Options

Alde System

Comments

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Thank you!
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Judymac -- Make sure you allow enough time to properly de-winterize and sanitize the fresh water tank -- don't hurry.  I have read elsewhere that you need to let the bleach solution "sit" for an hour before flushing.  When I de-winterized last April, the whole process -- draining, sanitizing, flushing -- took about 3 hours.  I felt safe drinking from the fresh water tank because I knew I had properly sanitized it. ;)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Cheryl74074Cheryl74074 Member Posts: 71
    Beth- where did you find sanitizing directions? I'm still not comfortable drinking from the tank with just a one-time/year sanitizing schedule.
    Cheryl, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, 2015 T@b S Maxx (T@bitha)
  • Options
    Jenn- that's a helpful website! Do you have the digital control panel? Ours is NOT digital, and we didn't know exactly what the "Lightning bolt" options on our panel meant. Based on that website, maybe one lightning bolt=1 amp, 2 bolts=2amps; 3 bolts=3 amps?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited October 2014

No, I don't have the digital panel and I am glad - (more power drain)

RE: the electricity -

Wizard 1880 wrote back on page 2 of the thread:

"Now here's the real bummer....In the USA, our Alde's run 120V, so we only get two (2) heating elements, each around 850/900w each.  Setting #1 and #2 are the same, just ~900w.  But, setting 3 gives you the full ~1800W.  Sadly, we don't get 3000W of heating here :(

(NOTE: do not use setting #3 if you are connected to 15/20A power on a standard outlet -- The extension cord might overheat, or you could trip the breaker.  Connect to 30A power to use this safely)"

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Cheryl -- On page 11 of the T@B Owner's Manual it describes the sanitizing process -- ignore what it says about the anode rod.  The Alde system doesn't have an anode rod.  I read on another forum about letting the bleach solution sit for an hour, but it would probably get the job done is a lesser amount of time, too.  :)>-
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Perhaps a dumb question but would I have to "winterize" (is that the same as sanitizing?) since I live in southern AZ?
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Winterizing is different from sanitizing. You only need to winterize if your T@b will be experiencing freezing temperatures. Sanitizing is done to keep your water supply safe for use (bacteria can grow in the tank).
  • Options
    Reading Alde manual. Saw recent question re: if Aldie requires water for heat? Mixed com,nets and the manual have us confused
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The Alde system doesn't require water for heat - it's a sealed glycol system. Little to no maintenance except to check the glycol level once in awhile. If you want to have the Alde heat your water then of course you need water :-)
  • Options
    Thank you! Thought so. Confirmation is awesome. Love this forum, so helpful

• Options
    Do you have 3010? Our settings show water faucet and we became confused

• Options
    Can we run Alde heat on propane only?

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    judymac - Do you mean without a hookup?

I've been boondocking for a couple of weeks without hookups - do have solar panels - and the Alde has been working fine. Needs electrical (battery) for the pump to circulate the glycol but doesn't seem to wear down the batter at all. It's a pretty efficient system as far as I can tell.

Now if you really want to kill your battery, leave the outside light on all night.
    The other thing that uses more electricity than I expected is the ceiling fan.
  • Options
    Yes! Husband is confused by the manual and he is sharp! We haven't used it and I am antsy.

• Options
    Pxlated - what size/brand panels are you using and are you pleased with the results? I had (2) 100 watt Renogy panels which worked well for me but were too big to haul around, so I sold them and will be investing in something new in 2015.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

I am trying to put together a document for new Alde users that explains in one spot, basically, everything we have collectively learned and shared here. This is not the final format and I plan to add photos. I would be very interested in your feedback. I have one spot that is highlighted in yellow that I believe is incorrect if I understood J.D. Watson's feedback from Alde correctly.

Please tell me what is:

• Wrong
    • Confusing
    • Missing

Plus any other feedback that you might have.

• Options
    Thank you!! Hope I haven't bugged you to death.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Judy, not at all! We all had very similar questions to you. It is such a hassle to have to try to dig through 2-3 different manuals and still not have your questions answered. I believe this thread has a lot of great information, I just wanted to sort of sum it up and be able to repurpose it into something new Alde users can have available to help get them started.

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Jenn, That document is exceptionally well written and agrees with everything I have found. My minor comment is with the end of the first line, the second sentence which is simply missing a verb where you probably intended to say something like I am writing this ...
    Thank you for spending the time, care and effort to provide a significant, useful resource.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    Thanks, Gil - yeah I found that tonight.

• Options
    We received new instructions on winterizing our T@B. We learned that not all 2014's are the same. More confusion. Thanks for your help.

• Options
    Another laugh. Received yet ANOTHER email from LG with directions and picture of the Alde. Once again, still not our model. I sent LG a picture of the actual Alde, 3 valve system, we have. Response: Ignore the bypass valve. I give up. If any of you are interested in doing us a favor before I put FOR SALE on our new T@B, let me know and I will post the actual picture of ours. Not all 2014 T@B's S M@ax are alike, that is for sure. Thanks for your patience

• Options
    Judy, can you post a picture of your set-up? Here are instructions without the bypass valves from the Yahoo group.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Jenn...outstanding consolidation of all the resources we've tapped over many months...three extra Swedish meatballs for you! I don't see anything to correct (other than what's been mentioned), but it would be nice to know more detail, like a supplier, of that obscure glycol heating fluid. I have to admit,, I haven't poked my head back there (the panel behind the "couch" is screwed shut). Although II have a dealer 20 miles away, many (like you) don't,, so it seems inevitable at some point at new T@B owner might need to to top the system off. Thanks so much for pulling this together!!!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    breakawaybreakaway Member Posts: 38

We have had the same problem. Our plumbing looks nothing like the pic that was sent out from LG. We also have the 2014 T@B S Max model.

My wife is an electrical engineer and travels all over the world working with car companies and their control software. She could not understand all the confusing information and conflicting items in the instruction manual so based on our own experience( we have had our T@B since April) she wrote our own manual that we will be publishing tonight. I think many T@B owners new(especially new) and old will find the manual helpful. She spent many hours on the internet, calling suppliers, taking pictures and doing research that took much  patience. Some of the info is just what we learned by trial and error (mostly error). 

We really love our T@B and just think they could have done a much better job of explaining things to people like ourselves that were completely new to RVing. 

Any comments on the manual or mistakes that she made will be appreciated!!

Breakaway

Rick and Sandy Stevens

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I'm going to bring up one subject that does explain part of the problem with the instructions.  As you all know (or maybe not), the Little Guys are made by the Amish.  The Amish do not use the product they produce.  They are given instructions on how to do what, but as far as how it actually, works, they may not know how it works, and they won't be using the end product. 

Now this doesn't necessarily excuse the company from being able to produce an up-to-date manual, but it does explain to me why you T@B owners can't get an up-to-date manual.  Also, since Little Guy is a small company, they do make changes as they find a better way to do things, or when a problem is uncovered.  This means that maybe the 2nd month of production on a new year's model may have a new change that wasn't available at the start of the new year's model.  They can quickly correct problems on the newer models. 

And, another problem is the person who is in charge of writing the manual is the busiest person in the Pleasant Valley factory--Ed.  He is the one everyone wants to answer their question, the one who can figure out how to make something work.  The one who has helped so many of us when we had problems.

So, if you guys, who do use the T@B's can make up a manual, I'm all for it.  BUT, please double check your manual to make sure the information is correct.  If someone suggests a correction that needs to be done, please correct the file.  Michigan Mike and I, as Admins, have Silver Shadows and we don't have T@B's.  We have to rely on you guys to help each other with the really technical parts of the T@B.  Sure we can help with some electrical problems, towing problems, but the Alde is beyond my knowledge level, and I think the same applies to Mike.

Go for it, help each other, and by all means, make sure you don't have any burst pipes or tanks from the winter's cold.

Thanks to those who are making up the manuals.

Verna (Admin/Moderator for Little Guy and T@B, when needed)

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Jenn, will do tomorrow. Alde recommends no anti-freeze in lines. We are waiting to hear from dealer if he put anti-freeze in the lines. We are reluctant to use otherwise.
    Thanks to all!

• Options
    Thank you Rick and Sandy

• Options

Verna, I understand the basis of your comments, but I actually believe given the number of models they have out, they probably need to hire someone to create and maintain user guides as well as develop instructional videos, someone with instructional design skills. It is just one of the costs of doing business. Ed cannot reasonably be expected to handle all of the phone inquiries and problems people have as well keep that type of content up to date. If they hired a training person, that person could also do training at dealers as well as hold webinars and conference calls for ongoing training, If it sounds like I am writing a job description for myself, I am. :)

We all know that the user forums are invaluable, but it can be pretty hard for a new user to piece together what they need to know and easy to miss important information. I think part of the problem with the Alde is that their manuals are not geared towards American users. Couple that with the different set-ups with different T@b and dealers who do not know the systems and it is a recipe for disaster. 

I am really excited to see what Sandy has for us!