Awning, Trailer Tent or Visor???

Comments

• TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    I went the tent route.  Need more space for family members.  I have used my tent 3 times.  This past weekend  was a disaster.   We had a steady rain.  No matter how many times we tighten it the top of the tent pooled the rain  and it started dripping in in the middle of the night.  When we dried it out the guide pole in the front fell apart.  Disappointed  that this happened  with just three weekend uses especially since the cost of the tent was almost 800. 
    We bought the tent, too. We took it to Oregon over the Thanksgiving weekend and actually really appreciated having it.  The tent, along with a propane heater, gave us a lot of extra space and heat.  Even in the low 30's we were able to stay warm.  I highly recommend it despite the crazy cost!
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm not sure it's waterproof but because of it's shape, rain runs off to the sides. Never had it drip on me.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Mike, mine went through a couple of torrential downpours, and the ground under the visor was dry. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Oh yeah, looks nice!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Love ours! And BTW, which vent cover is that you have on top? I'm planning on installing on too.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
    KyBawpaw said:
    Love ours! And BTW, which vent cover is that you have on top? I'm planning on installing on too.
    Mike has an Aero Flo.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • HappyCamperHappyCamper Member Posts: 29
    Hi, all!  I am the one with the visor that was too big or whatever!  Been awhile but wanted to let everyone know that Pahaque requested I return and they stated that the pole was the incorrect length.  They immediately corrected and returned.  Cool!
  • TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Well after my first experience in our tab I can honestly say I would not be without an awning shortly after arriving at our destination it started to rain and we're sitting comfortably under the awning during the rain with no problems.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Has anyone purchased the awning screen?  We were wondering about it...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Mike: We put ours up the other day to test before we did it "in public" Question on the door side the pole came out thru the end we did not look but is there a way to keep it in and not exit at the door side? we are planning on a short trip to the beach next Tuesday and will try it again.Thanks 
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • LorieTLorieT Member Posts: 24
    Is the teardrop store the only place you can find tents/awnings/visors that use the Keder rail system?  I found this awning, (European company), but like the style --- http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.com/isabella-tab-caravan-sun-canopy-awning-76826.html
    Lorie Tuma, Mt. Pleasant, MI
    2015 Tab S
  • LorieTLorieT Member Posts: 24
    Agreed.  I just like the style and wish there were some alternatives. I also wish some of the items came in white ... 
    Lorie Tuma, Mt. Pleasant, MI
    2015 Tab S
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    White? Lorie, has thou met critters who nest up in trees? I think white anything would get stained :) Good luck finding what you want. Don't let my aversion to white pants or shirts deter you and your decorating vision (or anything other white thing that seems to attract stains in my life)! Decorate on!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited May 2016
    ST_Bob said:
    The European T@B is different enough in overall dimensions that it probably won't fit a Pleasant Valley made T@B.  For example, the European T@B is about 4-6 inches higher inside which would raise and lengthen the Keder rail. 

Besides, 640.38 British Pounds is 925.58 US Dollars (plus shipping). The TeardropShop awning, while not as stylish, is only $435. The Safari Alto Trailer Awning by PahaQue is only $389.  The T@B Visor is $250 and the Visor XL is $295.  Is it worth ordering from England, paying more and getting something that may or may not fit?
    That is actually not accurate. There are LG T@b owners who use the Isabella on their LG T@b and report it is a very good fit. The Euro T@b you describe is the 400, they have a standard size T@b, too. The Isabella, by Walker is more expensive, but it is also a significantly higher quality tent and it looks a lot better, IMHO. To some, the better quality and look is worth the upgrade. It has also been reported that setting it up is not a 1 person job. You can buy the Isabella form the Teardropshop, now, too.

The Safari Alto Awing is for the Safari Alto trailer, not the T@b.

In addition, there are vintage trailer awning companies, like Marty's Vintage Awnings that sell awnings that will work with the T@b.

You can also sometimes find the old Thermarest tent rooms for sale on eBay or other members. These usually go fast. Early DM T@bs also had more decorative awnings available.

I had my own XL Visor from Paha Que and found a fabric I really liked and convinced my mom (who is getting a nice Mother's Day gift this year) to make matching window awnings and a custom Visor XL for me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    If you go tot he FB Group and search "Walker" you can see photos of at least one LG T@b owner with the tent room.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Here is a photo I took of a Walker tent room last year at Tearstock.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Nice pict! Thanks Cyc.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    LorieT said:
    Is the teardrop store the only place you can find tents/awnings/visors that use the Keder rail system?  I found this awning, (European company)
    Lorie, if you can find the basic awning that came with the early Dutchmen T@Bs, it is almost identical.  From time to time you'll find them fro sale.  I'd post a photo, but would have to go through resizing and don't have the time right now.  Or can post on FB and tag you.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Duh, why not send a photo to you through FB Messenger. lol

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Pepsi22Pepsi22 Member Posts: 23
    How do you leave this thread?
  • lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    Wondering if answers on this would differ in the Pacific Northwest versus other parts of the country.  Reason I ask is I had originally thought I wanted the tent ... but after one trip, couldn't figure out how we would use it out here.  The bugs are few and the evenings are cool ... meaning I think we would rather be by the fire?  Are there any PNW campers who still love the tent ... would love to hear why ... thanks!
    John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Does the awning fit well on the Outback?  One of the customer reviews in the Teardrop Shop said it was too short because they are made to fit the T@B.  Seems odd they wouldn't size the awning to fit the higher Outback model.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    A couple comments. We used our awning throughout last summer and it worked well. Our camp kitchen was set up on one side and our sitting/eating area was on the other side. It was the perfect amount of space for the two of us and our dog when he came along. We did find when it was hot and sunny it got very hot under the awning.

We found that when it was raining and breezy the rain would come in thefront and we'd have to move everything closer to the trailer.  Our last trip of the year it was pretty chilly and we set up a small propane heater under the awning but with the front open it was of limited use. For these two reasons we've bought a front wall and will take it along to use when needed. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited January 2017
    Does the awning fit well on the Outback?  One of the customer reviews in the Teardrop Shop said it was too short because they are made to fit the T@B.  Seems odd they wouldn't size the awning to fit the higher Outback model.
    I don't have an Outback, but I can tell you the awning is long enough for the sides reach the ground (and even drag a bit) with the regular T@B. Since the awning only attaches to the upper keder rail--and the keder rail is the same on the Outback--at worst you might get a little gap between the back bottom of the sidewall and the ground. It's not like the awning is an enclosed structure to begin with.

I vaguely recall some comments about the tent not fitting properly, but the tent has an integrated floor and also attaches to the lower keder rail, so I can see why the added height of the outback could create fitting problems there.

If I'm wrong about this, hopefully someone with an Outback (and an awing) will set the record straight!
    2015 T@B S
  • lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    We have an xl visor and a tent.  We use the visor for short stays especially when we will be away from the camper most of the time.  We use the tent when we will be staying in one place for several days and when we will be spending a good part of our time in camp.  We decided against the awning because we live in the North East and we definitely have a bug season.  The tent is great for this but we also found in the late fall on a sunny day the tent will warm up very nicely and it is very comfortable during the day.  The flip side is that it can get quite warm in the summer even with the windows and doors open.  For us the tent was a better choice then the awning.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We have the tent and we set it up if we are going to be in one place 3 or more days. It makes everything better, we can get out of the rain or the bugs and it is a great place to put stuff that would otherwise stay in the TV. When it is raining we zip up all the tent windows and close the trailer window that faces away from the tent. Then turn the ceiling fan to intake on a medium speed and it blows the tent up like a balloon and all the water runs off it without pooling anywhere. You can also turn the AC on and it will cool the tent too. We usually tie it off to trees when we can. Never had it up in a windy area though.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I like using the fan to inflate the tent.  I will remember that in the future.  We had the tent up in moderate winds and it did surprisingly well.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

The awning fits OK with the Outback.  The two roll-up side panels near the trailer side don't quite touch the ground, but still provide enough wind/rain protection for me.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Perfect!  Thanks OutbackAZ.  That's the answer I was hoping for!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed