside close to my batteries. I'm happy with the performance but my only complaint is the weight. It's great when it's windy but they are annoying to carry. I can't see myself getting more if I wanted more than 200W of solar.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    I’ve had both 100 and 200w Renogy.  Both were fine units.  I sold them with previous trailers.
    Soon will be ordering another for my latest trailer.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    AnOldUR said:
    VictoriaP said:
    ... but if I were shopping now, that Ecoflow 220w bifacial that @elbolillo suggested would be really tempting.
    There's a good sale on the Ecoflow marked down from $649 to $399. It's still over twice as much as the Vevor that I posted above. Not to mention the 16.6 lbs compared to the Ecoflow's 30.9 lbs.

The couple of reviews I've seen on the Vevor are good, but wishing there was more.

The weight is a catch 22, as @Maple_Geek notes. Can be very beneficial in windy conditions, but a real pain to lift and carry. I’m disabled (more so now than when I first started Tabbing) and strength is very limited, so light weight is a high priority for me. 

One thing I’ll note is that a well made solar panel is often more efficient and will typically last longer. This is one area where I put cost as a lower priority versus a solid build and a good warranty/customer support. Which is why if I were in the market and able to handle that 30 lbs, the EcoFlow would be a no brainer at the sale price.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    @pthomas745, I used two 120 Bluetti Portable Solar Panels. I installed a Victron Solar Controller and external connector in my front tub. I use one panel for the camper although could combine them if needed when boondocking. I also bring an extension if I've park out of the sun. I use the other panel in conjunction with a small bluetti solar battery to run my portable ICECO GO20 Fridge/Freezer. It can basically run that indefinitely. Been working good for about 2 yrs so far. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,679
    I have panel envy for these new "portable" setups from all these companies.  Lighter, more powerful, etc. And, just easier to deal with.  I'm used to toting around the 100 watt "glass panel", at least.  I've set up a small 50 amp hour lithium battery to handle my  Alpicool fridge, and can easily switch my controller to the spare lithium battery to charge it up. 
    The luxury of all these amp hours and improved solar tech has been really something to watch since I bought my trailer.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    I've been using a couple of Jackery Solar Saga 100 watt panels which I really like.  A bit pricey but they are good panels and very easy to transport.    I like having two smaller panels so I have the flexibility of taking along and using only one if I want to.  If I use them for my power station then I can plug it in directly.  When I use it for the T@b I run then through a Goal Zero charge controller.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    edited February 18
    While I don't have much to add, it was amusing to see one of my first forum discussions resurrected.
    FWIW, The Renogy 100W suitcase with 10A PWM controller I bought in 2016 still meets my needs. Technology sure has advanced though--I've been interested in the more recent comments about the current generation of solar equipment.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    edited February 14
    Check out this site's channel for suitcase solar panel reviews. https://jasonoid.com/  Jason tests panels well and has good reviews on generators and 12V cooler-style fridges. I got a Bluetti AC180 for a great holiday price and bought an Oukitel 200W solar suitcase to charge it. I'm adding a solar port to our 320 along with another Victron solar controller so I can use the same suitcase to charge the trailer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BG9N6CZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock